Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2024 8:25:45 PM EDT
I might be buying an old 12x36 lathe very cheap. I would like to power its 3 phase 3 hp motor with a VFD. 220 single phase to 220 3 phase.

On a lathe, should I oversize the VFD or buy one rated for 3hp?
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Oversize by 2, is the rule of thumb.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#2]
If its rated for a single phase input and comes from a reputable company I wouldn't oversize.

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:07:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By d4xycrq:
View Quote

We are not talking phase converter. I'm looking at a vfd.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:18:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I have three machines on VFDs.  Never used a phase converter.  My 2X rule of thumb statement comes from other machinist’s.  Suit yourself.  A 6HP or even 10HP VFD is cheap as chips.

Originally Posted By batmanacw:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 11:25:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I have three machines on VFDs.  Never used a phase converter.  My 2X rule of thumb statement comes from other machinist’s.  Suit yourself.  A 6HP or even 10HP VFD is cheap as chips.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

My research is pointing to using a 3hp rated vfd is fine if it is designed to run off single phase or 3 phase.

If you run a 3 phase to 3 phase vfd off single phase you need to oversize it by double.

I'm deciding if I want to oversize to a 4hp or 5hp rated vfd for extra safety margin. The difference in price does matter right now as I wasn't planning on a project right now.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 11:43:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm running VFDs on two mills.  I oversized one by 2 and matched the other one.  I like the performance of the oversized one better.  It can change directions much faster.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 11:47:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Eli75:
I'm running VFDs on two mills.  I oversized one by 2 and matched the other one.  I like the performance of the oversized one better.  It can change directions much faster.
View Quote

Are the settings for the ramp up speed the same?
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 12:07:49 AM EDT
[#8]
No, I can ramp up and down faster on the oversized one.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 8:00:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Eli75:
No, I can ramp up and down faster on the oversized one.
View Quote

If I ramp down my lathe too fast it will unscrew my chuck....
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:35:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I think I'm going with a 5hp rated vfd just for a bit of safety margin. It will not draw more than 16-18 peak amps so I'm running 12-2 for the supply on a 20 amp breaker.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 5:01:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Just found this on vfd dot org.

Variable frequency drives also optimize motor starting characteristics. Variable frequency drives bring motors up to full speed quickly and by drawing only 100% to 150% of full load amps (FLAs). This ability to start at normal FLA is very important if the power supply cannot withstand the normally six times FLA across-the-line starting draw, or even the 350% FLA soft-start device current. Variable frequency drives do this by managing the magnetic flux of an induction motor. Magnetic flux is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the frequency. By keeping the flux constant, the inrush current does not exceed the FLA rating of the motor, and full torque is maintained. This is a significant improvement on a soft-start, which has significant voltage drop problems and cannot start under full load.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 6:53:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Just found this on vfd dot org.

Variable frequency drives also optimize motor starting characteristics. Variable frequency drives bring motors up to full speed quickly and by drawing only 100% to 150% of full load amps (FLAs). This ability to start at normal FLA is very important if the power supply cannot withstand the normally six times FLA across-the-line starting draw, or even the 350% FLA soft-start device current. Variable frequency drives do this by managing the magnetic flux of an induction motor. Magnetic flux is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the frequency. By keeping the flux constant, the inrush current does not exceed the FLA rating of the motor, and full torque is maintained. This is a significant improvement on a soft-start, which has significant voltage drop problems and cannot start under full load.
View Quote

That brings up a good point.  Is your new lathe powered by an induction motor?
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 7:04:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AFCarbon15:

That brings up a good point.  Is your new lathe powered by an induction motor?
View Quote

As far as I know.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 7:15:04 PM EDT
[#14]

As far as I know.
View Quote

That's best.  Will give you a lot more range with the VFD.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:07:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firearmsenthusiast] [#15]
I asked the electricians at work this very question. He told me that a VFD  should be close in size but never under. VFDs can be oversized but it can cause problems of you aren't careful. It depends on how you set them up and the features you use.

If you ran a 5 hp VFD on a 3hp motor, you still set the the same nameplate current on the smaller motor. So the VFD will still do its job and protect the motor from over current. The probelm is you can set a higher current, and if you fuse for the VFD size you do not have adequate circuit protection for the wiring in the smaller motor.

I set this guy up on my South Bend. Brand new old stock on ebay for $50 VFDs are dirt cheap these days.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:39:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MethaneMover] [#16]
I might be buying an old 12x36 lathe very cheap. I would like to power its 3 phase 3 hp motor with a VFD. 220 single phase to 220 3 phase.

On a lathe, should I oversize the VFD or buy one rated for 3hp?
View Quote
My Monarch is a 3hp motor with a 3hp VFD and I've never tripped it out with the exception of slamming the clutch down in a high gear.  That's bad practice regardless, so I don't do it.

Given that most VFDs will tolerate a short overcurrent situation, I would (and have)  go size for size at this HP rating.   I don't think the additional current from the 5hp will provide any gain for the added cost.  If you need to up-size down the line then select a unit to fit that combo.

If it's a clutch lathe, that's great, use the clutch to ease into things.  If it's clutchless, like an SB, then set your spindle ramp to keep startup current moderate.  I don't use the VFDs for decel on any of my manual machines, so I can't speak to tuning that.  

I also don't vary the Freq, set it at 60hz and let it roll.  Yes, it will allow you to get a perfect SFM but in reality that's moot at this level of work.  Most machines were designed with speed selections to cover the bases of their capacities from 60hz.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top