Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2024 7:53:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sandbowl1980]
I remember as a kid my dad used these kinds of razors. I also remember watching my dad shave and thinking it was so cool. One day when I was about 15 I got dad's razor and decided I'd try it. I cut the crap out of my self Never used one since. I wish I had my dad's razor from back then

But now that I'm way older and much more of a man. Sarcasm lol I'd like to try this again.

Do they really shave closer than Say a Mach 3 razor

How easy is it to cut yourself with one of the dlb edge safety razors.....compared to the Mach 3 type razors

Is there a learning curve to keep from butchering your face. Just remembering what I did at 15 lol

Can you use any shave foam or gel

I get that it's less expensive.

Last, what razor would be a good starter razor. Plus good blades. I know there are 2 and 3 piece razors are there any real advantages between them.

I've read online reviews but they always seem linked to something that's being sold and do not find their reviews to be reliable.

Wow a lot of forgotten memories of my dad just hit me of watching him shave. Man I miss him

Link Posted: 1/13/2024 8:14:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nvcdl] [#1]
I used double edge safety razors when I started shaving back as a teen in the 70s.  

They are easier to cut yourself but I would not make that a big concern.  

The reason I stopped using them is that the blades began to get expensive and hard to find (this was pre-Amazon).

At one point when I was in the Navy my ships store put the blades on clearance and I managed to pick up several years supply for a few bucks - after these ran out I decided that buying cheap BIC razors made more sense.

Honestly I think BIC razors and generic copies give just as good a shave. The Safety Razors are probably better from a environmental view and it seems like blades are available now on Amazon so go for it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 8:17:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I made the switch probably 10yrs ago now.

I wouldn't call the shave better or worse than the multi blade cartridges.

No, the learning curve is not steep. Find your angle, keep the press light, and rinse often.

I shave with puck soap but have used whatever and it's fine.

Buy good blades. If you have a bad experience, try a different blade.

Link Posted: 1/13/2024 8:18:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out Badger and blade and I recommend trying a Henson. It's a good transition from a cartridge and you can branch out from there.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I tried a cheap and simple model a few years ago but the slight bend on the blade wasn't that consistent across the edges. I get hacked up

Not long ago The Fat Electrician (youtuber) sponsor was a razor company, looked neat.
Look at Henson Shaving's unit. Angle wise I've found it easy to work with, very consistent. Doesn't clog, flip to the other side, and due to the channels to let water in on the bottom it clears out easily and fast.

I like it a lot thusfar. Wasn't a steep learning curve, it's not complicated to work with IMHO

I'd say consider this ^ or a design like it
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 8:26:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kaufdrop:
Check out Badger and blade and I recommend trying a Henson. It's a good transition from a cartridge and you can branch out from there.
View Quote

You beat me to to it by the time I came back and finished my post

Henson's surprised me and I feel like longterm I'm "home", this is how I'll be shaving going forward
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 8:37:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Geralt55:

Henson's surprised me and I feel like longterm I'm "home", this is how I'll be shaving going forward
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Geralt55:
Originally Posted By kaufdrop:

It's a great razor and I've owned and tried a bunch of them. I'll always have a Henson, or six
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 8:51:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I started shaving regular in 1971 with a Gillette Super Speed.  Mostly because I was in basic training and didn't have a choice.  Cut myself up a few times before I figured it out.  Later in life I started using multi-blade plastic razors.

About 6-7 years ago I went back to a double edge razor.  I found a vintage Gillette on eBay that was made on my birth year.  I use that pretty regular and also a more recent manufacture Merkur 23C Long Handle.

Whatever you get I would suggest a knurled handle.  Smooth handle razors can be a pain to hold onto when your hands are wet.  Get a sample pack of blades from Amazon.  My go-to blades are the Personna Blue.

I'm saving a bunch of money by not using those plastic, multi-blade monstrosities.

