Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:54:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I've always used android and have had good and bad phones over the years.  Currently have a Pixel 7 Pro and it has great performance, long battery life and fast charging but... Google's warranty program is giant scam and the Pixel 7 and 7 Pro can and often will lose wireless charging and phone share charging. Mine quit about a month after getting a wireless charger and Google refused to honor the warranty because the back of the phone, which is made of glass for some stupid reason, had a tiny crack in it.  Any damage to the phone automatically voids the warranty.  The only thing the warranty covers is broken screens and then only if there are no scuffs, cracks or signs of "damage" on the rest of the phone. Basically it's set up so they can deny most of the claims made under warranty.  I will NEVER buy another Google phone.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:05:35 PM EDT
[#2]
The only phones I ever had, and I've had a bunch of Androids - were Apple and Samsung.  The rest are shit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:13:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Fullautoguy:
Droids are janky
View Quote

yah, because the newest "droid" will be 8 years old already.

Droid was a marketing name by Verizon for some cheap Motorola phones.  a modern Samsung Andriod phone is not your father's "droid"
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By RikWriter:

The problem isn't getting stuff OFF the phone, it's loading stuff ONTO the phone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Marie:
Originally Posted By California_Kid:

Yeah, but you can use iMazing or something similar.  That's how I backed up my wife's stuff when she was in the hospital.

iCloud or Google Photos/Drive work fine. I use both for redundancy.

The problem isn't getting stuff OFF the phone, it's loading stuff ONTO the phone.

I hate the walled garden that iOS is.  I know why they have it but I don't like it.

If I have some video files that I want to load on an iPad and use VLC to watch them, I have to use iTunes and load them in the VLC storage area.  imovie can't see those files if they're in the VLC silo and VLC can't see any video file stored outside of the VLC silo.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JaredC1:

You can’t do that with android now without logging into various things.

You also can’t text from your PC.

There is no android store with techs in house.

There is no android business center with reps and classes

I know you are very emotionally invested in which phone people use, but it’s not important enough to overly hype the stuff you like.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Loonytik:
The only time my alarm hasn’t worked has been my fault.

I only want to turn my phone on and use it with the least amount of steps possible.

iPhone and Apple does that better than anyone.

Plus I can move from my phone to iPad to Mac work computer to Mac home computer to Mac book completely seamlessly. Plus can text from computer on airplane.

No amount of features would ever make me lose all of that.

Plus I can walk into an Apple store and tell them to fix whatever the issue is and walk out with it fixed.

You could do all of that with Android....10 years ago.

I know you are very emotionally invested in which phone people use, but it’s not important enough to overly hype the stuff you like.

sure you can.  do it every day

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Jack_Of_Some_Trades:

I hate the walled garden that iOS is.  I know why they have it but I don't like it.

If I have some video files that I want to load on an iPad and use VLC to watch them, I have to use iTunes and load them in the VLC storage area.  imovie can't see those files if they're in the VLC silo and VLC can't see any video file stored outside of the VLC silo.
View Quote
Do it every day

Attachment Attached File

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/8695/Screenshot_2024-04-22_172411_png-3195435.JPG
View Quote
Similar functionality but not remotely the same feature.

The Mac will relay messages to and from the phone. Google is giving you a similar feature but not exactly the same technology
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:36:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
@Gator

There is something wrong with your install.
reset all settings and if that does not correct it, restore.

Screen sleep absolutely does not effect update download.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gator:

Opposite experience here.

The OS update for my iPhone 14 totally sucks... I'll have to kick it off at least a half dozen times before anything actually happens.  Then I have to constantly monitor it since they're too fucking stupid to not let the screen sleep interrupt the update half the time even when it's plugged in (mandated screen sleep can't change it).

Usually my Galaxy wants to update at annoying times, but it has always worked until now... I know I cursed myself with that statement.

TL/DR: Both platforms are complex tech devices not free from issues.
@Gator

There is something wrong with your install.
reset all settings and if that does not correct it, restore.

Screen sleep absolutely does not effect update download.

Previous iPhone was doing that too, but not as badly.  I don't remember having to kick it of half a dozen times +.

It's managed, so restoring isn't an option.  I just figured it's pretty common with the dang things.  I'm getting paid to screw around with it, so it doesn't bother me enough to take it to the desktop dudes to fix.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:55:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Previous iPhone was doing that too, but not as badly.  I don't remember having to kick it of half a dozen times +.

