Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2024 1:31:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MrEG]
UPDATE: I got a Bambulabs X1 Carbon. It's amazing.

Guys, I have an Ender S1 Pro that I bought just to see if I would like 3D printing (I avoided buying an expensive printer on the off chance I wouldn't like it). Now I use it all the time and have learned I really like 3D printing. I use Tinkercad to design all manner of little parts, print them, and life is good, though I have no misgivings that my dinky Harbor Freight-esque setup makes me one of the cool guys.

Well, I have graduated from making my own random doodads and have started trying to print lower receivers and the like. Simply put, my printer (as it sits today) cannot print with enough precision. The output parts are out of spec.

A friend of mine who has a lot of experience with these kinds of things walked me through all the ways I can manipulate the flow and do this math problem and that trial and error procedure and whatnot. Alternatively, he says, I can buy a higher-end printer that will calibrate itself well enough that I can avoid that learning curve.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 1:35:54 AM EDT
[#1]
A little extra info...

Part of me is kind of disappointed in myself because I have learned how do to most everything the hard way. So, hitting the easy button and buying a more expensive machine seems kind of lame.

On the other hand, I'm an incredibly busy lawyer by day, and a father of five kids in the evening. So, it would easily be worth the money to be able to take some of the guesswork out of printing. I usually only have a little time after everyone goes to bed to mess with this stuff.

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 1:40:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm leaning toward a Bambu Lab X1. But I'm open to suggestion.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 1:41:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Yea, that thing is old. Get something like a Prusa MK4 or Bambu X1.

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 5:09:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Learn to calibrate the printer.

You'll need to be able to do that with a cheap and expensive one.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gaspain:

View Quote

Solid advice.

Today I see Bambu and Prusa as the only real considerations for reliable, turn key consumer 3D printers.

Some others show some promise but there are too many rough edges for me to truly consider them top shelf.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:52:29 AM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

I am looking to move away from my Ender 5+.  Tired of tweaking and repairing to run great for a month and then going through the same process again. I have been considering either a Prusa XL or a Bambu X1C.  I like a lot of the reviews on the Bambu and the fact is already has an enclosure.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 11:51:57 AM EDT
[#7]
The XL is more of a project.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 2:24:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Going to throw QIDI in the ring. Not as big a following as Bambu but adds a little more, IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Popov:
Going to throw QIDI in the ring. Not as big a following as Bambu but adds a little more, IMHO.
View Quote

Not aware of it adding anything, besides build volume?
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#11]
The XL is more of a project.
View Quote

@gaspain

How so?  Experiences?

The enclosure and ready to rock and roll on a bunch of material types is what I like about the Bambu.  But, the XL has a true multi-material setup with the head exchange.  I am just not sure if I would utilize that.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ag04blast:

@gaspain

How so?  Experiences?

The enclosure and ready to rock and roll on a bunch of material types is what I like about the Bambu.  But, the XL has a true multi-material setup with the head exchange.  I am just not sure if I would utilize that.
View Quote

Honestly initial reviews and user reports are not great for the XL. Already a lot of customizing going on and prints are not coming out well. The Bambu even being single extruder is delivering much better MM prints last I checked.

Honestly I'm trying to hold out for a large format Bambu. If they could get a fast CoreXY machine that is as large of build volume as the big Voron Id be all for it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 4:03:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rat_Patrol] [#13]
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm not sold on Voron either. Only half of people can get them printing right and only another half can get decent performance. And I don't have that kinda time on my hands to build. And I'm not sure about the availability of automatic Z offset calibration and if I went down the Voron path I'd at least want that.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 5:11:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 5:29:54 PM EDT
[#16]
The first two recommendations are solid.

The XL is a monster in size - and cost if you max it out with print heads.  I can still see me
owning one, but what a beast.

I have had some of the best prints from my MK IV - while the MK 3S+ was a close second.  Folks
at work compared it to their best print and mine seem to be about the best.

