Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2024 9:13:28 AM EDT
Pros:

Makes Mexico a more even partner in NAFTA
Eventually leads to more jobs in the US
Mexico more willing and able to stop/discourage/absorb the flow of migrants from Central and South America (also, migrants might find a job along the way/wealth would eventually spread south into Guatemala, Honduras...)
Gives the US more political leverage in Mexico
May lead to eventual wage growth in the US (less cheap migrant labor available)
Divestment from China (literally a sworn enemy of the US and they aren't planning to do it with bombs, just economic & political dominance, industrial espionage, tech/AI dominance-including supply chain dominance, etc)
We get to lean on Canada a bit (they don't seem to be the partner they once were)

Cons:

Taxpayers subsidizing foreign investment of US based companies (maybe, seems a bit naive)
Boosting Mexico could backfire (overt governmental intervention in global/economic affairs...what could possibly go wrong?)
?????
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:17:17 AM EDT
[#1]
No.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:22:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Mexican quality is shit. but so is Chinese. we see less issues with Chinese but they are communists.  Screw both.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:23:00 AM EDT
[#3]
We don't like the slave labor in China so let's move it to Mexico.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:23:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Can we get rid of the asshole entitled Mexican president first?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:28:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Appalachian1998] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By packinheavy:
Can we get rid of the asshole entitled Mexican president first?
View Quote

Yes of course (I thought that was implied in this though exercise)
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:35:01 AM EDT
[#6]
You would have to build the wall first to stop the flow of illegals coming here to make 10x more money cleaning hotels vs building fords in Mexico.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:37:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Go away Mike Lee
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:47:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dcat] [#8]
Originally Posted By Vlad_the_III:
Mexican quality is shit. but so is Chinese. we see less issues with Chinese but they are communists.  Screw both.
View Quote

You must work in a different industry.  The forgings, raw castings, and machined parts that I have worked with are much better quality from Mexico than China.  The Mexican engineers and production people are also easier to deal with.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:48:39 AM EDT
[#9]
A lot of it has already moved from china to places lake Vietnam and other parts of southeast asia because they are cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:29:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I know we hate Zeihan, but he says that moving production to Mexico is the preferred option.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:32:26 AM EDT
[#11]
The US government created that problem and now you want them to pay to fix it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Fuck that, and fuck mexico.

We should’ve conquered and annexed that shithole back in the 1800’s.

Move all US manufacturing back to the USA!
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:44:52 AM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

What industry are you in?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:51:18 AM EDT
[#14]
The United States should just make outsourcing illegal and the punishment should be mandatory bronze bulling.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#15]
That's some real communist thinking OP.

How about Taxing them on imports, closing our borders and ports, and getting rid of NAFTA?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:57:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By McGuy:
I know we hate Zeihan, but he says that moving production to Mexico is the preferred option.
View Quote

Probably the only issue I'd agree with him. Moving production to MX will solve some of the biggest issues, illegal immigration, probably help stabilize it,  not funding a big enemy, and easier importation of goods.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:59:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Fuck Mexico.  We need to push their shit in for allowing the invasion of America.

Companies back to the USA.

PS.  Fuck Mexico.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:01:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By walkinginadangerzone:
Probably the only issue I'd agree with him. Moving production to MX will solve some of the biggest issues, illegal immigration, probably help stabilize it,  not funding a big enemy, and easier importation of goods.
View Quote

You solve illegal immigration by encouraging Mexico to stop the invasion via their country.  Start shutting down flights to Cancun and cruises to Mexico.  Highly tax money transfers to Mexico.

Reduce normal traffic at the border.

Start deporting the 50-70 million illegals in the USA.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Depends on the product, but Mexican industrial definitely seems in my experience to be lesser quality than equivalent landed cost Chinese industrial product, I'm guessing due to education, cultural differences and the pretty wild spectrum of government control between the two.

And while I don't know about the US directly paying US companies to do so, I do agree with the premise that investing in Mexico and SA is a far, far better proposition for the US as a nation than investing in China or even India, for a number of reasons.  

1- They're not our enemy
2- If they became our enemy, easier, cheaper, to project military power a stones throw away than across the Pacific
3- Gain additional leverage to use against cartel activity
4- Reduce the current value proposition for migrating to America (won't stop it, obviously, but would certainly reduce it when combined with #3)
5- Reduce China's influence on our direct neighbors
6- Reduced shipping cost and timelines, increased alternative contingencies

Probably more.  Personally having dealt with many different nationalities and cultures in business, I have significantly more in common with average Mexican people than practically any other (excepting maybe Canadians.)
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
Fuck Mexico.  We need to push their shit in for allowing the invasion of America.

