[Last Edit: DragoMuseveni]
Paul Revere's Midnight Ride

Tomorrow is The Battle of Lexington and Concord

In honor of these historic events I leave this:

How Deadly is a Flintlock Rifle? The British hated this thing

Fuck King George and his red coats.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:12:58 PM EDT
[#1]
So which half would have been taken out of context?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:16:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Most guns used by New Englanders were smoothbore fowlers.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:17:00 PM EDT
[#3]
"The  British are coming! The British are coming!"

It would have never been said. At that time the colonists considered themselves British citizens, albeit very badly abused citizens. That statement would have made as much sense as "The Americans are coming!" would have been at, say, the January 6th debacle.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:29:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ED_P] [#5]
I was just riding my bike around Concord 2 days ago.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:31:03 PM EDT
[#6]
It would have been The Regulars are coming.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:32:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kpel308:
It was "The Redcoats are coming!" is what I was taught in school.  Of course, everyone forgets about William Dawes.

I was 11 in 1976. The Revolution was revered, pardon the pun, and not reviled like it is today.
View Quote

And Samuel prescott, who jumped that stone fence on his hoese like a boss and yeeted away.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:34:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DragoMuseveni] [#8]
Originally Posted By Joe731:
View Quote

Thread title was just "The British are coming" and the thread only had html gibberish because copy/paste of the wiki links went wrong and some unknown keyboard combo caused the post to be submitted unexpectedly.
There was never going to be enough time to unfuck that other thread.

Edit: Here's another video for the day,.

Angry Old Veteran vs. 700 Redcoats - Samuel Whittemore

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:45:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ED_P] [#9]
For anyone thinking of vacationing in Boston this year,  seeing "Battle Road" where the British advanced and retreated, and the Old North Bridge and visitor center, is very easy with lots of parking and traffic is not crazy like downtown Boston.  It's an easy destination.

Battle Road is less than 5 miles each way and also has a visitor center and numerous historic markers.  If you can't walk  the road 5 miles out and 5 miles back there are parking lots along the road for famous points like where Paul Revere was stopped by the British.

Downtown Lexington is a 5 minute drive and has Revolutionary War related markers as well.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#10]
The Regulars are out!
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Yankees were rude and many other countries would have lined the invasion route with booths selling drink, food, t-shirts and other souvenirs.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:34:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:44:36 PM EDT
[#14]
The militia drove the Brits back to Boston harbor. The next major battle was Bunker Hill on June 17.

Eventually the Brit army fled Boston by sea, and never returned for any major operations in Massachusetts.

After refit, the Brits came back to New York and New Jearsy, where initially they were very successful.

Massachusetts was very much Patriot with a heavy presence of Patriot militias. New York wasn't, it had a lot of Loyalists. The geography on New York made it possible for the Brits (sea based) to attack from many different directions.

Anti-gun types and lefties like to argue the militia was useless, but it drove the Brit army from the place it existed in force.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:22:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DragoMuseveni:

Thread title was just "The British are coming" and the thread only had html gibberish because copy/paste of the wiki links went wrong and some unknown keyboard combo caused the post to be submitted unexpectedly.
There was never going to be enough time to unfuck that other thread. https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDo6x0MhERE
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DragoMuseveni:
Originally Posted By Joe731:

There was never going to be enough time to unfuck that other thread. https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDo6x0MhERE

Samuel Whittemore is a certified American badass
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:08:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:11:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Has been in my bucket list for forever, always wanted to walk "The Battle Road". Check out Colonial Radio Theatre. They have one called Battle Road and another which is Bunker Hill. It's presented as a radio program but they also discuss with Park Rangers and others about the events. They were available as free downloads if I'm not mistaken and I highly recommend them if you're interested.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By oldcatawba:
Has been in my bucket list for forever, always wanted to walk "The Battle Road". Check out Colonial Radio Theatre. They have one called Battle Road and another which is Bunker Hill. It's presented as a radio program but they also discuss with Park Rangers and others about the events. They were available as free downloads if I'm not mistaken and I highly recommend them if you're interested.
View Quote

It's a nice walk.  They have flags where all the British soldiers are buried, as they were buried where they fell.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:42:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Praimfiya:
It would have been The Regulars are coming.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:45:08 PM EDT
[#20]
The real question is, do you think the militia men would have wore Hawaiian shirts if given the option.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By M1Zeppelin:
The real question is, do you think the militia men would have wore Hawaiian shirts if given the option.
View Quote

What did the shirts the shirtmen wore look like?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:18:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Given how MA is a cesspool of liberalism I wonder if it were not for the tourism dollars they make off of our history would they erase it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:43:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I am Samuel Whittemore !

