Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 5/2/2024 5:32:04 PM EDT
The children who remember their past lives

The phenomenon, with its aura of the paranormal, has long been fodder for books, academic studies, newspaper stories and dramatized documentaries. All of these explorations tend to orbit the same existential questions: Is reincarnation real? What happens after we die? How can this be explained? But there is, of course, no scientific means to conclusively prove — or disprove — a mechanism that might explain how a person could recall living a past life.

Which leaves parents such as Marie and Ross to navigate an inexplicable, often isolating experience. Something is happening, that much they know, and so they find themselves facing different but equally daunting questions: What happens — what does it mean, what do you do — when, one day, your child tells you they remember being someone else?
View Quote

Certain consistent patterns have emerged: The most pronounced and convincing cases, Stevenson and Tucker both found, tend to occur in children between the ages of 2 and 6. They might suddenly describe places they have never been, people they have never met, sometimes using words or phrases that seem beyond their vocabulary. Nightmares or sleep disturbances are occasionally reported. Many of these children are highly verbal and start speaking earlier than their peers. Their descriptions of past-life recollections often fade away entirely by the time the child turns 7 or 8.
View Quote

These similarities span accounts recorded around the world. Among the cases in the DOPS database, about 15 percent are North American; of those, an overwhelming majority are from Indigenous communities. “There’s no question that the cases are easier to find in cultures where there’s a belief in reincarnation,” Tucker says.

The true prevalence of this phenomenon is difficult to know, Tucker says — particularly given that many families might not recognize it, or might actively suppress it — but DOPS is contacted by about 120 families per year, most of whom are American. If a child’s recollections are detailed enough to potentially identify a particular individual, DOPS opens an investigation, and the case is entered into the database.

But even if a child can offer that level of specificity, sometimes parents don’t want to know more. “That can be the frustrating part, where you get what starts like a really interesting case, but then the parents don’t stick with you,” Tucker says.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting for sure. I've read the James Leininger story before from an earlier thread on this subject.

There is so much we don't understand.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:42:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Its bullshit lol.  I know a chick that has 2 kids like that. She puts that shit in their heads.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:44:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By P400:
Interesting for sure. I've read the James Leininger story before from an earlier thread on this subject.

There is so much we don't understand.
View Quote
It would be hard to dig into this story and still not believe.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Touchy subject, some will be into it. Others will be like...

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:48:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By WildBoar:
Its bullshit lol.  I know a chick that has 2 kids like that. She puts that shit in their heads.
View Quote

You know one "chick", and you are now the indisputable subject matter expert.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been told that when I was really young I told my family a somewhat detailed story that I died protecting my mother and sister. I have no recollection of this. At the time it seemed really believable to them and we are all of a very skeptical mindset. I was in my 20's when they shared that story. Seems unbelievable to me, but I was young enough to not know enough to construct a story like that not have a reason to.

It's weird to me. Not sure what to think of it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#7]
lol

They’re always the past King of England or Napoleon or George Washington. They’re never just some dude who picks up trash, or was in logistics or other boring occupation.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#9]
When I was 5, I'd wake up screaming from a nightmare...I dreamt for weeks I was strafed by an airplane an died. Freaked my mom out...but I also had one where a red T Rex ran me down an ate me...so it was all probably nothing.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:00:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Soon after my younger brother began to talk in complete sentences he would occasionally tell us stories about when he was a man. It was weird.

When he started first grade he would escape from the classroom and walk several miles home. How he figured out the route was puzzling.

He is now batshit crazy. Nobody in the family communicates with him.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:01:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Notcalifornialegal] [#11]
Kids make up shit all the time.

The only people who fall for it are Facebook Alpha-Level Karen's with kids that have a disorder for every letter of the alphabet and only eat chicken nuggets.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#12]
People are dumb and gullible. This is coached/learned behavior.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:06:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: networkguru] [#13]
read the book "many lives, many masters".

Believe it or not, it was interesting.

