BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 35
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 6:11:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jus_Ad_Bellum:
Since selling my vstar1300 (first bike I ever really rode on - learned on small displacement bikes as a youth, but never rode on pavement with anything other than a small honda scooter until my late 30's when I bought the 1300 from a buddy), I've bounced around between wanting to replace it with a dual sport or an adv bike. Was pumped about the transalp announcement until I saw the price and the design details. For my use, I'm probably better off with a cb500x or even a versys 300. I don't want to do anything on the freeway. Really enjoy taking the backroads and running around places up at our cabin that I can't take an ATV/UTV.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:
Originally Posted By J-Pat:

"middleweight"

The fucking thing is 500 pounds.

I dual sport a KTM 300. It's 226.

And the key part of the statement is ADV.

Dual sport = riding to the trail.

ADV= riding days/weeks/years at a time across the world in real world conditions while living off your bike
Since selling my vstar1300 (first bike I ever really rode on - learned on small displacement bikes as a youth, but never rode on pavement with anything other than a small honda scooter until my late 30's when I bought the 1300 from a buddy), I've bounced around between wanting to replace it with a dual sport or an adv bike. Was pumped about the transalp announcement until I saw the price and the design details. For my use, I'm probably better off with a cb500x or even a versys 300. I don't want to do anything on the freeway. Really enjoy taking the backroads and running around places up at our cabin that I can't take an ATV/UTV.

have you thought about a Super Moto?  I just added everything needed to my KTM 350 to Super Moto it.

Someone here stated that when you're on it, it feels like you should be getting into trouble any minute.  It IS that much fun on the backroads.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 8:19:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jus_Ad_Bellum] [#2]
Originally Posted By tree-hugger:

have you thought about a Super Moto?  I just added everything needed to my KTM 350 to Super Moto it.

Someone here stated that when you're on it, it feels like you should be getting into trouble any minute.  It IS that much fun on the backroads.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/217473/SuperMoto_png-2668742.JPG
View Quote
They're neat for sure, but I'm leaning towards a min touring and gravel road exploring machine :)
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 8:37:24 PM EDT
[#3]
They're neat for sure, but I'm leaning towards a min touring and gravel road exploring machine :)
View All Quotes

Overnight stuff?
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote

I feel the same way about this 150cc bad boy…

Attachment Attached File

Back roads at 45 mph feels like you are hauling ass!
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 9:16:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is a solid deal on a DR650 for someone.  I affiliation.

ADVrider
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 9:28:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Surprised no one has mentioned this one yet

The Best Adventure Motorcycle – Ducati DesertX Review
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 9:49:12 PM EDT
[#7]

It’s been getting pretty good reviews lately…but don’t they all.

I just don’t love Ducati and over 18k.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 1:42:05 PM EDT
[#8]
It took me 27 years of riding to finally reach that pinnacle of middle-aged dude on an ADV bike. But here we are…

Attachment Attached File

In truth I bought it for $300 in excellent condition vs the current $1600 price tag. I only plan to use it for commuting. But that is probably what they all say and then before you know it you see them hanging out in Starbucks in their astronaut suit.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:10:28 PM EDT
[#9]
It took me 27 years of riding to finally reach that pinnacle of middle-aged dude on an ADV bike. But here we are…

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191077/6900298E-4328-4CED-BA10-FC28E852B14C_jpe-2670467.JPG

In truth I bought it for $300 in excellent condition vs the current $1600 price tag. I only plan to use it for commuting. But that is probably what they all say and then before you know it you see them hanging out in Starbucks in their astronaut suit.
View Quote

This deserves it's own separate thread so we can ridicule you properly. Actually I dont hate it, maybe its an age thing when function>form starts making sense.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:12:16 PM EDT
[#10]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191077/6900298E-4328-4CED-BA10-FC28E852B14C_jpe-2670467.JPG

View Quote

I think I've been trending backwards and have moved from the full Klim set up to a jersey and armor.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:15:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Abominable:

This deserves it's own separate thread so we can ridicule you properly. Actually I dont hate it, maybe its an age thing when function>form starts making sense.
View Quote

I ride down into the teens frequently. At that temp you can be perfectly comfortable, with the right gear.I have a similar two piece suit now but this is genuinely easier on and off than the 2-piece.

