Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 34
Posted: 1/3/2023 2:46:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy]
*This thread has veered far and wide from a single ADV bike so now it’s just a bit about all of it.*

I knew it was coming but just really looked at the info today and it looks pretty good in its resurrected form.

460 pounds fueled
90 hp
21”/18” wheels
33.5” seat height with what appears to be a narrow frame.
Not a ridiculous amount of bodywork.
65 claimed mpg

But…the muffler is too low. Even with my minimal off road riding there have been a few instances it would have been underwater. As well the tank is a bit small with a predicted range of 180 miles. Not ridiculous, but my standard is 200 miles. It still has bodywork that is going to have to be protected and is going to bring in some additional weight. The suspension is a bit minimal being around 7.5” but honestly most ADV riders don’t need that much suspension anyway.

But for an ADV bike, not a dual sport, it looks pretty good.

Attachment Attached File

It is of course a direct contender for the Tenere 700.

Ultimately I am not sure it fills a better role for most people than the CB500x if the CB had wire wheels and people were honest with themselves. It certainly fills a hole in Honda’s lineup though in a world where “mid-size” bikes like the AT are as big as a BMW GS.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 2:49:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been looking at that. Nice to see some more middleweight ADV bikes.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks great.  Someone will make a high exhaust and fender kit.  
460lbs is great.  

This is 590lbs as she sits.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 2:56:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bhart89:
Looks great.  Someone will make a high exhaust and fender kit.  
460lbs is great.  

This is 590lbs as she sits.  
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23561/7F078359-DA39-438E-8C9D-945AE12CC1A6_jpe-2659265.JPG
View Quote

Yea...mid-size got fat.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 2:59:15 PM EDT
[#4]
It's certainly not a bad bike on paper, I would also prefer longer range. I still think the KTM 890 is still the better option (for me) if I had to replace my f800 today. That being said, my F800 was benched most of last year in favor of the CRF450 and nothing any of these newer bikes would change that significantly so I can't really say I'd put my money where my opinion is anyways.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 2:59:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:Ultimately I am not sure it fills a better role for most people than the CB500x if the CB had wire wheels and people were honest with themselves.
View Quote

If the ARFCOM curse strikes me it will be as a result of me coming home with a CB500X.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 3:14:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9divdoc] [#6]
pipes should be higher and should have a nicer skid plate

New 2023 Yamaha Tenere 700 & Rally Edition Updates Announced!
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 3:17:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RTOinIraq] [#7]
I like it. I'm guessing the price hasn't been released yet? I couldn't find anything besides a few sites says around $10-11k
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 3:18:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Seems fat for how small it appears. My SMCR is 325lbs and can double as an ADV bike.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 3:18:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Tranny Slap is a good name for a bike.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 3:18:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By RTOinIraq:
I like it. I'm guessing the price hasn't been released yet? I could find anything besides a few sites says around $10-11k
View Quote

That's where most of the midsized ADV bikes end up at, maybe a few extra thousand once you option it up.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 3:26:22 PM EDT
[#11]
When I would sweep for dual sport rides, it was always the ADV riders that needed the help. 100% of the time. Those bike are fucking to heavy and shitty tires and suspension. They need to stick to graded gravel roads and pavement. And it would help if the riders would loose about 40 lbs and be in better shape.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 3:29:53 PM EDT
[#12]
way too heavy
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I really like the profile of this bike, and you can tell Honda was really trying hard to hit certain numbers.

They're stepping into some pretty steep competition with the Tuareg and Tenere, so we'll see how that goes.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#14]
That looks like it could be a practical bike for a lot of riders, especially with hard bags attached.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I’m liking this bike.  Waiting for a honest review of this bike before I consider getting rid of my GS850
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 3:49:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By BubbasBarNGrill:
Seems fat for how small it appears. My SMCR is 325lbs and can double as an ADV bike.
View Quote

For 325 lbs you get a CRF300L Rally in the Honda lineup.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 3:49:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#17]
Originally Posted By BubbasBarNGrill:
View Quote

Originally Posted By Shadyman:
When I would sweep for dual sport rides, it was always the ADV riders that needed the help. 100% of the time. Those bike are fucking to heavy and shitty tires and suspension. They need to stick to graded gravel roads and pavement. And it would help if the riders would loose about 40 lbs and be in better shape.
View Quote

Originally Posted By heat762:
way too heavy
View Quote

A KTM 690 can certainly be an ADV bike. But it is a bit light for highway, has no subframe, and needs auxillary fuel tanks.

