Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2023 11:59:12 AM EDT
Hey all, I’m trying to gather some real world info about a good smaller type SxS for some fun riding and a little work. I don’t have any size restriction trails but my deal is all my local trails including my own little woods were all made years ago for atvs. I did trim out the trails at my house and my neighbors just enough to get my little Kubota tractor with my deck still on at 54 cut/about 59 inches overall through.  Usually pulling a little wagon with the kids for “hay rides”.
So far I really like the Honda, I’m an old Honda guy, 500 or maybe a 520. The 700 with power steering would be nice but at 59.9 wide I don’t know how well it would work in my woods. The Can Am trail 700 with power steering looks appealing but it’s a bit longer. So these are some of the things that I am considering. Anybody have any suggestions or recommendations for this type of machine. The bed specs don’t concern me as long as it has a hitch. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 1:13:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Attachment Attached File
Yamaha Viking, just what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 1:26:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Here’s the thing, the narrow SxS are small.  Maybe the Honda would work, IDK.  I was shopping around for my SxS in 21, looked and drove most.  
I thought I wanted a 50” SxS, to beat the 50” restrictions we have on some trails.  After driving a few, then driving the 62+” ones, it was no contest.  The 50s were just too cramped for me, and no cargo room.
My Yamaha Wolverine works for me, but I’m mostly on bigger trails.
Big cargo box is what I wanted, and got.  62” wide.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 4:22:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a Polaris Midsize 570 Ranger for deer hunting. Our trails were all originally built for 4 wheelers. The 570 gets around in the woods great and will carry 3 people when needed.  Love mine and I’m on my second one. Passed my first one down to my son Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 4:44:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GeneralDisaray] [#4]
I have a rhino 700 I use for trails and work (going on 13 years now) - I already feel it’s way underpowered I cant imagine what a 500 would be like.

Dad has a ranger xp 1000 and it got plenty of power - it sucks when you need power and don’t have it.

Personally I’d be looking at a 1000. Can am trail also has a 1000 and it’s tiny - just saw one the other day. So tiny in fact I thought it was for kids. I couldn’t imagine anything serious being done with it.

My vote would be something like a ranger xp or general.

I think the can am commander is a little shorter in the wheel base.

As others have stated Wolverine is a good option as well.

Honda pioneer - I’d be looking at a 1000 if you could

Most reliable is going to be Yamaha outside of that they all have their issues so pick what you like.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#5]
He wants a skinny one.  There are some options, I just didn’t like the lack of space, two adults in front are  like being crammed into economy seats on spirit air.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 5:59:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Buckeye33] [#6]
Thanks guys for the help. Unfortunately or fortunately I guess, my buddy has a Viking that I was able to try and it was definitely a no go. Just too wide and turned too wide to actually get through. He’s the only person I know that has anything other than a gator or Kubota farm duty rig. I did stumble across that 570 ranger today while killing time.  I should clarify that this is for me and my 7 year old daughter. My wife will likely take one lap around the yard and call it good. Most of the use will be putting around and maybe one or two trips a year down south riding back roads. I still have my tractor and a 3 point dump box which ironically is about the same size as the bed on many of SXS out there. I would love a Pioneer 1K but that would also mean new trailer and a whole lot more work on the trails.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 6:42:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a 2014 CanAm Commander 1000 XT NIB and have been truly pleased with it. It works around our place, can't count how many shooting matches I've used it at, Been all over Moab and the BIG trails in Co. It has never been in the "mud" and I'll never take it there either.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 7:36:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Kawasaki has a smaller mule.  It is not fast at all but will work well for labor task.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 7:55:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Start telling people you’re not a road hunter now to get a head of the game.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 7:57:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Kubota gas Sidekick model; 62.5" wide, 0-40 mph (vs. 0-25 for the Kubota diesel models), but with comparable payload and towing numbers.

Here's  mine next to a local river:

Link Posted: 12/30/2023 7:59:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Merlin:
Kubota gas Sidekick model; 62.5" wide, 0-40 mph (vs. 0-25 for the Kubota diesel models), but with comparable payload and towing numbers.

https://i.imgur.com/ECNRYpx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4hvXUwt.jpg

View Quote

Roland has a chode?

Is that good or bad?
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 8:32:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#12]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:

Roland has a chode?

Is that good or bad?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
Originally Posted By Merlin:

https://i.imgur.com/ECNRYpx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4hvXUwt.jpg

Roland has a chode?

