Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2024 12:23:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tech-Com]
I wrote this, then realized its implications towards some of the stories I've heard about people that are overcome by the spirit, interrupt others / sermons, or have no recall of a spiritual public outburst. I can see where it might offend such people, but isn't this how we should interpret the word?

The fruits of the Holy Spirit are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.
If your spiritual gift departs from these or causes you to lose self-control, then that spirit is not from God.

With Love, Jesse

(See Galatians 5)

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 7:02:44 AM EDT
[#1]
its more of an unction that you surrender to.   we are triune beings spirit soul and body.  your body can be in control, your soul (mind and emotions) can be in control for you can let your spirit have control  there are several types of tongues.  one for self edification (praying and singing in tongues) "building yourselves up, praying in the Spirit". it is allowing God to speak thru you.  Fruit comes from "abiding in the vine".  So as you abide in Jesus "the true vine". you naturally produce the "fruit of the spirit".   Those that are lead by the Spirit or filled with the Spirit, like wind in a sail, are the children of God.  God speaks thru prophetic words spoken and also from a prophetic tongue and interpretation of that tongue.  Im not good at explaining but keep digging lol.  It is tongues is a very powerful and useful tool so keep leaning in until you get it!  " if a good father gives good gifts, how much more will He give you the Holy Spirit if you ask"
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:41:13 AM EDT
[#2]
If they start praising God and preaching the Word fluently in different languages I believe it's from the Holy Ghost. If it's just random gibberish my discernment feelers kick in.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:13:34 AM EDT
[#3]
God gave the crowd in Acts the ability to hear the gospel in their own language.  

What other useful purpose does speaking in tongues serve when (as it is nearly always done by the modern church) it is done in violation of Paul's instruction to only do so in public when an interpreter is present?
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:16:13 AM EDT
[#4]
My mom used to do it sometimes at mass at her weekly prayer group meetings. Catholic.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:39:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HEATSEAKER:
If they start praising God and preaching the Word fluently in different languages I believe it's from the Holy Ghost. If it's just random gibberish my discernment feelers kick in.
View Quote

This. I’ve seen it done before, and the whole thing just weirded me out.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:31:39 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote
Are you talking about recognized languages that are understood and comprehended by other people?
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:03:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Sartorius:
Are you talking about recognized languages that are understood and comprehended by other people?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It could be but not necessarily.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:18:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#8]
If god is all powerful why would he make it so an interpreter is needed???
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:35:26 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

Yes. Can't say I've ever seen it happen IRL but apparently the Apostles were given this gift at Pentecost so they could go out and preach to other nations and tribes without an interpreter. Either the Apostles instantly became multilingual, or the Holy Ghost served as interpreter and the foreigners all "heard" it in their own language.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:36:05 PM EDT
[#10]
God's ways aren't our ways.  He wants us together in unity.  He is Spirit and can only be spiritually discerned.  some things are a little deeper than others.  just because you haven't experienced it and millions all over the world do on a daily basis does kind of make some voices here look ignorant and closed minded to the point of a religious spirit.  so there's that
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:06:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#11]
Originally Posted By Wsr4325:
View Quote

What makes you think it's God?

I personally think nearly all instances of people "speaking in tongues" today have nothing to do with the Holy Spirit.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:05:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#12]
View Quote

1 Corinthians 14 speaks of something you know absolutely nothing about, so I recommend you read it then reconsider passing judgment on what is of God and what is not.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:07:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Josh:

I personally think nearly all instances of people "speaking in tongues" today have nothing to do with the Holy Spirit.
View Quote

That is the position held by most people who are reformed in their beliefs, there are no active gifts of the Holy Spirit today and there has not been since the time of the Apostles.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:27:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By monadh:

That is the position held by most people who are reformed in their beliefs, there are no active gifts of the Holy Spirit today and there has not been since the time of the Apostles.
View All Quotes

That's not at all my position.  Speaking in tongues could well happen today if it were needed as it was in those days.  There's no reason to believe there are no gifts of the Holy Spirit today, in fact I know someone who has spoken in tongues, in a similar situation as the early church -- preaching the gospel to someone who needed to hear it in their own language.  It's very clear from Acts that is what the gift of tongues is for.

The modern "speaking in tongues" of chattering nonsense noises in church without any interpretation is something else entirely.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#15]

1 Corinthians 14 speaks of something you know absolutely nothing about, so I recommend you read it then reconsider passing judgment on what is of God and what is not.
View Quote

Non answer
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 4:01:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tech-Com] [#16]

View All Quotes

There will be a time period where gifts cease and all that remain are faith, hope, and love. Since faith and hope remain this period must exist before the second coming. Therefore the complete maturity Paul speaks of is not about Christ's return. When Paul was a child he played as a child (referencing spiritual gifts) now he is mature, and when our mature comes the spiritual gifts will cease. Since it is not the second coming of Christ (faith and hope would also cease when this happens) what is it other than the written word? Is that written word complete/mature? The fruits I listed from Galatians can exist for all maturing processes and thus are the only real evidence we can trust. For there could be a time when real spiritual gifts cease and demonic ones remain. It seems some congregations believe speaking in tongues is proof of salvation, this is not the proof the word has taught me to look for, now if anyone uses tongue speaking as a means of judging salvation then it has become a ministry of condemnation and a tool of the Accuser and therefore a spirit that is at work in the sons of disobedience.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 4:50:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Tech-Com:
There will be a time period where gifts cease and all that remain are faith, hope, and love. Since faith and hope remain this period must exist before the second coming. Therefore the complete maturity Paul speaks of is not about Christ's return. When Paul was a child he played as a child (referencing spiritual gifts) now he is mature, and when our mature comes the spiritual gifts will cease. Since it is not the second coming of Christ (faith and hope would also cease when this happens) what is it other than the written word? Is that written word complete/mature? The fruits I listed from Galatians can exist for all maturing processes and thus are the only real evidence we can trust. For there could be a time when real spiritual gifts cease and demonic ones remain. It seems some congregations believe speaking in tongues is proof of salvation, this is not the proof the word has taught me to look for, now if anyone uses tongue speaking as a means of judging salvation then it has become a ministry of condemnation and a tool of the Accuser and therefore a spirit that is at work in the sons of disobedience.
View All Quotes

glad king James got thing all completed for god.  so can we pray or is that over too?  so just teaching gifts now?  to mature us.  no five fold ministry......did those gifts die too?  asking for my Friend
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 5:26:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Non answer
View All Quotes

