Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2023 11:57:30 AM EDT
Ok, so I treat want to love this thing. It wasn’t expensive, and the blades are cheap and last forever. It pretty much cleans itself out as you shave vs the other razors getting clogged up with whiskers every second stroke.

But I’ll be damned if I don’t look like had a knife fight after I shave with it. At first I thought it was because I was a noob with safety razors. But nope, I’ve been using it for months and even when I’m really careful I get cuts.

Maybe it’s partially the shape of my face?

It happens if I soften up my skin with a hot shower or if I just shave cold.

So my question: is there a razor that has cheap blade that last forever, like a safety razor, but doesn’t cut the F out of your face?

It’s been 15 years since I used an electric razor. Have they improved?  No matter which electric razor I bought, no matter how expensive, it would never cut close enough to my skin. I could never get that clean shaven feel.  

Thank you all!
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Henson. And be sure you are using no pressure with the Vanderhagen or any safety razor for that matter
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 12:38:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Try a different blade in it. You will be surprised at how differently various blades shave, even from the same razor.

As an example, if I use Feather blades I look like tried to shave with an angle grinder.
Same razor but with an Astra or Voskhod blade and I get a clean close shave with no nicks.

Link Posted: 3/1/2023 12:48:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 98Redline:
Try a different blade in it. You will be surprised at how differently various blades shave, even from the same razor.

As an example, if I use Feather blades I look like tried to shave with an angle grinder.
Same razor but with an Astra or Voskhod blade and I get a clean close shave with no nicks.

View Quote

I just ordered some Astra’s so I’ll see how it goes.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 12:49:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By kaufdrop:
Henson. And be sure you are using no pressure with the Vanderhagen or any safety razor for that matter
View Quote

Yes, I’ve tried it as softly as I can, but there are just certain areas where I have to press a little harder.

I think I have really soft skin that gets tore up easily.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 1:32:45 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote
This is the answer.  I love Feather blades but only use them in some of the 15 or so safety razors I have.  Astra blades are very forgiving but do a decent job.  Polsilver SI combines the best of two worlds... almost as sharp as Feathers but a little less forgiving that Astras.  Unfortunately it looks like the SIs are no longer available so I'm hoarding my last 50 carefully.

Link Posted: 3/1/2023 1:42:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Johnny7] [#6]
Astra's work great for me, what I did was order a variety pack like below and worked through it until I found the right one. There are many different ones so you can shop around

Variety pack
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 2:13:50 PM EDT
[#7]
OP, safety razors can have different levels of aggressiveness.  

Try to find a vintage Gillette Super Speed.  Something like the one below is from 1947.  I mostly use one from 1953.  Not aggressive and will still give a good shave.  How do you prepare your face, what shaving cream/soap?

Anyway, these are generally on ebay for cheap.  I've been using the Personna Double Edge blades.  I believe they're still made in the USA.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 2:34:37 PM EDT
[#8]
@cb4017
Those shark blades shown in your image are trash. Doesn't matter what razor or head I use, they suck in them all.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#9]
@cb4017
Those shark blades shown in your image are trash. Doesn't matter what razor or head I use, they suck in them all.
View Quote

Yea, don't use them.  That was a pic I grabbed off the interweb to show the razor.  As I mentioned I've been using Personna Blue with good results.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you guys!  I didn’t realize there were different blades. I’m excited to try them.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Johnny7:
Astra's work great for me, what I did was order a variety pack like below and worked through it until I found the right one. There are many different ones so you can shop around

Variety pack
View Quote

Yep, definitely get a variety pack and try different blades. That's what I did after I got my first DE razor, a Wilkinson butterfly. The Wilkinson blades and the Astra Superior Premium Platinum are my favorites in that razor. Persona Platinums aren't bad either. But, Feathers scalp me every time with that razor.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 5:34:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I held the van ser Hagen- it wasn’t for me felt way too light and small. And I don’t really care for butterfly razors, I like 3 piece.

Definitely blades make most the difference in comfort, but a different razor will have different geometry and offer more or less aggressive shaves, adjustable razors can be good too, dial them up or down to adjust the feel.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 5:39:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Ef4life:
I held the van ser Hagen- it wasn’t for me felt way too light and small. And I don’t really care for butterfly razors, I like 3 piece.

