Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/24/2024 4:20:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: warlord]
This short vid is really interesting, regarding the F-35 phase array radar antennae. But realize that the F-35 is the stripped down version of the F-22. The Chinese and Russians may have a competing versions of this plane, but I think it is just looks. BTW I wonder if the F-35 processor can play Maple Story at while doing all of that detecting stuff?

The F-35's Stealthy Radar is the key to it's success.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Dr-HlIR481I?feature=share

ETA: okay'd, made it hot
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Stripped down F-22? It has a 20 year technology difference lol
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:22:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By burnka871:
View Quote

FPNI.

The F-22 wishes it had the technology of the F-35...
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:23:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By warlord:
This short vid is really interesting, regarding the F-35 phase array radar antennae. But realize that the F-35 is the stripped down version of the F-22. The Chinese and Russians may have a competing versions of this plane, but I think it is just looks. BTW I wonder if the F-35 processor can play Maple Story at while doing all of that detecting stuff?

View Quote
Geeze warlord, make a link
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:28:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyInfantryVet] [#4]
F-35 is like a Fighter Jet AWACS. Super bad ass. With the integration of being able to direct 4th Gen missile truck's weapons onto target that are too big to fit in the Stealthy internal bays. It's ridiculous.

We've always been at the edge of aircraft design and tactics. But I think we've really left the enemy in the dust, now.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:31:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Chaingun:

Sorry, old age is setting in, I am starting to lose it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:32:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By dorobuta:

FPNI.

View All Quotes

FPNI.

It should have the tech of the F-35 and should still be rolling off the assembly lines
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:36:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm no fighter pilot, but I play a little Command: Modern Operations, and IMO LPI radar is a super power, and AN/APG-85 will be even better.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:38:55 PM EDT
[#8]
The F22 wishes it had the F35 avionics suite.

LOL

The F35 doesn’t even use a HUD. It’s all in the helmet.

You use a sort of VR to see through the aircraft. Even through your feet.

People who know the true capacity of the F35s we operate not the ones we sell won’t tell you what they can do.

The F35 community is now like the submarine community. Tight lipped.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:38:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: castlebravo84] [#9]
Originally Posted By cyclone:

It should have the tech of the F-35 and should still be rolling off the assembly lines
View All Quotes

FPNI.

Yeah, and we should have 500 Seawolf class subs, 50 Ford class carriers, at least a half dozen Jupiter class Battlestars, and no taxes whatsoever.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#10]
The battle penguin, AKA Fat Amy, is officially the Panther.

I can live with calling it the Panther.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:46:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By castlebravo84:
Yeah, and we should have 500 Seawolf class subs, 50 Ford class carriers, at least a half dozen Jupiter class Battlestars, and no taxes whatsoever.
View Quote

Maybe after the human race becomes a Kardeshev 2 level civilization. When an F-22 becomes a rich mans toy.

Until then this shit is expensive and no one has any money. Besides what does an F-35 do against the kind of people who can't muster better air defense than a 20mm cannon that a C-130 loaded with bombs literally made of garbage can't do better?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:47:33 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

The 60% of the time it's mission capable, it works every time. Never heard the Battle 🐧 one before. I kinda like that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:51:21 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

I had not heard the “Fat Amy” nickname. That’s awesome!
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

The F-22 is getting a massive upgrade to stay deadly for years to come
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Lockheed Martin has built 1,000 F-35s (so let's bust some myths)
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

The 60% of the time it's mission capable, it works every time. Never heard the Battle 🐧 one before. I kinda like that.
View Quote

F-35 driver told me the Battle penguin, when I was commenting that I thought Fat Amy was beautiful....
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

FPNI.

How about a 2-seat version of the F-22, where the backseater is in charge of all the cool tech (updated to 2020s, not 1990s), including controlling UCAVs and drone swarms, etc.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:28:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RattleCanAR] [#18]

View Quote

Fat Amy. No matter what they say. That has been a thing for few years. The whale at the bar that turns out be mind blowing in bed.

The Viper isn’t the name of the F16. Yet, the demo jet is painted like a snake. Those who crew and fly it decide the name.

Unless you fly a Mud Hen. Then others named it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:28:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By MtnMusic:

How about a 2-seat version of the F-22, where the backseater is in charge of all the cool tech (updated to 2020s, not 1990s), including controlling UCAVs and drone swarms, etc.

View Quote

Cheaper to build a new design.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:
F-35 is like a Fighter Jet AWACS. Super bad ass. With the integration of being able to direct 4th Gen missile truck's weapons onto target that are too big to fit in the Stealthy internal bays. It's ridiculous.