So it is 100% function.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:19:21 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

A one piece suit is awesome.  It takes me just about as long to put on my gloves as it does to get into my suit.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 10:04:27 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

I know a lot of guys who rode with those. Some still do. I could never get past the fact that they weren't actually waterproof. So I never got one. I use the Darien pants from the same outfit and those are pretty great.

In the hot weather, I need a mesh jacket.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 10:58:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#14]
Originally Posted By Emoto:

I know a lot of guys who rode with those. Some still do. I could never get past the fact that they weren't actually waterproof. So I never got one. I use the Darien pants from the same outfit and those are pretty great.

In the hot weather, I need a mesh jacket.
View Quote

I have a Darien suit which is great but the pants suck for quick on and off in my work clothes.

I don’t need this to be 100% waterproof as it is literally for my commuting to my office less than 5 miles away and running into town. I have no intentions of using it on long trips.

I can attest to the Darien being waterproof. But so is the liner for my Motoport mesh suit which really kicks ass.

ETA: I think the newer versions of these suits are waterproof. Which of course this one is Gortex but the zipper designs are going to leak sooner or later.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:01:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought a neex23 ktm 690 enduro..all I can say is wow!..it does itxall
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 12:17:08 AM EDT
[#16]

I know a lot of guys who rode with those. Some still do. I could never get past the fact that they weren't actually waterproof.
View All Quotes

I know a lot of guys who rode with those. Some still do. I could never get past the fact that they weren't actually waterproof.

Nothing is waterproof at 70mph.

You people need to ride more.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 12:30:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By mnd:

View Quote

Of course you get some seepage but if you can't ride in the rain for hours on end and stay mostly dry then you need better gear or better technique.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 12:34:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Of course you get some seepage but if you can't ride in the rain for hours on end and stay mostly dry then you need better gear or better technique.
View All Quotes

You say that, but I've been in multi hour deluges and the thing that made the most difference was a beaded seat cover that let my crotch area drain.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 2:32:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the insight! I've been looking at the Rally 300 as well! My wife got a 2018 honda rebel 300 when we took our rider class and got endorsements. I've ridden that a bit since selling my 1300. I'm totally fine with it's limitations so I don't think I'd hate another 300 ish bike. Really Like the looks of the RE Himalayan, but not sure if I'd be happy with the build quality over the years like I would some of the other mentioned bikes.
View All Quotes

Nothing wrong with that either and the resell is still good. But inventory is still pretty thin I am hearing.

I would consider the Honda 300 rally as well if highways  are never or at least rarely a thing.

But keep in mind that any of the 300s like the Honda or the Versys are definitely in a different class when it comes to power. The  Versys will pull 100 but I guarantee it isn't getting there fast. That is also empty and on the flat.

But having said that, I don't know if my DR650 can hit 100. But it definitely has more grunt for hauling stuff around. Fully loaded it will run 80 with no issues and still have some left.

But a bike like the Transalp will eat that stuff up without flinching.
Thanks for the insight! I've been looking at the Rally 300 as well! My wife got a 2018 honda rebel 300 when we took our rider class and got endorsements. I've ridden that a bit since selling my 1300. I'm totally fine with it's limitations so I don't think I'd hate another 300 ish bike. Really Like the looks of the RE Himalayan, but not sure if I'd be happy with the build quality over the years like I would some of the other mentioned bikes.
I love my 300 Rally, but it is definitely a bit under powered with my 200lb frame and some bags strapped on.

It will do about 85mph in the flats, but it takes a bit to get there and isn't really very comfortable at speed.

It is much happier in the 55-65 neighborhood, but I spend most of my time on gravel or double-track going 25-30 and feeling like I'm flying .

Link Posted: 1/14/2023 2:40:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Kanati:
I love my 300 Rally, but it is definitely a bit under powered with my 200lb frame and some bags strapped on.

It will do about 85mph in the flats, but it takes a bit to get there and isn't really very comfortable at speed.

It is much happier in the 55-65 neighborhood, but I spend most of my time on gravel or double-track going 25-30 and feeling like I'm flying .

