Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2024 10:31:27 AM EDT
Im thinking about either changing my rest day to a week day and trying Jiu Jitsu classes on my rest day, or just dropping to lifting 5 days a week instead of 6.

Some weeks I have Wednesdays off and some Thursdays.  I never work both.  So I was thinking about going whatever day I am off.  I wish there were places open Sundays.  

Is it a waste of time if I only have 1 day to spare?
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on what you want to achieve.  Still far above doing it no times a week.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I only make it in one day per week as well. Progress is definitely slow , but also definitely still happening. So yes, do it. It’s better than nothing!
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 11:29:57 AM EDT
[#3]
It's exercise and it's fun. Not a waste of time at all.

You would slow down in progress, but absolutely 1 day a week is enough. Early on just get acclimated and learn the rules. Once you understand the routine make small goals for what you want out of each class. Example- focus on single leg takedowns, or open guard. Or just wristlock people like a creep.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 12:55:37 PM EDT
[#4]
For an interesting exercise class, once a week is fine. If you want to learn anything at all, 3x or more is necessary. I’m 2.5 years in now and going an average of 5x a week. I’m just now getting a real understanding of the sport.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 1:29:05 PM EDT
[#5]
How old are you? I started it at 50 years old, and couldn't do it more than 1-2x a week because I needed time to recuperate
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DDiggler:
How old are you? I started it at 50 years old, and couldn't do it more than 1-2x a week because I needed time to recuperate
View Quote

Im 43.  I've been focused on lifting the last 3 years and I just thought maybe its time to add something else.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:01:23 PM EDT
[#7]
6 days of lifting at 43?

Hell, drop it to 3 or 4 days a week and fit in grappling or whatever martial art you want wherever you can.

I would be banged up as hell lifting every day.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Doing anything productive and learning something new is never a waste.

Set a goal for once a week and see how your body responds to it and go from there.

Everything doesn’t have to be about accomplishing a specific goal. It can be “I’m in better shape and want to challenge myself to learn a new physical skill” or “I’m feeling more physically capable and want to spend some time around people who can fight and learn from them”.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:
6 days of lifting at 43?

Hell, drop it to 3 or 4 days a week and fit in grappling or whatever martial art you want wherever you can.

I would be banged up as hell lifting every day.
View Quote

LOL.  I think if I did powerlifting type lifting I would be banged up and my back would not survive.  I focus more on hypertrophy than strength whether im all that successful or not.  Having a strict diet and TRT has helped me tremendously.

I need to get more flexibility that is for sure.  Im going to start focusing on stretching more and talk to a guy I know that rolls when I see him at the gym to see where he goes.  I think my youngest boy would be interested to but I really don't know if there would be classes etc for us the same time of day.  I need to get more information next week.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:
Doing anything productive and learning something new is never a waste.

Set a goal for once a week and see how your body responds to it and go from there.

Everything doesn’t have to be about accomplishing a specific goal. It can be “I’m in better shape and want to challenge myself to learn a new physical skill” or “I’m feeling more physically capable and want to spend some time around people who can fight and learn from them”.
View Quote

Good points.  I am pretty sure I want to try.  I gotta get more info and then make plan when to start.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Definitely try it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:42:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Definitely.  Sunday was my only option so I did one day a week.  The nice thing was my neighbor is all about traditional martial arts and MMA.  He even has trained with Paul Vunak as he was heavy into Bruce Lee and Jeet Kune Do.  When I bought my house in 2003 I had wrestled and boxed, but no martial arts experience.  I was working out on the speed bag in my garage, and he came over.  He said he never seen anyone hit a speed bag like that, so I gave him some pointers.  We became friends quick, and he started showing me stuff.  

He's a little different kind of person but we became friends quick.  One thing we did was practice a move or technique over and over on each other with little to no resistance until we had it down.  Just reps of basic techniques over and over.  We only did no gi stuff.

One day a week and a friend or son to practice techniques with on the side can lead to some decent progress.  

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I've wanted to do boxing for awhile, but I really can't make it work properly. The nearest gym for it would be probably 40 minutes if not farther away, and in the summer I wouldn't be able to recover well enough to make it a regular thing. For years there was a gym not too far away that changed hands several times, but as far as I know it's now closed for good and has been for several years.

One of my friends has been into contact sports since he was a teen and I thought about having him train me a bit maybe once a week. He's proficient in both boxing and BJJ and was a trainer and corner man at the gym he used to go to.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:15:41 AM EDT
[#14]
I've wanted to do boxing for awhile, but I really can't make it work properly. The nearest gym for it would be probably 40 minutes if not farther away, and in the summer I wouldn't be able to recover well enough to make it a regular thing. For years there was a gym not too far away that changed hands several times, but as far as I know it's now closed for good and has been for several years.

One of my friends has been into contact sports since he was a teen and I thought about having him train me a bit maybe once a week. He's proficient in both boxing and BJJ and was a trainer and corner man at the gym he used to go to.
View Quote

I box on my own 1-2 times a week, you can make some good progress on your own with videos and tutorials out there. Now I did start boxing with level II krav maga, boxing is one of the components along with jui jitsu, muy thai and wrestling. I also worked out on-on-one with a coach twice a week before COVID.

But you can definitely progress and improve your technique, footwork (don't forget this), conditioning, etc. A lot of commercial boxing gyms are class focused these days and I'm suspect of the quality of training vs. it being cardio with punching.

