BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:25:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Compared to even a PSA AR, they are an inferior weapon. But cool as hell.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:50:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SteveOak:
Browning BDA 380
View Quote

Not really useless.  They shoot well and have a very comfortable grip. My wife prefers shooting one to a Glock.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:58:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Makarov:

Interesting.

I don’t own one but I personally view the Heritage offerings (other than the 16” barrel) to be one of the more “useful” new guns on the market. I’ve seen them at the range and they seem to go bang every time with acceptable accuracy. I can envision a lot of real world applications as a working man’s gun.

I’m planning on adding one to the survival kit I take along when boating/paddling around in the 10,000 islands (extreme SW Florida).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Threefingers:
Heritage .22 revolver.
Someday I want an extra useless 16in version.

Interesting.

I don’t own one but I personally view the Heritage offerings (other than the 16” barrel) to be one of the more “useful” new guns on the market. I’ve seen them at the range and they seem to go bang every time with acceptable accuracy. I can envision a lot of real world applications as a working man’s gun.

I’m planning on adding one to the survival kit I take along when boating/paddling around in the 10,000 islands (extreme SW Florida).

they work just fine.  however, the screws tend to back out so if you've got one i'd check them all regularly or blue loctite their asses.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:44:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I need to shoot my Dad's Blackhawk in .30 Carbine and my CZ-52 in 7.62x25 to see which one has the bigger muzzle blast. Preferably at night.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Other than a couple of guns I use for concealed carry, the rest of my guns are "useless" other than for toys.

There are only 3 viable "reasons" I can think of for guns to be considered what most people would categorize as not-useless.

1) Your duty weapon for work
2) Personal defense
3) Hunting for food
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:25:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Charlie556] [#6]
Kurt Russel made me buy one of these.
Attachment Attached File

It was about as much fun as you could have with your pants on. It came with 4 mags and must have been the only one made that never jammed or stuttered on any ammo I fed it except for HP. I traded it for a Russian SKS after a couple of years of playing with it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:26:04 AM EDT
[#7]
If firearm can reliably push out projectiles from it's muzzle accurately and reliablly, there is no such decription as "useless" IMO.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:27:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Works great but I haven't shot it in years. It's just too easy to clean out my shot
shell collection.

Attachment Attached File

Pistol caliber semi-auto rifles. Kind of fun but basically useless. For defense, I'll take a rifle caliber AR15 pistol or rifle.

Attachment Attached File

Seemed like a good idea at the time. I haven't shot it in years and have lost interest in it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:27:28 AM EDT
[#9]
CP33

No idea why. Regretted it since the first range trip.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:28:01 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Those are far from useless. They are also beautiful.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#11]
The can cannon. Useless and the most fun of anything I own.

Can Cannon arches full soda 100 yards,
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:34:37 AM EDT
[#12]
M203. Can’t even get the good stuff but it’s something I’ve always wanted and had to have.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:34:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By pukindog:
Really to me, that's the only reason I buy so many guns - fun to shoot.

I have enough guns for every practical purpose in the world. That does not stop me from buying more.
View Quote

This^

I guess if I had to pick; I have an old Savage bolt action Model 23 from the 1920’s in .25-20.

It really serves no purpose other than being a cool old gun to shoot. I suppose it would be a useful varmint rifle at moderate ranges, but I don’t have any to plug around here.

Nothing it does can’t be handled by a .22 or .223….
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:35:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TheBeaverRetriever:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/238591/1000010498_jpg-3198743.JPG

The Magnum Research BFR in 45-70 isn't entirely useless per se, it's just a handful. More of a range toy with my other choices above.
View Quote

I knew there would be one!
I love reloading for it and shooting it but not real practical for anything else.
I have carried it deer hunting a few times.

Those are some sweet Levers also.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:38:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JKH62:
I was going to say a gun that does not actually fire is useless except I have one (1) of those and it is useful...........

