Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2024 1:45:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: adamtheduke]
I’m a mechanic by trade and we get a yearly tool allowance. I’m limited on toolbox space being in a service truck and don’t tear up many tools so I don’t have a lot of real needs for work related tools this year. My goal over the next few years is to get a small welding/fabrication shop going in my garage and build up to something that could be a decent side hustle and retirement job. There’s a bit of grey area as to what we can use our allowance money on, but I’m sure I can make a case for most welding/fab related tools.

I’ve looked at Fireball squares, clamps, the Evolution miter saw, Milwaukee metal cutting circular saw, a couple of band saws, stationary belt grinder; even a gantry crane. I’m set on welders for now, and have a plasma cutter. I’d like to eventually get a cnc plasma table and a fixture table, but those are probably out of my current budget.

I’m interested to hear your opinions, experience and recommendations for welding and fabrication tools and equipment.

ETA: I’ve also looked at (and been spammed with tons of ads) a Vevor mag drill, which probably fills a hole in my set of tools. So I’d love to hear about your mag drill experiences as well.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 2:02:39 AM EDT
[#1]
A mill is probably the most useful tool one could own. There are lots of small tools like Mittotoya Calipers that make a huge difference. You’re on the right path. The time to own a tool is before you need it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:04:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jkees] [#2]
The fireball squares are great I own 4 and use them all the time.

As for a saw I would recommend just biting the bullet and buying a slow speed cold saw. Very very little blade deflection which is great on angled cuts, probably the cleanest cut short of a mill and will last forever if you keep the ways clean and coolant topped off.

Between those two and a good table I honestly don't think there is much else you would need to buy besides some nice F clamps. (since you said you got the other stuff covered)

As far as priorities go, I would say the saw first, the clamps, then the squares.
Squares are not necessary, just means you have to measure more often, which slows down work.
And good clamps will just last your entire life and let you bend some stuff into place (like entire I-Beams) without worrying about breaking it.

Way I see it is squares, clamps, and tables make up for any inaccuracies with fitment, but if you have a good tool to cut accurate fitment in the first place, you can get by with less correction.

But that comes down to what kind of work you think you are going to get. This is what I would recommend for what im more used to with square tubing/square stock structures and frames. This changes if you plan on doing alot of smaller stuff.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:44:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ske714] [#3]
You cannot have too many clamps.   Forged > cast

A nice big vice is also a must.  Yost are GTG.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 8:19:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I am very happy with the Fireball tools I have.  I had a cold saw and ended up selling it.  I hated dealing with the coolant.  Now I have a dry cut chop saw and a mitering band saw.  I use the band saw the most.

I have been tempted to get a metal cutting circular saw, but always find something else to buy.  I do use a Skilsaw with a metal cutting blade, but not often.

As mentioned, clamps.  I have a bunch, but still buy them when I can.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 10:04:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tinysd:
I am very happy with the Fireball tools I have.  I had a cold saw and ended up selling it.  I hated dealing with the coolant.  Now I have a dry cut chop saw and a mitering band saw.  I use the band saw the most.

I have been tempted to get a metal cutting circular saw, but always find something else to buy.  I do use a Skilsaw with a metal cutting blade, but not often.

As mentioned, clamps.  I have a bunch, but still buy them when I can.
View Quote

I’ve got a Milwaukee abrasive chop saw, a porta-band on a Swag bandsaw table and a miter saw that I use with a Diablo metal blade occasionally. I use them all so rarely that I have thought about trying to consolidate them into fewer tools. I just hate getting rid of tools once I’ve gotten them.

The Evolution saw is really tempting me. I’m not sure I can get a cold saw by purchasing approval though. I’ve got to be able to actually get it in my service truck to begin to justify it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 10:05:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ske714:
You cannot have too many clamps.   Forged > cast

A nice big vice is also a must.  Yost are GTG.
View Quote

I’m interested to hear everyone’s clamp preferences.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 12:45:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jkees] [#7]
Im spoiled with the big heavy duty bessey F clamps.

Hard to go to anything else now that ive tasted the caviar...
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 12:47:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By adamtheduke:

I’ve got a Milwaukee abrasive chop saw, a porta-band on a Swag bandsaw table and a miter saw that I use with a Diablo metal blade occasionally. I use them all so rarely that I have thought about trying to consolidate them into fewer tools. I just hate getting rid of tools once I’ve gotten them.

The Evolution saw is really tempting me. I’m not sure I can get a cold saw by purchasing approval though. I’ve got to be able to actually get it in my service truck to begin to justify it.
View Quote

Oh yeah didnt realize you were trying to fit everything in a service truck, you would need dedicated shop space for a cold saw.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 1:06:34 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

These Vise Grip clamps get the most use
Attachment Attached File

I like the small ones too
Attachment Attached File

I also have Bessey and Stronghand F clamps.  Also cheap Chinese C clamps.
Attachment Attached File

I’m a big fan of Kant-Twist too
Attachment Attached File

I have learned to not put clamps in a drawer or cabinet because I forget what I have.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 1:19:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought these Fireball clamps because I like the versatility of using any length of 1x2 or 2- 1x1 for the clamp.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Considering the majority of my work fits on that small table, I don’t have much use for them.  I like that I can have a 20 foot clamp if needed.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 2:07:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Jkees:

Oh yeah didnt realize you were trying to fit everything in a service truck, you would need dedicated shop space for a cold saw.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Ok, so I should probably clarify this. Part of my tool allowance is that the tools we buy have to be necessary for our job duties. Being in a service truck limits me to things that are at least mobile. In all likelihood whatever I buy won’t be questioned and will just stay at home. But there’s a chance that I’ll have to justify what I buy and something that I can’t even get in my truck would be difficult.

The shop I’m looking to outfit is at home.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 1:26:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a few decent name brand clamps, then I have a bunch of just cheap HF c-clamps, f clamps, whatever. I know they aren't the best, but you use the good clamps to get your piece initially set, then use the cheaper stuff to finish nailing it down.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 5:58:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Seatbelts] [#13]

View Quote

Bessy.

Im spoiled with the big heavy duty bessey F clamps.

Hard to go to anything else now that ive tasted the caviar...
View Quote

I thought the exact same thing. We just got new Bessey's in yesterday and I can't even fathom how expensive it is to buy the number we did. Needless to say this is a case of buy once cry once.

Some guys tried to buy some of those rinky dink ones they sell at like Northern tool, and so far every single one has been broken or is so sketchy that you never use it unless its the only one left.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top