BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think I’d be moar stressed going from $140k down to $60k.

Ever thought about learning how to do your job your responsible for instead of just throwing in the towel?
View Quote

This is my thought. I’d kill for an opportunity to grow into a role i wasn’t 100% qualified for. Especially if it paid more than double what I was worth when I started it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:19:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Business degree/MBA here. Rather Sr. In my business…

What are your strengths in your role? What do you enjoy most about it? Have you had a discussion with your boss on what they want you to focus on and how you should prioritize deliverables?

How about your people? What are their strengths? Have you asked them what they need to be successful? Are you doing everything you can to ensure their success?

I lead a team of VPs and I don’t expect or want them to be good at the same things but I absolutely expect they help each other succeed. And Their overall success is my number one focus. They look good, I look good. They are happy, I am happy.

Lastly, what boundaries do you set for yourself? How do you leave work at work? What hobbies do you have that help mind and body be resilient?

Your boss believes in you, go deliver.
View Quote

I want to work with this guy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:00:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm going against the grain.  You are paid that for a reason, look at other ways to manage the stress.  I realized a bit back I will never be put on a "green" project.  My skillset and experience means I'm one of the best they have to "firefight".  I've come to terms I will be put on "red" projects the rest of my career.  That was a huge problem until I got serious about my health and stress management.
View Quote

Exactly this.  I didn't know the details, but expect you are being too hard on yourself.

I manage multi-discipline engineering and construction teams.  There is absolutely no way I can be an expert on everything.  I do not try to fake it.  We hired experts on the team for a reason and I let them do their jobs with minimal "management."  I ask that they keep me informed and let me know if they need help or assistance.  I publicize their accomplishments, look out for their interests, help then advance their careers, and shoulder any blame that comes along myself.  We have relationships of mutual respect.

Contrary to the simplistic view that many here on Arfcom have, a good manager does not have to have all skills of the people he manages.  In a large organization that is literally impossible.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top