It's managed, so restoring isn't an option.  I just figured it's pretty common with the dang things.  I'm getting paid to screw around with it, so it doesn't bother me enough to take it to the desktop dudes to fix.  
View Quote
You should still be able to restore it, even managed. But I'd reset all settings and see what happens.

reset all settings is generally a cure all for certain things. On a computer we can go In and surgically remove items. In IOS we don't want people having to do that we "reset all settings" clears everything worth doing while leaving user date, apps and specific settings alone
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I have broken every Android I've ever owned, some of them with a single drop even with a case.

I have never broken an iPhone. I had a first gen SE that lasted me from 2016 to 2022 and the screen didn't even crack. The battery life just got really shitty and I couldn't update it anymore.

So I only buy iPhones now. YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:28:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't, If you are just thinking of switching, then you don't get it.

When there is doubt there is no doubt.

Please leave android to us, you know, the people with common sense.

79% OF GEN Z US CONSUMERS PREFER IPHONES TO RIVALS, FINDS BLOOMBERG INTELLIGENCE
February 23, 2023
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:34:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I've never broken a phone AT ALL, except a $30 burner that got stepped on by a camel.  I've had iPhones since the very first model and I've always put them in otterbox cases.  Every one has lasted long enough to wipe and turn over to a younger family member.  My wife as well.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:38:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Boomer:
Struggles to use the alarm on an iOS device.

Thinks switching to an Android device where the biggest claimed benefit is the ability to reprogram half the shit in the OS will somehow make life easier.

Seems well thought out.
View Quote

This.

I voted yes because if one can’t figure how to get their alarm working again on an iPhone, the future following threads on how to work androids will be hilarious.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:46:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Do it every day

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/313055/IMG_8468_jpeg-3195440.JPG

OK, so I can download videos using VLC into the ios device, but are those files still siloed within VLC or are they available for viewing with both VLC and iMovie?

The Mac will relay messages to and from the phone. Google is giving you a similar feature but not exactly the same technology
View All Quotes

Do it every day

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/313055/IMG_8468_jpeg-3195440.JPG

OK, so I can download videos using VLC into the ios device, but are those files still siloed within VLC or are they available for viewing with both VLC and iMovie?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/8695/Screenshot_2024-04-22_172411_png-3195435.JPG

ok, but I can still read and write texts on my PC and google will send them to the phone to do the actual transmission.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:47:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By CyberSlacker:

79% OF GEN Z US CONSUMERS PREFER IPHONES TO RIVALS, FINDS BLOOMBERG INTELLIGENCE
February 23, 2023
View Quote

Agreed, leave it to the android zealots that think they have common sense.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:50:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Jellyfrosh:
I have broken every Android I've ever owned, some of them with a single drop even with a case.

I have never broken an iPhone. I had a first gen SE that lasted me from 2016 to 2022 and the screen didn't even crack. The battery life just got really shitty and I couldn't update it anymore.

View Quote

It really does.  My daughter has broken countless iPhones.  Thank God we started getting the insurance on them.  I have broken two Android phones and one was an LG, which sucked and I would never buy again.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:03:49 PM EDT
[#16]

ok, but I can still read and write texts on my PC and google will send them to the phone to do the actual transmission.
View Quote
No, I don't believe they are transmitting through the phone. I'm not 100% certain how they are doing it but direct relay between the phone and computer is patented and Google hasn't licensed it
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:20:39 PM EDT
[#17]

It really does.  My daughter has broken countless iPhones.  Thank God we started getting the insurance on them.  I have broken two Android phones and one was an LG, which sucked and I would never buy again.
View All Quotes

I really wonder about you folks who are constantly breaking your phones. I’ve had a smartphone since 2008 or so (mostly iPhones, two Androids in there somewhere) and I’ve NEVER broken a phone. No cracked screen, nothing. I buy good cases and while I drop them sometimes, I don’t throw them across the room or throw them out of my car.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:25:28 PM EDT
[#18]

I really wonder about you folks who are constantly breaking your phones. I’ve had a smartphone since 2008 or so (mostly iPhones, two Androids in there somewhere) and I’ve NEVER broken a phone. No cracked screen, nothing. I buy good cases and while I drop them sometimes, I don’t throw them across the room or throw them out of my car.
View All Quotes

The LG I broke before the case could arrive.  The other phone that broke was one of the first smart phones I owned and I didn't know any better.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:32:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I  vote android but with grapheneOS
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:05:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Global_Cooling:
Google Pixel or OnePlus

Galaxy phones are garbage. Samsung One UI is straight trash.
View Quote

I have a pixel.  Only good thing about it is GrapheneOS.