So right now I ma upgrading my old MK III -> IV to fix some issues due to it being a bit
high mileage + age.  

Right now I am working hard to get the Voron LDO 2.4 kit; but I don't think it can do the same
quality of prints as the MK IV.   The goal is me getting that printer is to set it up
for larger prints and having it come with its own enclosure so printing with ASA, ABS
materials is possible.  

And to tinker, lots and lots of tinkering....

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 5:45:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Another vote for QIDI. I have the X Plus 3.

OP either way you need to learn how to calibrate your printer.

I go by this guide and most everything is built into OrcaSlicer.

https://ellis3dp.com/Print-Tuning-Guide/
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:47:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:05:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:

Just go voron and enraged rabbit carrot feeder and have 16 filaments loaded up
View Quote

I have a non functioning Voron 2.4 350 under my desk. No one that I’ve had look at it or talked to can figure out how to get it to work.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:16:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By RV8guy:

I have a non functioning Voron 2.4 350 under my desk. No one that I’ve had look at it or talked to can figure out how to get it to work.
View Quote

I will cover shipping to my home.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:42:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I just ordered a Bambu Labs X1 Carbon. I’ll let you know how it goes.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:15:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:55:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScooterInVegas] [#24]
You're going to be really happy with the X1C.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:57:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By MrEG:

I just ordered a Bambu Labs X1 Carbon. I'll let you know how it goes.
View Quote
While I like my MK4, if I were to do it over, I would get the X1 Carbon.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 3:31:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Saker13:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

And, I now have an X1 Carbon
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:48:50 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote
You're going to like it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:59:07 PM EDT
[#28]
And, I now have an X1 Carbon
View Quote

I ordered the ObXidian high flow nozzle and am playing with the Orcaslicer Fork. It allows for a few more things.

Make sure you have a micro SD card for the printer. It lets you save timelapses and .GCODE.3MF plates to the printer directly.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I'll throw in the Creality K1 Max. 300x300x300 build area, has auto Z (uses pressure from nozzle) and really is load and forget. The only down side is the lack of 3rd party slicing and eventhough it runs Klipper, they've locked it out and let you see the bare minimum. At some point, I'll jailbreak it. For now, it's really solid and fast.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

I ordered the ObXidian high flow nozzle and am playing with the Orcaslicer Fork. It allows for a few more things.

Make sure you have a micro SD card for the printer. It lets you save timelapses and .GCODE.3MF plates to the printer directly.
View Quote
What file system does the SD card need to be formatted to?  I have an old 64mb card I used for Home Assistant in the past and it isn't recognized.  Have a few others I can try that are NIB but want to make sure I have the right format.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#31]
What file system does the SD card need to be formatted to?  I have an old 64mb card I used for Home Assistant in the past and it isn't recognized.  Have a few others I can try that are NIB but want to make sure I have the right format.
View Quote

No idea. I put one in, said it wasn't recognized, but then I saw that the printer can format them. So I just let it format it and now all is well.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:44:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Update: I got a Bambulabs X1 Carbon with the AMS.

Holy cow. This thing rules. It just flat works and is basically idiot proof.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:31:02 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

At first I was, 'glad he likes his Bambu as much as I like mine', then I was like, '.......Hey!'.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:58:16 PM EDT
[#34]

Holy cow. This thing rules. It just flat works and is basically idiot proof .
View Quote

You underestimate idiots.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:25:58 PM EDT
[#35]

No idea. I put one in, said it wasn't recognized, but then I saw that the printer can format them. So I just let it format it and now all is well.
View Quote
Did this and all is well.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:31:13 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote
In my less than a week of owning the X1C...  Go to HD or Lowes and get a concrete paver that is about 16" by 16".  Put your printer on it, I coated the paver in flex seal, partly for aesthetics and partly to protect the end table it sits on.  The slab improved the noise a good bit.  Haven't tested the speed yet.....
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:53:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rat_Patrol] [#37]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:05:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#38]
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:
Well, boys, I ordered a Bambu A1 Mini.

