Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/27/2024 11:56:30 AM EDT
tools are like $390...I bet Ryobi could make one for under $200, but would prolly undercut the Milkwaukee sales
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:57:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Rent one?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:59:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 1975:
Rent one?
View Quote

I don't rent tools....I buy them. Then every time I need the tool again I pay myself rent.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:01:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By midcap:

I don't rent tools....I buy them. Then every time I need the tool again I pay myself rent.
View Quote

You must be getting rich, man! I like money!
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:03:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sitdwnandhngon] [#4]
People are using them for butt stuff too...drives the prices up.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Funny thread timing, I need to buy one.

They will basically pay for themselves after a Single use considering what it would cost for a plumbing service call
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:13:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Those tools are for the PEX-A , right? Where there’s no clips or restricting connectors right?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Dual purpose.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:39:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Ecarl4100:
Those tools are for the PEX-A , right? Where there’s no clips or restricting connectors right?
View Quote

Yes. You aren't putting the crimps on with these. Expansion only.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:40:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JaredC1] [#9]
I BELIEVE it’s because Milwaukee bought the patent from uphonor.

When they did the hand tool version doubled in price and almost forced our hands to buy the cordless version.

Which was brilliant because Milwaukee knew contractors don’t want to run two battery systems so most guys switched over to Milwaukee.

Milwaukee has completely dominated the pro industry for last 5-8 years this way. At least in the service trades. I bet I have an easy 5 grand in batteries alone at this point.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:51:13 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

I've read this beautiful sentence over and over, it resonates with me in a way that makes me feel like I'm finally not alone.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:54:23 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

lol

I bet you bought the boat, the airplane, and you're married too
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:56:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: contract] [#12]
DO NOT BUY THE Milkwaukee one.

I have owned 4x and they have ALL failed at the motor/head connection.

Warranty is useless/a hassle to wait/drop off/get approval/etc. Just not worth it. Most tools break after the warranty anyways. Everyone knows warranties are a scam to begin with.

I use the old school hand one now. OR Go dewalt.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By contract:
...I use the old school hand one now. OR Go dewalt.
View Quote

you've done it now
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote
Now that's thinking outside the box.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:18:35 PM EDT
[#15]
tools are like $390...I bet Ryobi could make one for under $200, but would prolly undercut the Milkwaukee sales
View Quote

But then you’d have to use heavy, awkward, hi-vis green harry Homeowner shit, and not be a member of the Chad level, ergonomically superior red tool master race.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By LexConcord:

But then you’d have to use heavy, awkward, hi-vis green harry Homeowner shit, and not be a member of the Chad level, ergonomically superior red tool master race.

View Quote

You mean Hilti, right? You must mean Hilti.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#17]
The hand expanders work fine for small jobs especially if it is all 1/2"

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:25:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Echd:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I still use my Hilti’s on bigger stuff, like drilling a 6” core in a foundation.  Whatever the M’s can’t efficiently do, Hilti can.   I don’t use my Hilti’s as much as I used to though.  Still good to know I have them when I need them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:47:34 PM EDT
[#19]
PEX expander is the kind of tool that the pro's use, and only a few homeowners. Ryobi is after the homeowner market, so don't ever expect them to make one.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:08:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

https://i.makeagif.com/media/7-21-2021/_a8sfE.gif
View Quote

You need help.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:36:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By richzrx:

You need help.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By richzrx:

You need help.

I said, what what, in the butt
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:49:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fatboy148] [#22]
View Quote

After using the hand model for years (before the powered version was out), it sure put a smile on my face the first time I pulled on that switch. Be warned, the only time I had issues was when I did a job in NC and sand got into the grease of the expander. It took a bit to get that cleaned out before I could put fresh grease on it.

Looks like Dewalt has entered the game too but the price isn't any/much better/different. Might be better if you are in that system though....

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Dewalt-DCE400B-20V-Max-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-PEX-Expansion-Tool-Kit-w-1-2-3-4-and-1-Heads

ETA...

To answer your original question, why doesn't Ryobi make it too? Well, Milwaukee and Ryobi are literally owned by the same company dealing with two different types of clients.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:51:05 AM EDT
[#23]
M12 FTW
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Anything is pex expander if you're brave enough.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:01:59 AM EDT
[#26]
I have one I could let go of for a fair price. I only used to to plumb my current house.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:03:21 AM EDT
[#27]
It's called paying the tool tax. I do it all the time. If I don't have the tool for the job it's almost always cheaper to just buy the tool than pay a professional with the tool to come do the job for you.

So buy the tool. Now you have it forever and the next time you need it you're good to go.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#28]
The Dewalt ones are out of stock at the big stores, and also $350ish.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:31:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Fatboy148:

After using the hand model for years (before the powered version was out), it sure put a smile on my face the first time I pulled on that switch. Be warned, the only time I had issues was when I did a job in NC and sand got into the grease of the expander. It took a bit to get that cleaned out before I could put fresh grease on it.

Looks like Dewalt has entered the game too but the price isn't any/much better/different. Might be better if you are in that system though....

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Dewalt-DCE400B-20V-Max-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-PEX-Expansion-Tool-Kit-w-1-2-3-4-and-1-Heads

ETA...

To answer your original question, why doesn't Ryobi make it too? Well, Milwaukee and Ryobi are literally owned by the same company dealing with two different types of clients.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Fatboy148:

ETA...

I would probably get the DeWalt model because I already has the batteries. I own nothing Milwaukee
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:31:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By baz67:
I have one I could let go of for a fair price. I only used to to plumb my current house.
View Quote

Which one and how much would you part ways with it for?

