Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 4/24/2024 8:44:43 PM EDT
Who makes the best overall semi and why? A retired OTR driver with almost 50 years experience told me Peterbilt but that was around 1993 so I’m sure things have changed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:47:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about the best but we had a lot of Volvos  and the drivers seemed to like them .
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:49:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MethaneMover] [#2]
The oilfield loves the KW's.

OTR in flip flops loves Volvo.

Road warriors with taste are in Petes and KWs to a lesser extent.

Freight routes like the Freightshakers.

Mack...used to be.

^^^^ what I see in my travels.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Volvo.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:51:19 PM EDT
[#4]
All the above. It’s subjective. I don’t like International but I’ve had good and bad of some of those you listed but for most part they have all been decent it just depends on how you treat them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:51:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Isn’t there some kind of thing with older diesels that they are better than the new ones that have some kind of messed up pollution controls that can’t be fixed so people will take an old chassis and motor and refurbish the whole thing and it’s worth a lot of money because it has an older motor that’s not messed up,like the new ones?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:51:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1975] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MethaneMover:
The oilfield loves the KW's.

OTR in flip flops loves Volvo.

Road warriors with taste are in Petes and KWs to a lesser extent.

Freight routes like the Freightshakers.

Mack...used to be.

^^^^ what I see in my travels.
View Quote

I think Volvo owns Mack now. And Freightliner owns Western Star, so I didn’t list those two.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:53:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JohnfromHR:
Isn't there some kind of thing with older diesels that they are better than the new ones that have some kind of messed up pollution controls that can't be fixed so people will take an old chassis and motor and refurbish the whole thing and it's worth a lot of money because it has an older motor that's not messed up,like the new ones?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:54:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Isn’t there some kind of thing with older diesels that they are better than the new ones that have some kind of messed up pollution controls that can’t be fixed so people will take an old chassis and motor and refurbish the whole thing and it’s worth a lot of money because it has an older motor that’s not messed up,like the new ones?
View Quote

Those were called gliders and I don't think that loophole exists anymore.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:54:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Isn't there some kind of thing with older diesels that they are better than the new ones that have some kind of messed up pollution controls that can't be fixed so people will take an old chassis and motor and refurbish the whole thing and it's worth a lot of money because it has an older motor that's not messed up,like the new ones?
View Quote
Ya.  Pre-def and pre-elog if you can.
Originally Posted By 1975:

I think Volvo owns Mack now.
View Quote
Yeahhh.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:54:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Diamond REO.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:54:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Mack used to be.

Loves me an R Model Mack
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:57:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Which is sexier- W900 or 379?

Trick question.  It's a c500 bed truck.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:57:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Freightliner. Tons of stealerships, way more than anyone else. But there's also a reason for that too.

KW W900 good ol' classic truck, the rest are alright.

Peterbuilt do they still make the 379? The rest same as KW, both are PACCAR.

Volvo heavy but the safest truck out there. Can become a electrical nightmare when they want to. Smooth riding trucks, like a high $$$ R/V. Quiet too.

Navistar owned by VW Group now, don't know much about them other than that POS engine they came out with some years ago, almost put them out of business.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:00:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By MattyMattel:
Freightliner. Tons of stealerships, way more than anyone else. But there's also a reason for that too.

Volvo heavy but the safest truck out there. Can become a electrical nightmare when they want to. Smooth riding trucks, like a high $$$ R/V. Quiet too.

Navistar owned by VW Group now, don't know much about them other than that POS engine they came out with some years ago, almost put them out of business.
View Quote
389 now.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:01:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akguy1985] [#15]
Not Freightshaker. The girlfriend says peterbuilts are overrated.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:02:06 PM EDT
[#16]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/145430/1000007577_jpg-3197119.JPG
View Quote

I can see it's a Offroad workhorse,  but I can't believe the ride on improved roads is pleasant!
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:07:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Kenworth for off-road work. I couldn’t tell you about Highway stuff.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By akguy1985:
Not Freightshaker. The girlfriend says peterbuilts are overrated.
View Quote

Freightliners/Navistars are popular with fleets because they are CHEAP. Keep them around for the warranty then dump them on the used truck market.

