User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By badredfish:
To me there are three levels of camping...

Car camping - take anything and everything....

Backpacking - can not take anything

then my style...

Kayak camping - take anything in reason - LOL

hell I take chairs and a table

Awesome post OP.

Red
View Quote

I used to love float trips.

I still putt around on some flat water, on occasion but it isnt fun like it was.

Losing my good friend and his son to drowning in 2011 (iirc, I'm not good with dates). Changed me and i cant shake it, even after trying to "get back on the horse" so to speak.

I have a hard time admitting that, especially to myself.

It just isnt fun when thoughts of the incident start nagging me when I'm on the water.

Sucks.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:09:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By DADGAD:
Most of our scouts won't do more than truck camping. I have a day trip planned to get them prepared for something bigger. Hopefully that will get them to sign on for a full backpacking trip, but I am not holding my breath.
View Quote

Doing philmont this year in June with my 14 year old. We have been prepping and shit for a year now.

I sit at 28# loaded with water. I sweat too much that i have to bring 4ltrs of fluids with me and still refill often. Fucking humidity.

His bag is 23#.

The transformation you see from start to finish in backpacking is interesting. Some people drop out. Others learn and adjust quickly
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By spuddicus:

Doing philmont this year in June with my 14 year old. We have been prepping and shit for a year now.

I sit at 28# loaded with water. I sweat too much that i have to bring 4ltrs of fluids with me and still refill often. Fucking humidity.

His bag is 23#.

The transformation you see from start to finish in backpacking is interesting. Some people drop out. Others learn and adjust quickly
View Quote

Age and attitude is a big factor. Mental prep is extremely important.

Family boys did a Philmont Autumnbtrek this past October. We anticipate potential blizzard conditions so it's not light packing. My three boys, 24, 18, and 17. Plus my 30 year old son-in-law. I was 51. Except the teenagers the rest of us give every visible impression of not being ready. I actually gave myself a 50:50 chance of dying on the trail due to a surprise heart issue.

Of all of us an outside observer would pick me at 220 pounds or my son-in-law at 265 pounds(right at the allowable limit) to be the ones that would derail the trip.

Nope, it was my cocky oldest son at 24 who has been to Philmont 5+ times. He's never been to Philmont at his age. And never been there at his current weight, 215 pounds. It never crossed his mind while doing our prep hikes that his body changes from being a mostly fit teen would affect him so much at altitude.

When the other three did a morning hike up the Stockade trail to the Tooth of Time, he and I stayed behind so we wouldn't slow them down.

Son-in-law took this Pic. My cocky 18 year old on the left insisted on packing the helmets.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:28:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File

Back in the old days when my heart problems weren’t so problematic. I spent a lot of nights in WV and VA backpacking and testing MLD equipment.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:40:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Giltweasel:

Family boys did a Philmont Autumnbtrek this past October. We anticipate potential blizzard conditions so it's not light packing. My three boys, 24, 18, and 17. Plus my 30 year old son-in-law. I was 51. Except the teenagers the rest of us give every visible impression of not being ready. I actually gave myself a 50:50 chance of dying on the trail due to a surprise heart issue.

Of all of us an outside observer would pick me at 220 pounds or my son-in-law at 265 pounds(right at the allowable limit) to be the ones that would derail the trip.

Nope, it was my cocky oldest son at 24 who has been to Philmont 5+ times. He's never been to Philmont at his age. And never been there at his current weight, 215 pounds. It never crossed his mind while doing our prep hikes that his body changes from being a mostly fit teen would affect him so much at altitude.

When the other three did a morning hike up the Stockade trail to the Tooth of Time, he and I stayed behind so we wouldn't slow them down.
That trail is familiar. It was kind of treacherous with full rucks and being tired from 10 days on the trail
Son-in-law took this Pic. My cocky 18 year old on the left insisted on packing the helmets.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26360/received_351864953901993_jpeg-3200237.JPG

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:00:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:

That's three miles PER DAY buddy. Carrying 30 whole pounds on shoulders and backs built for video gaming. Up and down hills. Over creeks. Out-of-doors.

I dont think you grasp the magnitude of this endeavor.
View Quote

So they spend maybe two hours actually walking. What is on the agenda for the rest of the day
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:45:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By tc556guy:

So they spend maybe two hours actually walking. What is on the agenda for the rest of the day
View Quote

Recovery.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:01:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 56xdx_Z] [#8]
Hope it was a good outing OP

Originally Posted By badredfish:
To me there are three levels of camping...

Car camping - take anything and everything....

Backpacking - can not take anything

then my style...

Kayak camping - take anything in reason - LOL

hell I take chairs and a table

Awesome post OP.