Search for pixel connectivity issues.  Google trashed their modem drivers with an update a few months ago and have yet to fix it.

Not everyone has it but many do.  Myself included. Google support is beyond worthless.

On Verizon's network I suddenly received texts half a day later if ever, missed phone calls, and have the data go out constantly. Putting it in airplane mode and then back worked for a. It. Switched to T-Mobiles network and it's been better but not great.

If you can load the old driver your problems will go away.

Imo if it weren't for GrapheneOS I'm not sure I'd use Android at all.  I don't care what anyone says, it's not a smooth operating system. Pixel 7a.  Scrolling action is terrible. I was able to make it better with some dev options but it's not the same.  

When I first switched I noticed I used 800mb of data a month less on an iphone than android.  It was googles spy bs, ad bs, and trannies at Google scanning my phone looking for naked kid pics for them to save to their personal computers. Fags.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:13:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By madcap3k:

I have a pixel.  Only good thing about it is GrapheneOS.

Search for pixel connectivity issues.  Google trashed their modem drivers with an update a few months ago and have yet to fix it.

Not everyone has it but many do.  Myself included. Google support is beyond worthless.

On Verizon's network I suddenly received texts half a day later if ever, missed phone calls, and have the data go out constantly. Putting it in airplane mode and then back worked for a. It. Switched to T-Mobiles network and it's been better but not great.

If you can load the old driver your problems will go away.

Imo if it weren't for GrapheneOS I'm not sure I'd use Android at all.  I don't care what anyone says, it's not a smooth operating system. Pixel 7a.  Scrolling action is terrible. I was able to make it better with some dev options but it's not the same.  

When I first switched I noticed I used 800mb of data a month less on an iphone than android.  It was googles spy bs, ad bs, and trannies at Google scanning my phone looking for naked kid pics for them to save to their personal computers. Fags.

View Quote
the fix for the connectivity issue came out a few days ago. check for an OS update
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:36:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Got the burr in my ass a number of years ago - Android is open, you can do whatever you want, blah, blah. So I made the switch to Samsung after having 3 iPhones. Had it only for about 3-4 months and it drove me insane. The screen was amazing, the software not so much. One night I was up to some absurd hour trying to figure out where the hell my music library went in the thing. Only the Samsung music app could see it, nothing else could. I am not a tech novice and used to work on the Unix kernel so what the heck.

Next morning I got my ass up and drove to the Apple store - BYE BYE. Apple guy said plug it in, sign in and leave it alone for an hour. One hour later it was like I never left.

If you are a twiddler and love screwing around with Windows than Android is for you. I dont have the patience for that shit after dealing with computers all day for my job. I just want it to work. Yes Apple totally controls the user experience but thats what I like. They do it so I dont have to deal with it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:02:29 AM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

Same here. And I don't think that I am particularly easy on them, even regularly carrying them in an industrial environment.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:15:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sc00t3r] [#24]
I prefer android and honestly anything other than IOS. IOS can be a pain if you want to download apps or tools that are not supported on the app store or charge you $$$ to download from third party app stores.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:20:00 AM EDT
[#25]
I've been Android for well over a decade but I've also had an iPhone for work about that same time.  I've always felt iPhones weren't as intuitive as Android systems.  

YMMV
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:07:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: normbal] [#26]
I’ve been using Apple computers since 2002 (after decades of unusable shelfware, obsolete hardware and Windows updates du jour) and bought an iPhone 3 - what was that, 2 or 3 years into the product?

I bought a Motorola Android phone four months ago and won’t be going back.

Why?

Non-responsive Apple customer service and irreparable damage to my music library, contact database, text message and email.

Really really.  I’ve spent hours, days, weeks’ worth of my time with Apple bar subgeniuses, on the phone with tech services, posted in the Apple online forums and have gotten nowhere resolving issues like:

-ALL my email disappeared about three years ago. Every message gone. Headers/subject lines remained, body of the msgs? Zip, zero, nada. A lot of those were medical records, patient communications. Apple’s response? “Meh. Must’ve been something YOU did.”

- My music library, somewhere on the order of several hundred gigabytes, started “losing” songs a few years ago. Copyright issues? Random data loss/bitrot?  Reload the CD, songs are there, another update comes along and *POOF* missing music.

