Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/24/2024 1:23:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:26:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Beretta_Jerry] [#1]
Didn't have enough bribe money or refused to accept their request for a bribe.

Eta: not denying shithole status
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:30:27 AM EDT
[#2]
These types of countries? Fucking states in OUR OWN COUNTRY will fuck you over if they find ammo.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:31:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:40:04 AM EDT
[#4]
When I was doing a lot of traveling I had dedicated traveling bags- my old North Face Base Camp duffels and messenger bags and two carry on sized day packs (a Kelty Redwing and a Chinese Arc'teryx knockoff) are never used to carry hunting/gun stuff.  Why?  Because I know that I do not want to risk ending up in a foreign jail or even being stopped and questioned if whatever system they have in place "detects" anything of interest.  No interest in new TNF DIE approved gear but those old bags (I've got three different sizes plus two different sized messenger bags) have been through hell and they've all held up great.

I absolutely love travel, including to out of the way backwater countries, but you have to use a bit of sense.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:18:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FloydGeneBallin:
These types of countries? Fucking states in OUR OWN COUNTRY will fuck you over if they find ammo.
View Quote

"Basketball player nods" meme here.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:28:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Beretta_Jerry:

Eta: not denying shithole status
View Quote

Bribes were a way of life in West Africa.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:36:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I've done enough traveling around the world to know that the most beautiful places are right here in the US.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:42:03 AM EDT
[#8]
sheeeeeeit

try new jersey
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:42:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VaniB] [#9]
He's an idiot. Probably would also leave his pistol on the toilet tank in a public bathroom.

Yea, who the hell wants to go to a country with pretty beaches full of 3rd world ghetto people when there's safer places to go? But either way, only an ignoramus has never heard about the serious penalties for arms related items brought to these places. I have little compassion for people that are so scatterbrained.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:01:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm sure Amnesty International will be all over this one.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:06:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: juslearnin] [#11]
One of the scariest moments of my life was when they found about 10 .22 shells in the pocket of my jacket at the airport in Port au Prince Haiti. I had gone through security twice in the United States and they had not been found. On the way out of Haiti, they found them.

When I left the United States, I had worked an overnight shift, went home, grabbed all my stuff and headed straight to the airport. It did not even occur to me that there might be some 22 shell in my jacket pocket.

I was suddenly surrounded by security, my passport was taken away and for 30 minutes I thought I was going to jail in Haiti.  I have never prayed so hard in my life.

The friend I was traveling with who spoke Creole was able to convince them that I was “a hunter“ and that was an accident. They gave me back my passport and away I went.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:14:33 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:29:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:37:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I found several. 223 cases in my carry on bag after the bag had been scanned on departure and scanned on arrival in Marakesh.

Cases were dumped in a public litter bin in the city.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:41:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like we need some no-travel advisories and to cut off aid to them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:42:37 AM EDT
[#16]
DON’T EVER TAKE YOUR RANGE BAG ANYWHERE BUT THE RANGE!!!!!

A friend I flew with was a reserve deputy on his days off and a Federal Flight Deck Officer.

He did a Mexico City trip and they found a couple 10mm rounds in his backpack. He ALMOST ended up in prison—had he not been a FFDO he would have.

Dumb mistake.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:44:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: runcible] [#17]
Originally Posted By Beretta_Jerry:
View Quote
My first thought was, Should have just given them the liquor, Penthouse, cigarettes, and cash.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:48:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By VaniB:
? But either way, only an ignoramus has never heard about the serious penalties for arms related items brought to these places. I have little compassion for people that are so scatterbrained.
View Quote
You do realize that there is a decent percentage of gun owners that actually don't k ow of these types of events.   They should know but your guy that shoots his hunting rifle once to check zero and once to kill a deer likely isn't here getting the scoop on those incarcerated for loose ammo in a travel bag.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:53:07 AM EDT
[#19]
There are very few places I would like to see in this world outside the U.S. but you have to be smart/conscientious about what you have in your bags/person when traveling outside our borders. It's bad enough we have states that will prosecute you for something similar. Many people don't realize how much other countries/people don't like us and their rules are not ours. Some will seek out an American to prosecute just to say they have.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:01:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AbleArcher] [#20]
The long house had a really good podcast with a guy who did hard labor there for bringing a glock mag into the country.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:02:23 AM EDT
[#21]
The reason you don't go to those countries is they have effective laws that they're willing to enforce.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:07:41 AM EDT
[#22]
I went from Alaska to Perth Australia with a small camo camelbac backpack.

I found a .44 mag shell in Perth, made it through 4 security check points.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:10:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Paul:
The reason you don't go to those countries is they have effective laws that they're willing to enforce.
View Quote

Nah, they're pretty shitty too.  Just my own experience.  

Not saying there aren't crappy places in the US.  The big difference is...mainland vs. island.  Maybe a mental state for me and knowing a bunch of people who lived/worked on the islands.  What a freaking weird situation of human trafficking, money laundering, and ripping everyone off.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:19:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By bodybagger:
Plain and simple. If you can't carry a gun and ammo there, it's a shithole country.
View Quote

Freedom shit hole.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:23:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By AA717driver:
DON’T EVER TAKE YOUR RANGE BAG ANYWHERE BUT THE RANGE!!!!!

A friend I flew with was a reserve deputy on his days off and a Federal Flight Deck Officer.