View Quote
All the roads around here are 55 or 65. The routes I like to take on longer rides are the same. Sounds like it wouldn't be bad for that!
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 8:28:22 AM EDT
[#21]

I have a Darien suit which is great but the pants suck for quick on and off in my work clothes.

I don’t need this to be 100% waterproof as it is literally for my commuting to my office less than 5 miles away and running into town. I have no intentions of using it on long trips.

I can attest to the Darien being waterproof. But so is the liner for my Motoport mesh suit which really kicks ass.

ETA: I think the newer versions of these suits are waterproof. Which of course this one is Gortex but the zipper designs are going to leak sooner or later.
View Quote

Yes, they have one(?) specific model or version that claims to be waterproof, but the regular one still is not. A buddy has the waterproof one. I should check back in with him, but his early reports indicated it was indeed waterproof.

I find that if I unzip the Darien pant legs from the bottom to way up almost to the top, they are pretty easy to put on or take off. Admittedly, that is probably slower than a Stich.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 8:34:00 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

One tour I went on had several days of rain all day. I had my Darien pants and a Motoport Challenger jacket on and stayed completely dry. I didn't expect to, but that's how it went. Small windscreen on the bike I had at the time.

My current FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket keeps me about 90% dry in an all day rain ride. Some seepage. But, the jacket is now 14 years old (!), so it isn't terribly surprising that the gore-tex (or whatever variant they used) is starting to give up.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

Nothing wrong with that either and the resell is still good. But inventory is still pretty thin I am hearing.

I would consider the Honda 300 rally as well if highways  are never or at least rarely a thing.

But keep in mind that any of the 300s like the Honda or the Versys are definitely in a different class when it comes to power. The  Versys will pull 100 but I guarantee it isn't getting there fast. That is also empty and on the flat.

But having said that, I don't know if my DR650 can hit 100. But it definitely has more grunt for hauling stuff around. Fully loaded it will run 80 with no issues and still have some left.

But a bike like the Transalp will eat that stuff up without flinching.

You might want to drop a tooth on the drive sprocket
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 10:38:30 AM EDT
[#24]
I have definitely stayed “dry” on multi day trips in the rain. But like I said it is a combination of good gear and technique. I accept my neck will likely be damp but I have found that varies greatly by helmet. The Schuberth does a good job of blowing water off the back.

On my Aerostich Darien I have to be careful not to screw up the storm flap. I have one really good one piece rainsuit that does well as long as you really pay attention to the crotch.

I have waterproof gloves but if I am setting off in the rain and know it will be a hours or all day affair then I use these covers…

Attachment Attached File

They look stupid and I hate them for their clumsiness but they are far better than soaked cold gloves. Of course a lot of rain is deflected by my hand guards too. These can make a big difference to be honest and they pack up tiny. A wise investment.

As I mentioned my Motoport full mesh suit I love dearly. I have found their waterproof liners to work great as well. No zipper in or around the crotch. I use them in cool weather as well.  It if it is really warm and I am traveling and not using normal clothes beneath I just get rained on. With the mesh I will be dry 15-20 minutes after the rain. The Kevlar of the mesh won’t absorb water and the suit is 100% mesh so it dries incredibly fast. What a great suit. I look like the Michelin Man, but it’s so comfortable and effective I don’t care.

Technique goes back to knowing how to layer your specific gear such as gloves over or under your suit…under for me. Not tucking your gear in motocross style except any base layers which definitely go in the boot. Windshields make a difference in staying dry but also just being comfortable on 10-12 hour days.

I actually do like the beaded seat cover idea though I have never used one. On seats, a dished seat like my GSA will puddle a bit more as opposed to my flat DR seat. I also avoid leather seats which aren’t that common on ADV bikes anyway but they are out there.

As for riding more, I definitely need to. Of course I have started planning a 10,000 mile 30 day trip this summer if things line up so maybe that counts?
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 9:17:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#25]
Well, sadly my new one piece suit didnt fit right. As it was raining today I went back to my Darien 2-piece suit. I think the thing that irritates me the most about the pants is that the armor pockets velcro on and my feet always want to get caught on those. I mean it still only takes 20 seconds to put on.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 9:22:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#26]
I knew it was coming but just really looked at the info today and it looks pretty good in its resurrected form.