Red
View Quote

Cool! I also have 3 camping levels/checklists. In my case it's: car camping, light (25lbs) backpack, all weather/more calories backpack  (45lbs currently). One time I took my wife camping, but forgot the tent. I said we could just sleep under a poncho and she was fine with it. Woke up at sunrise and she was up starting a fire, which was unusual. Found out she had stayed up all night watching for bugs or the boogie man. I felt terrible and made a car camping packlist after that trip

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:23:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m200maker] [#9]
Any kid over the age of 12 should be able to pack 30-40 lbs of gear and cover 10-20 miles depending on terrain per day. A lightweight sleeping bag and a fleece will keep him warm. The rest is water or water filter, food small tent and a good hatchet.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:35:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jkees] [#10]
I cant wait to hear the stories.

He did it once before and it turned into a day (half day) hike.

These are two fellow scouts and their brother. They've gotten a little doughy in the several years since scouting. Jake (my son) is in pretty good shape.

He knew enough to do a pack check this time. One boy had a stainless knife fork and spoon and chop sticks set, an E tool, one of those canvas and flannel 12 pound sleeping bags, last time.

This time they did better but still no pack under 30 pounds, he said.
Cans of food. Multiple cookware items. Changes of clothes. EMT sized FAK. Multiple knives. A hatchet. A "D" cell flash light.

I blame this on the Scout Master whose pack was never under 50#. Dude took the motto a little too literally.

I told him to take a pic of the pile of shit they left at the house.

He planned for 3 miles each day. A brutal pace for a couch potato hauling 30 pounds.

Its Red River Gorge area if anybody cares. Beautiful place to BP. Off trail camping. Great views. Some aggressive trails and some decent rock climbing. Wish I didnt have jobs due. They invited me.

View Quote

Good on him, I'm getting to an age a few years out of scouts where a bunch of my friends are now jealous of what I got to do in the organization and now want me to help them start on learning to backpack.

I just did a 4-1/2 mph pace under nods on Saturday morning because I was bored, can't wait to go less than half of that when I start going with them
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:41:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jkees] [#11]
Originally Posted By Giltweasel:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26360/received_351864953901993_jpeg-3200237.JPG

View Quote

I wish I thought of bringing something like that to Philmont, we just had our own little plush animals as mascots on our bags.
Its amazing what morale something like that gives you when you are on the trail for 10+ days.

We also had a night in campsite "Santa Claus" so one girl in our venture crew sneaked a santa hat and fake beard the whole trek just to bust it out there on day 7 or so.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:01:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By JustinU235:

Recovery.

View Quote

From walking for an hour?
This country is so screwed.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:33:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: green_bullet] [#13]
I am a couple hours from RRG and would like doing that. I am a couch potatoe who needs to get out more.

I cant wait to hear the stories.

He did it once before and it turned into a day (half day) hike.

These are two fellow scouts and their brother. They've gotten a little doughy in the several years since scouting. Jake (my son) is in pretty good shape.

He knew enough to do a pack check this time. One boy had a stainless knife fork and spoon and chop sticks set, an E tool, one of those canvas and flannel 12 pound sleeping bags, last time.

This time they did better but still no pack under 30 pounds, he said.
Cans of food. Multiple cookware items. Changes of clothes. EMT sized FAK. Multiple knives. A hatchet. A "D" cell flash light.

I blame this on the Scout Master whose pack was never under 50#. Dude took the motto a little too literally.

I told him to take a pic of the pile of shit they left at the house.

He planned for 3 miles each day. A brutal pace for a couch potato hauling 30 pounds.

Its Red River Gorge area if anybody cares. Beautiful place to BP. Off trail camping. Great views. Some aggressive trails and some decent rock climbing. Wish I didnt have jobs due. They invited me.

View Quote

Sounds like he needed to send out a packing list and gear suggestions well ahead of time to nip some of that in the bud
Since they aren't buying ultralight gear I would expect them to have thirty pound packs.
They really consider a three mile hike to be a hardship?
View Quote

That's three miles PER DAY buddy. Carrying 30 whole pounds on shoulders and backs built for video gaming. Up and down hills. Over creeks. Out-of-doors.

I dont think you grasp the magnitude of this endeavor.
View Quote

No joke. I trained for an elk hunt by walking 5-6mi hikes through trail in woods with a 50lb pack. I had fun. My ankles still hurt thinking about it
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:44:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By m200maker:
Any kid over the age of 12 should be able to pack 30-40 lbs of gear and cover 10-20 miles depending on terrain per day. A lightweight sleeping bag and a fleece will keep him warm. The rest is water or water filter, food small tent and a good hatchet.
View Quote

That is extremely ambitious, IME.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:48:50 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

He got back last night. Said they ended up doing about 6 miles each day for 2 days. They hiked a short ways in Friday night and camped.

Six miles carrying packs for that crew is decent. They had a good time and did some basic bouldering. (No ropes)
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:50:38 AM EDT
[#16]

He got back last night. Said they ended up doing about 6 miles each day for 2 days. They hiked a short ways in Friday night and camped.

Six miles carrying packs for that crew is decent. They had a good time and did some basic bouldering. (No ropes)
View Quote

Those kids need to get out more. Glad to hear that it went well for them
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top