I usually use shaving soap and a brush.  Sometimes Edge shaving gel if I'm in a hurry.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Started using a safety razor in 2013 as a way to save money.  

I can get a 100ct pack of Dorco or Personna blades for under $20 and they will last me like 3+ years.

My Merkur 34c handle I'll give to my kid someday.  They last forever.  That cost under $50 when I got it IIRC.

They are easy to use.  Just get a tube of Cremo and use minimal pressure while you follow the shape of your face and go with the grain of the hair.  After a week or two you will be just as quick as you were with your old style razor.  

I think they do a much better job than a regular cartridge blade.  I get much less irritation and ingrown hairs.  A blade lasts me a few weeks at least.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 9:41:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sywagon] [#9]
I don't shave all of my face every day, so one of the double or triple edge cartridges will be irreversibly clogged up in a few passes.

A safety razor is easier on your face if you do it right IMO. I don't have a sensitive face, so I don't do a full wet shave prep or anything though. Just out of the shower, a dab of lotion, and done in a few minutes.

The really fancy blades have gotten expensive (Feather and a couple of others) most others will be very very affordable. I don't need Feathers at all to get a great shave.

This was my first as an adult - great starter razor IMO but I now have some much more aggressive open comb styles & a slant.

Edwin Jagger DE89

It is best to pick a blade for the particular razor and your face and no one can tell you what combination would be best. This is a great sampler .

For that kit, start with the Regular Derby Extra and Astra Stainless - definitely get some practice before trying the Feathers. If you find the Feathers are really the ones, try these  as a good alternative for half the price. Use only light pressure (with multiple passes if needed) and you shouldn't cut yourself at all.

If your getting into it and want to make your own lather to do a full proper wet shave look at Mystic Water Soap . You'll need a badger brush and a stand (can't leave it wet unless it is hanging upside down or it will fall apart...) and a cup or bowl of some sort.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 10:43:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MoonDancer] [#10]
Originally Posted By Sandbowl1980:
I remember as a kid my dad used these kinds of razors. I also remember watching my dad shave and thinking it was so cool. One day when I was about 15 I got dad's razor and decided I'd try it. I cut the crap out of my self Never used one since. I wish I had my dad's razor from back then

But now that I'm way older and much more of a man. Sarcasm lol I'd like to try this again.
I've been using a double edge safety razor of one kind or another since '09.

Do they really shave closer than Say a Mach 3 razor
Not in a single pass.  Typically double edge users say tto make three passes: with, across, and against the grain of your hair.  I find that a 3 pass shave is closer than even a double pass shave with a multi-blade razoe.

How easy is it to cut yourself with one of the dlb edge safety razors.....compared to the Mach 3 type razors
After the first couple times, you won't cut yourself much if any.

Is there a learning curve to keep from butchering your face. Just remembering what I did at 15 lol
Not much of one.

Can you use any shave foam or gel
Yes, but I prefer soap and a brush as it's an experience rather than a chore.  I've gravitated from soap pucks to sticks and face lathering.

I get that it's less expensive.

Last, what razor would be a good starter razor. Plus good blades. I know there are 2 and 3 piece razors are there any real advantages between them.
This is where it gets difficult as razors are really a personal thing... what's a great razor for me may be the shits for you.  I prefer antique Gillette razors and have somewhere around 15 of 'em.  Having said that, I started with a Merkur 34C but haven't used that in probably 12 years now.  I bought and still regularly use a Merkur 37C Heavy Duty Slant  but I have pretty heavy beard and only shave about once a week now that I'm retired.  My all time favorite razor is a Gillette Ball End Tech made in '45 IIRC.

I've read online reviews but they always seem linked to something that's being sold and do not find their reviews to be reliable.
BadgerandBlade.com  is the arfcom of shaving.

Wow a lot of forgotten memories of my dad just hit me of watching him shave. Man I miss him

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/13/2024 10:50:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 11:14:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Maddy21] [#12]
I highly recommend it. I have been wetshaving for several years now, and have never had a closer more comfortable shave. It’s also a cool hobby you can go down the rabbit hole with.

