Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/7/2023 2:14:18 PM EDT
All i hear concerning this is that eventually "we will be out of a job."

I really can't see it advance (fast enough) in my lifetime to be a threat to my career as a driver.

How about you ?
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not worried

Link Posted: 5/7/2023 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Not worried, not one little bit.

Link Posted: 5/7/2023 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the tech is closer than many realize but the regulatory hurdles are the real wild card. For specialty loads I doubt it will be a thing.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 3:42:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bigcraig:
Not worried, not one little bit.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77315/20180906_115313_resized-2809024.jpg
View Quote
Outside of a couple of very limited applications I just can't see it working. You still have to have a trained monkey in the cab ready to take over the AI decides to flake out, we are a very long ways out from a 100% Autonomous
truck being able to be turned loose on our highways in mass quantities. When you look at specialty trucking, a human driver is not going away in our lifetime.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 3:52:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
I think the tech is closer than many realize but the regulatory hurdles are the real wild card. For specialty loads I doubt it will be a thing.
View Quote
The tech is already out there for self flying planes (which is much easier to do than self driving trucks) but I doubt you'll see 500 people rushing to fly on a 100% autonomous A380 anytime soon.

Link Posted: 5/7/2023 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Seabee_Mech:
Outside of a couple of very limited applications I just can't see it working. You still have to have a trained monkey in the cab ready to take over the AI decides to flake out, we are a very long ways out from a 100% Autonomous
truck being able to be turned loose on our highways in mass quantities. When you look at specialty trucking, a human driver is not going away in our lifetime.
View Quote

I think it would be fairly easy to do for a lot of routes. The self drive stuff is getting pretty advanced and I'd guess that a highway route could be handled. I was actually thinking about this stuff a while ago. The more regs they force on the drivers like max hours etc the more viable it becomes to have unmanned trucks they can run at crappy hours non stop with the exception of fueling.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 4:18:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: barbcue] [#7]
To me it isnt so much the trucks that are not ready to go etc,,, so much as it is the places/enviroments that they will be working in.. Like mills ,lumber yards, ports, etc.

Wont those places have to be set up to deal with those types of trucks ?..

Because most all of them are old and alot of them are poorly designed even for trucks driven by humans.

im not the sharpest Pencil in the classroom but:

Wont those old places (and even more modern ones) have to be completely revamped to deal with self driving trucks logistically speaking- so they are quick and efficient in and out of those areas without running into shit or getting confused since there is alot of movement going on in most yards of any kind that ive seen ?  

That sounds EXPENSIVE and TIME CONSUMING..

I guess what im trying to say is: So while the trucks may be ready, the places/enviroments they would need to be able to work in to be a serious problem for us getting replaced by one  - ARE NOT ?
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 4:23:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I’m sure some are more difficult than others. It’s one of those situations where the demands will drive the changes. It wouldn’t be hard to have a person at the site that could unhook or unload the trucks.

Link Posted: 5/7/2023 4:28:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

Not skeered.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By barbcue:
To me it isnt so much the trucks that are not ready to go etc,,, so much as it is the places/enviroments that they will be working in.. Like mills ,lumber yards, ports, etc.

Because most all of them are old and alot of them are poorly designed even for trucks driven by humans.

Wont those old places (and even more modern ones) have to be completely revamped to deal with self driving trucks logistically speaking- so they are quick and efficient in and out of those areas without running into shit or getting confused since there is alot of movement going on in most yards of any kind that ive seen ?  

I guess what im trying to say is: So while the trucks may be ready, the places/enviroments they would need to be able to work in to be a serious problem for us getting replaced by one  - ARE NOT ?
View Quote
You're correct, the technology is only one hurdle, the infrastructure is the bigger and more expensive one.

Imagine a self driving truck trying to get into Hunts Point Produce Market
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 11:30:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Didn’t used to be too concerned.  

I’ve been applying for jobs recently, and not getting anywhere.     Let’s say that my level of cockiness about my ‘expert’ capabilities has taken a bit of a fall as a result.  

I don’t know whether or not these are ready for the task or not, but automation of many things seems to be around the corner.  

