Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2024 7:31:07 PM EDT

Guy was having a moving sale.

What I got from web info and the guitar itself is that it's an '03 Standard series in 3 color burst finish, made in Indonesia.
It's got a couple little dings and is a bit grungy but will clean up. Everything works as it should, was even in tune.

Along for the ride was an amazon stand, generic? hard shell case, a Blackstar ID core V3 20 stereo amp, cords, picks.
 $200 for the lot which I felt was a fair price.

Why? Dunno. I do like the Clash though...
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#1]
patiently waiting on pictures of the above purchased items.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:15:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nophun] [#2]
Lets see...

" />

there it is
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:53:02 PM EDT
[#3]
That was a great deal.

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:33:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Sweet little setup.  Get the frets dressed and throw some Rio Grandes in there and you'll have a rockin' little guitar setup.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:51:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Those amps are great just need to use a laptop to get the most out of when setting up patches. You got a good deal.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:03:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RickFinsta:
Sweet little setup.  Get the frets dressed and throw some Rio Grandes in there and you'll have a rockin' little guitar setup.
View Quote

I've been watching some YouTubers on how to do all of neck and fret work yourself, I think I'm going to learn this.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:22:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RickFinsta] [#7]
It is a really good skill to have.  I don't change frets but I will do a few dressings between getting them changed by my luthier.  My shit is mostly old enough that I'm not liking the idea of chipping out a fretboard and having to repair that.

ETA: I suggest a fret rocker for starting out leveling because the risk is lower than using a large board to level all the frets at once.  If you don't have the truss rod set up for string tension you can really mess stuff up fast.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Looking a little deeper...

The jack was changed from round to a "football shaped" one, not sure why. Took it off and looked inside,
nothing indicating a problem with the hole. It'll have to stay as-is since new holes were made.

Tuning was not great, really hard to get this thing tuned without having to constantly overshoot; is this
just cheap tuners? I like the strings on it, a little bit "softer" than the ones I put on the boy's strat, I'll
measure them before I buy replacements.

Using the snark tuner, all but one string were sharp at the 12th fret, so intonation seems to be off which
will make this a good learning project.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:12:45 AM EDT
[#9]
It is a really good skill to have.  I don't change frets but I will do a few dressings between getting them changed by my luthier.  My shit is mostly old enough that I'm not liking the idea of chipping out a fretboard and having to repair that.

ETA: I suggest a fret rocker for starting out leveling because the risk is lower than using a large board to level all the frets at once.  If you don't have the truss rod set up for string tension you can really mess stuff up fast.
View Quote

I'm going to shop around to see if there's a "kit" that has all of the tools. The local guitar store probably carries some of these things and are reaonably priced on most things,
I'll probably start there.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:18:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Stewmac is your friend!

Also, instead of a Snark grab a Peterson clip on strobe unit they are pretty cheap and much more accurate for something like setting intonation.  I've got a real benchtop Peterson but end up just using the clip on.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Stewmac is your friend!

Also, instead of a Snark grab a Peterson clip on strobe unit they are pretty cheap and much more accurate for something like setting intonation.  I've got a real benchtop Peterson but end up just using the clip on.
View Quote

I ended up grabbing a Peterson Strobostomp mini recommended by the guitar tech, what a slick little box.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Peterson is a great company.  They are almost local for me, too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:41:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By nophun:

I've been watching some YouTubers on how to do all of neck and fret work yourself, I think I'm going to learn this.
View Quote

Which ones?
While I'm sure they mean well, most know just enough to be dangerous.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:34:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By splitbolt:

Which ones?
While I'm sure they mean well, most know just enough to be dangerous.
View Quote

Boy, that appies to about any DIY subject on youtube.

I watch a bunch of StewMac's videos on all (sales) subjects.

Lately I've been watching Rhett Shull, who takes you to Dave Onorato from Dojo Guitar Repair in
his some vids, and to Ben Calhoun of Righteous guitars for some vids.(all based in ATL area)

Like anything youtube, if it starts looking iffy, I move on.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:52:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nophun] [#15]
Well, that project is mostly done except that I'm having some difficulty get the intonation just right on low E.
I'll tinker with it again tomorrow or in a couple days.
What this has lead to besides learning some skills is that I really like a Tele...so...

Lake Placid Blue Telecaster

$625 is a pretty fair price for a new MIM I think; looks (kinda) like this:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top