BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
The Roman Catechism (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 6:14:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EastWest] [#1]
Thanks for posting this latest RCT, abnk. Fr Nix's discussion is very interesting.

I've heard a Catholic priest of the Byzantine Rite identify Gehenna with purgatory, at a parish Bible study from about ten years ago.

Much of this teaching from Trent has been new to me since my seminary studies. As the Orthodox Church's position is pretty reticent when it comes to describing much in the way of specifics on the afterlife, beyond that the soul in eternity will either be in God's kingdom or outside it.  Historically in the East there is the basic acceptance of an intermediate state (allegorically toll houses that some compared to purgatory, such as Patriarch of Constantinople Gennadios Scholaros). More recently, this intermediate (toll houses) state has been supported by St Ignatius Brianchaninov and St. Seraphim Rose.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 8:20:12 AM EDT
[#2]
RCT26: Part I: THE CREED - ARTICLE V : "HE DESCENDED INTO HELL, THE THIRD DAY HE ROSE AGAIN FROM THE DEAD"
  Second Part of this Article: "The Third Day He arose again from the Dead", "He arose Again", "From the Dead"

Additional thoughts: Father talks about an experience in the Holy Land.

RCT 26: Christ Rose from the Dead.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 2:50:10 PM EDT
[#3]
RCT27: Part I: THE CREED - ARTICLE V : "HE DESCENDED INTO HELL, THE THIRD DAY HE ROSE AGAIN FROM THE DEAD"
  "The Third Day", "According to the Scriptures", Three Useful Considerations on this Article, Necessity Of The Resurrection

Additional thoughts: Old Testament prophecies.  Our own resurrection.

RCT 27: “The Third Day.”
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 5:39:16 PM EDT
[#4]
RCT28: Part I: THE CREED - ARTICLE V : "HE DESCENDED INTO HELL, THE THIRD DAY HE ROSE AGAIN FROM THE DEAD"
  Ends Of The Resurrection, Advantages Of The: Resurrection, Signs Of Spiritual Resurrection

Additional thoughts: Effects of baptism and confession.  Resolutions for a new life.

RCT 28: The Goal of the Resurrection.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 11:42:22 AM EDT
[#5]
RCT29: Part I: THE CREED - ARTICLE VI : "HE ASCENDED INTO HEAVEN, SITTETH AT THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD THE FATHER ALMIGHTY"
  Importance Of This Article, First Part of this Article: "He Ascended into Heaven", "Into Heaven", "He Ascended", Second Part of this Article: "Sitteth at the Right Hand of God the Father Almighty", "At the Right Hand", "Sitteth", Reflections on the Ascension: Its History, Greatness Of This Mystery, Reasons Of The Ascension

Additional thoughts: Interesting thoughts on the return of Enoch and Elias.

RCT 29: He Ascended Into Heaven.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Fratre gratias!
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 10:02:40 AM EDT
[#7]
RCT30: Part I: THE CREED - ARTICLE VI : "HE ASCENDED INTO HEAVEN, SITTETH AT THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD THE FATHER ALMIGHTY"
  Results Of The Ascension, Virtues Promoted By The Ascension, The Ascension Benefits The Church And The Individual

Additional thoughts: Where the head has gone in glory, the body is called to follow in hope.

RCT 30: The Results of the Ascension.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#8]
RCT31: Part I: THE CREED - ARTICLE VII : "FROM THENCE HE SHALL COME TO JUDGE THE LIVING AND THE DEAD"
    Meaning Of This Article, "From Thence He Shall Come", "To Judge the Living and the Dead", Two Judgments, Reasons For General Judgment, This Truth has Rightly been made an Article of the Creed

Additional thoughts: The problem with judging others.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
The Roman Catechism (Page 2 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top