Is that good or bad?
The other side; my house and farm are in the background (white dot upper center):

Link Posted: 12/30/2023 10:09:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a 2015 Honda Pioneer 500 and have been very happy with it. They are nimble and go where bigger UTV's can't go. They are also little work horses when you need it.You can select from automatic shifting or manual shifting on the 520 and newer 500 models. The only time I wish I had power steering is when I have to do a lot of snow plowing. Otherwise I get by just fine without it. I run a 60" plow which is just barely wide enough at full tilt.

Obligatory photo.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/31/2023 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By LoudLyle:
I use a Polaris Midsize 570 Ranger for deer hunting. Our trails were all originally built for 4 wheelers. The 570 gets around in the woods great and will carry 3 people when needed.  Love mine and I’m on my second one. Passed my first one down to my son https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/493363/IMG_5750_jpeg-3076131.JPG
View Quote

A Polaris Ranger 570 mid size was my first thought.  

I have a 570 full size, and it is a freaking billy goat.  I imagine that a mid size would be very nimble on narrow trails.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 9:17:56 AM EDT
[#15]
If you are a decent mechanic get the Polaris Ranger 500 but if you want reliable get the Honda. If you’re lucky you might run across a used Yamaha Rhino. There’s nothing wrong with the little JD gator’s my HPX is set up to run off of propane. And we have a fill hose on our tank. The little mule can be run off of propane as well. We have a Curtis cab on our Gator with heater that is nice in the winter. The only two complaints I have is no ground clearance and the springs are weak and bottom out with the cab. But other than that the Gator is by far the most cost effective utv we have. Personally for narrow trails I still prefer the atv. I just got a Honda Rubicon with power steering and I love it. Although the Yamaha Kodiak has been a workhorse. I wish I would’ve gotten power steering.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:59:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Levi24] [#16]
For your needs those little Mule SXs seem to hold up like their big brothers and are built like tanks (but be advised that they do make a 4x2 version).      I have had mules but am considering a Honda 700-4 right now due to the Honda durability.   I would think the Honda SXS 500 would be great for you as some has said...just not much bed space.

Has anyone heard what the SXS market is doing as 2024 rolls in?  Just curious if these new ones will ever be decreased in price?   It is crazy what a new SXS is especially with dealer costs

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:19:11 PM EDT
[#17]
The Honda Pioneer 520 has a dump bed while the Pioneer 500 only has a rack. I took a hitch cargo carrier and cut it down to fit the back of my Pioneer 500. I also have a 48" wide toolbox mounted right behind the cab too.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 12:34:12 PM EDT
[#18]
While checking out some machines yesterday the dealer I spoke with said they had the usual end of year bump for people that needed a tax write off like farmers and construction companies. Aside from that he said sales have slowed and inventory is beginning to stack up on some of the more moderate machines. Honda is the only manufacturer that is still slow getting things out. He told me that even if I knew what I wanted that I should wait a little bit longer to see what rebates the manufacturers start putting out. Based on what he said the Kawasaki Mule MX is beginning to call to me.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 9:29:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Buckeye33:
While checking out some machines yesterday the dealer I spoke with said they had the usual end of year bump for people that needed a tax write off like farmers and construction companies. Aside from that he said sales have slowed and inventory is beginning to stack up on some of the more moderate machines. Honda is the only manufacturer that is still slow getting things out. He told me that even if I knew what I wanted that I should wait a little bit longer to see what rebates the manufacturers start putting out. Based on what he said the Kawasaki Mule MX is beginning to call to me.
View Quote
Between now and about April is the best time to by the previous year models from dealers if they have any in stock. I saved quite a bit by buying my 2015 Honda Pioneer 500 in late March of 2016. It was the last 2015 model on the show room floor and the dealer wanted it gone. They made me a great deal and also threw in the Honda extended warranty for free.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:42:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#20]
Originally Posted By Levi24:
For your needs those little Mule SXs seem to hold up like their big brothers and are built like tanks (but be advised that they do make a 4x2 version).      I have had mules but am considering a Honda 700-4 right now due to the Honda durability.   I would think the Honda SXS 500 would be great for you as some has said...just not much bed space.

Has anyone heard what the SXS market is doing as 2024 rolls in?  Just curious if these new ones will ever be decreased in price?   It is crazy what a new SXS is especially with dealer costs

View Quote

In the used market in my area there are a lot available to buy and a bunch are sitting for weeks unsold so the owners are dropping prices….some I’ve seen are dropping 2-4000 off the originally listed prices. I suspect many side by side owners are maxed out on debt and are selling off their toys as the debt bomb explodes.

I’ve also noticed a lot more dealer inventory and a few dealers are offering deals.

I think it’s becoming a buyers market but not a full buyers market yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top