Just ONE folder, containing over 400 songs (Irish traditional) I rebuilt, reloading disc after disc only to “SYNCH” and find an empty folder on my iPhone - again. This happened several times already with other folders, other music. I had one folder with “Country music” whittled down to just 4 songs once… which, now that I think about it, is really the history of country music right there. Ahem.

So more time spent on the phone with the tech weenies and their conclusion? “Meh. Must’ve been something YOU did.”

The last straw came along about six months ago (last fall?) when all of a sudden album covers got switched around. It’s as if someone broke into my house and spent a day taking LPs and CDs out of their jackets and cases and putting them back randomly.

A recording of Django Reinhardt and Stephan Grapelli now sports the Album cover from Stephen Wilson’s “Home Invasion” or Led Zepplin II depending on the song.  It gets weirder from there.

Backups? I have those. Spent hours and hours on the phone with Apple tech geekazoids whose final judgment was “Meh. Must’ve been something YOU did.”

so I bought an Android phone,am learning how to use Linux on my laptop and will eventually replace the OS on my iMac desktop computer when I’ve got a handle on it and the ONLY thing that’s not really working for me is text messaging with iPhone users. It just doesn’t work. Apple says it’s Verizon, Verizon says it’s Apple, Moto/Android community says Verizon needs to reset something and Verizon tech geekazoids say “Meh. Must’ve been something YOU did.”

This is llke the era of Bell Telephone owning all the telephone lines and politicians so you HAD to buy Bell equipment and pay for THEIR service. Congress eventually waded in and broke that crap up if any of you remember the 1980’s. But here we are in the 21st century (Pedo Joe doesn’t know what day of the week it is much less which century) with monopolistic, in-you-face pi$$-poor customer “service” and anyone else notice Apple no longer uses the motto “It Just Works”?

So I’ve been retired for two years now, and spend more time than I wanted reorganizing my music, learning to use POWERAMP app for play and the best thing is, I’ve got a 1 TB micro SD card in my Moto/Android phone I’ve got all my data backed up on, all my music files, email/etc (and yes, I have online and SS hard drive backups for all that too) and the battery life is measured in DAYS, not HOURS like my last iPhone 13, which I keep around for music streaming as the DAC is pretty good.

There are times I envy the Amish - but even THEY carry cell phones these days. Just not for all the apps.

I’m convinced there is an 8th level of hell just for IT geeks and mechanical engineers where Satan has this written on the walls of their foul, demon-infested sulphurous pits of despair:

“Meh. Must’ve been something YOU did.”
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:20:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By normbal:
I’ve been using Apple computers since 2002 (after decades of unusable shelfware, obsolete hardware and Windows updates du jour) and bought an iPhone 3 - what was that, 2 or 3 years into the product?

Why?

Non-responsive Apple customer service and irreparable damage to my music library, contact database, text message and email.

Really really.  I’ve spent hours, days, weeks’ worth of my time with Apple bar subgeniuses, on the phone with tech services, posted in the Apple online forums and have gotten nowhere resolving issues like:

-ALL my email disappeared about three years ago. Every message gone. Headers/subject lines remained, body of the msgs? Zip, zero, nada. A lot of those were medical records, patient communications. Apple’s response? “Meh. Must’ve been something YOU did.”

- My music library, somewhere on the order of several hundred gigabytes, started “losing” songs a few years ago. Copyright issues? Random data loss/bitrot?  Reload the CD, songs are there, another update comes along and *POOF* missing music.

Just ONE folder, containing over 400 songs (Irish traditional) I rebuilt, reloading disc after disc only to “SYNCH” and find an empty folder on my iPhone - again. This happened several times already with other folders, other music. I had one folder with “Country music” whittled down to just 4 songs once… which, now that I think about it, is really the history of country music right there. Ahem.

So more time spent on the phone with the tech weenies and their conclusion? “Meh. Must’ve been something YOU did.”

The last straw came along about six months ago (last fall?) when all of a sudden album covers got switched around. It’s as if someone broke into my house and spent a day taking LPs and CDs out of their jackets and cases and putting them back randomly.

A recording of Django Reinhardt and Stephan Grapelli now sports the Album cover from Stephen Wilson’s “Home Invasion” or Led Zepplin II depending on the song.  It gets weirder from there.

