Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2024 12:44:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CFII]
I know at my place of work we are slowing classes. AA has no summer classes. I believe United is slowing as well. Iero went out of business, Spirit is threatening furloughs and downgrades, and now the kicker of it all: Frontier is enacting a training contract with a 2 year payback clause.

Is there alarm to be had? No. But the salad days ended fall of 2023, and now its going to be competitive again.

The worst part of the past 4 years is that so many regionals survived. That is a true shame, as they are a pox upon humanity.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:13:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BillofRights] [#1]
What is Iero?
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:18:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BillofRights:
What is Iero?
View Quote

Charter airline flying 737s. Have had a lot of my buddies go thru there on their way up the ladder.

Swift/Iaero
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:44:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess I missed the boat.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:01:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By esa17:
I guess I missed the boat.
View Quote

You can’t think that way.   The last passenger saved off the Titanic, was still happy to be warm and dry.  

Never, never give up.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#5]
What does this mean for those of us who sit in the back?

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:04:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reekus] [#6]
Originally Posted By WoodHeat:

View Quote

You'll still be there and god help us it'll be harder for you to get into the skyclub now
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:10:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By WoodHeat:

View Quote

Oh nothing of note. Basically the hiring is just normalizing, and as a whole, the pilots at the legacies will bring a bit more experience than they already did.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:58:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CFII] [#9]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Missed Boeing 737 deliveries were cited by UAL and Spirit as the reason for layoffs/furloughs.
View Quote

For United, it is a reason they are slowing.

Spirit only flies the A320 variants, and the engine issues with the Pratt GTF motor has a lot of their jets parked.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I wish they’d double the price of the tickets.  Too damn many people flying as it is.  Some of these people be acting a fool like this is a greyhound or something.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I’m pretty sure the Blue team is still hiring, although only for attrition. I think at this point, I’m getting comfortable with the idea of staying where I’m at for a while.

Definitely feels like any real movement is slowing to a crawl.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:59:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Legacy hiring is still at epic levels for any year prior to 2015.  Don't give up hope!  Everything is cyclical.  Position yourself to be ready when Boeing and Airbus deliveries get back on track.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:00:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By CFII:
SNIP-
Frontier is enacting a training contract with a 2 year payback clause.

The worst part of the past 4 years is that so many regionals survived. That is a true shame, as they are a pox upon humanity.
View Quote

AAL, UAL, DAL - "Do you want a window, aisle, or middle seat?"

Frontier/Spirit - "Do you want window, aisle, or ringside?"
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:11:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Well my position has been eliminated so I'm scrambling to find a job so I am hopeful the pendulum doesn't swing too far too fast.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:33:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LDiablo9] [#15]
United is on the FAA watchlist and cant grow any new routes or equipment for the foreseeable future.

Spirit and Frontier are getting manhandled by the Legacy airlines because their low cost no frills business models have such a thin profit margin.

Southwest had slowed because the max has been a disaster. AA and UA are taking delivery delays on the max as well.

Are we on the backside of the salad days curve, for sure BUT

AA has the most retirements next year (~950ish) other airlines have high retirements over the next few years as well. This is still one of the best times to be a 121 pilot in history! The movement is insane! Direct entry captains at a major are unheard of yet they're happening and at my place of employment the most junior Capt has been on property just over two years!

Get your apps out there!
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:34:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Pickle:
Well my position has been eliminated so I'm scrambling to find a job so I am hopeful the pendulum doesn't swing too far too fast.
View Quote

That’s unfortunate. I just got lucky a couple years ago and got a job at team Hat. I count my blessings.  My friends at Iaero got hosed.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:43:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By mardoc:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mardoc:
SNIP-
Frontier is enacting a training contract with a 2 year payback clause.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:51:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ringsting] [#18]
As an industry outsider - why are regionals a pox on humanity.  (Serious question!)  
According to everyone's favorite 80's documentary TV show Wings, small regional airlines are the saving grace of the industry!
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:14:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Ringsting:
As an industry outsider - why are regionals a pox on humanity.  (Serious question!)  
According to everyone's favorite 80's documentary TV show Wings, small regional airlines are the saving grace of the industry!
View Quote

Pay, work rules, shit schedules, offensive Managment out to get you, little support from dispatchers, etc.

Pay is better now since they had zero choice. Once they don’t have to be nice, it will be back down.

Here is a good older documentary.
Flying Cheap (full documentary) | FRONTLINE
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:52:24 PM EDT
[#20]
@CFII

I love that documentary, one of the few pieces on aviation that the media got pretty close to 100% accurate. Roger Cohen is such a scumbag!
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 1:40:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Atlas is still hiring because we can't keep people.

Apply at your own risk.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 1:55:04 AM EDT
[#22]

You can’t think that way.   The last passenger saved off the Titanic, was still happy to be warm and dry.  

Never, never give up.
View Quote

I appreciate that.

However, I was being a bit facetious.  I stopped applying to WN years ago because I was afraid to get hired.

I absolutely love being a 135/91 management pilot.

That said, I’d happily buy you a beer for being a good dude.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 8:40:29 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

The regional model as it exists now -- where they are subcontracted to fly aircraft that have a size/capacity/range which prior to the 1980s would have been flown by the mainline/legacy airline, and are flown on transcontinental and international routes in North America -- are a result of Delta pilots in the late 80s sticking their nose up at flying those smaller jets because it was "beneath them".