Definitely blades make most the difference in comfort, but a different razor will have different geometry and offer more or less aggressive shaves, adjustable razors can be good too, dial them up or down to adjust the feel.
View Quote

That's definitely true. I just shaved with a Muhle I got awhile back and nicked my face all up. Totally different angles than the Wilkinson I normally use. Funny, it's a model Muhle advertises as less aggressive too...
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 6:12:31 PM EDT
[#14]
@aiwb pm me your address and I'll send you some blades to try out
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 6:59:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By cb4017:

Try to find a vintage Gillette Super Speed.  Something like the one below is from 1947.  I mostly use one from 1953.  Not aggressive and will still give a good shave.  How do you prepare your face, what shaving cream/soap?

Anyway, these are generally on ebay for cheap.  I've been using the Personna Double Edge blades.  I believe they're still made in the USA.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45352/47ss09__Medium__JPG-2729867.JPG
View Quote
1953 version is what's next to my sink todau.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 10:13:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Could be a crap razor. If you want to try an affordable quality razor, the Merkur 34 HD would be a good choice.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 11:59:28 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Awesome man, thank you!
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:03:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By AIWB:

Awesome man, thank you!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Awesome man, thank you!
Glad to do it. Hope it helps. I still think you should order a Henson to try out!
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:06:36 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

this.  work on your angle and let the weight of the blade do the work even if you have to pass over an area more than once.  

could try another razor or blades too but I'd start there.  I sometimes go too fast or press too hard with my Muhle and same thing happens.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By MoonDancer:
This is the answer.  I love Feather blades but only use them in some of the 15 or so safety razors I have.  Astra blades are very forgiving but do a decent job.  Polsilver SI combines the best of two worlds... almost as sharp as Feathers but a little less forgiving that Astras.  Unfortunately it looks like the SIs are no longer available so I'm hoarding my last 50 carefully.

View Quote
@moondancer I believe Wizamets are the new polsilver and they are readily available. Fantastic blades
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:59:59 PM EDT
[#21]
@moondancer I believe Wizamets are the new polsilver and they are readily available. Fantastic blades
View Quote
Thanks.  I'll pick some up and see how they compare.  I hope you're right as the Polsilvers work exceptionally well in almost all of my razors.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 3:01:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Glad to do it. Hope it helps. I still think you should order a Henson to try out!
View Quote

I got to the mail today and they were there!  Thank you.

Unfortunately a neighborhood child accidentally stepped on our two pound Shit Tzu puppy and we spent some time at the vet getting her checked out so I’m way too tired to try them out.

Hopefully tomorrow. Thank you again!
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Im assuming you used the VDH blades that came with it. If you see VDHs advertising the individual has no problem hold the blade by the edge and not by the sides.

Definitely try different blades but id just upgrade to a Merkur razor since they are affordable yet still work efficiently
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By cb4017:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45352/47ss09__Medium__JPG-2729867.JPG
View Quote

All of this! I have a Merkur 34C I bought new that gives me a good shave but I easily cut myself with. I also have a 1950s made Gillette Super Speed that gives me a good shave and I rarely cut myself with. I prefer Personna blades in the red pack and almost exclusively use the Super Speed. Finding a good cream or soap is important as well.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 4:47:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By JKnight:

All of this! I have a Merkur 34C I bought new that gives me a good shave but I easily cut myself with. I also have a 1950s made Gillette Super Speed that gives me a good shave and I rarely cut myself with. I prefer Personna blades in the red pack and almost exclusively use the Super Speed. Finding a good cream or soap is important as well.
View Quote
Creams or soaps are vitally important for a close nick-free shave.
I prefer Mitchell's Wool Fat, Arko stick, Tabac, and Cella Crema soaps, in that order.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#26]
@kaufdrop Holy cow!  Thank you man!  I just opened the package you sent. There are like a thousand different razors in here!  These will last me forever lol.

I was going to do a shave off between them but it’ll take me so long I’m not sure I’ll be about to do it lol.

I started off with the Gillette blue silver and it’s already a step up from the Van Der Hagens.

Thank you again!!
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#27]
@kaufdrop Holy cow!  Thank you man!  I just opened the package you sent. There are like a thousand different razors in here!  These will last me forever lol.

I was going to do a shave off between them but it'll take me so long I'm not sure I'll be about to do it lol.

I started off with the Gillette blue silver and it's already a step up from the Van Der Hagens.

Thank you again!!
View Quote
@AIWB You're welcome. Hopefully you can find one you like in that mix. I tried to include a good mix of the ones that I like for one reason or another. I wouldn't push any blade much past three shaves but you should be able to feel it when they need replacing. Have some great shaves!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top