460 pounds fueled
90 hp
21”/18” wheels
33.5” seat height with what appears to be a narrow frame.
Not a ridiculous amount of bodywork.
65 claimed mpg

But…the muffler is too low. Even with my minimal off road riding there have been a few instances it would have been underwater. As well the tank is a bit small with a predicted range of 180 miles. Not ridiculous, but my standard is 200 miles. It still has bodywork that is going to have to be protected and is going to bring in some additional weight. The suspension is a bit minimal being around 7.5” but honestly most ADV riders don’t need that much suspension anyway.

But for an ADV bike, not a dual sport, it looks pretty good.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191077/D32C128D-82A9-4281-8D71-40B2756C9BDB_jpe-2659259.JPG

It is of course a direct contender for the Tenere 700.

Ultimately I am not sure it fills a better role for most people than the CB500x if the CB had wire wheels and people were honest with themselves. It certainly fills a hole in Honda’s lineup though in a world where “mid-size” bikes like the AT are as big as a BMW GS.
View Quote

Not that it matters…but it looks like they hired an engineer from the 80’s for the styling. That’s downright ugly. When it comes to “ridability”…time will tell but that hog is nearly 500 lbs. Fuck that. I want a 1000cc+ ADV bike if I’m throwing that kind of weight around. Exhaust nlikely negates the ability to use a skid plate. Low mount front fenders are terrible. Looks fine if 95% of your riding is pavement with 5% being groomed gravel roads.

80lbs more gets you a whole lot more bike.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 9:56:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#27]
Originally Posted By cms81586:

Not that it matters…but it looks like they hired an engineer from the 80’s for the styling. That’s downright ugly. When it comes to “ridability”…time will tell but that hog is nearly 500 lbs. Fuck that. I want a 1000cc+ ADV bike if I’m throwing that kind of weight around. Exhaust nlikely negates the ability to use a skid plate. Low mount front fenders are terrible. Looks fine if 95% of your riding is pavement with 5% being groomed gravel roads.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2980/319362FF-8E01-4032-AEE8-C3A143CEE454_jpe-2675271.JPG
View Quote

80 pounds…80 fucking pounds. That bike with racks and gear will be over 600 pounds.

No one is going to claim that 460 pounds is a lightweight enduro bike, it’s not meant to be. But as an average ADV rider I can definitely say there is a breaking point when it comes to being loaded. I am not sure you can pin point that exact number but I am guessing it is in the low 500s fully loaded. At that weight i can still pick up my bike fairly as a middle aged but decent shape guy.

Going from my GSA, which handles way better than it should, to my DR is mind blowing. Like, holy shit I can’t believe how light this bike feels, difference.

All that weight so you can say you have more horsepower and have faster acceleration when you want to ride like a dick. Because I have said it before and I will say it again. 70mph on my GSA is no faster than 70mph on my DR.

And I am not saying the DRs power is all you ever would want. I am saying we have sacrificed real world usage and reliability in an arms race of power and gadgets.

And I do think there is room for the big ADV bikes. But I am certainly glad to see the trend shifting back to real world useful.

ETA: I agree about the styling but it is to pay homage to the old Transalp. But in fairness I want a BMW that looks like this…
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 10:21:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#28]

80 pounds…80 fucking pounds. That bike with racks and gear will be over 600 pounds.

No one is going to claim that 460 pounds is a lightweight enduro bike, it’s not meant to be. But as an average ADV rider I can definitely say there is a breaking point when it comes to being loaded. I am not sure you can pin point that exact number but I am guessing it is in the low 500s fully loaded. At that weight i can still pick up my bike fairly as a middle aged but decent shape guy.

Going from my GSA, which handles way better than it should, to my DR is mind blowing. Like, holy shit I can’t believe how light this bike feels, difference.

All that weight so you can say you have more horsepower and have faster acceleration when you want to ride like a dick. Because I have said it before and I will say it again. 70mph on my GSA is no faster than 70mph on my DR.

And I am not saying the DRs power is all you ever would want. I am saying we have sacrificed real world usage and reliability in an arms race of power and gadgets.

