Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By larkinmusic:
<Snip>
and driver facing cams

View Quote
I actually like dash cams, I tolerate the constant GPS tracking but I've made it clear to my company that driver facing cameras are my line in the sand. The day they install them is the day I turn in my truck.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Have you looked into cryo?  I hauled fuel before I came to cryo and I'm very happy here.  Lots of safety stuff to follow and driver facing cams, but I really like it.  I just do my job, follow their safety rules and they leave me alone. I easily made $100k last year and worked as little as I could.
View Quote

I hadn’t.   Don’t know the first thing about it, so…

What’s the scoop?
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 10:55:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: larkinmusic] [#3]
Originally Posted By Woodchuck1:

I hadn’t.   Don’t know the first thing about it, so…

What’s the scoop?
View Quote

I work local. You can work what we call roll and rest. Basically they go out for the week, spending their nights in motels.  For local work you will most likely start on nights with days off being weekdays.

I haul liquid nitrogen and Oxygen.  Our customers are hospitals,  manufacturers and water plants mostly.  Most of my days consist of either one delivery with about a 400 mile round trip or a couple of short deliveries with one reload.   It's easy, clean work and our company treats us very well. We aren't expected to drive in dangerous conditions, make deliveries to dangerous locations or drive dangerous equipment.  

Airgas, Air Products and Linde are a few of the carriers.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 12:44:10 AM EDT
[#4]

I work local. You can work what we call roll and rest. Basically they go out for the week, spending their nights in motels.  For local work you will most likely start on nights with days off being weekdays.

I haul liquid nitrogen and Oxygen.  Our customers are hospitals,  manufacturers and water plants mostly.  Most of my days consist of either one delivery with about a 400 mile round trip or a couple of short deliveries with one reload.   It's easy, clean work and our company treats us very well. We aren't expected to drive in dangerous conditions, make deliveries to dangerous locations or drive dangerous equipment.  

Airgas, Air Products and Linde are a few of the carriers.
View Quote

Interesting.  Thanks for the info.  

The driver facing camera would be tough to wrap my mind around, but if the money is where I need to be *and* I can be home daily?   Might be worth considering.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 4:29:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OverScoped] [#5]
Originally Posted By JoshInReno:

Not sure about your math, but here is what it looks like:

284 miles at .78 is about $220
1.5 hours of hooking, dropping and fueling at $33.37 is about $50

So the base pay in that run is about $270. For about 6 hours. Now add in an average of 4 or so dock hours at $33.37. We're up to about $400 now for 10-11 hours.

This goes down a bit in the winter due to not having time to work the dock due to chaining. Chaining time is paid.

The catch? Graveyard shift, weather, shitty dockworkers as coworkers and salty management. And constant DOT attention at the scales.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By OverScoped:
Originally Posted By Brawndo:

We're still hiring. Can't seem to keep people even though we are up front with them regarding the job.

With 1 year of experience: 78cpm and $33.37 per hour.

You will hook a set of doubles, driver over a mountain pass, work a dock for several hours, hook a new set and drive back over a mountain pass to go home. Average shift is going to be about 12 hours. Winter months suck and lots of chaining required. It's a graveyard schedule and these drivers are nearly guaranteed to go over a scale every single time.

It's not easy, but the money is there for those who want it. There is about a 75% turnover rate - the winter (especially this past, very heavy winter) really thins the herd.
I'm surprised at least your tractors aren't equipped with auto chains. If you keep the same pups (unload/reload while working the dock) they should have it too if you're going over Donner every day. With a 75% turnover rate, retrofitting would pay themselves in less then a winter.

Unfortunately autochains won't meet the minimum Caltrans requirements for doubles, particularly with single drive tractors. And no way do the same trailers come back every night. Most of the trailers I pull keep moving on to further locations.

How many miles are you guys driving round trip on one of these shifts?

Entry level run (the one quoted above) is 284 miles round trip. Each run up the ladder goes up in miles to 400+.

So that's like 800 bucks a day, 5 days a week?
What's the catch?

So the base pay in that run is about $270. For about 6 hours. Now add in an average of 4 or so dock hours at $33.37. We're up to about $400 now for 10-11 hours.

This goes down a bit in the winter due to not having time to work the dock due to chaining. Chaining time is paid.

The catch? Graveyard shift, weather, shitty dockworkers as coworkers and salty management. And constant DOT attention at the scales.

I don't do over the road so I didn't know how to calculate properly.
I was calculating the mileage  and 8 hours at $33 plus 4 hours overtime.

To be quite honest that's pretty shit pay
I would fucking laugh in your face if you asked me to do that..at night in the snow.

That's why you can't hire anybody and can't keep them. You have to make it way more attractive,
Then the regular trucking job.

I can make that everyday driving a ready mix truck.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 5:27:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: barbcue] [#6]

I would fucking laugh in your face if you asked me to do that..at night in the snow.

That's why you can't hire anybody and can't keep them. You have to make it way more attractive,
View Quote

I can't disagree with this..I'd want $50 an hour (minimum) and a guaranteed $5 raise every 6 months (consider it proper motivation to keep your drivers from quitting)
Im gunna need to see "light at the end of that tunnel"-- (every paycheck) --for that much BS..
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 11:34:55 AM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes

We're still hiring. Can't seem to keep people even though we are up front with them regarding the job.

You will hook a set of doubles, driver over a mountain pass, work a dock for several hours, hook a new set and drive back over a mountain pass to go home. Average shift is going to be about 12 hours. Winter months suck and lots of chaining required. It's a graveyard schedule and these drivers are nearly guaranteed to go over a scale every single time.