We've always been at the edge of aircraft design and tactics. But I think we've really left the enemy in the dust, now.
View Quote
Don't we think the Chinese have already stolen all the technology?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:51:31 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

Why do you need a two seater if the plane can fly itself? The "pilot" in future fighters is really going to be a WSO telling his plane and his drones what to do and letting them handle the maneuvering.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By southerncross:

They got blueprints on structural designs and it's been a money sink for them to try and figure it out. They don't have the capability to design/engineer/produce an F35 even if we gave them everything.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hater:

They got blueprints on structural designs and it's been a money sink for them to try and figure it out. They don't have the capability to design/engineer/produce an F35 even if we gave them everything.

Yeah, just because you have the plans that doesn't mean you can make the thing.

The engines are the most jarring example. The Chinese cannot replicate something like the GE-129 engine that powers an F-16. So their aircraft look like old people scrabbling to climb into the air as opposed to leaping off a runway like western fighters do.

They have been putting a lot of work into addressing this though. I think the J-20 uses domestic made engines instead of Russian engines.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:11:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:
The F22 wishes it had the F35 avionics suite.

LOL

The F35 doesn’t even use a HUD. It’s all in the helmet.

You use a sort of VR to see through the aircraft. Even through your feet.

People who know the true capacity of the F35s we operate not the ones we sell won’t tell you what they can do.

The F35 community is now like the submarine community. Tight lipped.
View Quote

The F117 bunch was like that, even more.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Look familiar except for the shitty Harbor Freight motors of course?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:27:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grendelsbane] [#26]

View All Quotes

FPNI.

Minus the speed and maneuverability, isn’t that a B-21?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:28:07 PM EDT
[#27]
But realize that the F-35 is the stripped down version of the F-22.
View Quote
Uh, no. It isn't a "version" of the F-22 any more than an F-16 is a "stripped down version" of an F-15. They are entirely different designs produced for different roles and separated in development by a decade.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes

They have their own copy
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:37:24 PM EDT
[#29]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/255381/Image_1_jpeg-3196990.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/255381/Image_2_jpeg-3196991.JPG

View Quote

All they can do is copy
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:53:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wheel] [#30]
Phased array radars are not new. Large ones are used in PAVE PAWS early warning radar installations that monitor US air space, and smaller ones have been fitted into B-52's, F16's, etc.  Search for "AESA radar" and you'll see the history.  Of course the F-35 system is superior in some ways, more powerful CPU's, more efficient emitters, etc. But the principle is the same. Also used on many ships today including carriers, AEGIS cruisers, etc.

ETA:  Another example, we're phasing out AWACS with a mechanically rotating radar to replace it with the "Wedge Tail" that uses AESA.  Nobody would design a new military aircraft today using a mechanical radar.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:22:07 PM EDT
[#31]

The engines are the most jarring example. The Chinese cannot replicate something like the GE-129 engine that powers an F-16. So their aircraft look like old people scrabbling to climb into the air as opposed to leaping off a runway like western fighters do.

They have been putting a lot of work into addressing this though. I think the J-20 uses domestic made engines instead of Russian engines.
View Quote

They’re rolling out the WS-15s that allow for super cruise on the J-20s now. Big upgrade. Not sure in what capacity, or if they are reliable though.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:28:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By xXGearheadXx:

They’re rolling out the WS-15s that allow for super cruise on the J-20s now. Big upgrade. Not sure in what capacity, or if they are reliable though.
View Quote

Supercruise... Great. That should give them the confidence to start trying to kick some metaphorical 10 year old boys teeth in.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:45:48 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

A Chinese super cruising jet engine?

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:46:52 PM EDT
[#34]
The Chinese plan to deal with F22s and F16s is to kill them on the ground.

Because they can't do it when they are in the air.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote
How about ... no?  The mission systems of twenty years ago obviated the need for a weapons system operator.  And the systems have only matured, advanced and grown since - reaching levels I had once all but stricken from the books.  

1990s tech?  Only if we are talking about stuff from the likes of Cray, etc.  And mission systems have only advanced from there.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:48:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By HIMARS13A:
The Chinese plan to deal with F22s and F16s is to kill them on the ground.

Because they can't do it when they are in the air.
View Quote

The way they are invading, and with their navy, they may be able to pull it off.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:52:40 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

In a nutshell. Yes. Good description.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By BillyDBerger:

The way they are invading, and with their navy, they may be able to pull it off.
View Quote

Agreed, but that's not the F35s fault, it's Congress and the GOFOs.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Makes sense. Radar is like light. Imagine being in a dark forest with an enemy. If no one has a flashlight, you two just stumble in the dark until you bump into each other. Radar is like having a flashlight. You can detect someone from a distance with it. However, the enemy also has a general idea of where you are too. Stealthy radar would be a flashlight that only you can see. Basically like having NVGs.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:58:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Josh:

A Chinese super cruising jet engine?

