Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2023 1:22:33 AM EDT
Hey fuckers....
who owns business's and what industry are you in?

I own a commercial beef jerky company and then I sell ammunition/reloading components and all kinds of 2a stuff.  I only buy guns, but am applying for a ffl with sot: since I live in IL and we can't own full auto.

What do you do?

Link Posted: 1/22/2023 8:55:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm neither a veteran nor business owner, but I've seen
"Veteran owned" businesses prosper because they found
jobs that had to be done that weren't getting done.

I'm not pimping them but G.I. Johns, a veteran owned
company, seemingly came out of nowhere to provide
portable bathroom facilities to construction sites.
It's not glamorous, but it's necessary.

I hope you get more responses OP.

I think veterans have unique experiences and a lot to offer.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 10:02:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I own a small automation based rep firm. I have no idea what benefits I mught gain from being “veteran owned”?
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 11:27:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Always two sides to the coin........

I've had dealings with businesses that tout the "veteran owned" sticker and they are as deserving of scrutiny as any non-veteran business.

Don't let your guard down. If putting on a uniform meant 100% integrity there wouldn't be the need for Leavenworth and the UCMJ.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 12:12:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TradWoodsman:
I own a small automation based rep firm. I have no idea what benefits I mught gain from being “veteran owned”?
View Quote

Being Veteran Owned/Operated will get you preference on certain city/state/fed gov contracts (i.e. small/micro business set asides).  Also allows you to use the SDVOSB (Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business) or VOSB (Veteran Owned Small Business) logos/credentials.

I run a firearms business as a side gig (01 FFL w/SOT) and got my SDVOSB certification thru the VA.  Wasn't too bad paperwork wise and took about a month to get the approved letter back.

Some folks go out of their way to support small businesses, especially Veteran owned, so if you qualify for it, I would submit for it.  

There could be more perks I'm not aware/thinking of now.

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Can you talk more about your beef jerky company?
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:03:19 PM EDT
[#6]
That's awesome man!

Once I got out and was able to grow my beard out, I decided to open a beard products company https://southbeachbeard.com/
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 3:05:55 PM EDT
[#7]
We own a few businesses, some are 51% Veteran Owned, and some are 100%.

A marketing firm that can do everything from logo and color palette creation to ongoing social media and other digital marketing services (including daily social posts for your social media and video creation). We can also provide complete CEO, COO, CCO, and CMO services.

A company that uses LMS' to help aspiring business owners create and launch their new business with all of their legal and digital assets, and realign, restructure, automate, and systematize, then relaunch existing businesses.

A company that helps business owners design and then import trailers for use as food trucks, pet grooming, saloons, mobile mechanics, and just about anything else you can imagine.

A firearms manufacturing company that holds a type 11 SOT.

Two construction companies in SoCal.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 10:32:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Beef cattle farmer here.  There are FSA and SBA loans/programs that allow veterans to claim a priority.  Oklahoma also has a "Homegrown by Heros" label that veterans can apply to use.  I'm guessing many states have local programs that would act as a discriminator in the market.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top