Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2024 4:09:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KA3B]
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:59:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Let me guess: Investigation ongoing to the cause, but hell, we gotta fly them.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:35:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CFII:
View Quote

Contractors are P.O.'d that they aren't making any money off of spares or repairs.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By CFII:
View Quote

They said it was failure of a critical part but wouldn’t say what part it is.  Said they inspected other parts in service and found no similar problems thus the lifting of the grounding.  Investigation ongoing to figure out why the part failed and shorter inspection intervals on said parts in service until they figure it out.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:19:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Morgan321:

They said it was failure of a critical part but wouldn’t say what part it is.  Said they inspected other parts in service and found no similar problems thus the lifting of the grounding.  Investigation ongoing to figure out why the part failed and shorter inspection intervals on said parts in service until they figure it out.  
View Quote

Yea, I read that. I also dont believe anything anymore. Are the hard clutch engagements fixed?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:07:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm by no means a V-22 expert, but as a helicopter pilot the V-22 design has always appeared to be a low margin design. Single points of failure combined with VRS and settling with power (over pitching) issues. Sure, it does cool stuff, but nothing is free. What it is capable of doing comes with some unique risks.

I'd love to see some statistics on V-22 accidents. Bet 90% of them fall into the aforementioned categories of single point failures and VRS/settling.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:17:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By aa777888-2:
V-22 design has always appeared to be a low margin design. Single points of failure combined with VRS and settling with power (over pitching) issues.

I'd love to see some statistics on V-22 accidents. Bet 90% of them fall into the aforementioned categories of single point failures and VRS/settling.
View Quote

Beyond the rotors and gearboxes, what single points of failure are there on an osprey?  
Keep in mind that rotors and gearboxes are single points of failure on all helicopters.  

Accident statistics can be made to support nearly any position that you want.  Using them in isolation is what people who are lazy, incompetent, or have an ulterior motive do.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top