Simply put, I fully expect autonomous commercial vehicles to be utilized as soon as possible, along longer hauls or between terminals.    Then day cabs with a human driver for local deliveries.  

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 7:54:35 AM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

Yeah, all of this. I don't see it really working for flatbed/specialized in the near term. Most of the time I don't even get loaded or unloaded in the same spots at the same shippers and consignees. It's not like "Oh hey, back up to Dock 8 and wait," it's more like "go around this shit and park over here, or alongside that, or wait by the curb."
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:24:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I could see driverless trucks working in a linehaul capacity for LTL carriers. That's basically load at one company facility, drive on a more-or-less fixed route to another company facility. Rinse and repeat.

I can't imagine them working well for something like P&D where the driver needs to load/unload at multiple stops with diverse locations/conditions.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 4:48:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm not scared. Those $1 a mile UPS linehaul drivers should be though.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 5:25:22 PM EDT
[#15]

I really can't see it advance (fast enough) in my lifetime to be a threat to my career as a driver.

How about you ?
View Quote

Dock bangers might be worried in 20 years...but by then all the old guys will be retired and you hardly ever see drivers under 30.

Specialized guys..no worries.

Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:36:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By OverScoped:

Dock bangers might be worried in 20 years...but by then all the old guys will be retired and you hardly ever see drivers under 30.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

How about you ?

Despite my wealth of experience I’m a young driver so it’s something that could be a problem for me in the future.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By TheWhitePill:

Despite my wealth of experience I'm a young driver so it's something that could be a problem for me in the future.
View All Quotes

How about you ?

Despite my wealth of experience I'm a young driver so it's something that could be a problem for me in the future.

Haul fuel or oversize or hot loads.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

How about you ?

Yep, specialize in a form of trucking that the robots can't do in your lifetime.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 12:14:18 AM EDT
[#19]
So, could it happen in full truck load, dedicated route? Yes.

Fleet wise, drivers are the largest cost to trucking.

Speciality hauling? Won’t happen in my life time.  Maybe in 30 years. I’ll never say never.  But the infrastructure just isn’t there for it. Infrastructure isn’t standardized for non standard loads.

It’s also doubtful for anything placard.

But hauling a truck load of toilet paper from the manufacturer to a distribution center? Yeah probably 10 years out with the regulatory hurdles.

The actual technology is only a few years away.  Automation is already taking the mining industry over.  Off road it’s happening. One operator can now control over 8 machines at once remotely.  If you’re loading out a 797 with a mining shovel remotely, you can do that, as the trucks cycle.  Tab out to another machine. Load another truck. Or run a clean up dozer. Or run a front end loader to fill a crusher.  Etc.  

The trucks automatically take it to the dump zone and cycle back.

But on road is a lot more dangerous and complicated than off road, because you’re dealing with other humans on the road now.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 12:21:54 AM EDT
[#20]
The trucks don't drive themselves.
A bunch of software engineers, data scientists, mechanical, electrical and industrial engineers, and centralized operations people are driving it.

Link Posted: 5/11/2023 1:07:41 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/11/2023 6:41:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Woodchuck1] [#22]

View Quote

Fuel application yesterday - we won’t hire you if you don’t have experience.   No, we won’t offer you, in writing, that after you work for our other division for x period of time of satisfactory job performance to transfer into fuels from our other division.  

Oversize application in the past - we won’t hire you without experience.   No pathway to work from our flatbed division into RGN.  

I have my Hazmat, Triples, Tank, TWIC, and no accidents or moving violations, and  worked in NYC as a local driver.   Transferred and worked moving trailer loads of equipment for an entertainment tour, in stadium venues.  When Covid killed that, I got into moving dedicated refrigerated foods, in both shuttle truck and food service roles.  

Yet, I can’t get a decent job now that it’s time for me to be home every/most nights per week.   The industry is whacked.  

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:42:36 AM EDT
[#23]
That's one company..
Start shopping around. There will be companies dying to hire you...
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 7:19:06 AM EDT
[#24]
That's one company..
View Quote
Yup, there's a lot of companies out there hiring. Of course if you want a M-F home every night job or are unwilling to relocate then the options are going to be limited.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 8:26:43 AM EDT
[#25]
That's one company..
View Quote

Those were specific examples.  It isn’t *one* company.    

