Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2024 3:31:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ptaylor]
N252DL C-310R Poolville TX 14 Jan 2024

I ran into this Doctor and his sons quite often at the Carrizo Airport over the last 3 years.

This past Sunday he took off about an 1hr after me. Both of us headed home.

My descent into Austin was icy, sounds like the same happened to him.

Laid awake for hours last night thinking about this.

So sad.

Pics after I landed.

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#1]
That's terrible, OP. I'm going to monitor this story and see what the NTSB comes up with. May they RIP.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:59:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Someone here gave me a piece of advice in a thread -- it might have been esa17: "don't ever get complacent with ice." It's insensitive to bring it up here, but also very much appropriate to say it in context.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 1:29:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't mess with ice. Scary stuff.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 1:57:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#5]
In NM there's a place between Albuqeurque and Tucumcari, called "Clines Corners". Something about the terrain and winds makes it an ice box. Every other winter someone flies into it and crashes. NM DOT even installed a free-standing (no airport) AWOS station there.

Texans are less complacent about ice because of higher humidity but they can get caught in ice too.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 7:17:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#8]
 I shoot just outside Poolville.  It's a Volley Dept, a gas station/lunch counter & a church, for the most part.

Yep.  About a mile from the range.

@naes

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:47:29 PM EDT
[#9]
The icing is one factor, but the dr. was also flying too much airplane.
Don’t get into icing, but if you do, and can’t get out of it;
Airplanes will fly with a lot of ice on them, as long as you keep the speeds a lot faster than normal.   Fly normal IFR procedures, and use whatever power is necessary till touchdown.  It wouldn’t hurt to get some techniques and advice from freight dogs flying light recip twins up North.  There are people that do it every day.(glad I’m not one of them).
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 10:20:03 AM EDT
[#10]
watching that video raised a big flag for me right away.   Icing to 20k feet, as well as pireps of rime icing.  

As a non-professional pilot, I'm out, I'm renting a car.  Ice is bad news for light GA aircraft, even with deice/anti ice.  

It was an interesting video, steady decent right into the ground.  Wonder if ice had anything to do with it at all?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top