But again I emphasize that a dual sport is different than an ADV bike by most modern definitions. If you leave for Panama today you will find yourself in mud, ruts, almost trails, and parking lots that look like the moon. But, and this is a big but, you will find yourself on some sort of road 99% of the time. Pavement proabaly 60-70% of the time. You will need a bit more agressive tires, but you also need to be able to handle stretches of highway. Now of course we can push any bike one direction or the other through mods or even sheer will, but these bikes cater to the guys who imagine or actually do take those long extended trips into challenging places. Though I have seen first hand excellent riders do things on GSAs that I would find challenging on a mountain bike, but I am no pro.

That is not to say we need 10" of travel. Hell look at the early BMWs berfore the GSs that were traveling the globe, or the Triumphs. Thats why I said the CB500X is likely all the bike anyone would ever need in the ADV realm. Especially if it had the rally raid upgrades, though just the wheels would do it.

In truth the CB500x should be putting the nail in the KLRs coffin but the KLR just has staying power in the community lore.

Link Posted: 1/3/2023 3:56:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: migradog] [#18]
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 3:57:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Always wanted one of the OG TAs.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#20]
That exhaust placement sucks. Honda should know better.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Subcanis:
Always wanted one of the OG TAs.
View Quote

This isnt an old Transalp but rather an Old Africa Twin 750. Regardless it is a really good short movie.

I fix an old motor bike and ride to the Arctic Circle 'The Warhorse' Honda XRV750 Africa Twin
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 4:10:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd tell my son to keep his CB500X a few more years and then just get the 1100 Africa Twin.

I like the F850GS myself.  I did a 500-mile day on one and it was practically perfect.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 4:10:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BikerNut] [#23]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 4:12:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks nice.

I just had to sell my super tenere because my carpal tunnel and cervical spine issues were making my arms and hands go numb.  You can't ride if you can't work your fingers
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 4:23:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By FuriousYachtsman:
View Quote

You sir win the internet.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 4:32:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Shadyman:
View Quote
Yep.

Did a long dual sport ride this weekend and it was a T700 that was having problems the entire day. He finally gave up and split off to go home when we got near some pavement.

It seemed that tires were his biggest problem.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 4:35:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bratworst] [#27]
I think it will be too close in price and performance to the Africa Twin for both  to be sold at the same dealer, it would have made more sense to update their thumper like Kawasaki did.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 4:38:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Bratworst:
I think it will be too close in price and performance to the Africa Twin for both  to be sold at the same dealer, it would have made more sense to update their thumper like Kawasaki did.
View Quote

Disagree. The updated KLR 650 is just as porky as this thing is and carries no advantage for gaining all that weight. Killing off the XR650 by KLR-izing it would be a continued disservice to big thumpers.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Bratworst:
View Quote

In truth I think it is going to hurt the Africa Twin. The absolute lightest AT weighs 45 pounds more and only has 10 more HP. Of course it does have more bells and whistles to an extent.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 4:45:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:

In truth I think it is going to hurt the Africa Twin. The absolute lightest AT weighs 45 pounds more and only has 10 more HP. Of course it does have more bells and whistles to an extent.
View Quote

They might start to drop the base Africa Twin and continue to focus their efforts on pushing the Adventure Sports model as a slightly discount but still fully featured 1250 GS alternative.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Ayada:

They might start to drop the base Africa Twin and continue to focus their efforts on pushing the Adventure Sports model as a slightly discount but still fully featured 1250 GS alternative.
View Quote

That would make sense. So I expect them not to do it.

I am glad to see Honda making a move though. They were getting a bit stale and left behind in the segment. No worse than Kawasaki though, they arent even trying.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 4:51:15 PM EDT
[#32]
way too heavy
View Quote

Weight isn’t really relevant to most of the people in the market for one of these. The average “adventure rider” is going to add a bazillion extra pounds to it anyway.

Crash bars. Skid plates. Extra lights. Top box. Hard panniers. Tank bags. Bigger hand guards. Fatter foot pegs. Taller screens. GPS mount. Tool tube. Etc, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 4:52:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By FuriousYachtsman:
View Quote

first thought
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 4:55:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Yeah that looks cool and all.... but I haven't seen Ewan McGregor on it...

Link Posted: 1/3/2023 4:56:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Is the transalp slated to be imported in the US?
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By fttam:

Weight isn’t really relevant to most of the people in the market for one of these. The average “adventure rider” is going to add a bazillion extra pounds to it anyway.

