Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2024 4:49:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EvoXGunner]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Mechanically it isn't bad, just need a new front arm and bumper stay. It's the body being annihilated that sours me.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 5:53:53 PM EDT
[#1]
It gives it character.  Put some tiny strips of duct tape on it for an authentic on-track repair appearance.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, pretty accurate for a Mustang.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to bash with cracked or clear (with decals) lexan bodies.

Store/display with the pretty painted ones.

In the off chance I actually painted a body well?  That joker was going on the bench indefinitely.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 6:03:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 9:31:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#7]
What the hell did you do? Let Danica drive it?
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been known to carry away pieces myself

Link Posted: 1/2/2024 9:45:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft] [#9]
That's exactly why I got out of RC racing.

Every single race, you break something, wear something out, or need to upgrade something to be competitive.  And practicing does it too.  It turns into just a way to burn $100 bills at an astounding rate.

Originally Posted By AJE:
My dad would leave the house with a functional airplane and return with a box full of broken balsa wood parts.   I think he'd agree with you.
View Quote

Some of the guys at the park near me fly styrofoam planes.  I've watched them crash and break them, walk over to their truck, pull out a sheet of styrofoam, and start cutting... 15 minutes later, their plane is fixed and they're flying again.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:16:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TREETOP:
How many little RC sized people did you hit, leaving the RC car meet?
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:35:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By osprey21:
Then by all means.. don't get into RC helicopters.

View Quote

Too late

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 11:15:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I had $1500 in my HPI RS4 proII. Aluminum, carbon fiber, radials...blew and old school slick and hit a curb. Broke the carbon fiber bulkhead, changed to aluminum..
I spent a lot of money back then on my hobby. Finally said screw it and just got back into real cars over $6k in parts later...now I need wheels and some good rubber. Spinning the first 3 gears and still 7.8 sec to 120mph....the circle is the same.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 5:59:43 PM EDT
[#13]
It is unfortunate. But you build it again, and go back out there and race or fly again.

I broke my FunCub on Monday. I'll get the foam glued together again.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 6:08:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I mean, then stop hitting things xD
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 2:43:16 AM EDT
[#15]
You could install a foam bumper. Had one on my TC3 years ago and helped the life of the body.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 7:03:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By osprey21:
Then by all means.. don't get into RC helicopters.

View Quote

I only crashed a heli once in 200+ flights.

Did a 3D backflip. Got cocky on the second one and got a little close to the neighbors house when the wind gusted. I ditched it in the yard to prevent hitting their house or car.

Main blades and a tail gear. No biggie. I got lucky, an I understand why they say 450 size is an ideal balance on cost and difficulty.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By NoEffects6:
You could install a foam bumper. Had one on my TC3 years ago and helped the life of the body.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/349278/IMG_0317_jpeg-3081350.JPG
View Quote

I had a factory team TC3 with a brushless setup. It was the shit in 2002. I know brushless is super common today, but 20 years ago it was probably 0.1% of the electric RC world, if that. The motor was over $400...when you saw a purple Lehner...instant respect.

70 mph on 7 cells. Was a fun car. Ate through foamies.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 7:50:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I drive like shit so I consider the breakage all part of the hobby.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 8:17:20 PM EDT
[#19]
The main reason I stopped racing FPV drones. It's a vicous cycle: build, fly, crash, and repeat.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 8:22:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Tamiami Park?   Miami FL,   Had some 24 hour RC racing I was able to hang out at with dad and some friendly teams.

Built a couple cars with big Futaba? Controllers….  Fun.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 4:25:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:
Some of the guys at the park near me fly styrofoam planes.  I've watched them crash and break them, walk over to their truck, pull out a sheet of styrofoam, and start cutting... 15 minutes later, their plane is fixed and they're flying again.
View Quote

Heh, we do that. Except we fly combat so we're crashing into each other intentionally, doing repairs, and hitting each other again

It's hilariously fun.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 5:36:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Use some duct tape inside the wrecked body and use it for racing and the pretty body for the shelf.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 6:06:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: vicrattlehead] [#23]

A few years ago I hit a hidden piece of re-bar sticking out of the dirt about 3".  ~45mph on 3S LiPo.  There was shock fluid everywhere inside the truck.  I couldn't believe how the wheel and a-arm assembly folded up under the body like that.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 6:09:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By vicrattlehead:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/52641/IMG_0354-2962925.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/52641/DSC_6210-2962926.jpg

A few years ago I hit a hidden piece of re-bar sticking out of the dirt about 3".  ~45mph on 3S LiPo.  There was shock fluid everywhere inside the truck.  I couldn't believe how the wheel and a-arm assembly folded up under the body like that.
View Quote

Dang. I smacked a sewer grate going 50mph the other day and didn't break a thing.