@baz67
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:32:39 AM EDT
[#31]
I bought one to run 1/2” ID lines to my hose-bibs, then to assemble my automatic irrigation system for my raised beds. It is pretty amazing.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:32:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By adrock1:
It's called paying the tool tax. I do it all the time. If I don't have the tool for the job it's almost always cheaper to just buy the tool than pay a professional with the tool to come do the job for you.

So buy the tool. Now you have it forever and the next time you need it you're good to go.
View Quote

Yeah I am in need of it to plumb my garage with air and water.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:34:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Ryobi needs to get in the game.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:44:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: p3590] [#34]
This seems like a great opportunity for Harbor Freight to make one, based on their Earthquake XT impact, they can actually spec out decent chicom cordless tools if they want to.

ETA: You can get adaptors to go from any of the 18-20V Lithium tool brands to each other, so I'd just run Milwaukee batteries on it, like I do with the Dewalt and Ryobi tools I have.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:47:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By p3590:
This seems like a great opportunity for Harbor Freight to make one, based on their Earthquake XT impact, they can actually spec out decent chicom cordless tools if they want to.

ETA: You can get adaptors to go from any of the 18-20V Lithium tool brands to each other, so I'd just run Milwaukee batteries on it, like I do with the Dewalt and Ryobi tools I have.

View Quote

I honestly don't understand HF's fucking cordless tool marketing strategy. Who ever came up with it is retarded and I am being kind.

It makes zero sense when you compare it to it's competitors.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:48:08 AM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

Next thing you know he will start dissing Toyota.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:57:39 AM EDT
[#37]

Which one and how much would you part ways with it for?

@baz67
View Quote

Check your PMs

@midcap
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:59:45 AM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

I will never buy hilti products ever again- their jackhammers have forced service intervals at 250hrs where they completely shut down until you sent them out to hilti to be inspected, repaired, and reset the timer at your cost

Dewalt master race for cordless, Bosch for corded
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:21:17 AM EDT
[#40]

I honestly don't understand HF's fucking cordless tool marketing strategy. Who ever came up with it is retarded and I am being kind.

View All Quotes

I agree.  If I was running it, among other things, I'd make it straight up take DeWalt or Milwaukee batteries (there's no patent issue with the battery slots), and have the adaptors right next to it to use other batteries.  

As far as I can tell, they have a mix of decent (the impact) and utter shit tools, taking a vast variety of different proprietary batteries.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:25:04 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By contract:
DO NOT BUY THE Milkwaukee one.

I have owned 4x and they have ALL failed at the motor/head connection.

Warranty is useless/a hassle to wait/drop off/get approval/etc. Just not worth it. Most tools break after the warranty anyways. Everyone knows warranties are a scam to begin with.

I use the old school hand one now. OR Go dewalt.
View Quote

The virax one is fine for half and three quarter, even one inch isn't bad but once you step up to bigger pex you're not doing it by hand.

I have yet to have either the m12 or m18 tool break, I have had a head get a bur that caused leaks and that was it. Though I do 100% commercial so I don't  do huge volumes of copper, the biggest problem I've had with m12s is guys stealing the batteries for their jackets.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:28:14 AM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:35:17 AM EDT
[#44]
I agree.  If I was running it, among other things, I'd make it straight up take DeWalt or Milwaukee batteries (there's no patent issue with the battery slots), and have the adaptors right next to it to use other batteries.  

As far as I can tell, they have a mix of decent (the impact) and utter shit tools, taking a vast variety of different proprietary batteries.
View All Quotes

exactly its a fucking cluster fuck...I really would like to know who the people behind that idea were, because they really never ever should be in charge of anything ever again.

HF business model has always been, decent tools at good prices.

They did not follow that with their coordless stuff.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

I needed an AC clutch tool, autozone had one for rent, told her to go ahead and order a replacement one because I wasn't planning on returning it.

She said okay, It still has a lifetime warranty
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By JaredC1:

When they did the hand tool version doubled in price and almost forced our hands to buy the cordless version.

Which was brilliant because Milwaukee knew contractors don’t want to run two battery systems so most guys switched over to Milwaukee.

Milwaukee has completely dominated the pro industry for last 5-8 years this way. At least in the service trades. I bet I have an easy 5 grand in batteries alone at this point.
View Quote

I bought the DeWalt tool with no battery and bought an adapter for Ridgid batteries, which I have a ton of.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By irons04:

I bought the DeWalt tool with no battery and bought an adapter for Ridgid batteries, which I have a ton of.
View All Quotes

I really need to get an adapter to run all my Ryobi batteries on my Dewalts
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes
I BELIEVE it's because Milwaukee bought the patent from uphonor.

Which was brilliant because Milwaukee knew contractors don't want to run two battery systems so most guys switched over to Milwaukee.

That's the ugliest direction to adapt since the Ryobi battery has the tall post part, but it exists.

Amazon Product
  • \ud83d\udc8e\u3010Use for Dewalt 20V Tools\u3011:This RYB20DW battery adapter converts for RYOBI 18V Lithium battery to DCB200 20V lithium battery, perfect replacement for DEWALT 20V lithium battery,which means you can use your a lot of for RYOBI 18V batteries to for for Dewalt 20V Cordless Tools,save your money on new DCB200 serie 20V battery.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#49]
I have the Milwaukee and it’s a great tool. Run a lot of waterlines for the greenhouse, barn, field hydrants over the years with it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:50:39 PM EDT
[#50]
That's the ugliest direction to adapt since the Ryobi battery has the tall post part, but it exists.

www.amazon.com/dp/B0CG38PFLN

View All Quotes
I BELIEVE it's because Milwaukee bought the patent from uphonor.

Which was brilliant because Milwaukee knew contractors don't want to run two battery systems so most guys switched over to Milwaukee.

www.amazon.com/dp/B0CG38PFLN

OH HELL YEAH!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top