Backups? I have those. Spent hours and hours on the phone with Apple tech geekazoids whose final judgment was “Meh. Must’ve been something YOU did.”

so I bought an Android phone,am learning how to use Linux on my laptop and will eventually replace the OS on my iMac desktop computer when I’ve got a handle on it and the ONLY thing that’s not really working for me is text messaging with iPhone users. It just doesn’t work. Apple says it’s Verizon, Verizon says it’s Apple, Moto/Android community says Verizon needs to reset something and Verizon tech geekazoids say “Meh. Must’ve been something YOU did.”

This is llke the era of Bell Telephone owning all the telephone lines and politicians so you HAD to buy Bell equipment and pay for THEIR service. Congress eventually waded in and broke that crap up if any of you remember the 1980’s. But here we are in the 21st century (Pedo Joe doesn’t know what day of the week it is much less which century) with monopolistic, in-you-face pi$$-poor customer “service” and anyone else notice Apple no longer uses the motto “It Just Works”?

So I’ve been retired for two years now, and spend more time than I wanted reorganizing my music, learning to use POWERAMP app for play and the best thing is, I’ve got a 1 TB micro SD card in my Moto/Android phone I’ve got all my data backed up on, all my music files, email/etc (and yes, I have online and SS hard drive backups for all that too) and the battery life is measured in DAYS, not HOURS like my last iPhone 13, which I keep around for music streaming as the DAC is pretty good.

There are times I envy the Amish - but even THEY carry cell phones these days. Just not for all the apps.

I’m convinced there is an 8th level of hell just for IT geeks and mechanical engineers where Satan has this written on the walls of their foul, demon-infested sulphurous pits of despair:

View Quote

Got Plex?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:30:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By CyberSlacker:

February 23, 2023
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:43:18 AM EDT
[#29]
I've been using Apple computers since 2002 (after decades of unusable shelfware, obsolete hardware and Windows updates du jour) and bought an iPhone 3 - what was that, 2 or 3 years into the product?

I bought a Motorola Android phone four months ago and won't be going back.

Why?

Really really.  I've spent hours, days, weeks' worth of my time with Apple bar subgeniuses, on the phone with tech services, posted in the Apple online forums and have gotten nowhere resolving issues like:

-ALL my email disappeared about three years ago. Every message gone. Headers/subject lines remained, body of the msgs? Zip, zero, nada. A lot of those were medical records, patient communications. Apple's response? "Meh. Must've been something YOU did."

- My music library, somewhere on the order of several hundred gigabytes, started "losing" songs a few years ago. Copyright issues? Random data loss/bitrot?  Reload the CD, songs are there, another update comes along and *POOF* missing music.

Just ONE folder, containing over 400 songs (Irish traditional) I rebuilt, reloading disc after disc only to "SYNCH" and find an empty folder on my iPhone - again. This happened several times already with other folders, other music. I had one folder with "Country music" whittled down to just 4 songs once  which, now that I think about it, is really the history of country music right there. Ahem.

So more time spent on the phone with the tech weenies and their conclusion? "Meh. Must've been something YOU did."

The last straw came along about six months ago (last fall?) when all of a sudden album covers got switched around. It's as if someone broke into my house and spent a day taking LPs and CDs out of their jackets and cases and putting them back randomly.

A recording of Django Reinhardt and Stephan Grapelli now sports the Album cover from Stephen Wilson's "Home Invasion" or Led Zepplin II depending on the song.  It gets weirder from there.

Backups? I have those. Spent hours and hours on the phone with Apple tech geekazoids whose final judgment was "Meh. Must've been something YOU did."

so I bought an Android phone,am learning how to use Linux on my laptop and will eventually replace the OS on my iMac desktop computer when I've got a handle on it and the ONLY thing that's not really working for me is text messaging with iPhone users. It just doesn't work. Apple says it's Verizon, Verizon says it's Apple, Moto/Android community says Verizon needs to reset something and Verizon tech geekazoids say "Meh. Must've been something YOU did."

This is llke the era of Bell Telephone owning all the telephone lines and politicians so you HAD to buy Bell equipment and pay for THEIR service. Congress eventually waded in and broke that crap up if any of you remember the 1980's. But here we are in the 21st century (Pedo Joe doesn't know what day of the week it is much less which century) with monopolistic, in-you-face pi$$-poor customer "service" and anyone else notice Apple no longer uses the motto "It Just Works"?

