Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 4/22/2024 10:12:31 AM EDT
After unfortunately being an IPhone user for over 10 years now, I've realized that half the features that are Apple exclusive are pretty meaningless and serve ultimately zero purpose. I woke up this morning 2 hours late because my IPhone refused to trigger the same alarm it's been doing every morning for years now... I'm just tired of constantly looking at this piece of crap, and I think I'm ready for something new. The new galaxy phones are pretty interesting, wondering if any previous IPhone user here made the switch, and did or didn't regret it?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:15:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I've gone back and forth over the years. I am
an appliance operator when it comes to
phones. The features and benefits of android are lost on me.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:17:16 AM EDT
[#2]
There's no option to vote boomer?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:18:25 AM EDT
[#3]
My wife has an iphone, basic things like delete app cache, to free up space or sorting files by size are apparently not something people do on iPhones.

The camera is great, everything else blows.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By WhenWolf:
I woke up this morning 2 hours late because my IPhone refused to trigger the same alarm it's been doing every morning for years now...
View Quote
Skeptical
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:20:37 AM EDT
[#5]
From your opening statement, it is clear you just want to jump into the iPhone haters club, so just do it already.  No need for all your drama.

If you want to actually use a phone, use iPhone.
If you like to hack your phone in every way imaginable, use android.
If you just want the cheapest phone there is, use android.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:21:32 AM EDT
[#6]
apple blows
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:24:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been Android since ditching my Blackberry in 09. I tried iphone a few times including once for about a week.  I never liked it.  My wife had iphone for years and recently switched to Android. She likes to complain, but I haven't heard her complain about the Android phone.  She has mentioned that she didn't realize how dumb some of the iPhone stuff was until switching.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#8]
i think the privacy in iphone is a good bit better than android
there are a lot of things i don't like though but privacy keeps me on iphone.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Guy at work went android to iPhone and he hates it. I run the S24+ and love it. I have an iPhone for work and gf has the latest iPhone Pro Max.Make the switch and see if it works for you. I can use either but prefer android.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:26:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Google is evil.  Keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Superluckycat:
View Quote

That's true.

Apple is too.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:29:45 AM EDT
[#12]
For me, the decision, in order of priority, boils down to:

1. battery life
2. camera
3. operating system
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By HDLS:
Skeptical
View Quote

I don’t know, back in a former life I had many young workers have random alarm failures. They would look and see that it was turned on and test it, and it would work. This goes way beyond phones, this has been happening even when people used alarm clocks. (Which is particularly interesting as that would be the single most important feature of those devices)
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:34:05 AM EDT
[#14]
My opinion at this point is that iPhones are a more reliable/stable product and it is really nice if you are fully committed to the Apple world.  Even better if all your friends and family are committed to it as well.  With that said, I hate iPhones.  The whole interface is shit.  I hate swiping.  Give me my damn home and back soft keys.  

Also the fact that Apple makes text bubbles from Android users a different color is stupid but since it pisses iPhone users off so much, I get a lot of laughs from messing up their group texts.  "Ow, the green bubble hurts my eyes".  
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:35:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#15]
I abandoned Apple phones a very long time ago as they were basically made entirely of glass and to delicate / expensive to serve as a reliable critical device that often saw rugged, or careless handling. I lost count of the I phones Iv seen with broken / shattered glass blacks, screens, etc. seriously, who the fuck makes a fucking phone entirely out of glass ? I want a cell phone manufactured out of the 1980s plastic they made dial phones out of that was unbreakable, or old Nokia built cell phones. I’m paying $500 - $1000 for a pocket telephone / computer, I want the damn thing to last forever , survive being dropped on concrete, brick, dirt, getting rained on, splashed, puked on, shaken, rattled, etc. because $500-$1000 is a lot of fucking money to me, and to 99% of the planet and very difficult to replace a $500-$1000 critical device , so I want it to look decent, and be TOUGH.  Who the fuck makes such a device intended for average people out of Fucking glass.

I love android phones, my favorites are the tough versions that are already ruggidized / water / shock resistant to begin with, then add a case which makes them even tougher. I can honestly say Iv never broken one,or had one fail and I abuse the shit out of them, hauling them in wet, dusty, hot, cold, rattling around on utv dash / tractor tool basket, etc.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By mx5autoxer:
I've been Android since ditching my Blackberry in 09. I tried iphone a few times including once for about a week.  I never liked it.  My wife had iphone for years and recently switched to Android. She likes to complain, but I haven't heard her complain about the Android phone.  She has mentioned that she didn't realize how dumb some of the iPhone stuff was until switching.
View Quote

What stuff did she find particularly dumb?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#17]
I vote switch.