Volvos are kinda in the middle.

Chrome trucks.....built good but one better be getting good rates, they ain't cheap and they don't get good fuel mileage.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By bgrhammer:

I can see it's a Offroad workhorse,  but I can't believe the ride on improved roads is pleasant!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Load it up heavy enough and it'll unimprove the roads to its liking.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:08:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jackslack] [#20]
No love for Western Stars?

Always kind of liked the looks. That's all I know.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Pre emissions and runs on diesel.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:12:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I thought KW and Peterbuilt were both built by Paccar at the same plant in WA
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:14:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Kubota3430:
View Quote

Think they're made in Texas too, north of Ft Worth.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:18:48 PM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes

Oh, I understand that, but empty I bet you're using every bit of that air ride teddy 🐻!
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Oh, I understand that, but empty I bet you're using every bit of that air ride teddy !
View All Quotes

Oh, I understand that, but empty I bet you're using every bit of that air ride teddy !
You ain't kiddin.  I see them on location, or on a lowboy headed to location, very very rarely on the highway.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:27:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeahhh.
View All Quotes

I think Volvo owns Mack now.
Yeahhh.

Can u explain what pre def elog is?  Is it true the okdervtrucks have more value, is this kinda like restmod?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:29:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Can u explain what pre def elog is?  Is it true the okdervtrucks have more value, is this kinda like restmod?
View Quote
Engines that don't require DEF and chassis that don't have electronic log books.

They're more valuable because they have less bullshit to deal with.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:30:46 PM EDT
[#28]
389 now.
View All Quotes

389 now.

389 is being replaced with the 589
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:31:56 PM EDT
[#29]

Owned by Freightliner, but yes nice looking truck.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:35:42 PM EDT
[#30]
In the last 6 years, I've driven OTR in several T680s, Cascadias, Internationals, and Volvos.  Each has its pros and cons regarding layout if you are a solo driver or teaming/training.  ALL are electrical nightmares now.  If it's not one sensor, it's another fucking over the truck.  I've had three DEF sensor deleted trucks in three years.  That said, for me and what I do which is mostly training, I prefer Volvo or T680.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:35:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gunner76] [#31]

Those were called gliders and I don't think that loophole exists anymore.
View Quote

There is one way to get a glider type truck. You can have what is called an "assembled title", it basically is a newer used truck that is rebuilt with a pre emission motor. There are a couple places in NE doing them and they take 2015-2020 trucks with less than 650,000 miles, drop a reman pre emissions motor in them and sell them for new price. I think they repaint some of the trucks or just leave them as is. I wouldn't go this route myself because unlike a glider kit where everything except the engine(or entire drivetrain if you chose that route)is new these assembled trucks are just used trucks with new engines and new truck prices.

ETA. I used to buy International and had good luck with the 9000 series. A 9900ix set up right looked just as good as an Peterbuilt or KW IMO and had a better interior. Even a 9400 with setback dual tanks and dual exhaust looked good. The newer stuff International puts out is . If I was going to buy a new truck today it would be a Peterbuilt 389, 589, or a KW W900 or W990.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:38:37 PM EDT
[#32]

These were the fleet vehicles at my last employer.  The mechanics hated the emissions systems and the dirty Bastard that introduced bed bugs to the local trucks. He was given chances to clean up his act and timed out. They basically air mailed his final paperwork through the open window of his car. They said as he drove away they could see alot of movement on the items in the cargo area of his vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:39:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MethaneMover] [#33]

Owned by Freightliner, but yes nice looking truck.
View Quote
Huh?  That thing looks like cheech drug it through a JC Whitney catalog.

Kdub, mooch booter.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#34]
If you get into the right groups on Facebook or elsewhere on the internet you hear crazy stories about problems with newer trucks from pretty much all those brands. I don't know if it was the COVID supply chain issues or what but it's pretty scary what can happen with a low mileage new truck.  The general consensus seems to be that the bulk of the problems involve the emissions stuff, but I've seen stories of plenty of other issues as well.