So I've been retired for two years now, and spend more time than I wanted reorganizing my music, learning to use POWERAMP app for play and the best thing is, I've got a 1 TB micro SD card in my Moto/Android phone I've got all my data backed up on, all my music files, email/etc (and yes, I have online and SS hard drive backups for all that too) and the battery life is measured in DAYS, not HOURS like my last iPhone 13, which I keep around for music streaming as the DAC is pretty good.

I'm convinced there is an 8th level of hell just for IT geeks and mechanical engineers where Satan has this written on the walls of their foul, demon-infested sulphurous pits of despair:

"Meh. Must've been something YOU did."
View Quote
3 questions:

1) what did you email provider have to say about this?

2) related to the first: what happens when you delete the account and re-add it?

3) you keep your music on an external drive?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:45:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Apple if you like someone deciding for you how your phone works, what it can or cannot run, etc.

Android if you like to configure your purchased hardware to run and do what you want.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:49:19 AM EDT
[#31]
I like my androids because they are simple. Short of accidentally running one over with a tractor I've never broken one. The company I work for uses androids too. We have about 70 work phones at the shop that get abused daily.

I only don't use any special features. Calls, text, email and surf arfcom while on the can 🤣
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:00:25 AM EDT
[#32]
It is a phone.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:18:54 AM EDT
[#33]
3 questions:

2) related to the first: what happens when you delete the account and re-add it?

View All Quotes
I've been using Apple computers since 2002 (after decades of unusable shelfware, obsolete hardware and Windows updates du jour) and bought an iPhone 3 - what was that, 2 or 3 years into the product?

I bought a Motorola Android phone four months ago and won't be going back.

Why?

Really really.  I've spent hours, days, weeks' worth of my time with Apple bar subgeniuses, on the phone with tech services, posted in the Apple online forums and have gotten nowhere resolving issues like:

-ALL my email disappeared about three years ago. Every message gone. Headers/subject lines remained, body of the msgs? Zip, zero, nada. A lot of those were medical records, patient communications. Apple's response? "Meh. Must've been something YOU did."

- My music library, somewhere on the order of several hundred gigabytes, started "losing" songs a few years ago. Copyright issues? Random data loss/bitrot?  Reload the CD, songs are there, another update comes along and *POOF* missing music.

Just ONE folder, containing over 400 songs (Irish traditional) I rebuilt, reloading disc after disc only to "SYNCH" and find an empty folder on my iPhone - again. This happened several times already with other folders, other music. I had one folder with "Country music" whittled down to just 4 songs once  which, now that I think about it, is really the history of country music right there. Ahem.

So more time spent on the phone with the tech weenies and their conclusion? "Meh. Must've been something YOU did."

The last straw came along about six months ago (last fall?) when all of a sudden album covers got switched around. It's as if someone broke into my house and spent a day taking LPs and CDs out of their jackets and cases and putting them back randomly.

A recording of Django Reinhardt and Stephan Grapelli now sports the Album cover from Stephen Wilson's "Home Invasion" or Led Zepplin II depending on the song.  It gets weirder from there.

Backups? I have those. Spent hours and hours on the phone with Apple tech geekazoids whose final judgment was "Meh. Must've been something YOU did."

so I bought an Android phone,am learning how to use Linux on my laptop and will eventually replace the OS on my iMac desktop computer when I've got a handle on it and the ONLY thing that's not really working for me is text messaging with iPhone users. It just doesn't work. Apple says it's Verizon, Verizon says it's Apple, Moto/Android community says Verizon needs to reset something and Verizon tech geekazoids say "Meh. Must've been something YOU did."

This is llke the era of Bell Telephone owning all the telephone lines and politicians so you HAD to buy Bell equipment and pay for THEIR service. Congress eventually waded in and broke that crap up if any of you remember the 1980's. But here we are in the 21st century (Pedo Joe doesn't know what day of the week it is much less which century) with monopolistic, in-you-face pi$$-poor customer "service" and anyone else notice Apple no longer uses the motto "It Just Works"?

So I've been retired for two years now, and spend more time than I wanted reorganizing my music, learning to use POWERAMP app for play and the best thing is, I've got a 1 TB micro SD card in my Moto/Android phone I've got all my data backed up on, all my music files, email/etc (and yes, I have online and SS hard drive backups for all that too) and the battery life is measured in DAYS, not HOURS like my last iPhone 13, which I keep around for music streaming as the DAC is pretty good.