And I do think there is room for the big ADV bikes. But I am certainly glad to see the trend shifting back to real world useful.

ETA: I agree about the styling but it is to pay homage to the old Transalp. But in fairness I want a BMW that looks like this…
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191077/03208D52-057A-4BF7-A2D5-D8665920817D_jpe-2675295.JPG
View Quote

I don’t disagree…. I don’t want a 500lbs bike one way or another. I still believe the KTM690/Husky701 is the pinnacle of enduro/dual sport/adv bikes right now.  Light enough to toss around on single track and big/powerful enough to hold 75mph for long stretches without abusing the bike.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 10:38:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bhart89] [#29]

I don’t disagree…. I don’t want a 500lbs bike one way or another. I still believe the KTM690/Husky701 is the pinnacle of enduro/dual sport/adv bikes right now.  Light enough to toss around on single track and big/powerful enough to hold 75mph for long stretches without abusing the bike.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2980/8C42CDA4-C59F-41D2-941E-2F5E1EEBAF6C_jpe-2675317.JPG
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191077/03208D52-057A-4BF7-A2D5-D8665920817D_jpe-2675295.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2980/8C42CDA4-C59F-41D2-941E-2F5E1EEBAF6C_jpe-2675317.JPG

This is what I had hoped the XR650L would have evolved into.  That motor with a wide ratio transmission, standard tank placement and Honda reliability would be the unicorn I would start selling bikes for.  

ETA:  as the bikes come right now they are in a class of their own and reliability on the newer ones is reportedly very good.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 11:23:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#30]
Originally Posted By Bhart89:

This is what I had hoped the XR650L would have evolved into.  That motor with a wide ratio transmission, standard tank placement and Honda reliability would be the unicorn I would start selling bikes for.  

ETA:  as the bikes come right now they are in a class of their own and reliability on the newer ones is reportedly very good.
View Quote

My first bike was an L. Great bikes. Acerbis 5.8 gal tank solved the range problems. They sucked at 60+ without a 5th gear but solid bikes. My 690 has been trouble free and runs a whole lot better though.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 11:32:28 AM EDT
[#31]
No question the KTM is the shit is a true dual sport realm. A little heavier than my DR with a few mods but close enough and with twice the power. My only complaints are the lack of subframe and the range. fuel capacity was an issue on the DR but a little less complex to solve.

Still not sure I am convinced on reliability though. How about comfort? How do you find it for 8-10 hour days of slogging down pavement or gravel roads?
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#32]
No question the KTM is the shit is a true dual sport realm. A little heavier than my DR with a few mods but close enough and with twice the power. My only complaints are the lack of subframe and the range. fuel capacity was an issue on the DR but a little less complex to solve.

Still not sure I am convinced on reliability though. How about comfort? How do you find it for 8-10 hour days of slogging down pavement or gravel roads?
View Quote

I’ve never upgraded the seat on any of my bikes….and it’s narrow for sure but more comfortable than the stock XR650L seat. I’ve done 700mi of dirt in a 24hr period on a few occasions and it sucks but is doable. 8-10 is fine with stops every now and then to stretch. Fuel range hasn’t been bad at all. I have a 1 gal rotopax and have never needed it (as in out of fuel). That said…if I were out west again I’d pick a different bike. I’m not comfortable with less than 5 gal of fuel out in the desert.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Here is something that rustles my Jimmies that I knew nothing about until today. But I am really concerned on weight because the RnineT weighs 490pounds not the 460 he claims.

SPOTTED: BMW R nineT gets RESSURECTED!
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:37:50 PM EDT
[#34]
...ETA: I agree about the styling but it is to pay homage to the old Transalp. But in fairness I want a BMW that looks like this…
View Quote

Ask, and ye shall receive.
https://www.maxbmw.com/max-bmw-vintage-motorcycle-listings/qer754ott6908hz1jh3idykt81ah8r
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:44:33 PM EDT
[#35]

What do you guess? I am saying 15-17k at least but maybe even in the 20s by now.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

I had one, a Paris-Dakar model.