Check out https://maggardrazors.com/ they have great service and carry a large selection. Look at their samples section when looking at soaps and creams.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 2:37:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I get a better shave with no irritation from a double edge. Requires a little learning but once you figure it out it’s easy. Very cheap shaves if you want it to be, but it can lead you down a rabbit hole of endlessly acquiring new shave gear, soaps, aftershaves etc
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:37:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FluffyTheCat] [#14]
There are different types of safety razors and some are not for beginners. As a beginner you need a mild razor.

One of my first razors was a Merkur 34C. This is a very high quality German razor and it is very mild. With a Merkur 34C, you will not have to worry about cutting yourself and with it you can gain experience using a safety razor.

I have two Merkur 34s, a 34C and a 34G and I have never cut myself with either of them.

Or you might also want to get a Razorock Gamechanger with a 0.68mm baseplate.  The Razorock Gamechanger is a very high quality stainless steel razor made in Canada. You can get different baseplates for the Gamechanger and the 0.68mm baseplate is very mild and safe for a beginner.

There are other baseplates for the Gamechanger and the 0.84mm and 1.05mm baseplates are not for beginners. Without the necessary experience, you will cut yourself with these.

For blades I like Feather, Personna and Wilkinson Sword. Do not be afraid of sharp blades like the Feather. Sharp is good and a sharp blade will shave efficiently. A Feather blade in a Merkur34C would be a good place to start.

I like shaving cream that comes in a tube. You can find Nivea shaving cream in a tube at Walmart. Or you can buy Proraso or Omega shaving cream online.

I use a cheap $8 synthetic Wilkinson Sword brush that I bought at Walmart. It works well and that's what you should try first.

You can mix up your shaving lather using an old bowl or coffee cup.

For aftershave, try some Nivea aftershave balm. This stuff works well and it is cheap and available at Walmart
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 12:24:46 AM EDT
[#15]
I’m actually trying SE safety razor next week.  

Warm your face first, but once shaving, use cold water.  When done, rinse your face in cold water.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 3:43:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HourOfAngle] [#16]
I mix and lather my soap in a collapsible dog bowl with the ridges in it that keeps your dog from eating so fat. Got it from Stirling shave soap company. $6 and collapses flat when not in use.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#17]
some good advice above.  lather well, use the weight of the razor.  do not press as hard as you would with a mach4 type razor.

taylor of old bond is my favorite creams and they have a good array of scents.  A tub lasts forever.  I use proraso as well. Just pick what scent you like.

I use personna blades, but start with a sample to find what you like maybe:  Razor Blade Samples

The razor is a Muhle R89, I have this set.

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:48:29 PM EDT
[#18]
OP, I made the switch to DE razors about 5 years ago.  I have two razors, a 1960s vintage Gillette and a 1938 Gillette.  I get a better shave with the 1960s razor.

What I've learned is that shaving is really a lot art form.  We men have lost a lot of skill because of disposable razors and multi-blade whatzit razors.  There's a lot of experimentation in using a DE razor.  What works for me may not work for you, and vice versa.  Don't be afraid to try new blades, razors and shaving soaps to find a combination that works best for you.  What works best for me is my 1960s vintage Gillette, a generic shaving soap and Wilkinson-Sword blades.  Again, that works best for me.

I find that I get a much better shave with a DE razor than I did with any of the Gillette Mach series.  Also, since I was a teenager I was troubled by ingrown hairs on my face and neck.  Since shaving with a DE razor, ingrown hairs are rare.  

I usually do two passes, the first with the grain and the second against the grain.  Also, don't press too hard with the razor, or you'll get a bad razor burn.

I do cut myself from time to time, but I did that with modern razors!

I also find that a shaving soap works best for me and gives me the best shave.  I will follow up with Witch Hazel used as an after shave.

Give it a try.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top