I'm convinced there is an 8th level of hell just for IT geeks and mechanical engineers where Satan has this written on the walls of their foul, demon-infested sulphurous pits of despair:

"Meh. Must've been something YOU did."
3 questions:

1- Email “provider” says it’s not their problem. I use godaddy (bought the URL 20+ years ago, it’s paid 5 years at a time in advance), switched to Outlook two years ago. Mail on the server isn’t a problem (it’s deleted once I download), problem is with Apple’s mail app/program dumping all the message CONTENT, keeping the subject lines only.  Apple’s tech guys called that “a glitch.”

2 - Did that once years ago, basically nuked every single message to that point, like starting with an empty folder.

3- I do now, but I’ve used “iTunes” since the very first, early iPod to handle my music collection.  It’s tedious, but I’m rediscovering stuff I’d forgotten I had during this reconstruction period.

Apple has gotten the last cent I’ll ever spend on them, and I’ve spent a LOT in the last 25 years.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:20:05 AM EDT
[#34]
If there was an update to your iPhone, your wakeup time may have been deleted
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:39:19 AM EDT
[#35]

1- Email "provider" says it's not their problem. I use godaddy (bought the URL 20+ years ago, it's paid 5 years at a time in advance), switched to Outlook two years ago. Mail on the server isn't a problem (it's deleted once I download), problem is with Apple's mail app/program dumping all the message CONTENT, keeping the subject lines only.  Apple's tech guys called that "a glitch."

Sounds like your mail database needs rebuilt- fixable with a click of a button
 not storing your mail on the server IS on you, there is a reason the whole industry moved away from POP
2 - Did that once years ago, basically nuked every single message to that point, like starting with an empty folder.

See above. I've been using that mail app since 1989 and have only had what you're describing happen once and the reason it happened to me isn't something you as a end user would ever see

3- I do now, but I've used "iTunes" since the very first, early iPod to handle my music collection.  It's tedious, but I'm rediscovering stuff I'd forgotten I had during this reconstruction period.

I'd have to see how your set up then. "iTunes" doesn't actually have anything to do with your "Music". If songs are actually disappearing as you say, I'd bet other types of files are too. OR Your moving the music folder

Apple has gotten the last cent I'll ever spend on them, and I've spent a LOT in the last 25 years.

Too bad, I was going to make sure you were in a good place. send me the specs for you setup if you want to sell it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:41:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By ohrings:
If there was an update to your iPhone, your wakeup time may have been deleted
View Quote
No it wouldn't.

it's possible the phone could be doing an update during the alarm wake up time and not run the script, but an update isn't going to delete the setting.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:53:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By JKH62:
Apple if you like someone deciding for you how your phone works, what it can or cannot run, etc.

Android if you like to configure your purchased hardware to run and do what you want.

View Quote

Not an expert by any means but this is my take too. I run an iPhone because I don’t want to think about it.

I designed some apps for my son and put them on cheap android tablet.  I used python (kivy) and getting it on the android was easy peasy.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:55:21 AM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

Lol - I'm not emotionally invested in any phone, damn sure not the one you choose to use.

And yes, I text from my PC every day with Android. And what apps do you think I'm logging into to have integration from PC to phone? It connects automatically and has for years. This isn't new.

Like another poster said, why does everyone need "tech support" for their iPhone? Numerous posts in this thread about being thankful you have tech support and Apple gurus.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:31:56 AM EDT
[#39]

Lol - I'm not emotionally invested in any phone, damn sure not the one you choose to use.

And yes, I text from my PC every day with Android. And what apps do you think I'm logging into to have integration from PC to phone? It connects automatically and has for years. This isn't new.

Like another poster said, why does everyone need "tech support" for their iPhone? Numerous posts in this thread about being thankful you have tech support and Apple gurus.

View Quote

I was given my first iPhone, a 3GS.  I went to the Apple store and paid $99 for them to replace the screen.  Once I swapped the SIM card into the iPhone from my BlackBerry, I noticed that the sound didn't work unless I plugged in headphones.  I took it back to the Apple store and after about 2 hours of troubleshooting they couldn't solve the problem.  They determined that it must have been their fault somehow and gave me a brand new phone.

Every other phone that has broken or failed in some way (Android or otherwise) had to be sent back to the carrier for replacement with a refurbished phone.  The employees at the cell carrier don't know how to fix anything that isn't in the settings menu.

My information may be outdated because I've been using iPhones since 2010.  I've used the Apple Store for problems or repairs several times over the years and have been satisfied every time.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Yikes. Droid phones are still 2-3 years behind Apple in chip development. When I run them hard, they get hot and the battery starts to tank. Think of it like a Trabant trying to maintain highway speeds.