It's for my Dad though
. I will be getting it printing, making sure there are no issues with it, so I'll get some Chinese Bambu experience.

I'm ordering the Prusa mk3.5 upgrade kit for my mk3s right away, just to get it into the modern era of input shaping and 32 bit. I have the MMU3 on it, so there you go I guess. Plus, I still have my partially built Voron 2.4 350mm that needs finishing

Once we finish moving, I'll see where printers are then, maybe I'll get the (hopefully fully fixed) Prusa XL, another tool changer(?), or I'll look at Bambu, especially if they have an XL version.
View Quote

We are all very proud of you for swallowing your pride.

That must have been very difficult. How was the purchase experience?
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:08:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Steamedliver] [#39]

Not aware of it adding anything, besides build volume?
View Quote

Qidi does not rely on the cloud at all for printing on any of their printers.

Qidi has several printers that use Klipper (basically the ones that get discussed here).

Of course, its up to the user if those details are important.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:13:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:

Qidi does not rely on the cloud at all for printing on any of their printers.

Qidi has several printers that use Klipper (basically the ones that get discussed here).

Of course, its up to the user if those details are important.
View Quote

THat doesn't add to the Qidi. That takes away from it.

You don't have to use the cloud to print on a Bambu. The option is there. It's not required. I can print over LAN only, or can use an SD (actually MicroSD) like everyone else.

And Bambu's firmware (not sure if it's actually Kilpper or a proprietary variant of such) but it does everything that Klipper can do to my knowledge.

So if you want open source and to modify your own firmware, sure, Klipper will allow you to do that. But per my previous post...not sure that actually adds anything. But it's different, certainly.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:25:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Steamedliver] [#41]

THat doesn't add to the Qidi. That takes away from it.

You don't have to use the cloud to print on a Bambu. The option is there. It's not required. I can print over LAN only, or can use an SD (actually MicroSD) like everyone else.

And Bambu's firmware (not sure if it's actually Kilpper or a proprietary variant of such) but it does everything that Klipper can do to my knowledge.

So if you want open source and to modify your own firmware, sure, Klipper will allow you to do that. But per my previous post...not sure that actually adds anything. But it's different, certainly.
View Quote

Depends on what you consider adding.  There was a time Bambu was cloud based or SD card only, you can then say they removed a “feature.”  Or you can say they added what users wanted, security.  You can do a search to see how that was a big deal to certain people.

Klipper is open source and has a much larger user base with modification than Bambu does.  In that respect, it adds user modification, more customization possibility than the proprietary Bambu firmware.

Edit.  Can you modify the firmware like Klipper?

Once again, it’s up to the user to determine if those differences are useful.  

I prefer OSX and Windows over anything Linux, despite the user base and customization / control Linux offers, as an example.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:34:02 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm still running my 4 year old Ender 3.

Last upgraded about a year ago still prints great.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:16:24 PM EDT
[#43]
In my less than a week of owning the X1C...  Go to HD or Lowes and get a concrete paver that is about 16" by 16".  Put your printer on it, I coated the paver in flex seal, partly for aesthetics and partly to protect the end table it sits on.  The slab improved the noise a good bit.  Haven't tested the speed yet.....
View Quote

Will do. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By tnertb:

You underestimate idiots.
View Quote

Haha. At my level of idiocy, the machine has been up to the task.

The whole thing is very intuitive. And I really like that the AMS can sense what filament I'm using and adjust the settings accordingly.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:24:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrEG] [#45]
I printed a DB9 Alloy and got it all assembled. It's pretty slick.

Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:25:57 PM EDT
[#46]
The pistol grip was printed on my Ender S1 Pro. The lower was printed on the Bambulabs X1 Carbon. It's a pretty remarkable contrast (though the materials are different, too).
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:26:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrEG] [#47]
Post removed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top