I just recently went the other way. I was an Android user forever, and just got my first iPhone.

Honestly, I think the Android was better/more intuitive to use. And the camera of my old Android was better than my new IPhone camera. That matters as I take lots of pictures of my kids.

After switching, honestly, I don’t see why the iPhone is so popular. I switched because my whole friend/family group have iPhones. Wish I didn’t.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Fapple
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:41:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Google Pixel or OnePlus

Galaxy phones are garbage. Samsung One UI is straight trash.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Droid = more techy, less secure.  Potential for more problems, virus and malware.

I have no idea why you can't get your alarms to work.  My iPhone has been 100% on alarms for years.

Don't switch to droid if you are looking for less problems.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:46:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Soybomb:
There's no option to vote boomer?
View Quote

Edgy AF .
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#22]
I spent 4 years with an android personal phone and an apple company phone. The biggest plus of an apple phone was better reception and call quality.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:48:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm sticking with iPhone.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Skeptical
View Quote

dude i can't begin to explain how many times i've woken up to the screen ON with the alarm flashing, but no noise coming out of the phone.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:51:31 AM EDT
[#25]
IT guy here. Deal with computers, networks, users, problems all day. I hate Apple and Macs. For my phone I just want something that works and is easy to use. That happens to be an iPhone. No hassles, it just works. My wife uses an Android phone and complains about it all the time. I get dragged into supporting it and it's a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#26]
May as well transition while you are at it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:52:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Get galaxy phone
Visit XDA developers to see if custom ROMs are available.
Backup your OS
Install TWRP of other recovery
Install custom ROM

Bonus: Use microG services instead of Google play services.

Project privacy
F big tech
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Kent:
From your opening statement, it is clear you just want to jump into the iPhone haters club, so just do it already.  No need for all your drama.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:54:10 AM EDT
[#29]
I only have 2 things I want when buying a phone. It has to be unlocked (mnvo's are cheaper than Verizon, T mobile etc) and have a really good camera. I doubt I use 90%+ of the phone capabilities and rarely go past 2 gigs of data and more often only 1 gig.
Last one I got was a Samsung A53 5G, which supposedly was close in tech shit when compared to the latest Samsung (21 or something) and was around 400 bucks.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#30]
iPhone notifications are a pitiful joke.

See
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:58:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Abandoned iPhone after the 4. Still have to use an iPad for work sometimes and the interaction with it is atrocious.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:00:09 AM EDT
[#32]
I've had iPhones since 2010.  Currently carrying an iPhone 13 (personal) and a Samsung Galaxy S23 (work) and the Galaxy is janky as hell.  Text message autocorrect sucks, OS updates push games and shit I don't want that I have to delete, almost every notification uses the same sound so I can't tell if I got a text message or a weather advisory (I might be able to fix that if I dig into it enough), the list goes on and on...  I'm tempted to break or lose this thing and ask for an iPhone as a replacement like everyone else has.

Maybe I'm not enough of a super user to appreciate the flexibility of the Android OS, but using it is like wearing my shoes on the wrong feet compared to iOS.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:00:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Orion10182011] [#33]

dude i can't begin to explain how many times i've woken up to the screen ON with the alarm flashing, but no noise coming out of the phone.
View Quote

The only time I experience this is when I have the phone switched to silent mode or the volume turned all the way down.

This is starting to sound like an ID10T error...
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:02:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By TexasOutdoorsman:
apple blows
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:05:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Does iPhone support wifi hopping yet? It didn't when I was on the platform.

Also I don't think each apps volume can be controlled individually.

Also the wifi analyzing capability of iPhone is basically zilch.

I have an S22 Ultra. Wished battery life was a bit better but seeing as how I use it as my insulin pump.manager I guess I can't complain. It charges fast at least.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:05:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HDLS] [#36]
Originally Posted By Gspointer:

I don’t know, back in a former life I had many young workers have random alarm failures. They would look and see that it was turned on and test it, and it would work. This goes way beyond phones, this has been happening even when people used alarm clocks. (Which is particularly interesting as that would be the single most important feature of those devices)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gspointer:
Skeptical

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#37]
I had android for years and could never get family videos, battery life sucked, always being reminded to restart the phone. Made the switch to iPhone 4 years ago and I do not see any reason to go back. iMessage has been the best texting app I’ve had. With android there was always a better one but non were on par with iMessage as of 4 years ago.

Biggest adjustment was not having a notification light, and there is a workaround with iPhones to use your camera flash as notification but I actually prefer not having something trying to get me to constantly look at it so I got over it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:11:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Orion10182011:
Droid = more techy, less secure.  Potential for more problems, virus and malware.