Crazy how sometimes things get tore up and other times they seem invincible.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 6:40:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Every single race, you break something, wear something out, or need to upgrade something to be competitive.  And practicing does it too.  It turns into just a way to burn $100 bills at an astounding rate.

View Quote

Expanded polypropylene (EPP) for the win.

Zagi started the trend, flying wings that just bounce off the ground and come back for more.

Zagi style:

Conventional EPP trainer:

Link Posted: 2/7/2024 12:19:06 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

When I got out of racing the 1/8 IGT onroads and 1/8 truggy offroad it was $100 for a set of tires, wheels and foams. The onroad car would eat 2 between the heats and the main and be squirrely near the end of the main. The offroad foams would break down/apart before the tires wore out and we'd get maybe 2 race days on them.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 1:32:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Always good to have a basher body and a display body.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:14:39 PM EDT
[#28]
I started with a 1/10 scale nitro back in 97, amazing how speed can obliterate these things.
Back then i kept every receipt.
One day i added it up once i had upgraded pretty much every thing.
$1700!!!

It still has the original body on it, staples to keep it together.

My current beater is a 1/5 gas rc buggy.

One day i slid into the driveway with it and slapped one of those big city garbage cans with the hinged lid.
Tossed it across the yard a solid 10/15ft!

Later i hit a metal fire pit made from a 55 gallon drum.
Ripped that pit out of the dirt, pushed it a few feet, and the aluminum frame on the rc bent and later fully cracked in half

Driving it around dragging the middle on the ground.

Fun stuff.

Thing that really bugs me is when i damage engine and exhaust components.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:31:08 AM EDT
[#29]
I have airplanes, boats, helis and drones.

I have spent more time repairing cars than all the others combined.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:14:34 AM EDT
[#30]
24 hour racing in Miami,. Tamiami Park,. Really cool to see as a kid.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:17:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Every time this thread pops back up, I want to go get a couple 1/8 scale vehicles.

I've done small/mid/large CP helis.  Nobody to fly with around here anymore.

I used to race 1/10 scale as a teenager.  Still got the RC10T truck; the Losi buggy long gone.  All brushed motors with stick packs .

I used to love my 4wd 1/8 nitro buggy.  I do NOT need to spend money right now.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:47:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Man, teaching my kid to drive was a chore!
Any time I thought he had it down, he'd wreck something.
I'd swap him over to another rig while fixing the first and he'd wreck that one, too!  lol

Now he's got his slash and a few slow crawlers.
The slash is FAST, but parts are cheap.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:39:31 PM EDT
[#33]
I dont like painting but since pretty much all I do is rock crawling, bodies can last a good while.  Now shocks are my least favorite thing to mess with.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Col_Sanders:
I dont like painting but since pretty much all I do is rock crawling, bodies can last a good while.  Now shocks are my least favorite thing to mess with.
View Quote

I'm with ya... paint and shocks are my two least favorite things to deal with.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:34:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:43:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Mudpie1313:
I had $1500 in my HPI RS4 proII. Aluminum, carbon fiber, radials...blew and old school slick and hit a curb. Broke the carbon fiber bulkhead, changed to aluminum..
I spent a lot of money back then on my hobby. Finally said screw it and just got back into real cars over $6k in parts later...now I need wheels and some good rubber. Spinning the first 3 gears and still 7.8 sec to 120mph....the circle is the same.
View Quote

The rule of "F's": if it floats, flies, fires, f#cks, or goes fast, its gonna get expensive. I really wish I would've just taken up bird watching or knitting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top