Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:11:36 PM EDT
[#1]
GD is so fragile.

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:22:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GarandM1:
In the 1970s most Americans supported gun control, so this song was considered to be "cool" by most Boomer youth.  Young people don't realize what a sea change in US public opinion there has been on this issue over the past 50 years.
View Quote

If I’m interpreting your post correctly and you’re saying people have been more pro gun since the 1970’s explain how gun laws have only got more restrictive since the late 80’s.?

As far as the song goes, it makes sense Ronnie Van Zant wouldn’t like handguns.  The guy was a hot head that liked to get in fights.  Most bullies are terrified of somebody weaker than them turning the tables.

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:24:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Wespe:

If I’m interpreting your post correctly and you’re saying people have been more pro gun since the 1970’s explain how gun laws have only got more restrictive since the late 80’s.?

As far as the song goes, it makes sense Ronnie Van Zant wouldn’t like handguns.  The guy was a hot head that liked to get in fights.  Most bullies are terrified of somebody weaker than them turning the tables.

View Quote

Some things have gotten significantly better.

(It's a gif, not a picture)
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:44:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Wespe:

View Quote

1.Government run K-12
2.Hostile media
3.Mass immigration importing people who break 8-2 dem
4.Conservatives who surrender at all costs

Celebs are like kids, they should be seen, but not given any real credibility or power as they are Dumbasses..
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:49:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:54:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 999monkeys:
If listening to that song makes one anti-gun, does listening to a song about murder make one a murderer?
View Quote

I didn't see where anyone said anything even close to that. Could you point that out, please?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:06:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Freebird was good.  The rest of it licks the bag, aside from telling Neil Young off.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:25:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By eurotrash:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxIWDmmqZzY
View Quote

I was at that concert
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:29:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Dagoth-Ur:

Turns out that planes were a bigger threat, uh guys?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dagoth-Ur:
Originally Posted By SteveOak:
Hand guns are made for killin'
They ain't no good for nothin' else
And if you like to drink your whiskey
You might even shoot yourself

So why don't we dump 'em, people
To the bottom of the sea
Before some old fool come around here
Wanna shoot either you or me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bv-wPYRMDI

Turns out that planes were a bigger threat, uh guys?

Nice
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:30:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By CastleBravo91:

Was this before or after he "stared down a .44" after hitting on some dude's girl?
View All Quotes

To the bottom of the sea

Was this before or after he "stared down a .44" after hitting on some dude's girl?

Likely after.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:50:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ronin76] [#11]
Originally Posted By CenterMass762:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5a/Right_to_Carry%2C_timeline.gif/310px-Right_to_Carry%2C_timeline.gif
View Quote

Interesting how NY, MA, CA, and HI have been "may issue" all along - even before places like Texas, Kentucky, Virginia, Arizona, etc. had any path to CCW for the average Joe. Telling that they had provisions for their "betters" to be able to carry a gun if they so desired to.

The 1970's was just after the GCA so it was difficult to argue that more laws were needed just yet. At the time buying via the mail had just been banned so people felt like progress had happened. AR's and similar military-style firearms were rare enough that many people (especially non-gun people) were not even aware that they were available. Back then I heard many times from people I knew that possession of an M-1 carbine and a 30 round magazine was considered "constructive possession" of an unregistered machine gun. (Obviously conflated with the above PLUS an M-2 conversion parts kit)

There was a lot of talk about banning handguns but everybody knew that wasn't going to get any traction soon. Many, if not most, people had a dad, uncle, or grandfather who had fought in WWI/WWII/Korea and they knew that many of those veterans would not be quiet about being disarmed.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:20:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:

Totally. If GD had their way, anyone who listens to rap music would be locked up.

That song pisses me off (moreso the older I get), but I still listen to Skynyrd. They were an integral part of my childhood and the few good memories I have of my Dad, plus most of their music is great for drinking on a boat or long road trips with the boys...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:
If listening to that song makes one anti-gun, does listening to a song about murder make one a murderer?

Totally. If GD had their way, anyone who listens to rap music would be locked up.

That song pisses me off (moreso the older I get), but I still listen to Skynyrd. They were an integral part of my childhood and the few good memories I have of my Dad, plus most of their music is great for drinking on a boat or long road trips with the boys...

It’s pretty simple, really. As an example I stopped listening to Garth Brooks after he came out as an FBHO cocksuccker.