He did a Mexico City trip and they found a couple 10mm rounds in his backpack. He ALMOST ended up in prison—had he not been a FFDO he would have.

Dumb mistake.
View Quote

This. It's really not a difficult concept

Buy a 2nd bag
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:25:07 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote
Yup
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:31:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bollocks44] [#27]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:33:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hunduh] [#28]
View Quote

Yeah they are really going to show that criminal that they mean business.  Put that bad guy in jail and throw away the key.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:38:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bollocks44] [#29]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:39:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Crazyascanbe] [#30]
Originally Posted By Hunduh:
View Quote

Yeah they are really going to show that criminal that they mean business.  Put that bad guy in jail and throw away the key.
View Quote

It made me buy different bags for different things so it is working for them

People are to cheap to buy just travel bags.

Cost the man 12 years of his life for being cheap.

For all the people that will read my post

Buy different bags and dedicate them for one thing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:42:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Stupid hurts... Their country, their laws.

We should start enforcing our laws. The USA would be a better place.

Accountant
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:49:39 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

What a novel concept.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:53:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By wgjhsafT:

Nah, they're pretty shitty too.  Just my own experience.  

Not saying there aren't crappy places in the US.  The big difference is...mainland vs. island.  Maybe a mental state for me and knowing a bunch of people who lived/worked on the islands.  What a freaking weird situation of human trafficking, money laundering, and ripping everyone off.

View Quote

We sailed around the BVI for a bit last month, flew in/out of St Thomas.

Jesus.  Every fucking time I turned around someone was trying to shake me down for money.  It’s really off-putting.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:54:23 AM EDT
[#34]
That is why these types of countries should be bombed and then made into the American islands. We’re a first world super power, we should act like it.

It’s against our best interest to have retards living so close to our nation’s borders.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:56:30 AM EDT
[#35]
This is part of the reason I own so many bags/packs. I usually buy a new one for air travel, it gets used to take ammo or something to the range, I get nervous, buy a new bag for the next time I fly. Nothing that has held magazines, ammo, or even targets gets used to travel. I see it as cheap insurance and I’m never lacking a bag.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:57:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Yeah, I've never understood people who use bags for hunting / range duty and for vacations. You have separate stuff for a reason.

Also check your bags before you pack them

And yes the sentence is absolutely ridiculous.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:03:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Glocked:
That is why these types of countries should be bombed and then made into the American islands. We’re a first world super power, we should act like it.

It’s against our best interest to have retards living so close to our nation’s borders.
View Quote

Turks and Caicos is British, so I imagine they’d get their crumpets in a twist if we bombed it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:07:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Plain and simple. If you can't carry a gun and ammo there, it's a shithole country. I don't care how pretty the beach is or how nice the hotel is.
View Quote
Try explaining this to most women.  Don't choose poorly.

Ditto about the shithole states comment.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:08:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Glocked] [#39]
Originally Posted By Ege:

Turks and Caicos is British, so I imagine they’d get their crumpets in a twist if we bombed it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ege:

Wouldn’t be the first time. What is that progressive country going to do, will the British hate us more?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:14:48 AM EDT
[#40]
As opposed to all the States you can fly to with ammo in your carry on?

The dude was a moron.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:15:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By dogsplat:

sheeeeeeit

try new jersey
View Quote

No thanks.

I flew to PA last year for a wildlife capture CE, had my 1911 and a backup with extra magazines for both in my checked bags.  Flight was supposed to land in Newark for a 30 minute delay, then on to PA.  Once on the ground in Newark, they said we had to disembark and claim our luggage, then transfer to another plane.  I declined to claim my bag.  They got nasty about it, but I told them I had checked it through to PA and that's where they could deliver it.  Period.  LOts of arguing later, I got on the plane and departed.  My bag was on the carousel when I arrived in PA.

I have no way of knowing for sure, but my guess is I would have been arrested for illegal firearms had I claimed possession of my guns in NJ that day.  Something seemed mighty weird about the encounter.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:27:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By M4A1:  I've done enough traveling around the world to know that the most beautiful places are right here in the US.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:32:49 AM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

If we must be an Empire, then do Empire things.  Have "American citizen" = "Roman citizen" , circa 50 AD.   Not this weird amalgam of the worst of both.

I've had to pick brass out of bags and, occasionally, my car before. (Range bag is open, brass bounces into it.  Put bag in car, bag tips over, brass falls out.  Worse than those "stickers" plant seeds that get on your clothes hiking....)
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:32:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Paul:  The reason you don't go to those countries is they have effective laws that they're willing to enforce.
View Quote
US states have effective laws that they are willing to enforce , also.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:33:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Wow, that is a hard lesson to learn.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:36:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Something like this could put quite the damper on those vacay photo's she was going to upload to her fb profile
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:42:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: miseses] [#47]
Once you get past the border of most these countries there's virtually no controls.  I only bring passport, cash, clothes, and maybe camping gear through borders.  If you need anything else go into market and buy it, you can buy literally ANYTHING in most of the 3rd world markets, especially latam / Caribbean / middle east.  Dump it all, including and especially your cell phone and electronics, before exiting.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:42:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bollocks44] [#48]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#49]
She can get out for the right price.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:50:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Ambridge77:

Bribes were are a way of life in West Africa.

View Quote

Fixed
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top