It's not easy, but the money is there for those who want it. There is about a 75% turnover rate - the winter (especially this past, very heavy winter) really thins the herd.
I'm surprised at least your tractors aren't equipped with auto chains. If you keep the same pups (unload/reload while working the dock) they should have it too if you're going over Donner every day. With a 75% turnover rate, retrofitting would pay themselves in less then a winter.

Unfortunately autochains won't meet the minimum Caltrans requirements for doubles, particularly with single drive tractors. And no way do the same trailers come back every night. Most of the trailers I pull keep moving on to further locations.

Entry level run (the one quoted above) is 284 miles round trip. Each run up the ladder goes up in miles to 400+.

What's the catch?

I must be out of the loop. Last I heard, cement drivers around here made about $25  an hour. Now I'm curious and I'll have to check that out.

Luckily for me, winter is typically around 3ish months a year. The rest of the year is easier money.

I agree wholeheartedly that we need to pay more to keep my fellow drivers. It's not an easy job, and we need to be compensated appropriately. We also need way more vacation time. What we (and other companies) get is insulting.

Sad part is I have friends at other LTL companies that make less than I do for similar work. My employer is the highest paid in the area.

While I don't hate the work, after a few years of doing this shit, I'm starting to wonder what else is out there. Hard to match the money though.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 4:59:00 PM EDT
[#8]

I must be out of the loop. Last I heard, cement drivers around here made about $25  an hour. Now I'm curious and I'll have to check that out.

Luckily for me, winter is typically around 3ish months a year. The rest of the year is easier money.

I agree wholeheartedly that we need to pay more to keep my fellow drivers. It's not an easy job, and we need to be compensated appropriately. We also need way more vacation time. What we (and other companies) get is insulting.

Sad part is I have friends at other LTL companies that make less than I do for similar work. My employer is the highest paid in the area.

While I don't hate the work, after a few years of doing this shit, I'm starting to wonder what else is out there. Hard to match the money though.
View All Quotes

What's the catch?

Well I live in Southwestern Pennsylvania.
The cost of living here isn't high however the demand for drivers is...
Last I heard Lowe's delivery drivers make $25 an hour...

If you want to find out how much other guys get paid go on to indeed and look around At the job offers out there.

Go look for jobs in my area and you'll see not only high rates. You will  also see signing bonuses and other perks.

Link Posted: 5/21/2023 8:22:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Well I live in Southwestern Pennsylvania.
The cost of living here isn't high however the demand for drivers is...
Last I heard Lowe's delivery drivers make $25 an hour...

If you want to find out how much other guys get paid go on to indeed and look around At the job offers out there.

Go look for jobs in my area and you'll see not only high rates. You will  also see signing bonuses and other perks.

View Quote

Making 110,000 per year, working five nights a week, and being home daily doesn’t sound bad to me, chains or no chains.

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:44:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Seabee_Mech:
I actually like dash cams, I tolerate the constant GPS tracking but I've made it clear to my company that driver facing cameras are my line in the sand. The day they install them is the day I turn in my truck.
View All Quotes

and driver facing cams

My dash cams are both front and driver facing. However they’re not the spy on the driver type. They only activate in an emergency or if the driver hits the panic button.  The panic button saves the previous 30 seconds before the button press and 30 seconds after.

Was something I was very adamant about when I was dash cam shopping for my fleet. I did not want my dispatchers to be able to spy on the driver.

From there, the incident footage is uploaded, AI reviewed, then flagged for incident.  We only look at stuff that has an impact happen.  Unless the driver tells my safety manager about an incident and wants to watch it, etc.  Only the admin (me) and the safety manager can access the video now.  

We had an issue early on because permissions weren’t right. And that dispatcher uh.. got to meet the not so nice side of me.  

So far, in the ~20 months we have had dash cams, we have had 3 hit and runs that were resolved in our favor because of them.  Only 1 driver was dismissed - but would have been with or without a dash cam. Because a 13’6” trailer doesn’t fit in a 12” bridge.  And he downshifted while going under it.. broke the trailer right in half, along with tearing the top off.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:

<Snip>

Was something I was very adamant about when I was dash cam shopping for my fleet. I did not want my dispatchers to be able to spy on the driver.

We had an issue early on because permissions weren't right. And that dispatcher uh.. got to meet the not so nice side of me.  
<Snip>
View Quote
Good to hear, unfortunately not all bosses are like you. I have had problems with snooping, micromanaging dispatchers that just can't resist using the tools to spy on the drivers.

Dash cams have been a net positive for our company and I'm definitely a fan of those.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 6:54:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Good to hear, unfortunately not all bosses are like you. I have had problems with snooping, micromanaging dispatchers that just can't resist using the tools to spy on the drivers.

Dash cams have been a net positive for our company and I'm definitely a fan of those.
View All Quotes

We had an issue early on because permissions weren't right. And that dispatcher uh.. got to meet the not so nice side of me.  

Yeah. Snooping is met with an iron fist with me. I know how I want to be treated. And I treat others the same if not better.  (The whole golden rule thing.)

While I didn’t fire him (I could have) - he has all computer permissions removed.  And had to verbally apologize to all the drivers he snooped on, in front of me. He also got docked his bonus.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:15:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Yeah. Snooping is met with an iron fist with me.
View Quote

I used to work for a company and one of our terminals installed cameras in their trucks as part of a pilot program.  Forward-facing and "no audio".

They called a driver in not long after the roll-out and a manager told him he wasn't happy with how the driver was bad-mouthing the company during a long phone call with his wife.

The driver justifiably went ballistic and had to be escorted off the property.  The other five drivers packed their shit and walked out in solidarity.

The manager was relocated up to Michigan or some shit, the cameras were removed, and the drivers came back to work.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top