Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2023 8:08:05 PM EDT
I comute to work on a Trek dualsport 2. 14 miles round trip and Iv had two flats in the last 2 weeks first one was an unknonw slow leak that ended up causing a pinch flat killing that tube.  Today on the way home from work I picked up a pice of glass and went from 50psi to 15psi 30 minets later when I got home.  

I am thinking of going tubless but both my rims and tires are not tubless ready so Im starting to look at new wheels and tires.  Looks like $350 to $450 by the time its all said and done so Im just wondering what experance people have had changing over.

Im planing on changing rims as my curnt rims are shreader valves and I dont see many tubless done that way.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 8:20:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I went to tubeless on my Century 4 Carbon before I sold it.

It was fine, but it's not exactly flat proof and you have the ability to roll the tire off the rim if you ride too low of a pressure. You could look at different tires. Schwalbe Marathon Plus or Continental Gatorskins, as examples.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 10:43:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mouthpiece] [#2]
I went to Gatorskins on 1 of my bikes because of so much trash on the roads and in the bike lanes.
Can't you carry a spare and a CO2 and charger?
On the bike I mostly ride to work it has bigger tires and I carry 2 tubes and 3 charges of CO2.
I don't have anyone to come get me or help so it is self reliance and I am riding 17.5 one way(35 round trip)
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 7:01:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a hand pump, spare tube, and 2 co2s.  Its just going to be a long summer at this rate so looking at my options.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 8:43:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rustybob:
I have a hand pump, spare tube, and 2 co2s.  Its just going to be a long summer at this rate so looking at my options.
View Quote

Nothing wrong with tubeless, but may be overkill and not totally solve your issues.ive NEVER heard of a flat with a Marathon Plus. My next door neighbor rides 15k miles a year on the street exclusively (no paths) and he has never had a flat for as long as he can remember since switching.

That's a pretty hefty endorsement so I trust what he says and what the marketers say.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 8:47:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 5:26:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Neither my wife or I have had a flat while running Continental Gatorskins - and I ran over a single edged razor blade that imbedded itself in the tread.  Tire was ruined for use on the road but it didn't flat.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 5:31:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft] [#7]
It's surprising how many "non-tubeless" rims will work fine if you tape them up good and install a tubeless stem.

Also, I use the Stan's Race stuff... "now with twice the nanites!"  I redo mine every spring, ride all season, and the next spring they're still holding air.  That applies to my kids that are in competitive leagues, mine, my wife's bike, etc..  Some of the guys i know that use the cheap brands have to do it 2 or 3 times in a year.

As for stems, I like E13 tubeless stems, just because their cap is an integrated core remover.  But Stan's stems have always worked well for me too.  

Originally Posted By rustybob:
Im planing on changing rims as my curnt rims are shreader valves and I dont see many tubless done that way.
View Quote

Most fat bikes are Schrader, so it's really not a big deal.  Stan's makes Schrader tubeless stems.  If I were in your shoes, I'd measure the inside width of your rim, order some tape, a pair of Schrader tubeless stems, and some Stan's race sealant, and spend an hour on what you have.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 9:10:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll take a look at stans.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 8:00:05 PM EDT
[#9]
My kids race on Scott 970 hard tails, and I set both their bikes up tubeless without much trouble.

Had to bend a few dents out my sons rim (he’s rough on the bike generally).

I used Orange Seal but it’s pricey.  The Stan’s sealant is good I hear.

I just used Gorilla tape.  Supposedly it is heavier than other tubeless rim tapes.  

No regrets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top