I have no idea why you can't get your alarms to work.  My iPhone has been 100% on alarms for years.

Don't switch to droid if you are looking for less problems.
View Quote

i don't understand why people say this crap

what are y'all doing to get freaking viruses and malware on your phones??
holy shit, y'all really do click every link you see on the web don't you?!
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:12:16 AM EDT
[#39]
I was an Android user for many years.  Had two Samsung's batteries died early. Pissed me off so I went to Apple.  Got an IPhone 13.  Hated it with a passion but all the Apple people told me I got a bad phone so I upgraded to iPhone 14. Same shit.  Went back to Android and life is better again.

Here are a few reasons for hating iPhone:

1. Speech to text sucks.  My previous Samsung Android was galaxy 7 and it worked fine.  My current is S23 and it works fine.  iPhone was terrible!  I had to correct so many mistranslations I just ended up typing my texts.  
2. The touch screen sucked.  I live in AZ and I work with my hands a lot so I have dry hands with rough skin.  The iphone came with a screen protector and I took that off and it was still unresponsive.  My Samsung HAS a screen protector and it is very responsive.
3. Hate the Apple interface - although in fairness so many Apps I use are google now and they use the same "Change for change's sake" philosophy that Apple does.

Android isn't perfect but I like it much better than Apple. Been there, done that, will not go there again!
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:12:39 AM EDT
[#40]
The only time my alarm hasn’t worked has been my fault.

I only want to turn my phone on and use it with the least amount of steps possible.

iPhone and Apple does that better than anyone.

Plus I can move from my phone to iPad to Mac work computer to Mac home computer to Mac book completely seamlessly. Plus can text from computer on airplane.

No amount of features would ever make me lose all of that.

Plus I can walk into an Apple store and tell them to fix whatever the issue is and walk out with it fixed.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:13:14 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Then something is terribly wrong with YOUR phone. I've had both over the years, yes somethings in Apple land aren't great but by in large they work. I can't say the same about Android but since you've convinced yourself at least look into custom Rom's to strip a lot of the bloatware and junk that's pre-loaded on most Android phones.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:15:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By farfromhome:
Get galaxy phone
Visit XDA developers to see if custom ROMs are available.
Backup your OS
Install TWRP of other recovery
Install custom ROM

Bonus: Use microG services instead of Google play services.

Project privacy
F big tech
View Quote

real shit
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Superluckycat:
View Quote

So is Apple.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:17:31 AM EDT
[#44]
PSA: Google calendar reminders do not work reliably on iPhones without some extra workarounds. If you're using google calendar on an iPhone and having issues with reminders, that's why.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:17:51 AM EDT
[#45]
I have always had androids. Specifically the Note series and now the S23 Ultra or whatever.

I've tried to use her phone on occasion and simply cannot warm up to it. Its not as intuitive to me and I like buttons.

There are cultists on both sides.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:18:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Kent:

View Quote

LOL! I switched BACK to Android because I needed something that just works.  Apple speech to text sucks and the screen is often unresponsive.  I often had to lick my damn fingers to get it to respond well.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:18:51 AM EDT
[#47]
I would gladly go back to a basic flip phone.   Only thing that holds me back is not having my music and podcasts.    

It’s ironic though that I’m typing this out on my iPhone.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:19:06 AM EDT
[#48]
I started out with Blackberry, then android. I got an IPhone 4S and haven’t looked back. I have a 13 pro now. I don’t have any complaints.

I have lots of complaints about the Androids I had, but that was so long ago they are irrelevant now. I’d just pick a ne and stick with it.

I’m sold on the reliability of the Apple products. My family has 4 iPhones, 4 iPads, 2 Apple Watches and 2 AirPods. At this point I’m invested enough in Apple that they would have to start going to crap for me to change.

There are some thing I don’t like though, like changing layout every time there is an update, Apple trying to control what music I can add to videos, etc.. I think Android offers a bit more freedom on those areas. Reliability is more important to me and Apple has done well on that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:20:13 AM EDT
[#49]
iPhone all day. Plus they are better of two shit companies.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:20:15 AM EDT
[#50]
I have an iPhone. Never had a Samsung. I've never experienced the issues  Apple haters claim to have. I have no loyalty to a phone brand, but between me, my wife and our kids, everyone has apple products (laptops, iPads, iPhones) so we just stay within the same ecosystem. I'm sure the Galaxy phones are great, and in the end there is really little to no difference between the brands. It's a fucking phone.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top