Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2024 5:47:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: talontsi_95]
Was anyone else’s mind blown when you found this tool? I used to mince garlic with a knife!! Now I can process multiple cloves at a time and its perfect.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Smashing garlic with a chefs knife then dicing is garlic processing master race.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to the 19th Century.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 5:54:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Exercising my knife skills is therapeutic.  

I could see if I had to do a restaurant quantity but I can clean my chef knife faster.  

The gadget I kind of want is a file type zest grater.  I bought a rounded one andI hate it.   The flat ones weren’t that common back then.

We had a cheese grater that had a drum and a hand crank growing up.  That was quick.  I remeber my mom always having me use it for her grated cheeses like for mac and cheese or even parmigiana.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Im excited to spend more time in this forum. Clearly everyone here understands what Im getting at.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 6:26:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a press when in a hurry, a knife when I want slices or chunks, a microplane when I want paste.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Skunkeye:
I use a press when in a hurry, a knife when I want slices or chunks, a microplane when I want paste.
View Quote

A microplane? Im excited to hear about this.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:05:48 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

I use paste when I want paste or am in a hurry

So basically I use mostly paste
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Garlic presses are awesome.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By jagdkommando:
Smashing garlic with a chefs knife then dicing is garlic processing master race.
View Quote

This
I'd spend more time looking for my garlic press than it takes to mince with my chef's knife.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Worth it
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:35:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By talontsi_95:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Microplane is super useful
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:54:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Hobs98:

Microplane is super useful
View Quote

I mostly use that for zesting lemons/limes. Occasionally ginger.

I use a knife for garlic.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:46:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By CajunMojo:

View Quote

I need to get better with a knife than. Its time consuming for me to mince garlic. Got any videos that may show better technique?
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#14]
The key to mincing garlic when using a knife is the smash and smear.

Smash the garlic harder than you think is necessary and then smear it along the cutting board. Dice, smear, dice, smear until you reach the consistency you want. This technique holds most of the garlic in position on the board instead of 3/4 of the clove sticking to the knife. Trying to dice it up like a miniature onion can be done, but it sucks with regard to time taken and overall satisfaction.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:12:23 PM EDT
[#15]

I need to get better with a knife than. Its time consuming for me to mince garlic. Got any videos that may show better technique?
View All Quotes

Not really. Method may vary depending on what I'm cooking. Sometimes I like whole thin sliced for Italian, etc.

If you want to dice, start basically start with sliced, turn longways, julienne them, then cut crossways for diced. Shouldn't be too hard if you have a good sharp knife.

Alternately, smash the fuck out of it and start whacking. It'll end up diced at some point.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:12:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:15:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:23:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Paulie has this wonderful system for doing the garlic...
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:32:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 12:00:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By TNC:
Lazy master race checking in  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Minced-Garlic-in-Water-8-oz/316007094
View Quote

I still have that stuff in the fridge. Fresh garlic just adds so much more flavor than the jarred stuff.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 2:12:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 4:54:44 PM EDT
[#22]
OP, you still peeling garlic with your fingernails?

Fastest Way To Peel Garlic (20 Cloves In 20 Seconds) | Food Wishes
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:45:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By llanero:
OP, you still peeling garlic with your fingernails?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc7w_PGSt9Y
View Quote

I smash it with the side of my knife and than yank off the skin. Didnt watch video because I cant think of a better/faster way to do it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Subnet:
They're useful for all kinds of things - super versatile. Every kitchen should have one.

www.amazon.com/dp/B00004S7V8
View Quote
Zyliss "Susi" is where it's at. They might be discontinued, but they make knockoffs.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:24:13 PM EDT
[#25]

I smash it with the side of my knife and than yank off the skin. Didnt watch video because I cant think of a better/faster way to do it.
View Quote

This is the way. I'll occasionally use the flat end of the meat tenderizer to smash it. That bowl method in the video is more trouble than it's worth IMO.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:28:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:36:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Sierra5:

Is that the one Sam the cooking guy loves?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sierra5:
Originally Posted By R2point0:
Zyliss "Susi" is where it's at. They might be discontinued, but they make knockoffs.

Is that the one Sam the cooking guy loves?

I looked this up. Says no need to peel, then they have this pic which appears to have the peels minced with the garlic.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:39:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:54:29 PM EDT
[#29]

I looked this up. Says no need to peel, then they have this pic which appears to have the peels minced with the garlic.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59505/Capture_JPG-3181620.JPG
View Quote
That's Zyliss's newer version. If it's anything like the old one, you don't need to peel - the husk stays in the press body while the garlicky goodness squirts out the holes.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:55:43 PM EDT
[#30]
That's Zyliss's newer version. If it's anything like the old one, you don't need to peel - the husk stays in the press body while the garlicky goodness squirts out the holes.
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59505/Capture_JPG-3181620.JPG

But you see what I see in the pic right?
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:36:10 PM EDT
[#31]

But you see what I see in the pic right?
View Quote
Now that I've blown up the pic I do. All 8 can say is that my old version doesn't do that.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:32:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#32]
Good for ginger too if you get a metal one.

I wouldn't bother with that gimmicky one... there's clearly garlic peel in that.  Garlic is not hard to peel. Grab the clove, twist/flex it, and the peel cracks right off.   If you want to do a bunch of cloves at once (like a dozen or two) just put them in a medium metal pot with lid and shake the piss out of it - t's loud, but when you open the lid they'll all be peeled in like 30 seconds.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:35:37 PM EDT
[#33]
I have 4 different ones.  

The shiny chromes ones don't do well in the dishwasher.  I've been using a nylon one that is easier to clean and doesn't corrode in the DW and it's been great.

I use them all the time.  I'll use it in an hour or so to add some garlic to a pot of chili I'm cooking.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:31:05 PM EDT
[#34]

I need to get better with a knife
View Quote

This is true if you're going to do much at all in the kitchen. I'm a poor, so I started with a department store set, then I replaced one with a higher-quality 6" chef's knife. Every once in a while, I wish I'd upgraded the 8" one first, but that's your call. The 6" is still a good general use knife.

Knives are a personal choice when it comes to the shape, weight, balance, etc. Getting a quality steel that'll get good and sharp is crucial. There is probably a knife thread on here somewhere if you want some tips on brands or styles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top