Also, you don’t get the latest version of Android. You’re lucky if the phone manufacturer gives you 2 major updates, and if they do, the version is already a year old:

I made “The Switch” to Apple and never looked back.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:48:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Reason #99 to switch if still not convinced

androids have microSD slot, you can insert up to 1TB microSD card for your storage.

Amazing that iPhone doesn't have it. Preposterous really.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:51:51 AM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

there are all these extended battery phones, 10K, 15K even 22K if you want it. I would never buy one of these 5,000 mAh phones from any brand again.  I get two full days easily. This becomes important if traveling, or camping. When my phone is at 30%, it has more capacity than 100% iPhone.

iPhones have notoriously poor battery life which only gets worse as they age. A Li-IOn batter is not an infinite resource. If you charge it to 100%, you only get 500 charges at full capacity and after that it starts declining rapidly.   Because iPhone is so small capacity wise you have to charge it twice a day really. Or carry one of these external battery things with you.

Oh and to swap the battery  you have to take it Apple or an authorized repair place, not bubba's cell phone repair. Install aftermarket battery, if such a thing even exists, void your warranty.
No MicroSD slot. You got to be kidding me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:56:03 AM EDT
[#43]

Why?

View Quote

Yep. all this.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#44]
My 2 cents as an IT person.  Not an exhaustive list…just a couple main points.

Android:

* Has more flexibility.  You can customize much better and do more things with it.  That said, I doubt most people take advantage of it.
* Can cause problems because inconsistency in the product due to all the different vendors.  Apple owns their software and the hardware exclusively.

iPhone

* If you use a Mac, using an iPhone makes it easy.
* Simplest platform to pick up and start using

I’ve had both over the years as well as extensive use in other system (Blackberry, Palm, etc).  If it were just me, I’d probably use Android as I did “exploit” some of the customization capability.  But, nearly all my family uses iPhones, it’s much easier just to be part of the same ecosystem.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#45]
PEBKAC is a real problem.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#46]
The loss of privacy and security isn't a concern?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:02:02 AM EDT
[#47]

That's true.

Apple is too.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Superluckycat:
Google is evil.  Keep that in mind.

That's true.

Apple is too.

Difficult to tell which company is worse in terms of screwing users up.  However, the iPhone's and iOS designs that block anything outside of the fence, unless the user jailbreak the device makes the iPhone worse.  Android at least lets the user sideload apps and do other stuff iPhones' won't.  

I tried a 3GS and it was the only one, to never go back to Apple.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:06:47 AM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes
The only time my alarm hasn’t worked has been my fault.

I only want to turn my phone on and use it with the least amount of steps possible.

iPhone and Apple does that better than anyone.

Plus I can move from my phone to iPad to Mac work computer to Mac home computer to Mac book completely seamlessly. Plus can text from computer on airplane.

No amount of features would ever make me lose all of that.

Plus I can walk into an Apple store and tell them to fix whatever the issue is and walk out with it fixed.

You could do all of that with Android....10 years ago.

From what I understand it’s not exactly the same. On my Mac it is identical to texting and receiving on my phone. Contacts and history is there automatically
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:10:30 AM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

Because I don’t work at a desk and have other things to do than mess with tech stuff.

If it doesn’t do what I need or want, I want to be able to hand it to someone and tell them to fix it and it get fixed.

But most of the time these are business issues and not just everyday use problems.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:12:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Gilly:

I was given my first iPhone, a 3GS.  I went to the Apple store and paid $99 for them to replace the screen.  Once I swapped the SIM card into the iPhone from my BlackBerry, I noticed that the sound didn't work unless I plugged in headphones.  I took it back to the Apple store and after about 2 hours of troubleshooting they couldn't solve the problem.  They determined that it must have been their fault somehow and gave me a brand new phone.

Every other phone that has broken or failed in some way (Android or otherwise) had to be sent back to the carrier for replacement with a refurbished phone.  The employees at the cell carrier don't know how to fix anything that isn't in the settings menu.

My information may be outdated because I've been using iPhones since 2010.  I've used the Apple Store for problems or repairs several times over the years and have been satisfied every time.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gilly:

Yes. When I first bought a Mac back in 2012 ish, I could go to Apple and do a one one one and get any questions I had answered or training on different functions.

It was awesome not having to waste time trying to figure stuff out on my own. Whatever I needed they handled for me.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top