Willingness to relocate isn’t an issue either, so I’m befuddled.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:55:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OverScoped] [#26]
Originally Posted By Woodchuck1:

Those were specific examples.  It isn't *one* company.    

Willingness to relocate isn't an issue either, so I'm befuddled.
View All Quotes
That's one company..

Maybe it's just your area but I'm here in Western Pennsylvania. There's a cdl driver wanted sign on every business and on the back of just about every truck.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Maybe it's just your area but I'm here in Western Pennsylvania. There's a cdl driver wanted sign on every business and on the back of just about every truck.
View All Quotes
That's one company..

I know it's hit and miss here as far as wages. Sherwin Williams was recently running billboards for CDL drivers at $100k they have a couple big operations here. A friend drives for Costco doing business deliveries and they start those guys over $60k which I thought was solid.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 3:28:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Woodchuck1] [#28]

I know it's hit and miss here as far as wages. Sherwin Williams was recently running billboards for CDL drivers at $100k they have a couple big operations here. A friend drives for Costco doing business deliveries and they start those guys over $60k which I thought was solid.
View Quote

What area, roughly?    Because 60k doesn’t seem good.   That is in the realm of dock-bumping wages, not food service/unload/sort/deliver wages.  

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 3:41:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Fuel application yesterday - we won’t hire you if you don’t have experience.   No, we won’t offer you, in writing, that after you work for our other division for x period of time of satisfactory job performance to transfer into fuels from our other division.  

Oversize application in the past - we won’t hire you without experience.   No pathway to work from our flatbed division into RGN.  

I have my Hazmat, Triples, Tank, TWIC, and no accidents or moving violations, and  worked in NYC as a local driver.   Transferred and worked moving trailer loads of equipment for an entertainment tour, in stadium venues.  When Covid killed that, I got into moving dedicated refrigerated foods, in both shuttle truck and food service roles.  

Yet, I can’t get a decent job now that it’s time for me to be home every/most nights per week.   The industry is whacked.  

View All Quotes

I hire fuel drivers without experience...

Who did you apply with? I have some friends.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:

View Quote

PM sent.   And thank you!
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

Fuel application yesterday - we won't hire you if you don't have experience.   No, we won't offer you, in writing, that after you work for our other division for x period of time of satisfactory job performance to transfer into fuels from our other division.  

Oversize application in the past - we won't hire you without experience.   No pathway to work from our flatbed division into RGN.  

Yet, I can't get a decent job now that it's time for me to be home every/most nights per week.   The industry is whacked.  

That's generous of you.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#32]

What area, roughly?    Because 60k doesn’t seem good.   That is in the realm of dock-bumping wages, not food service/unload/sort/deliver wages.  

View All Quotes

Reno area. Decent in the realm of no experience required jobs not in comparison to trucking jobs.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#33]

Reno area. Decent in the realm of no experience required jobs not in comparison to trucking jobs.
View Quote

Gotcha.   Out of curiosity, what is the general cost of living, being within a short drive of the Tahoe area?    Would I be correct in assuming that it’s high?
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 7:35:04 PM EDT
[#34]

Gotcha.   Out of curiosity, what is the general cost of living, being within a short drive of the Tahoe area?    Would I be correct in assuming that it’s high?
View All Quotes

It's skyrocketed and it doesn't really have anything to do with Tahoe. Reno has blown up. Ton of Cali expats and new industries.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 8:58:15 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

We're still hiring. Can't seem to keep people even though we are up front with them regarding the job.

With 1 year of experience: 78cpm and $33.37 per hour.

You will hook a set of doubles, driver over a mountain pass, work a dock for several hours, hook a new set and drive back over a mountain pass to go home. Average shift is going to be about 12 hours. Winter months suck and lots of chaining required. It's a graveyard schedule and these drivers are nearly guaranteed to go over a scale every single time.