Crash bars. Skid plates. Extra lights. Top box. Hard panniers. Tank bags. Bigger hand guards. Fatter foot pegs. Taller screens. GPS mount. Tool tube. Etc, etc, etc.
View Quote

This is all true. Let me be very clear and totally honest. We're just Larping down to the Starbucks.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
way too heavy

Exactly my point. Just go ahead and get a big GS. Why have less power and still suck off road.
Ktm500ecx is about the perfect bike if you will touch dirt.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 5:09:37 PM EDT
[#38]
A competitor for the Tenere 700. Looks like they tried to keep it as cheap as possible for the $11k Tenere.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 5:11:11 PM EDT
[#39]
What about the xr650l? Why do we sleep on the old man of baja?
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 5:16:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#40]
Originally Posted By 1literduceater:

This is all true. Let me be very clear and totally honest. We're just Larping down to the Starbucks.
View Quote

Not everyone is by any means. But if someone just wants to own a bike that inspires them to daydream of adventure I am 100% fine with that.

Exactly my point. Just go ahead and get a big GS. Why have less power and still suck off road.
View Quote

Not if you are riding a week of ten hour days and touching dirt during that time. This isn't a dual sport.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Exactly, 500cc enduro or get a big bike. These fat under powered short range mid size bikes are kinda pointless. A lot of people get convinced they want a mid size because of the power but the big bikes can be throttled back by settings. Throw a GSA in Rain mode and tell me how scary the 1250. OTOH, a GSA with all the nannies cut off is a beast.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 5:19:04 PM EDT
[#42]
The ADV segment is so saturated now. All we really need is the Vstrom and Ktm 500.... But damn I look cool on this GSA.

And what about the future of the segment? We have heated everything, 87 ride modes, active suspension, blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control, etc. Where does it go from here? Does it die like the middle weight sport bike segment?
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 5:21:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#43]
Originally Posted By 1literduceater:
The ADV segment is so saturated now. All we really need is the Vstrom and Ktm 500.... But damn I look cool on this GSA.

And what about the future of the segment? We have heated everything, 87 ride modes, active suspension, blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control, etc. Where does it go from here? Does it die like the middle weight sport bike segment?
View Quote

The Tenere 700 took it in exactly the opposite direction. It doesnt have any electronics and etc.

We also need to be honest there are only really two sizes of ADV bikes the smaller ones such as the T700, this, and I guess the KLR then all of the big boys like the AT, GSA and Tenere.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 5:29:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Phobby:

Exactly, 500cc enduro or get a big bike. These fat under powered short range mid size bikes are kinda pointless. A lot of people get convinced they want a mid size because of the power but the big bikes can be throttled back by settings. Throw a GSA in Rain mode and tell me how scary the 1250. OTOH, a GSA with all the nannies cut off is a beast.
View Quote

I can't say I have ever met anyone who was concerned about the power. Everyone is concerned about weight. And I know you are just trolling but the 500cc enduro is shit for a do all bike I have multiple bikes and I suspect you do as well but not everyone does. One thing I know is that as much as I love my GSA it is indeed a big bitch.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 5:29:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By CRracer_712:
Is the transalp slated to be imported in the US?
View Quote

Not listed on the US site, so kinda moot here anyway.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 5:46:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Lacking power, but with a full (and elevated) exhaust, and a good tune, it has potential.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 5:50:57 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

More so with  full exhaust and a tune…mine is a brapping beast…I dare say more fun than my m1000rr with less attention
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 5:56:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ayada] [#48]
Originally Posted By PGAEMU:
Lacking power, but with a full (and elevated) exhaust, and a good tune, it has potential.
View Quote

I don't think 90hp in a 460lb bike is really lacking power, much less to it's competition.

It's 5hp more than my much heavier F800, and having stupidly taken that thing to triple digits on tires not designed for it I don't consider it lacking of power. Maybe lacking in how the engine delivered that power in a fun way for sure, but not really lacking overall.

It's an adventure bike with a 21 inch wheel, typically sporting tires that have pretty low max speed limits. How much power do you actually need? The KTM 1290 is a fantastic example of having all the power in the world and not being any better for it than it's smaller version.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#49]
I think people would be shocked at how much power they actually use 99% of the time. My GSA has a bunch but looking at RPMs and average usage I am typically around 60hp. I know, it’s a shocker that ADV riders aren’t screaming around at 12 thousand RPMs.

HP in most modern 700cc bikes is just bullshit on paper, not real world usage.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 6:19:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Last I heard it was Europe only. Did that change?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 34
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top