There is a story in it about a woman whose young son was found putting oil and linen on their dog that had died.
Walk like an egyptian...
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Watched something about this a few years back. Big surprise the kid remembered being an early Hollywood actor.  “Give me my money back”
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:10:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ARDunstan:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ARDunstan:

I mean, it’s not like this is a very expert subject in the first place. Being knowledgeable in this is like being a Professor of unicorn folklore.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:15:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By doty_soty:

I mean, it’s not like this is a very expert subject in the first place. Being knowledgeable in this is like being a Professor of unicorn folklore.
View Quote

We are a small but elite group.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:20:03 PM EDT
[#18]
A few years back my youngest, who displays a lot of mannerisms similar to her great grandmother, my wife's grandmother, said out of the blue to my wife "I remember holding you as a baby...  you were so cure!"

My wife and I were

There have been other incidents but the afore mentioned was the starkest.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

So, everyone else is a liar as well?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:34:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Weird and creepy.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:35:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By zukguy:

View Quote

Yep. Or nuts.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By jerrwhy01:
lol

They’re always the past King of England or Napoleon or George Washington. They’re never just some dude who picks up trash or was in logistics or other boring occupation.
View Quote

That's not true at all, I've read a bunch of these stories and many of them come from traumatic events that supposedly happened in another life, but they're not even close to all kings.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:40:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:

Yep. Or nuts.
View Quote

I give up, there can't be an honest discussion about this here because so many people think that means someone is saying God doesn't exist.

Why can't they work together somehow? Man will never understand what happens after death, but it's a very interesting topic if you're open minded, which I am.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#24]

I give up, there can't be an honest discussion about this here because so many people think that means someone is saying God doesn't exist.

Why can't they work together somehow? Man will never understand what happens after death, but it's a very interesting topic if you're open minded, which I am.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:

Yep. Or nuts.

No one said that or even alluded to it. You’re making shit up and seeing what you want to see.

Like people who think their kids remember past lives.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

God in the Christian sense doesn't do reincarnation. If there's an entity behind it.  It ain't him.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#26]
OP here's an interesting video by Mr. Ballen on this topic, this takes place in India:

Even Skeptics Can't Explain This Shocking Ending

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:57:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:59:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By jerrwhy01:
lol

They’re always the past King of England or Napoleon or George Washington. They’re never just some dude who picks up trash, or was in logistics or other boring occupation.
View Quote

Is it too much to rtfa and comment on it?  

Otherwise, why comment at all?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:59:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Proof of Reincarnation | Dorothy Eady: Ancient Egyptian Priestess Reborn
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:02:47 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

That explanation accounts for all the facts, is well supported by every bit of research into history, psychology, neuroscience, medicine, simple common sense and the everyday experience of the parents of small children who aren't idiots or hucksters themselves..
Furthermore the idea of reincarnation isn't supported at all in any of the Abrahamic religions.
The alternative is to invest belief in a literally unprovable statement by small children being put forward by their parents and written about by peddlers of pseudoscience whose motto is "There's a sucker born every minute."
We've been down that road recently with the Kafkaesque criminal trials of people accused of child abuse discovered by uncovering "Repressed memories."
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:09:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Skopsko07734:
OP here's an interesting video by Mr. Ballen on this topic, this takes place in India:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJlkwZ1Gr6w
View Quote

Thanks -- I came here to post this story.  I have heard other interesting accounts as well.  I am also a Christian.  People that think they have everything figured out to me are usually small minded and limited in their thinking.  Just because Billy Bob Pastor with a masters of divinity degree says something ins't necessarily persuasive to me.