Enfield drill rifle as 3rd tripod leg ~

https://i.imgur.com/I7Nn4xn.jpg
View Quote

Thank you.  It is GD pictures like this that convinces me that I can put off straightening up the gun stuff corner of my garage for another week (or month)...
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:39:38 AM EDT
[#16]
I pretty much bought it because of Blade Runner.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:44:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Deagle .50
KSG

I regret selling the deagle.  I don’t miss the KSG.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:50:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By terryj:
AMT Automag II
View Quote

A friend had one. Did a DIY trigger job on it. Asked if I wanted to shoot it, I of course said yes. Picked it up, inserted mag, racked the slide and started to bring it up on target. Trigger finger was still outside of the trigger guard.  Pad of my finger just touched the edge of the trigger as I was sighting and the gun fired....  To sensitive for me....

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:56:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Winchester 1894 saddle ring carbine in 30-30 - Going on 100 years old, still shoots well (if you use 170gr), and is still beautiful.  Never shoot it anymore.  Got to take it to the range one day and put the remaining 10 boxes of 30-30 through it sell it.  

Braced 11" AR - Built the upper because I got a screaming deal on the braced lower (long before the ATF BS).  Not much more useful than a regular 16", IMHO.

Stainless bull barrel 10/22 - I hate the mags and controls, it is very accurate, but I just don't shoot much .22.

Ruger bull barrel target .22 - Sold it - just don't shoot much .22.

Starting to waiver on the Grendels.  Super accurate, but the ammo is ridiculous now, even if you can find it. I have to decide if it worth keeping basically a handload only gun.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By mbg0001:

I passed on an used AMT Automag II from a pawn shop in the early 2000's, and regretted it for a while.  I liked the concept of a semi auto 22 mag.

Fast forward to a few years ago, and I picked up a Kel-Tek PMR-30.  

Like most Kel-Tek products, great concept, piss poor implementation.  Plastic flexes too much, the mag catch has too much slop for reliable feeding, and the feed ramp is rough plastic instead of something metal.   I couldn't get it to cycle a full mag reliably.  

About a year ago, I ordered the M*Carbo upgrade kit, which addressed all those issues.  It takes a full tear down to install everything, and makes you realize how much of the gun's operations require a very slight nub of plastic on the frame for everything to work correctly.

Now, it will cycle a full mag reliably, IF you load it 100% perfect.  Insert a single round slightly off, and it will jam.

So, $350 for the gun (now priced at $370), plus another $140 for the upgrade kit (now priced at $250) for a finicky range toy that still feels like it's going to break in my hand.  For the $490 I put into it, mildly annoyed.  If I had to replace it for $620, well fuck that.
View Quote

Odd, mine has been flawless, as is the CMR30.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By AK-12:

Anyone recommending a Glock over a CZ-75 variant is not someone whose recommendations are worth consideration.

There are a few reasons it is one of the most widely copied and cloned pistols ever made, and none of them are that it sucks.
View Quote

That may have been true 20 years ago when Glock still had patents   today the Glock is likely the most copied.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#22]
The thing on the bottom.  Nothing but an expensive novelty.  Still waiting on can to clear.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:26:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Ambridge77:
Still trying to sell myself on my KSG.
View Quote

My buddy has one that he picked up at the height of the last panic.

He paid $1400 for it.
It's entirely a novelty gun.

That said, I told him I'll buy it off him cheap when he's gambled all his money away
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Heritage .22 revolver.
View Quote

All heritage guns are awesome. I even have the rancher carbine.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:34:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Keep tec plr22.  I bet I haven’t shot 50 rounds through it.  It’s just dumb.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:37:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By JaredC1:
Saiga 12 and the Akdal.

No idea why I thought it would be fun to have. Tried to sell a few times now but short of almost giving them away, no one wants them.
View Quote

No buyers? That's a bit disappointing. I enjoy shooting my Saiga 12, but it's one of the next to go, when I have the time, as I'm downsizing my collection.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:40:20 AM EDT
[#27]

I remember a local shop (nowhere near a ban state) having half a rack of those 20-years-ago. IIRC, they were just $200 when you could get an SAR or WASR for $299. They were there for years.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:51:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By tac556:

Those can indeed be useless.  Safed one once in evidence, where the cartridge in the chamber was not fired, no firing pin dent, yet the striker was not cocked.  The deceased owner had tried to use it to defend himself in a shootout with a gang rival situation, but apparently it did not function…. Basically the same thing you experience.

