Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2024 2:21:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Brok3n]
True Velocity sues Sig Sauer, alleging stolen trade secrets

True Velocity Ammunition and sister company Lone Star Future Weapons sued gunmaker Sig Sauer, alleging the company stole trade secrets.

The companies are competing against each other to produce the U.S. Army's Next-Generation Squad Weapon worth an estimated $4.5 billion. Sig Sauer won that competition in April 2022. Those first weapons from Sig Sauer were delivered to soldiers from the 101st Airborne Division at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, last month.

The complaint filed on April 9 in Vermont Superior Court lays out True Velocity's claim that Sig Sauer "brazenly and wrongfully misappropriated Plaintiff's trade secrets to obtain an unfair competitive advantage..

At the heart of the LMMG is a proprietary "revolutionary mitigation system called Short Recoil Impulse Averaging (SRIA)," according to the complaint. "Historically, mitigating recoil forces of machine guns require either adding mass to a weapon systems or length to a receiver," the document explains. "The SRIA technology advanced by GD-OTS and Plaintiff reduces recoil without increasing the weapon's mass or receiver length."
View Quote

https://www.defensenews.com/land/2024/04/17/true-velocity-sues-sig-sauer-alleging-stolen-trade-secrets/

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:25:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Beretta_Jerry] [#1]
Krishna will avenge!

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:53:55 AM EDT
[#2]
…I somehow doubt that a big, established player in the small arms world with a massive R&D branch stole tech from a newcomer pushing for an entirely different cartridge design.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:40:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jough43] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rb889:
…I somehow doubt that a big, established player in the small arms world with a massive R&D branch stole tech from a newcomer pushing for an entirely different cartridge design.
View Quote

You might be wrong.

Sig Sauer ammo was formed entirely by Remington ammo engineers and managers that defected to start Sig.
They stole most all of Remington's designs and internal specs.  It was a huge intellectual property theft.
Remington, now owned by Vista, is still pissed about it.  The plants are less than 20 miles apart.

This happened roughly 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:47:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By jough43:

You might be wrong.

Sig Sauer ammo was formed entirely by Remington ammo engineers and managers that defected to start Sig.
They stole most all of Remington's designs and internal specs.  It was a huge intellectual property theft.
Remington, now owned by Vista, is still pissed about it.  The plants are less than 20 miles apart.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You might be wrong.

I've seen larger medical companies work with smaller companies on the guise of partnering or acquiring the small company, then once they get far enough along in "negotiations" to be shown the secrets they bail and make their own version.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:49:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By green_bullet:

I've seen larger medical companies work with smaller companies on the guise of partnering or acquiring the small company, then once they get far enough along in "negotiations" to be shown the secrets they bail and make their own version.
View Quote

Like Jobs & Gates
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:06:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like a retained knowledge problem. Sig poached their employees, but if there was no non-compete thats not necessarily a problem.  The employees surely had NDAs with TV, which they may (or may not) not have directly violated when they went to Sig. Independent development is a thing, and if its just a trade secret, nothing prevents Sig from independently pursuing a similar product.  But if Sig was engaging in its own program, similar in scope to the TV trade secrets, those employees could have helped Sig  - not by directly sharing the trade secrets of TV, but through use of general retained knowledge of certain things that work and don't work which are not part of the trade secrets.

I'm no trade secret lawyer though, so not sure the caselaw on that or how it works out in court.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:11:27 AM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes

You might be wrong.

It's a thing in the corporate world...... espionage is real
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:24:13 AM EDT
[#8]
This is a tough one to dig into, because there's not much information out there on  "Short Recoil Impulse Averaging (SRIA)" in recent news or from SRIA...

Here's a 2012 patent from General Dynamics on it, and a writeup on a MMG they were offering up at the time, which actually looks a lot like SIG's current offering

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20130047833A1/en

https://modernfirearms.net/en/machineguns/u-s-a-machineguns/lwmmg-eng/

I'm still not wrapping my brain around the tech I don't think. They're letting an inner receiver assembly (BGC, Barrel/extension, gas system) slide back and forth in a separate outer receiver housing? Is that right?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:25:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Would be a real hoot if Sig went out of business but I know they wont.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:27:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By arr199:
This is a tough one to dig into, because there's not much information out there on  "Short Recoil Impulse Averaging (SRIA)" in recent news or from SRIA...

Here's a 2012 patent from General Dynamics on it, and a writeup on a MMG they were offering up at the time, which actually looks a lot like SIG's current offering

I'm still not wrapping my brain around the tech I don't think. They're letting an inner receiver assembly (BGC, Barrel/extension, gas system) slide back and forth in a separate outer receiver housing? Is that right?
View Quote

Sounds like your garden variety M1919 or M2 to me if that's the case..
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:49:50 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

You believe large corporations are full of innovation and new ideas?
A majority of tech comes from small companies that get bought out by big companies. It’s absolutely believable Sig would copy a small company’s technology.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

I believe that True Velocity acquired the GD design/patents.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:17:08 AM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

This happens all the time.  Industrial Espionage
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:21:13 AM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

So it's a slidefire
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:21:46 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Depends on what tech was shared by said startup with the big gorilla in the room.  It definitely could be stolen tech.  Hope they had NDAs in place.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:23:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Fuck Josh Cohen.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:25:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:

View Quote
Barrett M107 has a similar setup.

Does the SIG rifle barrel move during recoil?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:40:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:

Nah, the Spear is just a beefy AR-18. Pretty sure the MG does tho
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:46:04 AM EDT
[#19]
4.6 Billion for a LMG replacment....
Is it plasma?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:54:04 AM EDT
[#20]

You might be wrong.

View Quote

well that explains why Sig ammo sucks.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Pallas:
Fuck Josh Cohen.
View Quote

You mean Ron Cohen?

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:20:21 AM EDT
[#22]
So, reading that whole article, then looking at the 2012 GD LMMG, then Sig's 2017 MG 338, then at their XM250, I would say that True Velocity has a pretty solid case for IP theft here.

GD's 2016 writeup on the system is pretty neat

https://ndiastorage.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/ndia/2016/armament/18356_Gudmundsen.pdf

1800+m effective range in an m240 size, felt recoil, and weight footprint is pretty compelling if it's not all marketing fluff.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm not sure how True Velocity is going to prove its case but it at least gives us some insight into Sigs recruiting practices
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:23:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

You might be wrong.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:29:56 AM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

Except the part where the Brownings are only recoil-operated and not a hybrid of recoil and gas, as the description seems to imply.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top