He showed himself as an A+ grifter & hypocrite, while making a song like American Honkytonk & then supporting that jug-eared fuck.

Same goes for the likes of Allen Jackson, Tim McGraw, and any other slack-jawed democrat agenda supporting fuck.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:25:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:29:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Aimless] [#14]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:40:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:55:54 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

But he didn't even kiss her.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:58:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Makarov] [#17]
Honestly, a lot of conservative gun owners got duped into being onboard with the whole “Saturday night special threat” of the 1970s. Primarily for two reason;

1) Politicians and the media exploiting White fear of armed Blacks. Handgun bans were framed as a means of keeping angry young Black men from getting guns. It was a common theme in TV and movies of the time.

2) The proven strategy of divide and conquer. Fearing greater bans, many hunters and target shooters were willing to throw handguns (particularly cheap handguns or funny looking European handguns that they weren’t interested in owning) onto the sacrificial altar if it would appease the gun banners and protect their blued-steel with wooden stock rifles. Sadly, we saw the same willingness by many to sacrifice “evil black rifles” in the 90s. I remember a serious article in “Shotgun Sports” magazine in 1994 that opined that the EBR crowed were a threat to the “rights” of recreational shooters. I cancelled my subscription immediately.

The Leftist media was really pushing the handgun control agenda, at the time. If they had succeeded, it would have been handguns first, then rifles and shotguns until maybe all they would allow “civilians” to own would be slingshots, BB guns and bows & arrows. It’s how you cook frogs.

I grew-up listening to Lynyrd Skynyrd. They made some GREAT music. That doesn’t mean I worship them as saints or saviors. Artists should be enjoyed for their creations, not their opinions. Dumbass behavior and bonehead decisions are kind of the norm from them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:00:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Bob243:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzzZREKjQZk
View Quote

That’s not about bullets for a gun Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:03:06 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote
I miss Charlton Heston.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:24:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Ronin76:

Interesting how NY, MA, CA, and HI have been "may issue" all along - even before places like Texas, Kentucky, Virginia, Arizona, etc. had any path to CCW for the average Joe.
View Quote
False premise. NY, MA, CA, and HI did not have a  path to CCW for the average Joe.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:38:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By CenterMass762:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5a/Right_to_Carry%2C_timeline.gif/310px-Right_to_Carry%2C_timeline.gif
View Quote

In the 70s, I kept a shotgun and .22 LR in my car at school and college (NGC).  The people that drove pickups had them in gun racks inside the rear window.  In the 80's my son took my BP Colt Navy revolver to high school for a class on the Civil War.  Those things would have us in jail and the school/college on a lockdown, now.

Another student at college had a full auto Thompson Machine gun that he would shoot at the college picnic area where our gun club had a skeet shooting range (Pine Valley)
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:04:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Arty8] [#22]
All my pants are light brown.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:43:29 PM EDT
[#23]

False premise. NY, MA, CA, and HI did not have a path to CCW for the average Joe.
View Quote

Reading comprehension fail.

What I wrote was that those lefty-liberal states had "May Issue" long before the list of Red, "gun friendly" states had any path for the average Joe to get a CCW, not that the lefty-liberal states had any such path for the average Joe. I also pointed out that those "May Issue" states only issued carry permits to their "Betters".
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:48:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Robertpistol] [#24]
Let's all be defenseless as the thugs who don't obey laws anyway are the only ones who will have weapons...sounds like a plan per the Woke-tards!

No second amendment really helped Russia out with that recent massacre of more than 130 people....

Anyways. I wouldn't be surprised if Lynryd Skynrd's band members all own guns themselves but think they are special and should have them, just like so many woke-tards live in gated communities with a big wall around them but say it's wrong to have a wall at the southern border. Being a hypocrite seems to go hand in hand with being a woke-tard.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:52:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:

Yep, and that song was about one type of gun: POS cheap pot metal Saturday Night Specials.  Plenty of hypocrites here bitch about this song while condemning: .45acp, 9mm, shotguns, revolvers, etc.
View Quote

Yep, Lorsen, Rohm,etc...
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:53:09 PM EDT
[#26]

Interesting how NY, MA, CA, and HI have been "may issue" all along - even before places like Texas, Kentucky, Virginia, Arizona, etc. had any path to CCW for the average Joe. Telling that they had provisions for their "betters" to be able to carry a gun if they so desired to.