By the way rifles were rare, the smoothbore fowling pieces and military muskets ruled the field. Even later when rifles became more available they weren't that great. There's a lot of BS myths about the rifles back then.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:47:32 PM EDT
[#24]
"The REGULARS are coming"

Them saying "the British are coming!" would be just as odd if we said "The Americans are coming!"
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:51:47 PM EDT
[#25]
"April Morning" (1988) - Excellent Battle of Lexington 1775 TV Movie
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:23:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By DonS:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M1Zeppelin:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:32:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Legend Has It - Episode 01 - The Shot Heard Round the World
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:38:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Wolfstone:
I am Samuel Whittemore !

By the way rifles were rare, the smoothbore fowling pieces and military muskets ruled the field. Even later when rifles became more available they weren't that great. There's a lot of BS myths about the rifles back then.
View Quote

Rifles were more of a thing farther west. They were significantly more accurate than smoothbores but slower to reload. And more expensive to make. They obviously offered an advantage, or else those on the frontier wouldn't bother with them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#29]
"To arms ! To arms ! "  Damn right !
They manned the line. Will we ?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

I wish he could just tell the story, without all the douchbaggery.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#31]
You ungrateful colonists. I always find a reason to make my guys work on the 4th July as a reminder a limey is still in charge.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:13:55 PM EDT
[#32]
These days it’s the illegals are coming.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:03:29 PM EDT
[#33]
The Regulars are coming.....
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:56:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:10:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#35]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:13:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By kpel308:
It was "The Redcoats are coming!" is what I was taught in school.  Of course, everyone forgets about William Dawes.

I was 11 in 1976. The Revolution was revered, pardon the pun, and not reviled like it is today.
View Quote

Bicentennial Marines.
I was one.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:25:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#37]

Star Trek -- We the People...
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:27:14 AM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

Came to post this.  April Morning was a very good movie with Robert Urich, Tommy Lee Jones, and Rip Torn.  Made for TV, but good production values.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:33:55 AM EDT
[#39]
I grew up in the Concord / Lexington area.

My father used to take me to the bird sanctuary on the battle road every chance he got.

I used to walk the bridge and parks a few times a week.

I proposed to my wife on the Old North bridge in 2016.

It's too bad the cradle of Liberty, MA, has fallen to the communists.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:44:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Today in 1775 even George Washington was British.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:04:33 AM EDT
[#41]
My hope is to check out battle road by next year.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:18:19 AM EDT
[#42]
The militia drove the Brits back to Boston harbor. The next major battle was Bunker Hill on June 17.

Eventually the Brit army fled Boston by sea, and never returned for any major operations in Massachusetts.

After refit, the Brits came back to New York and New Jearsy, where initially they were very successful.

Massachusetts was very much Patriot with a heavy presence of Patriot militias. New York wasn't, it had a lot of Loyalists. The geography on New York made it possible for the Brits (sea based) to attack from many different directions.

Anti-gun types and lefties like to argue the militia was useless, but it drove the Brit army from the place it existed in force.
View Quote

Citizen Army's of Republics are more useful than public school teaches us.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:22:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jtskier11] [#43]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:26:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Revere said “The regulars are out.”

Captain Parker never said “If they mean to have a war, let it begin here.” He instead said “Do not provoke them and let them pass.”

The first shot at Lexington was fired by a British officer from a pistol, probably Major Mitchell or Lieutenant Sutherland.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:48:43 AM EDT
[#45]
This Schoolhouse Rock segment probably teaches more about Lexington & Concord than most public schools. . .
School House Rock Shot Heard Round the World America Rock

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#46]

One of my favorite spots in the country. One very cold New England winter my friend and I skated there from Bedford, about 7 or 8 miles up the river, it was amazing.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:57:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Inquisitive_Spaniard] [#47]
Angry Old Veteran vs. 700 Redcoats - Samuel Whittemore

ETA: Dang it, OP.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:58:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:02:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Ironically Waco was also today.

History you crazy
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Was in a reenactment group for the '76 festivities, 71st Fraser's Highlanders. Still have my Brown Bess.
Fun times, we lived the life to the hilt. Besides the battles, we set up period-accurate encampments.
Well, okay, okay, the iced keg hidden inside the whiskey barrel and the occasional whine of a chainsaw for firewood may have been pushing it a bit, but...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top