Moral of the story- carry a reliable firearm.  Might keep you alive…
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tac556:
Originally Posted By Clockwork138:
Someone gave me this.
https://i.imgur.com/ABVjU6N.jpg
The trigger doesn't always function. The firing pin gets stuck (in both positions). I haven't shot it and I probably won't.

Those can indeed be useless.  Safed one once in evidence, where the cartridge in the chamber was not fired, no firing pin dent, yet the striker was not cocked.  The deceased owner had tried to use it to defend himself in a shootout with a gang rival situation, but apparently it did not function…. Basically the same thing you experience.

Moral of the story- carry a reliable firearm.  Might keep you alive…

The guy who gave it to me claimed it fired but always failed to extract. I immediately diagnosed the cause of that.

Based on the issues I'm having just function checking it, he evidently didn't shoot it much. I've disassembled it a few times to try to remedy the issues. The trigger bar to sear cam engagement is sketchy at best.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By terryj:
AMT Automag II
View Quote

Coworker has one in 30 carbine. It's fun as hell to fire. Accurate as hell also.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:57:22 AM EDT
[#30]

Interesting.

View All Quotes
Heritage .22 revolver.

Interesting.

I have a barkeep. It’s a giant piece of useless shit. Doesn’t matter what u feed it, can’t hit the broad side of a barn at 12 feet.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:08:51 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Perfect gun for this topic! I love it and would buy one as well!
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:11:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Laid off 4 days before Christmas...I said f it & bought this 50...
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:13:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By JaredC1:
Saiga 12 and the Akdal.

No idea why I thought it would be fun to have. Tried to sell a few times now but short of almost giving them away, no one wants them.
View Quote

Love my Saiga 12.  Granted, it was a $600 gun with $1300 worth of parts and work done to it.  But in the end I kept it and sold the Benelli M3 and Browning A5 because of it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:15:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By pukindog:
Really to me, that's the only reason I buy so many guns - fun to shoot.

I have enough guns for every practical purpose in the world. That does not stop me from buying more.
View Quote

I'm done buying guns.  But there is a slip of paper in my wallet with three revolvers listed...

Paladin
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:25:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:31:27 PM EDT
[#36]

About six buds and I did a group buy for these at $90 each 35 years ago ... Trigger is about 15 pounds , my brother did a "trigger job" on his and got it down to around 8 pounds.

Mine breaks open after firing on its own for fast reloads I guess
Have shot it 5 time ... it will take 45 long colt also ... defiantly a last option gun
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:33:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Gone_rabid:
https://i.ibb.co/sQKrqf3/IMG-3348.jpg

Deagle .50ae
View Quote

Yep. My most worthless purchase also.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By stgdz:

That may have been true 20 years ago when Glock still had patents   today the Glock is likely the most copied.
View Quote

No, it's definitely still one of the most widely copied and cloned-and used in competition too.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:37:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Wyoming Arms Parker in 10MM.

Likely put together by monkeys, it's never worked right.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#40]

Years ago, I picked up an early production MPA for $2 (the price of the BG check) from an FFL friend. He had taken it in as part of an estate purchase. The problem was that the only people who wanted to buy it couldn’t pass the background check . In addition, somebody had been tinkering with the innards. I don’t think they were trying to make it full-auto, just trying to relieve that horrible trigger slap. I pulled the parts out and everything had evidence of grinding and polishing. As a result, the gun would typically fire two rounds and then jam. I called MPA and they sold me a complete FCG replacement set. Then I fucked-up the barreled upper trying to install a rail so I had to buy a replacement. A lot of work, a lot of grief but eventually, I ended up with a 100% reliable tack-driver. I liked it so much, I sprung for a stamp and SBR’d it. So, I got a “FREE” gun for just about double the MSRP
View Quote

Nice, mine shot well reliability wise. The trigger was descent and it has a rail from the factory. Just gotta get it zeroed. My old eyes see the rear sight as a blur so gonna use a laser to help.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#41]
I have had, and still have, plenty of "useless" guns that I enjoy.  I see lots of NAA revolvers - I got the smallest one, the 22 short.  I happen to love 22 short and my NAA generally does get shot once a year.  I like 25 ACP guns and kind of considered them useless until I got an OWA (made in Austria after WW1 when there was plenty of gunmaking talent and no work to do) - it shoots extremely well and moved the curve on what I thought reliability and accuracy was on 25 ACP pocket guns.