Companies back to the USA.

PS.  Fuck Mexico.
View Quote

I'd love for this to happen, but it's not ever going to, at least not in a way that isn't precluded but something we'd all consider to be catastrophic.  The only way feasible to do it in a palatable manner would be to implement tariffs on all imports and slowly increase them year over year allowing wages, capital investment, interest rates, etc to shift along with the increased prices caused by the tariffs.

That's a 20-30 year project, and I don't think the majority of Americans have the willingness to endure short term pains caused by it in order to achieve the long term gains.

And that doesn't even begin to address the cultural issue we have, 2 full generations now who either see anything but an Instagram lifestyle career as beneath them, or are simply content to exist with as little effort as possible.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:20:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Or we could call them a failed state, roll in, annex, destroy the cartels, carve into States/territories, have us some good old manifest destiny.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:23:07 AM EDT
[#22]
AMLO can bribe companies to move to his country if he wants. No good reason for USA or CAN to subsidize it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:48:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Instead of Nixon spending time and money developing China, we should have been developing this hemisphere.

Everything would be different today.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Kuraki:

I'd love for this to happen, but it's not ever going to, at least not in a way that isn't precluded but something we'd all consider to be catastrophic.  The only way feasible to do it in a palatable manner would be to implement tariffs on all imports and slowly increase them year over year allowing wages, capital investment, interest rates, etc to shift along with the increased prices caused by the tariffs.

That's a 20-30 year project, and I don't think the majority of Americans have the willingness to endure short term pains caused by it in order to achieve the long term gains.

And that doesn't even begin to address the cultural issue we have, 2 full generations now who either see anything but an Instagram lifestyle career as beneath them, or are simply content to exist with as little effort as possible.
View Quote

Not to mention most American workers aren’t willing to work for the inevitable low wages, they would have to have a comparable cost of living to a peasant in rural Mexico. Until robots become the norm and have a lower cost of entry, only then will you see simple manufacturing return.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:21:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Heck no. Bring them home and create more jobs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#27]
That's going to be a NO from me.  OP stated the reason.
Cons:
Taxpayers subsidizing foreign investment of US based companies
View Quote
Instead, more effort should be put into making the USA more business-friendly, like reducing taxes and all the paperwork hoops you have to jump through.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:38:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chisum] [#28]
Originally Posted By ATLDiver:

Not to mention most American workers aren’t willing to work for the inevitable low wages, they would have to have a comparable cost of living to a peasant in rural Mexico. Until robots become the norm and have a lower cost of entry, only then will you see simple manufacturing return.
View Quote

Some do not most. That is the propaganda. What most want is a job they can gain more skills with and better pay. Paying a college graduate minimum wage to flip burgers is not going to cut it. For some, they were never taught how to look for a job. Yes, some are lazy. Some have a high School diploma but were so poorly taught they are functionally illiterate. Many can't get a job because they don't speak English but we let them in anyway.

When I was in Saudi Arabia, I was talking to a Saudi NCO who was hosting an English Party. They wanted to learn English but it seemed that was reserved for the upper class. The solution was English parties where someone who knew English would come and teach the group. They were very popular.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:18:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Let's lower corporate taxes by at least half on these companies so it's affordable for them to come back. Hell, let's end corporate taxes on the companies, and instead put a 5% sales tax on their profits, and companies from all over the world will come over here and open plants and factories. Just 5% on total sales yearly. You'll see job creation like you've never seen. And while we're at it, cut welfare out for everyone without a serious physical or mental disability. Push everyone out to fend for themselves except truly sick people. Half of the folks on those programs are lazy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Removed most favored trade status from China.  The rest will solve itself.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:40:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By CavVet:

Instead of Nixon spending time and money developing China, we should have been developing this hemisphere.

Everything would be different today.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#32]
How much will that cost tax payers with interest forever?

Leverage with Mexico? BS!

First, we just need to stop the aid we give them them.
Second, tariff the shit out of every product that Mexico makes that comes across the border so Americans will not longer purchase them.
Third, tax every dollar that gets remitted to Mexico.
Fourth, tell the president of Mexico if he issues another visa for another illegal to traverse his nation to come here we will declare them a failed narco state and start strategically bombing them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:12:04 PM EDT
[#33]
I agree OP. It helps us and screws China in one move.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Why don't the cartels finance it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top