Lots of great things about the R80G/S. Lots of not great things, too.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/17/2023 1:32:45 PM EDT
[#37]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2980/319362FF-8E01-4032-AEE8-C3A143CEE454_jpe-2675271.JPG
View Quote

Man I wouldn't throw a modern KTM around if you want to talk about styling.

As time goes on I'd much rather lighter weight than a bigger engine, on the KTM I'd take the 890 over the 1290 even if you offered both to me for free.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 1:47:16 PM EDT
[#38]

80 pounds 80 fucking pounds. That bike with racks and gear will be over 600 pounds.

No one is going to claim that 460 pounds is a lightweight enduro bike, it's not meant to be. But as an average ADV rider I can definitely say there is a breaking point when it comes to being loaded. I am not sure you can pin point that exact number but I am guessing it is in the low 500s fully loaded. At that weight i can still pick up my bike fairly as a middle aged but decent shape guy.

Going from my GSA, which handles way better than it should, to my DR is mind blowing. Like, holy shit I can't believe how light this bike feels, difference.

ETA: I agree about the styling but it is to pay homage to the old Transalp. But in fairness I want a BMW that looks like this
View All Quotes

Not that it matters but it looks like they hired an engineer from the 80's for the styling. That's downright ugly. When it comes to "ridability" time will tell but that hog is nearly 500 lbs. Fuck that. I want a 1000cc+ ADV bike if I'm throwing that kind of weight around. Exhaust nlikely negates the ability to use a skid plate. Low mount front fenders are terrible. Looks fine if 95% of your riding is pavement with 5% being groomed gravel roads.

80 pounds 80 fucking pounds. That bike with racks and gear will be over 600 pounds.

No one is going to claim that 460 pounds is a lightweight enduro bike, it's not meant to be. But as an average ADV rider I can definitely say there is a breaking point when it comes to being loaded. I am not sure you can pin point that exact number but I am guessing it is in the low 500s fully loaded. At that weight i can still pick up my bike fairly as a middle aged but decent shape guy.

Going from my GSA, which handles way better than it should, to my DR is mind blowing. Like, holy shit I can't believe how light this bike feels, difference.

ETA: I agree about the styling but it is to pay homage to the old Transalp. But in fairness I want a BMW that looks like this
A guy I ride with locally has one and is always bringing it out to dualsport rides.

Attachment Attached File

He's always showing up with something interesting though...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#40]

What do you guess? I am saying 15-17k at least but maybe even in the 20s by now.
View All Quotes

Jeez, I have no clue. If it has been restored, I would expect big money. They list another one that is partially restored. The shop owner is a good guy, but I don't know how much time he spends in the NH store anymore; he may be in CT most of the time.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 2:00:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#41]

Jeez, I have no clue. If it has been restored, I would expect big money. They list another one that is partially restored. The shop owner is a good guy, but I don't know how much time he spends in the NH store anymore; he may be in CT most of the time.
View Quote

That one is really nice with good upgrades. I just can't get over where the prices have gone with these. I mean I get it, they are collectible and I would probably jump on 5-6k but that just isnt reality. I was telling my wife the other day there are probably three sitting in a barn somewhere in our county just rotting down..."Dad's old bikes".
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 2:30:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Ayada:

As time goes on I'd much rather lighter weight than a bigger engine, on the KTM I'd take the 890 over the 1290 even if you offered both to me for free.
View Quote

I havent got to ride the 890 yet, but Ive ridden my buddies Tenere 700 and honestly I wouldnt give up my 1290 for the difference in off road handling. The 700 is easier to ride off road, but not enough for me to give up the awesome torque and hp of the 1290, it's almost evil how fun it is to ride on and off the pavement. I've taken it on the same jeep trails and single tracks I've been on my drz400, I dont know how KTM does it but they just feel like a lighter bike than they are (as long as you stay on and dont have to lift it after a get off). Mine's not even an R model, but the T and it's insanely capable off road.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 2:36:39 PM EDT
[#43]

I havent got to ride the 890 yet, but Ive ridden my buddies Tenere 700 and honestly I wouldnt give up my 1290 for the difference in off road handling. The 700 is easier to ride off road, but not enough for me to give up the awesome torque and hp of the 1290, it's almost evil how fun it is to ride on and off the pavement. I've taken it on the same jeep trails and single tracks I've been on my drz400, I dont know how KTM does it but they just feel like a lighter bike than they are (as long as you stay on and dont have to lift it after a get off). Mine's not even an R model, but the T and it's insanely capable off road.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ayada:

How does it do on the wet days?