The bottom line is that I am open to such things but who the hell knows.  I will trust in Jesus and leave it at that.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:09:52 PM EDT
[#33]
There is a series about this on Amazon , I think. Could be Netflix. It’s about kids that remember a past life. Kind of eerie.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:13:03 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm not a believer in reincarnation. However, our son when he was very young would describe people and places in great detail that he had never been to (that we later verified were actual people and places). Some of the vocabulary he used was not normal for a two year old and would not be something he'd pick up from anywhere. My wife and I just chalked it up to the possibility that perhaps he was "receptive" to ghosts/spirits/etc rather than having a past life.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#35]
This quote that pops up up in 'creepy things kids have said' articles has stuck with me:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:17:06 PM EDT
[#36]
When she was very young, my sister used to talk about when she was our mom's mom (our grandma).  My sister was born the day after our grandma's funeral.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:39:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Wish I could remember more, there was a case of a child that had memories of being a pilot in the pacific during WW2 and shot down KIA. Taken to a reunion, he recognized members of his old squadron. It was pretty well documented, they were able to figure out who he had been in the previous life. Like I said, I wish I remembered more about this case. Maybe somebody will remember it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
Touchy subject, some will be into it. Others will be like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz9yuMDoerI
View Quote

Those that would cry "heresy" already believe in ghosts and life after death....

so...
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:52:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Haven't there been instances of young kids speaking fluent foreign languages that no one can explain how they know them?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#40]
My niece (SIL kid) she might have been 3 at the time told us during a car ride that she went to the dead house where she saw her great grandma. No one had ever told her that she had her umbilical cord wrapped around her neck during child birth and came out blue. The doctor were able to save her but still, that took us all by surprise.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:52:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Kid with perfect memory of World War Two thinks he has been reincarnated
A young boy gave his parents (and everyone reading this) a serious case of the heebie-jeebies

https://www.ladbible.com/news/james-leininger-surviving-death-netflix-354944-20221215

https://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/story?id=132381&page=1

The book is amazing.  The kid walked into a fighter pilot's reunion and knew everyone by name.

https://www.amazon.com/Soul-Survivor-Reincarnation-World-Fighter/dp/0446509345

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:53:47 PM EDT
[#42]
When my daughter was first speaking in complete sentences, she started telling us long and elaborate stories about escaping some great calamity with with her granddaughter because her daughter had been killed.

Like others have said, using words we don't use and complex sentence and story structures that didn't make any sense coming out of a 3 year old's mouth. It was always in this wistful sense like she was recalling deep memories with a thousand yard stare.

It creeped us out pretty good.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:58:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By LibertyShip:
Kid with perfect memory of World War Two thinks he has been reincarnated
A young boy gave his parents (and everyone reading this) a serious case of the heebie-jeebies

The book is amazing.  The kid walked into a fighter pilot's reunion and knew everyone by name.

https://www.amazon.com/Soul-Survivor-Reincarnation-World-Fighter/dp/0446509345

View Quote

Freaked me out when I read it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:02:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grumple] [#44]
I have fraternal twin boys.

The younger one had me on edge from 2-4. Night terrors, would would tell us stuff beyond his capability. Names of people and other stuff. No way for me to know for sure what was happening. Unrelated of course,  but he would also focus on the staircase and his head and eyes would follow something coming down the stairs and he would smile and wave. it was fucking freaky. He would stand in his room at 2-3am and have full blown conversations with someone or something.

He's 15 now with no recollection.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:04:56 PM EDT
[#45]
I can't remember any of my past lives...
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:05:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#46]
I don't believe it and truly believe that it's just my brain implanting imaginings I had as a child or just something I saw in a movie or tv show. But I have three memories, that are not from eras in which I ever lived. They also weren't eons ago. It was nothing crazy either. Just random moments and I wasn't anyone special. Like I said I don't believe it's any more than my brain just being a brain, it's kinda weird though that my brain took images and made it my own memory.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:05:38 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

Only Catholics get stigmata...weird...

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:23:04 PM EDT
[#48]
There is a ton of evidence for children remembering past lives.  A really interesting one was a child who remembered working on the build of the Titanic.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:34:48 PM EDT
[#49]
There’s enough compelling (and nearly incontrovertible) evidence that this is a real thing that people who decry it (especially loudly (cough*cough*notcalifornialegal*cough*cough)) are clearly ignorant of the existing data or are just exhibiting extreme “cope” due to the challenge it presents to their worldview.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:42:45 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

I don't think that. I just think it's dumb.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top