I did have several no-ammo bolt actions from the late 1800's and I sent all those to auction back in the late winter.  I couldn't shoot them, didn't want to specialty-reload for just a few shots, or spend 100's of dollars on unshootable ammo so they all got the axe.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#42]
I think the only reason I wanted this was for the middle finger factor of two rounds with a single pull of the trigger.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:17:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By dneal33:
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/nn240/dneal33/001_zpsea090ee2.jpg" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/nn240/dneal33/001_zpsea090ee2.jpg
About six buds and I did a group buy for these at $90 each 35 years ago ... Trigger is about 15 pounds , my brother did a "trigger job" on his and got it down to around 8 pounds.

Have shot it 5 time ... it will take 45 long colt also ... defiantly a last option gun
View All Quotes
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/nn240/dneal33/001_zpsea090ee2.jpg" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/nn240/dneal33/001_zpsea090ee2.jpg

I have one of those.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Attachment Attached File

Got it several years ago when Rural King had them on sale. Still haven’t fired it
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:32:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:
Originally Posted By mbg0001:

I passed on an used AMT Automag II from a pawn shop in the early 2000's, and regretted it for a while.  I liked the concept of a semi auto 22 mag.

Fast forward to a few years ago, and I picked up a Kel-Tek PMR-30.  

Like most Kel-Tek products, great concept, piss poor implementation.  Plastic flexes too much, the mag catch has too much slop for reliable feeding, and the feed ramp is rough plastic instead of something metal.   I couldn't get it to cycle a full mag reliably.  

About a year ago, I ordered the M*Carbo upgrade kit, which addressed all those issues.  It takes a full tear down to install everything, and makes you realize how much of the gun's operations require a very slight nub of plastic on the frame for everything to work correctly.

Now, it will cycle a full mag reliably, IF you load it 100% perfect.  Insert a single round slightly off, and it will jam.

So, $350 for the gun (now priced at $370), plus another $140 for the upgrade kit (now priced at $250) for a finicky range toy that still feels like it's going to break in my hand.  For the $490 I put into it, mildly annoyed.  If I had to replace it for $620, well fuck that.

Flawless from the factory, or did you have to do some upgrades / polishing to get them to perform?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:34:47 PM EDT
[#47]
One of the better things about being a poor is one has to be VERY careful on what one spends one's money on.

That eliminates, for me at least, dumb gun purchases. I've bought what turned out to be duds, sure, but no "dumb" guns.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:38:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Carpe_Carp] [#48]
Long-barrel Idiot Gun from Ducktown, Tennessee  (Leinad)

Sometime - back around 2000 I think - I bought one of these at a rural gun show. Can't recall the exact price, but it was under $100.  Shot it just enough to know that it was a truly painful experience. I remember at the time I thought it might be good for killing snakes or hunting squirrels.

I sort of wish I'd kept it.  The thing was so butt-ugly that it was beautiful.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#49]

Having been a kid of the '90s, I want one for the T2 effect. I missed out on the cheap Norinco copies, though.
View All Quotes

Having been a kid of the '90s, I want one for the T2 effect. I missed out on the cheap Norinco copies, though.
@Clockwork138

Mine is a new Cimarron Arms.  

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/1887-lever-action-shotgun-terminator-12-ga-20-barrel.html
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:08:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SPARKY4] [#50]
ETA.  Just reread title and noticed the “had to have part”.  Removed stuff I inherited, and left only items I bought in my own.

Whatever Keltec stuff that has succeeded in hiding from me in the back of my safe so as not to get sold/traded.  Although I will keep my PMR 30.  Great for making muzzle flash at indoor ranges.

Masterpiece arms pistol that I FreeBR’d.  

Masterpiece arms rifle.

I would say my Tec-22 scorpion, but it has been great at getting me to practice clearing jams.  So I guess it has a purpose.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top