Non answer

Why would I give you an answer if you can read it for yourself? What could I say that would be more clear than what Paul said?

Read it for yourself.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Why would I give you an answer if you can read it for yourself? What could I say that would be more clear than what Paul said?

Read it for yourself.
View Quote

Lol typical  

Whether you believe it or not it was a honest question
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 7:47:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tech-Com] [#20]
Originally Posted By trvln:

glad king James got thing all completed for god.  so can we pray or is that over too?  so just teaching gifts now?  to mature us.  no five fold ministry......did those gifts die too?  asking for my Friend
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By trvln:

I don't read from the KJV what does it have to do with the discussion? I'm willing to entertain ideas on what the mature is that Paul speaks about. If we still have tongues because the mature hasn't arrived and the cessation of gifts hasn't occurred then maybe we need to add some books to the Bible? Does opening the door to more books in the Bible seem like a good idea? Or Maybe it is when the body of Christ agrees to walk together in love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control compared to judgement, rivalries, divisions, and factions? I've heard about ministries of condemnation where these fruits aren't enough evidence. People are expected to lose-control to prove their salvation even though the word says the fruit of the Holy Spirit is self-control. How would an unbeliever not consider this a great contradiction or possibly demonic?

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Not every sentence in the Bible speaks directly to every person in every age.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 8:27:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tech-Com] [#22]
Originally Posted By Ascendent:
Not every sentence in the Bible speaks directly to every person in every age.
View Quote
Indeed! Elect, Saints/Brothers in the Tribulation, "we who first believed in Christ" "not all of you will sleep" First Fruits, witnesses of Christ's victory .etc Those people existed in that time, we have to be humble and consider who is referenced carefully so that we don't edify ourselves.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:29:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Lol typical  

View All Quotes

Read it for yourself.

Lol typical  

I’m sorry, I missed a big indicator of what position you would hold no matter what. Anyone who starts a discussion with “If god is all powerful why would he make it so an interpreter is needed??? It’s bullshit” is almost always an atheist. That’s ok if you are. Being honest upfront would have saved us both time. I do not try to convince atheists of anything, because they are too smart to be fooled by anything in Christianity. Any recommendation of mine telling you to read 1 Corinthians can be discarded.

To be more accurate though, you did not ask if I believed it, so you missed the chance to ask an honest question. Your question was “if god is all powerful…” which is something completely unrelated to what I believe or don’t believe. Your question from the start shows you know next to nothing about God and His nature.

Read Aquinas and come back with your question rephrased.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:57:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wsr4325] [#24]

I’m sorry, I missed a big indicator of what position you would hold no matter what. Anyone who starts a discussion with “If god is all powerful why would he make it so an interpreter is needed??? It’s bullshit” is almost always an atheist. That’s ok if you are. Being honest upfront would have saved us both time. I do not try to convince atheists of anything, because they are too smart to be fooled by anything in Christianity. Any recommendation of mine telling you to read 1 Corinthians can be discarded.

To be more accurate though, you did not ask if I believed it, so you missed the chance to ask an honest question. Your question was “if god is all powerful…” which is something completely unrelated to what I believe or don’t believe. Your question from the start shows you know next to nothing about God and His nature.

View Quote

I was speaking  in reference to speaking in tongues whether you or I believe is irrelevant to my question and statement. I’m probably worse than an atheist in your eyes, I believe there is some supreme being I just don’t care who he is
If I can live a better life than most so called Christian’s and still not get into the promise land just because I don’t bend a knee I don’t want to go
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:01:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By leib109:

This. I’ve seen it done before, and the whole thing just weirded me out.
View Quote

Many years when I was about 12 or 14 I went to a small revival with my parents. I saw a girl about my age speak in tongues.

It really freaked me out. I guess she could have been possessed by the Holy Spirit but it didn’t seem that way to me at the time.

To be honest it was rather frightening and I just wanted to get away from her and it seemed that I wasn’t the only person that felt that way.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:43:25 AM EDT
[#26]

I was speaking  in reference to speaking in tongues whether you or I believe is irrelevant to my question and statement. I’m probably worse than an atheist in your eyes, I believe there is some supreme being I just don’t care who he is
If I can live a better life than most so called Christian’s and still not get into the promise land just because I don’t bend a knee I don’t want to go
View All Quotes

You are no worse nor better than an atheist, agnostic, Hindu, Muslim, Rastafarian, etc. in my eyes, and TBH it does not matter if you were.

Being a Christian does not require bending the knee. Jesus requires us to die daily to ourselves and the world so that we can live in Him, and dying to yourself and the world is far worse. Roman 6:2-11 plainly states that, but that is the only way we can actually live. Fortunately, He is the one who makes the impossible to be possible. The Holy Spirit does the hard work in you, and you submit to His will.

This is completely foolish, and that makes it hard to accept.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top