Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2022 8:08:10 PM EDT
Considering mrk 2 i

Advantage is it can be used for other activities.

Disadvantage is that it is horribly expensive.

Anyone here have one and your thoughts?

Thank you
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 9:52:55 PM EDT
[#1]
It’s a garmin Fenix 6S with depth (and with the i) model air integration built in.

I have one and love it. My biggest complaint is there is no food way to export data (such as depth profile) outside the garmin ecosystem.  That said, the garmin software does everything a casual / recreational diver would need it to do so that’s a quibble.

Link Posted: 5/23/2022 11:21:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Great, thanks.
I’m almost there.

What’s your thoughts on using a short section of hp hose to attach the transmitter?
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 11:35:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AHSGA:
Great, thanks.
I’m almost there.

What’s your thoughts on using a short section of hp hose to attach the transmitter?
View Quote

Not needed. Just attach the transmitter to the first stage.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 6:57:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TinLeg] [#4]
The biggest benefit to attaching the transmitter with the hose is preventing accidental use of it as a handle to pick up BCD and bottle.  The thing seems pretty robust, but prob not wise to use it as a handle.

Tradeoff is you have to deal with routing the hose / attaching the device somewhere in your BCD which can make bottle changes (slightly) more finicky.

(Applies to all transmitters of course)

Mine is threaded directly on the regulator.

All required parts to use a hose instead of direct attach are included. If you go that route, read the instructions carefully.

ETA:  the transmitter use a sort of sonar methodology to send data from the transmitter to the watch when underwater, which can be set to different power levels. At higher power you get more distance / more reliable signals from the transmitter to the device, but it is audible. (Think the later stages of 56k modem handshake sound that lasts a bare 1/20th of a second, every few seconds).

It really bothers some people. It bothered me in the pool. However, I never noticed it ocean diving. At lower power levels the watch would occasionally miss a scheduled update and so alert me it had lost connection, usually resumed by the next one. But can be a bit disconcerting for new diver.

This can be mitigated by keeping the transmit power high, moving the transmitter closer to the wrist you wear your watch on, or both.

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve so often seen (and done myself) folks dragging tanks over the side of a zodiac using the first stage to grab onto.  It has me spooked.

Thank you for all your replies.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had mine for all of 72 hrs.   Maybe I get to put it to use this weekend.   I didn't start out planning to spend what I did but you do get a fair amount of functionality for the money.   I have an Oceanic Geo I started with and find it hard to read.   Looked hard at Shearwater Teric for the amoled screen but couldn't get past the short battery life and that it doesn't do anything else.   Garmin Descent Mk2, 2i, 2S and even the G1 all use the same Buhlmann ZHL16-c as Shearwater plus the Garmins do a ton more that dive.  Dive set up and planning while probably not quite as simple as two button Shearwater is plenty intuitive.   Once you are in the menus it's basically up/down on the left and select/back-up on the right.  

Garmin is offering $200 rebates through June 19th.  Descent Rebate

Outside diving I nerded out a bit and have the Mk2i set up with Amazon Music, linked to my rowing machine to capture data.  HR and Pulse Ox works.  Hr stay pretty close to my Polar chest strap until 130 or so and the the Garmin is a few points high.  GPS and mapping works well but damn the map is tiny.  Compass works great, way better than the Suunto I just sold.   Altimeter/Barometer/Temp all included but I have tested.  

CSB - I sort of lucked into my Mk2i.  I put up what I thought was a low ball offer of $1200 on Ebay.  I won the auction.  Seller was official Garmin dealer so I'm getting the $200 rebate for a $1k entry price.  Then I sold a Suunto All Black for another $100.  I won't add the transmitter right away.  My primary dive buddy is my college age daughter.  She's a watch wearer and typically wears a Baby-G.  If she ever starts looking for a smart watch I'd steer her to the G1 for the superior dive computer all in one bundle.  

Link Posted: 6/10/2022 12:47:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TinLeg] [#7]
Originally Posted By JAR0023:

My primary dive buddy is my college age daughter.  She's a watch wearer and typically wears a Baby-G.  If she ever starts looking for a smart watch I'd steer her to the G1 for the superior dive computer all in one bundle.  

View Quote

Not clear from your post if it's important or if you're aware; the G1 doesn't include Air Integration.  Only the Mk2i has that ability.  (hence the 'i' in the model name)

I can't help but think that with the $200 discount they're clearing inventory in prep to release the next model.  Particularly as the Fenix 7 was recently brought to market.  If they do i'll probably upgrade.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 10:03:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I picked up the mk2i last week.  Trying to figure out all of the sports modes - lots.  

It’ll be a while before the dive modes are tried.  Later in the summer in preparation for my trip to Indonesia.

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 4:57:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I know this is an old topic. How do you like that MK2i?
I have used mine since they have 1st came out, and I like it.
I have my transmitter setup on a short 4" HP hose. Running it on medium power. The chirping does not bother me. I rarely notice it.
Mine is all beat up to shit. :) it's a daily wear with a leather band and a silicone band for diving.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:52:35 AM EDT
[#10]
My garmin sales rep just sent me an email that there is a $50, $100, or $200 rebate on all Garmin dive computers through May 15th.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:41:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Got one last week with the transmitter and 2 additional one for the wife and son, so I can monitor their air. Lots of bells and whistles, so I haven't figured it all out, but so far I love it. Downside is it isn't cheap.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 7:13:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By JoeRedman:
Got one last week with the transmitter and 2 additional one for the wife and son, so I can monitor their air. Lots of bells and whistles, so I haven't figured it all out, but so far I love it. Downside is it isn't cheap.
View Quote

Why do you need to monitor their air?
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 8:22:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Marie:

Why do you need to monitor their air?
View Quote

Overly concerned father and husband. My son just did his 2nd freshwater dive after getting certified. Even though he uses a good bit more air than I do (the wife also), I like to have another set of eyes on them. They are both really, really great about monitoring their air and each others. We had some really good instructors.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 8:14:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By JoeRedman:

Overly concerned father and husband. My son just did his 2nd freshwater dive after getting certified. Even though he uses a good bit more air than I do (the wife also), I like to have another set of eyes on them. They are both really, really great about monitoring their air and each others. We had some really good instructors.
View Quote

Sheesh.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 9:49:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By AHSGA:
I’ve so often seen (and done myself) folks dragging tanks over the side of a zodiac using the first stage to grab onto.  It has me spooked.

Thank you for all your replies.
View Quote

I've seen several transmitters broken by being used as handles. My entire group uses very short sections of hose on our back gas. Not much of an issue on our 30s and 40s, but some guys still do it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 10:03:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Marie:

Sheesh.
View Quote

Is that a problem?
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top