I like precision striking on youtube, he has some great videos that are full length workouts and a tutorial program you can buy (I've never tried it). Tony Jeffries has some good videos on youtube as well.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:39:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By SIG_gunner:

I box on my own 1-2 times a week, you can make some good progress on your own with videos and tutorials out there. Now I did start boxing with level II krav maga, boxing is one of the components along with jui jitsu, muy thai and wrestling. I also worked out on-on-one with a coach twice a week before COVID.

But you can definitely progress and improve your technique, footwork (don't forget this), conditioning, etc. A lot of commercial boxing gyms are class focused these days and I'm suspect of the quality of training vs. it being cardio with punching.

I like precision striking on youtube, he has some great videos that are full length workouts and a tutorial program you can buy (I've never tried it). Tony Jeffries has some good videos on youtube as well.
View Quote

Do you just use a heavy bag to train with? Space is a limited but I could probably hang the bag above my workout area. I would just have to take it down when done.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:00:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SG55xdude] [#16]
Im going to call 2 places Wednesday I think.  I am working today and tomorrow 12 hour shifts.  I am working right now I just have a spare moment.

One place is a MMA gym that does a mixture.  I think they mainly teach muay thai but it lists competition training (you don't have to compete) that is a mixture of muay thai, judo, wrestling, jiu jitsu etc.  Then there is a dojo/gym in another area that is strictly jiu jitsu.  I think they teach it more traditional/self defense over the MMA place meaning some stuff probably translates better to self defense than the octagon but I am really not sure.

So I just gotta get more info.  I am not sure he MMA place would be ideal if I am only going once a week but I really don't know maybe it is the best option and maybe I would like it enough to do more.

My youngest boy is in baseball right now and I am going on a family reunion in 2 weeks.  After I get info for both me and my boy I will decide if I am going to start before he is done with baseball or wait because he has practice like every single weekday right now and it keeps me very busy.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By SG55xdude:
Im going to call 2 places Wednesday I think.  I am working today and tomorrow 12 hour shifts.  I am working right now I just have a spare moment.

One place is a MMA gym that does a mixture.  I think they mainly teach muay thai but it lists competition training (you don't have to compete) that is a mixture of muay thai, judo, wrestling, jiu jitsu etc.  Then there is a dojo/gym in another area that is strictly jiu jitsu.  I think they teach it more traditional/self defense over the MMA place meaning some stuff probably translates better to self defense than the octagon but I am really not sure.

So I just gotta get more info.  I am not sure he MMA place would be ideal if I am only going once a week but I really don't know maybe it is the best option and maybe I would like it enough to do more.

My youngest boy is in baseball right now and I am going on a family reunion in 2 weeks.  After I get info for both me and my boy I will decide if I am going to start before he is done with baseball or wait because he has practice like every single weekday right now and it keeps me very busy.
View Quote

I'd prioritize one discipline at a time if all you can do is 1 day a week.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#18]
No, it's not. You'll progress a little slower, but you'll learn and be more capable of defending yourself. There's also less chance of injury when training 1-3 days per week. You can squeeze in extra days when time permits as well.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:05:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By billth777:

I'd prioritize one discipline at a time if all you can do is 1 day a week.
View Quote

That's what I am thinking as well but I am going off of second hand info about the gyms.  I will know more for sure when I call or stop by.  I could be totally wrong about the MMA place they may teach just jiu jitsu etc if that is what I want.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I am interested in the answer to this as well.

When my son is here for summer break I was thinking one day a week at the local MMA place. Purely interested in the self defense aspect.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Do you just use a heavy bag to train with? Space is a limited but I could probably hang the bag above my workout area. I would just have to take it down when done.
View Quote

I have a stand alone heavy bag (I think it's century). All bags have their pros and cons. The stand alone doesn't move (except the base sliding a little) so you can focus on technique, power etc without having to hit a moving target. It's also easy on the hands. Downside is its thick, so punches like hooks and shovel punches don't line up exactly like on a body. Muy Thai bags are good overall- width close enough to body and head, can do round kicks and doesn't move much. I use other gyms with bags that move more to work hitting targets.

I also have a double end bag which is good for developing rhythm and accuracy and endurance drills. I'd like to get a teardrop bag for working on hooks and uppercuts.

Don't overlook shadowboxing. It's great as a warmup, to work technique, integrate footwork and practice specific scenarios. You can also shadowbox a couple rounds as a general warmup before lifting.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:50:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Bottom line if you want to get good at striking you have to spar with good people.  Your sparing partners need to have good technique and be good at what they do, but you also need to trust each other.  A much better person that just comes in and tries to KO you isn't doing you any good.  Someone that uses good technique with good defense and counter punching ability will really make you better.  

Jump rope, double end bag, speed bag, heavy bag, muay thai bag, etc. they all have something to offer to improve you in different ways, but sparing is where it's at.

Also, when I trained golden gloves as a kid and muay thai later we always sparred last.  Spar at your weakest when you are already fatigued.  Everywhere I have trained, we sparred last.  

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:32:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Good sparring partners definitely make a huge difference. Usually a gym with a good atmosphere and camaraderie will try to egos in check to keep training productive.

I've never trained in a gym where competitive fighters trained, mostly sparred with guys my age but who had trained as amateurs since they were kids. They were always great training partners and fought down to my level.

You can still make some progress training on your own on technique and conditioning, but sparring will take way more out of you than any conditioning workout. And your technique will quickly erode and you still have to fight.

One thing I always emphasize is the difference between fighting and self-defense. MMA/Boxing/BJJ/Mu Thai are what you ant to win a fight. But the goal of self defense is to get home alive and that may mean looking for escape opportunities, reacting to ambush attacks.

Any training is better than no training but you should try to best align your limited training time to what you want to be able to do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top