Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2023 11:20:17 PM EDT
Looking to try new things. I've smoked brisket, pork shoulders, pork butt, pork chops and fish. Anything unusual y'all have smoked that turned out better than expected?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:54:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bootleg15] [#1]
Pork belly. I've made bacon but this is not bacon and it's delicious. I made it using a WSM and then finished on a Weber Kettle using cherry wood and Cowboy briquets.
BBQ Pork Belly
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 5:58:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Cheese.
Salt.
Cured goose breast.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 6:34:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Cream Cheese
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 6:45:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Chili

The beans suck up the smoke flavor and really make the dish.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 9:23:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By OverScoped:
Chili

The beans suck up the smoke flavor and really make the dish.
View Quote

That’s bait.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 10:17:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TNZ71] [#6]
I injected and smoked a whole Turkey breast last year before the 4th and sliced for sandwiches to snack on. My grown kids loved it. I've also spatchcocked whole chickens (fryers mainly not hens)

Heath Riles shows how it's done
Spatchcock Chicken | Gateway Drum Smoker | Heath Riles

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 10:25:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I like to smoke potatoes and make smoked mashed potatoes. Cut them in half, cover in olive oil, salt, pepper, or the seasoning of your choice.  If they are very large, I parboil for 15 min then smoke.  I've never had a batch come out bad.  Usually cook with ribs at the same time, so 4hrs at 225. Time varies on the size and shape of the potatoes. Google for recipes.

Also - smoked turkey legs are awesome.  Taste better than the overpriced ones at the theme parks, etc.

Don't forget about smoking nuts of any variety.

I even smoke pre-cooked spiral cut ham for the holidays, as well as all my turkeys.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 3:39:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 12:34:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shinji_Ikari] [#9]
Over the top chili.

https://biggreenegg.com/recipes/over-the-top-chili/

Use this as the framework.  NOTE: the coffee they suggest is stout, first time I made it I followed the recipe ver batum, and did not like it.  The coffee is stout plus I do not like coffee

Actually am doing this today.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 1:10:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Also a smoked pot roast.  Same concept as the over the top chili.

Only big difference is I like to sear the pot roast at about 550 degrees before putting it up top.

Also, did anyone mention poor mans burnt ends?
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Meatloaf.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 8:24:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sak_253:

Smoking a whole gator

Haven't done it yet but this has been a topic a couple of buddies, and I have been kicking around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0yOoyJSLZI
View Quote

We had this recently at a local joint. They smoked the whole gator, then chunked the meat up and served it in a cream cheese sauce, so you could absolutely not taste the gator. It was delicious.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 11:56:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I smoked a beef roast (rolled rump roast maybe?) once, my wife was working late. I sliced it thin and made smoked roast beef sandwiches. The kids devoured it, like all of it. Mom got home and they couldn't stop talking about how good dinner was. I need to do that again...
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I havent, mainly bc im afraid that if my fam finds out that Im cooking tongue or cheek meat, but I want to cook those.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 1:30:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I use the pioneer womans italian meatloaf recipe, then smoke it.  Family loves it, and it's in the regular rotation.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Cheez its
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:24:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Chili
Cheeses
Beef tongue
Pork belly
Green bean casserole
"Frog" turkey
Spatchcocked chicken / turkey
Cornish game hens
Stuffed bell peppers
Meatloaf
Bratwurst popper boats
"Shotgun shells"
Salmon filets
Smoked sea salt
All sorts of veggies
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:13:48 AM EDT
[#18]
As I have a Recteq with a smoke box, I can do colder smokes. Done plenty of cheeses which isn't abnormal. Mozzarella is the best of all of the ones I've tried, with pepperjack coming a close second.

But the most unusual with that would be...nuts. Cashews came out excellent smoked. Pecans too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Tri-tip if you can find them.  If not you can get them i've ordered them from Wildforks online.  Reverse sear and cut thin.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 3:01:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Eggs for deviled eggs.
Mac & Cheese
Nuts
Fruit (apple slices, lemon slices)
Veggies
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top