It's not easy, but the money is there for those who want it. There is about a 75% turnover rate - the winter (especially this past, very heavy winter) really thins the herd.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:25:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By JoshInReno:

We're still hiring. Can't seem to keep people even though we are up front with them regarding the job.

You will hook a set of doubles, driver over a mountain pass, work a dock for several hours, hook a new set and drive back over a mountain pass to go home. Average shift is going to be about 12 hours. Winter months suck and lots of chaining required. It's a graveyard schedule and these drivers are nearly guaranteed to go over a scale every single time.

It's not easy, but the money is there for those who want it. There is about a 75% turnover rate - the winter (especially this past, very heavy winter) really thins the herd.
View Quote
I'm surprised at least your tractors aren't equipped with auto chains. If you keep the same pups (unload/reload while working the dock) they should have it too if you're going over Donner every day. With a 75% turnover rate, retrofitting would pay themselves in less then a winter.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 1:39:34 PM EDT
[#37]

That's generous of you.
View All Quotes

Fuel application yesterday - we won't hire you if you don't have experience.   No, we won't offer you, in writing, that after you work for our other division for x period of time of satisfactory job performance to transfer into fuels from our other division.  

Oversize application in the past - we won't hire you without experience.   No pathway to work from our flatbed division into RGN.  

Yet, I can't get a decent job now that it's time for me to be home every/most nights per week.   The industry is whacked.  

That's generous of you.

I employ 6 or 7 arfcommers... That I know of so far. Maybe more lurking.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Brawndo:
I'm surprised at least your tractors aren't equipped with auto chains. If you keep the same pups (unload/reload while working the dock) they should have it too if you're going over Donner every day. With a 75% turnover rate, retrofitting would pay themselves in less then a winter.
View All Quotes

Unfortunately autochains won't meet the minimum Caltrans requirements for doubles, particularly with single drive tractors. And no way do the same trailers come back every night. Most of the trailers I pull keep moving on to further locations.

Link Posted: 5/15/2023 5:27:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Woodchuck1] [#39]

View Quote

That’s pretty good pay, considering you’re not super specialized.  

You’re basically making what I do, except you get to be home every day.       snow and having to chain is no big deal.  

How is equipment maintained?    If trailers don’t even stay in a rotation…are you pulling trailers that are rolling DOT magnets?

Why can’t they retain folks?   Bad management?
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 9:43:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshInReno] [#40]

You’re basically making what I do, except you get to be home every day.       snow and having to chain is no big deal.  

How is equipment maintained?    If trailers don’t even stay in a rotation…are you pulling trailers that are rolling DOT magnets?

View All Quotes

In no particular order, our retention problem can be attributed to:

1. The work load. We hire lots of new drivers. New drivers often are not familiar with the number of hours truck drivers work. I know I had no idea 60-70 hours a week are required.

2. The hours. Graveyard shift isn't for everybody.

3. Dock work. This is common in guys we have coming in from OTR. For some reason, they just hate it. "I'm a driver, not a forklift operator!" I've heard that a bunch.

4. The weather. Lots of guys say they don't mind chaining. The tune seems to change after dozens upon dozens of nights in the snow. I didn't count, but if I was told I chained 100 nights this year I'd believe it. And we're talking full sets: two 3 rails and 4 singles. Every single time because of the checkpoints.

5. Management. They are used to high turnover and don't care one bit about a driver until that person has proven themselves. He'll, even our management turns over pretty regularly. This industry will burn a guy out extremely fast.

6. Gratitude. "This company doesn't appreciate what I do for them." I hear this one from the older guys a lot. I was actually surprised by how common the complaint is. And kind of baffled - is the company supposed to thank you for doing the job you are being paid to do? I'm not suggesting the company treats people poorly but I don't understand the need for emotional support, either.

Anyway... those are the main reasons. Also I think new drivers are unaware of just how hazardous this job can be until they get some seat time. Seen many quit after a close call or witnessing a fatality, etc.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 6:43:48 AM EDT
[#41]

Unfortunately autochains won't meet the minimum Caltrans requirements for doubles, particularly with single drive tractors. And no way do the same trailers come back every night. Most of the trailers I pull keep moving on to further locations.