Even the T7's seem too heavy for some of the goopy dual sport rides we get here in Arkansas in the winter.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 3:13:53 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

Keep in mind the 890r has 30hp more than the Tenere 700, and that's certainly a noticeable amount in bikes.

This is just my opinion having ridden both of the 1290 and 890 back to back on the same route, but I found the 890 was a bit more "fun" on the road because you could just go full twist and get enough power to rocket off with a small power wheelie and while doing the same thing on the 1290 meant the computers kicked in to save you and they made sure you were aware they were doing so. The 1290 did have a torque advantage and I did feel it on the highway when we went to pass some traffic and it certainly accelerated decently in 6th gear, but with that never really came a time where I felt like I could just twist that throttle and kick through an entire gear.

It's certainly not a bad package of a bike, and I would still probably take a 1290 over a 1250GS for example, but I guess for my wants the 890 does everything I want and more. Then again, I say that and instead of buying one like I was planning on I bought a CRF450RL and just kept my F800GS.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 3:33:37 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

@canoeguy

Congrats. My brother has one in light blue and it's saved his skin (literally) twice. There is a quick way of sliding in and out. My brother showed me once but I didn't pay much attention as I don't have one.

Saw a guy bombing down the road in my hometown in one that was in a VERY faded high-vis yellow with red patches. Had to be the ugliest looking outfit I've ever seen on the road.

Welcome fellow Fud!
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

I spent 3 months on a trip through all kinds of weather.

I had a Firstgear Kilimanjaro jacket and Olympia Goretex pants and NEVER got wet. Water leaking into my helmet was the biggest challenge I had.

As another posted, the Beadrider seat beads let your ass ride up over the water level on your seat and I think it helps quite a bit.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By kpacman:

@canoeguy

Congrats. My brother has one in light blue and it's saved his skin (literally) twice. There is a quick way of sliding in and out. My brother showed me once but I didn't pay much attention as I don't have one.

Saw a guy bombing down the road in my hometown in one that was in a VERY faded high-vis yellow with red patches. Had to be the ugliest looking outfit I've ever seen on the road.

Welcome fellow Fud!
View Quote

Unfortunately it didnt quite fit so I am already selling it and looking for another because I see the ease of it for commuting.

My problem was I bought it as a short but bigger than I normally wear because i wanted some room, but didnt want more leg length. What got me was I didnt realize that short meant shorter torso as well. It fit great standing and walking around but on the bike it was a bit restrictive. I was pretty bummed out. But there will be another. No yellow for me though.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 4:03:38 PM EDT
[#48]
How does it do on the wet days?

Even the T7's seem too heavy for some of the goopy dual sport rides we get here in Arkansas in the winter.
View Quote

Oh it's teh suck in thick slimy mud. Name a 2 wheeled bike that isn't though.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#49]

Unfortunately it didnt quite fit so I am already selling it and looking for another because I see the ease of it for commuting.

My problem was I bought it as a short but bigger than I normally wear because i wanted some room, but didnt want more leg length. What got me was I didnt realize that short meant shorter torso as well. It fit great standing and walking around but on the bike it was a bit restrictive. I was pretty bummed out. But there will be another. No yellow for me though.
View Quote

Did you buy new? If so, call them and they'll work with you.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 5:18:39 PM EDT
[#50]
My ADV riding buddy (Jordan) and I are laying out our next ride. It will be this summer. Either it will be trailer the bikes to Canuckistan then unload and ride the AlCan  to Fairbanks then north to Prudhoe bay or if the snow mexicans get stoopid again (Neither of us got the clot shot) we just trailer them out to Colorado/Moab etc. and do a random tour of ghost towns, abandoned mines and passes. (Camp Hale is also on the list)
Bikes are a KLR650 and a DR650.
Couple of e-bikes for poking around when we visit towns too.
Poor mans overlanding for us, a Tacoma and a Superduty, both 4wd.
Page / 35
Top Top