Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2023 9:12:07 AM EDT
I've been losing weight and will soon need new clothes.  What are the hive's thoughts on Joseph Banks?  Is it low end like Men's Warehouse or is it decent stuff.  Looking for a couple of suits, new chinos, button down shirts, etc. for church and meetings and the like.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:18:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not wealthy, so I don't have an upper crust to compare to, but my J A Bank suits and clothing look great and last. Daily wear. I'm a minister and I hate shopping.  One stop shop for business attire.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:25:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wingsnthings] [#2]
My son recommended it to my daughters BF who is a weight lifter to find better fitting clothes. His opinion is that the difference in the sales forces is what makes the difference.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:26:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DV8EDD] [#3]
Banks is good to go.  I prefer their Traveler series, especially in the shirts.  They are more resistant to wrinkling and are more comfortable (cotton blends).  

The suits are fine but of course the key is to make sure you get them fitted properly.  Sometimes they do a good job, other times you may want to bring them to a better tailor.  A $5k suit looks like shit if it's not fitted properly, same as a $200 suit.

I am remote now but I worked on Wall Street for a couple the big well-known companies and never felt cheap or under dressed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:42:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#4]
Men's Wearhouse for starter suits, or if you need just one.  You can be fitted without breaking the bank.

Joe Banks for the next level up -- especially if you're required to wear a suit to work.  Their fitters and floor sales people were more than helpful for me when I walked in, found their lead, and told him, "I don't know proper executive clothing.  I need a gentleman's fitter to walk me through."

He explained pleats, cuffs, colors, fabrics, accessories, etc., from head to toe, staying within budget.  My first contact was to be fitted on government clothing allowance (dipping into pocket to make up the difference).  The next was when I was a company vice president for military and government sales, pitching to US and foreign upper-level management.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:11:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I can’t complain about Jos. A. Bank. Their suits have lasted me a long time. If you want to kick it up a notch without going crazy try Indochino. These are made to measure for not much more.

https://www.indochino.com
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:46:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Almost all of my suits are Jos Banks.  I like them.  They're a little pricey all in.  The suits themselves are cheap, but you at least need cuffs.  By the time the alterations are added up, the cheap suit isn't so cheap.  But, they're worth it.  They do look good.  The website has some great values from time to time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:56:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Here is the secret to procuring a very high end and professional wardrobe at incredibly low prices:  you need to go to a high end store and try their “off the rack suits”. Kiton, Canali, Zegna, etc….  Once you find the standard OTR size that fits you then fire up eBay.   You will get $2000 suits for $150ish.    Same with dress shirts.  $400 shirts for $25.

This will bridge the gap and show you what features and styles work best for you, then you can buy new.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 9:23:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a couple JAB suits I needed in a pinch and also some bespoke suits. There is a difference in fit and finish but after getting JAB suits tailored the casual observer can't tell the difference.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:13:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DV8EDD:
Banks is good to go.  I prefer their Traveler series, especially in the shirts.  They are more resistant to wrinkling and are more comfortable (cotton blends).  

The suits are fine but of course the key is to make sure you get them fitted properly.  Sometimes they do a good job, other times you may want to bring them to a better tailor.  A $5k suit looks like shit if it's not fitted properly, same as a $200 suit.

I am remote now but I worked on Wall Street for a couple the big well-known companies and never felt cheap or under dressed.
View Quote

The tailoring is the key. I never had good work done at that place. I took a suit I bought there to the top ranked tailor in DC (based on Washingtonian magazine) and he showed me how they had given me the wrong size, showed me the difference between the one they sold me and one of his that's actually my size.

Lesson learned is the sales staff there may learn a little something and may know more than you, but they are not experts or masters of their craft in any way.

I wear suits everyday and the $800-1500 suits I've bought form my tailor last years, some a decade.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 7:56:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Every suit I had from them was painfully short in the stride. Felt like I had a clothesline run between my ghoulies and up my crack.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 9:27:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Ive had a really good results using iTailor.com

Eveythinf I've customized and ordered came in and fit like a glove and really good construction.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I’ve used Joseph A Bank for years. I had a buddy that worked in the custom suit business. I asked him what was the best value/quality. Without hesitation, he said if it was his money, he’d go with the Joseph A Bank Travelers Collection.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 10:01:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LV1976] [#14]
I don't own any Jos. A. Bank suits but I do have a couple of their dinner jackets that I like to wear to less formal black tie events like New Years. The fit well and are constructed well, but I've noticed that in recent years they've started moving toward cheaper synthetic fabrics while still charging the same price. Wool and silk blends are now polyester and rayon/viscose blends.  I suppose thats not something exclusive to Jos. A. Bank, more's the pity.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 2:07:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By mban2:
Here is the secret to procuring a very high end and professional wardrobe at incredibly low prices:  you need to go to a high end store and try their “off the rack suits”. Kiton, Canali, Zegna, etc….  Once you find the standard OTR size that fits you then fire up eBay.   You will get $2000 suits for $150ish.    Same with dress shirts.  $400 shirts for $25.

This will bridge the gap and show you what features and styles work best for you, then you can buy new.
View Quote

@mban2 what stores would this be?
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 11:58:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 217:
I’ve used Joseph A Bank for years. I had a buddy that worked in the custom suit business. I asked him what was the best value/quality. Without hesitation, he said if it was his money, he’d go with the Joseph A Bank Travelers Collection.
View Quote

They are on summer clearance right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top