View Quote

Think they could pull that off in 100 years?

How about 30?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:01:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By HIMARS13A:

Agreed, but that's not the F35s fault, it's Congress and the GOFOs.
View Quote

I agree.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

FPNI.

It’s alright.   It will start being phased out in 2030 to make room for the NGAD fighter.  Can’t wait to see that one.  In the meantime, we will just have to enjoy the fact that we have the finest air force on the planet.  The F22 first flew 27 years ago.  China and Russia put up the best they could offer, the J20 and SU57.  Even with all the time and effort they spent, neither plane is stealthy.  They couldn’t get their stolen tech to work.  China still can’t build a decent engine for the J20. The F22 can run circles around them.  We learned quite a bit from the F22 program and it provided great security for our country even if we only built 195 of the intended 750.  The rest of the world is still scared shitless of it.  Best of all, we have equally impressive pilots to go with it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:09:17 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

I work in composites fabrication. There's a ton of art behind the science and the detail design to turn some burnt string and glue into a functional structure.

And that's not even getting into the chemistry of the resin. That's black magic, even to me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:18:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Krombompulos_Michael] [#44]

View All Quotes

They produce far less thrust than desired and reliability is low.  The WS15 overheats easily and can’t sustain its maximum output for long without damaging the engine. They still rely heavily on the Russian Saturn AL31FN engines that are used in the SU27.  Russia wouldn’t sell them just the engines though.  They have to buy the entire plane then use the engine from it.  They were eventually able to copy the engine.  They have been on a learning curve since and made the WS10 then the WS15. They can’t make enough WS15’s for all the J20’s and can’t rely on them for combat.

China has had to acknowledge that the J20 isn’t what it was supposed to be.  They said they have the technology, but their workers lack the skill to build it still.  The J20 is a steaming puddle of diarrhea.  It is reverse engineered from US stealth tech and Russian engines.  Truly a Harbor Freight level of engineering.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:28:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By DeltaV42:

I work in composites fabrication. There's a ton of art behind the science and the detail design to turn some burnt string and glue into a functional structure.

And that's not even getting into the chemistry of the resin. That's black magic, even to me.
View Quote

I've been reading a book called when the heavens went on sale. Where they spend some time talking about how Rocket Lab worked their way around ITAR restrictions to build their rockets. It makes for a pretty strange story how a NZ company has now put multiple US National Reconnaissance Office payloads in orbit.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:39:19 PM EDT
[#46]

I've been reading a book called when the heavens went on sale. Where they spend some time talking about how Rocket Lab worked their way around ITAR restrictions to build their rockets. It makes for a pretty strange story how a NZ company has now put multiple US National Reconnaissance Office payloads in orbit.
View All Quotes

Making something is one thing. Making it at high rate is another thing entirely.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:51:50 AM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

That was an interesting book. I knew/know a lot of the people/programs/companies second hand from parallel companies/work over the years. Was really cool tying together some of the early startup stuff those companies were doing trying to break out of the "old space" mindset.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:03:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt-Planet] [#48]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/255381/Image_1_jpeg-3196990.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/255381/Image_2_jpeg-3196991.JPG

View Quote

That's a KF-21. South Korean designed fighter. Lockheed is literally helping them design it and was authorized to transfer some aspects of F35 designs to them. So yeah, it looks like an F-35 in some aspects.

Plus, South Korea bought F35s, too.

And it uses GE engines.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:41:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Russia and China can make look alike planes but they won't come close to the performance of the F-35 and its systems.  Not even close.

A look at the Russian Superjet 100 aka SU-95 and Chinese ARJ-21 and C919 airliners shows the capabilities of Russia and China.

These planes use a lot of Western systems and parts, they are not all Russian or Chinese.  Yes, these airliners are in regular service but they are not competitive in operating costs and availability rate.  

Superjet is much like the Airbus A-220, which was the Bombardier C series.  Airlines in the West have not been able to make money using the Superjet.

ARJ-21 is basically the DC-9, MD-80 design, it would not be profitable in the West.  Boeing 717 is much like a modern update of the DC-9-30 and it is profitable for Delta and HAL.

C919 is sort of a clone of the A320 and B737 planes.  It had significant redesign before entering into service.  China Eastern has five in service I don't think anybody else is flying them.  C919 will never compete with A320 series and the B737 series.  The economics are just not there.

Cloning airliners did not work for Russia and China, cloning far more complicated F-35s and F-22s won't work either.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:46:22 AM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

FPNI.

Japan wanted to pay for exactly that, and the US told them no.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top