View All Quotes

How many miles are you guys driving round trip on one of these shifts?

Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:48:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshInReno] [#42]

View All Quotes

Entry level run (the one quoted above) is 284 miles round trip. Each run up the ladder goes up in miles to 400+.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 4:21:50 PM EDT
[#43]

In no particular order, our retention problem can be attributed to:

1. The work load. We hire lots of new drivers. New drivers often are not familiar with the number of hours truck drivers work. I know I had no idea 60-70 hours a week are required.

2. The hours. Graveyard shift isn't for everybody.

3. Dock work. This is common in guys we have coming in from OTR. For some reason, they just hate it. "I'm a driver, not a forklift operator!" I've heard that a bunch.

4. The weather. Lots of guys say they don't mind chaining. The tune seems to change after dozens upon dozens of nights in the snow. I didn't count, but if I was told I chained 100 nights this year I'd believe it. And we're talking full sets: two 3 rails and 4 singles. Every single time because of the checkpoints.

5. Management. They are used to high turnover and don't care one bit about a driver until that person has proven themselves. He'll, even our management turns over pretty regularly. This industry will burn a guy out extremely fast.

6. Gratitude. "This company doesn't appreciate what I do for them." I hear this one from the older guys a lot. I was actually surprised by how common the complaint is. And kind of baffled - is the company supposed to thank you for doing the job you are being paid to do? I'm not suggesting the company treats people poorly but I don't understand the need for emotional support, either.

Anyway... those are the main reasons. Also I think new drivers are unaware of just how hazardous this job can be until they get some seat time. Seen many quit after a close call or witnessing a fatality, etc.
View Quote

Im my limited experience im betting the BIG ONE is the constant "chaining"
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 5:03:06 PM EDT
[#44]

Im my limited experience im betting the BIG ONE is the constant "chaining"
View Quote
That's the nice thing about running over sized loads. If the chain laws are in effect, we can't run

Unfortunately a lot our of work locations are wind farms, gas/oil fields and such and I end up having to throw iron year round anyways
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 5:13:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: juslearnin] [#45]
You should listen to Elon musk‘s interview that came out yesterday or the day before. He said that Tesla will have self driving cars by the end of this year. He said that he has spent several days driving around San Francisco without Any human input to the vehicle for safety reasons. He said basically that Tesla’s AI driving system is the most sophisticated in the world and no one is anywhere close.

Basically Tesla‘s system is constantly learning from every vehicle they have on the road.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#46]

Entry level run (the one quoted above) is 284 miles round trip. Each run up the ladder goes up in miles to 400+.
View All Quotes

So that's like 800 bucks a day, 5 days a week?
What's the catch?
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 7:47:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Being in the trailer repair industry, I eagerly await.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:04:19 PM EDT
[#48]

What's the catch?
View All Quotes

What's the catch?

Not sure about your math, but here is what it looks like:

284 miles at .78 is about $220
1.5 hours of hooking, dropping and fueling at $33.37 is about $50

So the base pay in that run is about $270. For about 6 hours. Now add in an average of 4 or so dock hours at $33.37. We're up to about $400 now for 10-11 hours.

This goes down a bit in the winter due to not having time to work the dock due to chaining. Chaining time is paid.

The catch? Graveyard shift, weather, shitty dockworkers as coworkers and salty management. And constant DOT attention at the scales.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:14:20 PM EDT
[#49]
I imagine self driving trucks possibly becoming like trains or maybe the long haul UPS trucks.
They would haul the load from say the east coast to the west to a “terminal” and then a more local truck would pick it up and make the final delivery.
They also do shipping containers that way. The train gets them to the rail yard and they are picked up and delivered within a couple hundred miles.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:30:40 PM EDT
[#50]

PM sent.   And thank you!
View Quote

Have you looked into cryo?  I hauled fuel before I came to cryo and I'm very happy here.  Lots of safety stuff to follow and driver facing cams, but I really like it.  I just do my job, follow their safety rules and they leave me alone. I easily made $100k last year and worked as little as I could.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top