The 1970's was just after the GCA so it was difficult to argue that more laws were needed just yet. At the time buying via the mail had just been banned so people felt like progress had happened. AR's and similar military-style firearms were rare enough that many people (especially non-gun people) were not even aware that they were available. Back then I heard many times from people I knew that possession of an M-1 carbine and a 30 round magazine was considered "constructive possession" of an unregistered machine gun. (Obviously conflated with the above PLUS an M-2 conversion parts kit)

There was a lot of talk about banning handguns but everybody knew that wasn't going to get any traction soon. Many, if not most, people had a dad, uncle, or grandfather who had fought in WWI/WWII/Korea and they knew that many of those veterans would not be quiet about being disarmed.
View Quote

Such a safe and domesticated living environment if the 1890s-1929 produced a very weak and reality detected population.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:57:37 PM EDT
[#27]

Wow, my view of him is lower than the altitude his plane had.

And yeah, I am going be making plane jokes the entire thread and NO I’m not sorry, Free Bird and Sweet Home Alabama are the only thing I wanna hear out of them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:58:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By mgwantob:

If it makes you feel better, “Freebird” Allen Collins loved guns. He had an NFA Mac-10 he’d shoot in his backyard here in Jax. I’ve shot it too, and his other favorite gun was a Sako rifle in 308. They weren’t anti-gun woke as some think. I knew several of them.

Now their wives on the other hand… lol
View Quote

Westside the Bestside. Wesconett boy here. go Rebels!
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Makarov:
Honestly, a lot of conservative gun owners got duped into being onboard with the whole “Saturday night special threat” of the 1970s. Primarily for two reason;

1) Politicians and the media exploiting White fear of armed Blacks. Handgun bans were framed as a means of keeping angry young Black men from getting guns. It was a common theme in TV and movies of the time.

2) The proven strategy of divide and conquer. Fearing greater bans, many hunters and target shooters were willing to throw handguns (particularly cheap handguns or funny looking European handguns that they weren’t interested in owning) onto the sacrificial altar if it would appease the gun banners and protect their blued-steel with wooden stock rifles. Sadly, we saw the same willingness by many to sacrifice “evil black rifles” in the 90s. I remember a serious article in “Shotgun Sports” magazine in 1994 that opined that the EBR crowed were a threat to the “rights” of recreational shooters. I cancelled my subscription immediately.

The Leftist media was really pushing the handgun control agenda, at the time. If they had succeeded, it would have been handguns first, then rifles and shotguns until maybe all they would allow “civilians” to own would be slingshots, BB guns and bows & arrows. It’s how you cook frogs.

I grew-up listening to Lynyrd Skynyrd. They made some GREAT music. That doesn’t mean I worship them as saints or saviors. Artists should be enjoyed for their creations, not their opinions. Dumbass behavior and bonehead decisions are kind of the norm from them.
View Quote

The Fudds are a dying breed, we all know they won’t stop at X or Y, they want everything.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:41:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: divkat9] [#30]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:45:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By divkat9:

"But handguns scare me because I know there’s only one thing they’re gonna be used for."

“Every time I sing Saturday Night Special,” Johnny adds, “I feel the power in those words that Ronnie wrote. There are too many guns in America. My brother knew what he was talking about.”
View Quote

Some of their stuff is ok. Much of it is over rated.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:48:03 PM EDT
[#32]
"Original"

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:09:41 AM EDT
[#33]
I’m glad I didn’t live in the 1970’s, it sounds terrible
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:17:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Barrelburner:
I thought it would be that song before I clicked
View Quote

#MeToo
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:28:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By ReservedRealist2:
I'm glad I didn't live in the 1970's, it sounds terrible
View Quote
The problem is that you had to put up with stuff like Sweet Home Alabama when it was new, then well past being sick of it when it was old.  Then past that, and so on.  Shitgibbons are still playing it non-stop like it's brand new or something.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:45:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Knew what the song was going to be before I clicked.