I used to think the ultimate setup might be a new glider kit with a pre-2000 cat engine, but I don't know if that's still possible.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:42:44 PM EDT
[#35]

We have a bunch of Western Star dump trucks at work and they are garbage. Mostly due to the DD13 engines, but the electrical system isn't very user friendly to work on from what I've been told. And some of them have paint that flakes off if you look at it wrong.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:48:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Pete 379s and even the 389s IMHO were nice comfortable rides but the cabs tend to develop leaks and squeaks and rattles in my experience where Kenworth cabs tend to stay tighter longer. I've been driving a 2014 T-800 (that's spent it's life on wind farms and oil field roads) the last couple of days and the cab is still so tight you almost have to crack a window to close the door.

I used to drive this 389, you could drive 700+ miles in a day and not feel like hammered dog shit at the end of the day. However it rattled and squeaked and the 2 piece windshield would develop leaks on the inside.

The T-800 I drive now isn't as comfortable of a ride, too be fair it's also a special built heavy haul truck, even though it's a 2015, the cab is nice and tight with without a bunch of leaks and noise.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:50:55 PM EDT
[#37]
So,is there a market for totally refurbing predef and pre elog trucks, like essentially making a new truck with old vin like people do w 57 chevys
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:51:02 PM EDT
[#38]
There's gotta be some kinda JDM Mitsubishi or something that shits on everything else.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:52:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Seabee_Mech:

The T-800 I drive now isn't as comfortable of a ride, too be fair it's also a special built heavy haul truck, even though it's a 2015, the cab is nice and tight with without a bunch of leaks and noise.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119852/6102-3025797.jpg
View Quote
That's what I drove before I got in the w9, and you're right....those cabs were damn quiet.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:53:30 PM EDT
[#40]
I am a Kenworth fan. I don't like Peterbilt clutch pedals
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:53:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By CMiller:
If you get into the right groups on Facebook or elsewhere on the internet you hear crazy stories about problems with newer trucks from pretty much all those brands. I don't know if it was the COVID supply chain issues or what but it's pretty scary what can happen with a low mileage new truck.  The general consensus seems to be that the bulk of the problems involve the emissions stuff, but I've seen stories of plenty of other issues as well.

I used to think the ultimate setup might be a new glider kit with a pre-2000 cat engine, but I don't know if that's still possible.
View Quote

Scary yeah. You go broke and into bankruptcy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:53:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By gunner76:

We have a bunch of Western Star dump trucks at work and they are garbage. Mostly due to the DD13 engines, but the electrical system isn't very user friendly to work on from what I've been told. And some of them have paint that flakes off if you look at it wrong.
View Quote
We have a bunch of Western Stars that we use for counter weight trucks. The dash looks like they bought out all the cheap gauges from JC Whitney when they went out of business. Absolutely the cheapest shitty cabs of any trucks in our fleet..
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:55:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Transmissions are the same, rear-ends are the same, motors are about the same. Buy a used glider, make isn't that important, just stay away from the red motors. Really want to spend money,? Buy a new Pete with a X15 and trade in for new every 2 years. I hope you're making more than $3/mile.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:55:52 PM EDT
[#44]
389 now.
View All Quotes

389 now.

589 now. 389 phased out end of 2023.

I build & sell Peterbilt’s

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Kubota3430:
View Quote

Separate companies in different locations owned by the same parent company Paccar
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:59:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MethaneMover] [#46]
Originally Posted By AZC:

I build & sell Peterbilt's

View All Quotes

389 now.

Cool!  Spec'd any heavy haul stuff lately?  Double frame, aux box, geared hubs... other things Ive never heard of before?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Volvo owns Mac
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#48]

I build & sell Peterbilt’s

View Quote

What is the difference? Why iscit better than the more aerodynamic shaped truck with nose?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:02:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Cool!  Spec'd any heavy haul stuff lately?  Double frame, aux box, geared hubs... other things Ive never heard of before?
View All Quotes

389 now.

Just did a 589 HH with a 20k pusher for a company in Utah. Submitted the order today. She’s spec’d for up to 180k without a aux trans. X15/18SPM trans 44”sleeper.

200k + for aux trans.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:03:46 PM EDT
[#50]

What is the difference? Why iscit better than the more aerodynamic shaped truck with nose?
View Quote

Wider cab, better aero. EPA mandated.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top