In the wake of that decision (and the ripple-effects at other airline pilot unions after the DALPA decision) is an enormous subcontracting industry that has been created and brought with it a huge number of "second-class citizen" pilot/FA/maintenance jobs in terms of lower wages, crappier work rules, and terrible schedules...and all for doing essentially the same work for the same passengers as the major airlines.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 8:41:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By TimeOnTarget:

Apply at your own risk.
View Quote

You guys are going to make out like bandits in the FedEx acquisition, though.  :)
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:16:01 AM EDT
[#25]

Pay, work rules, shit schedules, offensive Managment out to get you, little support from dispatchers, etc.

Pay is better now since they had zero choice. Once they don't have to be nice, it will be back down.

Here is a good older documentary. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xms1akNhhg
View All Quotes

Pay is better now since they had zero choice. Once they don't have to be nice, it will be back down.

Here is a good older documentary. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xms1akNhhg
Miles O'Brien and Roger Cohen are "holier than thou" turds floating in a punch of overconfidence.
Just an opinion of course.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By MudEagle:

You guys are going to make out like bandits in the FedEx acquisition, though.  :)
View Quote

Those guys are screwed now that JD is there. You never know what might happen, but I think a merger with us would be a trainwreck!
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:50:51 AM EDT
[#27]

The regional model as it exists now -- where they are subcontracted to fly aircraft that have a size/capacity/range which prior to the 1980s would have been flown by the mainline/legacy airline, and are flown on transcontinental and international routes in North America -- are a result of Delta pilots in the late 80s sticking their nose up at flying those smaller jets because it was "beneath them".

In the wake of that decision (and the ripple-effects at other airline pilot unions after the DALPA decision) is an enormous subcontracting industry that has been created and brought with it a huge number of "second-class citizen" pilot/FA/maintenance jobs in terms of lower wages, crappier work rules, and terrible schedules...and all for doing essentially the same work for the same passengers as the major airlines.
View Quote

100% I find subtle irony that I despise the regionals yet fly for Delta now, but hey, that decision was way before my time. LOL
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:47:28 AM EDT
[#28]
100% I find subtle irony that I despise the regionals yet fly for Delta now, but hey, that decision was way before my time. LOL
View Quote

What's kind of sad is that the current seniority lists at all the legacies are jam-packed with pilots who had to suffer through the regionals...and yet scope clauses still get ever-so-slightly loosened regularly for pieces of silver and other shiny bits in contract negotiations.

Sadly, we are our own worst enemies.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:47:53 AM EDT
[#29]

Apply at your own risk.
View Quote

Friend is an FO on 767.  He seems happy.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:50:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
View Quote

How old is he?

Where did he work previously?

Atlas is not a bad job, but it's not a good job. Things are getting better, but we are grossly underpaid for what we do, and we have been scarred by 20 plus years of hostile management. Sadly, FEDEX will now suffer greatly under JD's slash and burn carpet baggery.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:23:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lucky_dog] [#31]

View All Quotes

Apply at your own risk.

Seems happy, or is happy?  Is he a 20somthingyear old and this is his adult first job?  You couldn’t pay me enough to go to Atlas, but some guys like it.  Heck there’s even people out there who claim they like flying for NetJets.  Misery loves company.  I’d go to ZW before one of them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:52:57 PM EDT
[#32]

How old is he?

Atlas is not a bad job, but it's not a good job. Things are getting better, but we are grossly underpaid for what we do, and we have been scarred by 20 plus years of hostile management. Sadly, FEDEX will now suffer greatly under JD's slash and burn carpet baggery.
View All Quotes

How old is he?

Many thousands of us (and our families) whose jobs were cut March 21 already are suffering from DRIVE.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#33]

I appreciate that.

However, I was being a bit facetious.  I stopped applying to WN years ago because I was afraid to get hired.

View All Quotes

Never, never give up.

I appreciate that.

.  Pilots always stick together.   We’re a true band of Brothers.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:40:32 PM EDT
[#34]

Those guys are screwed now that JD is there. You never know what might happen, but I think a merger with us would be a trainwreck!
View Quote

Funny thing is the Raj said that FedEx Orange is going to be competing for the same stuff as Atlas.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:05:33 AM EDT
[#35]

What's kind of sad is that the current seniority lists at all the legacies are jam-packed with pilots who had to suffer through the regionals...and yet scope clauses still get ever-so-slightly loosened regularly for pieces of silver and other shiny bits in contract negotiations.

Sadly, we are our own worst enemies.
View Quote

I think both DAL and UAL's recent contracts actually tightened scope wrt to RJ's.  I think we're currently seeing the fewest RJ's we've had in decades.  

Break break

I still think it's a decent time to get into the game.  Most of the slowing of hiring is due to aircraft/engine manufacturers and bringing instructors to the line for summer flying.  I still think we're on track to hire 500-1000 pilots at DAL.  1,000 pilots is still A LOT of pilots.  I remember guys laughing at the company saying we'd never be able to train 1000+ pilots/year.  Now, we slow to 1,000 and people act like the world is crumbling around us (not saying that is you CFII).  Then again, this industry is hire till you furlough lol.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Find a way to prevent assholes, jerks, the entitled, loudmouths, seat kickers, morbidly obese, and morons to fly.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:47:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By HotHolster:
Find a way to prevent assholes, jerks, the entitled, loudmouths, seat kickers, morbidly obese, and morons to fly.
View Quote

UPS & FEDEX did.

Everyone else depends on them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top