I still like some of their music, but yeah, fuck them. Typical elitist southern democrats.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:10:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jodan1776] [#37]
Yep, that's the song I thought of when I saw the thread title.
Nice sounding song, but I always hated the lyrics and resented the band for doing it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:07:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By mgwantob:
This song was written for the Burt Reynolds movie The Longest Yard on a contract through MCA. The lyrics had to be about something crime related and that’s what he came up with. They were not anti gun, I can assure you of that.
View Quote

So that true 2A believers and defenders sold out and made an anti gun song makes it better?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:28:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By pale_pony:
as much as i hate to admit it...LS was a good, high school drinking band. Something to listen to while trying to get into some doe-eyed girls' Bobbi Brookes smoking dime-bag dope and drinking Little Kings cream ale or Boone's Farm, but if they hadn't got half the band deaded they never would have been music legends

What's this about the drummer being a child molester?

ETA: Steve Gaines could play the pants off the rest of them out together
View Quote

In 1993, Pyle was charged with attempted capital sexual battery and lewd assault on two girls. He denied the charges, claiming the girls had been abused by people connected to babysitters in a Jacksonville mobile home park who held a grudge against him. Moreover, he claimed the allegations were an attempt to extort money from the Lynyrd Skynyrd organization. Weeks before the trial was due to start in January 1994, Pyle pleaded no contest rather than risk a mandatory sentence of life imprisonment if found guilty in a jury trial. He was sentenced to probation and required to register as a sex offender.[25] In 2007, Pyle was charged with failure to register as a sex offender in St. Johns County, Florida. He rejected a plea bargain offer and was acquitted by a jury in 2009.[26]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artimus_Pyle
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#40]

What I wrote was that those lefty-liberal states had "May Issue" long before the list of Red, "gun friendly" states had any path for the average Joe to get a CCW, not that the lefty-liberal states had any such path for the average Joe. I also pointed out that those "May Issue" states only issued carry permits to their "Betters".
View All Quotes

False premise. NY, MA, CA, and HI did not have a path to CCW for the average Joe.

No, I read it correctly, you attempted to claim the lefty-liberal states actually had something other than a codification of backdoor bullshit for their like minded friends to have permits.

Nice try though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:01:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By jwb211:

They are in town tonight. I’ll shoot them the bird for you when I pass by shortly.
View All Quotes

To the bottom of the sea

They are in town tonight. I’ll shoot them the bird for you when I pass by shortly.

Somebody's in town.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

For a Chapman sort of chap.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:04:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By treelow:
GD is so fragile.

View Quote

I'm still mourning Dinebag.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:07:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Skynyrd is one of the worst bands ever. I will never understand the love for them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:34:01 PM EDT
[#45]

No, I read it correctly, you attempted to claim the lefty-liberal states actually had something other than a codification of backdoor bullshit for their like minded friends to have permits.

Nice try though.
View Quote

For many years most upstate NYers who plowed through the process got their handgun permits. Minimal elitism.
When I got my lifetime possession license in 1982 it also included concealed carry everywhere but NYC.
That was better than the carry rules in a lot of red states that had easy possession laws.
Upstate only took a turn for the worse very recently in the Bruen revenge moves.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:08:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By KingNine:

In 1993, Pyle was charged with attempted capital sexual battery and lewd assault on two girls. He denied the charges, claiming the girls had been abused by people connected to babysitters in a Jacksonville mobile home park who held a grudge against him. Moreover, he claimed the allegations were an attempt to extort money from the Lynyrd Skynyrd organization. Weeks before the trial was due to start in January 1994, Pyle pleaded no contest rather than risk a mandatory sentence of life imprisonment if found guilty in a jury trial. He was sentenced to probation and required to register as a sex offender.[25] In 2007, Pyle was charged with failure to register as a sex offender in St. Johns County, Florida. He rejected a plea bargain offer and was acquitted by a jury in 2009.[26]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artimus_Pyle
View Quote

Wow, that is very under the radar…Just like the plane was before it crashed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:21:23 AM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

That would be somewhat difficult for them to do, as they're all dead.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:30:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:

Yep, and that song was about one type of gun: POS cheap pot metal Saturday Night Specials.  Plenty of hypocrites here bitch about this song while condemning: .45acp, 9mm, shotguns, revolvers, etc.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:40:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By twistedcomrade:
Thank God Metallica, Slayer, Pantera, and such came along. You don't have to listen to crap Lynarnd Skynard when real music exists.
View Quote
.hell yeahAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:42:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Barrelburner:
I thought it would be that song before I clicked
View Quote

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top