Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2024 8:13:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VACaver]
I mainly use my 2020 Ranger to tow my camper, so it doesn't get driven very often, maybe 3 or 4 times a month.

I got in it the other day and it smelled bad, like spoiled milk. I went through the entire cab and found nothing that smelled. I Febreezed it and that hasn't helped. I sprayed it with Lysol and that hasn't helped. I put it a heavy-duty air freshener, and now it smells like spoiled cherries.

I went through the cab again and there is NOTHING that smells. No bits of dropped food since I don't eat in the truck.

Can anyone recommend something that kills all odors??

Thanks.

*UPDATE*

I went over the truck with a fine-tooth comb and found NOTHING.

Did the Ozium bomb, followed by and ozone generator, and now, several days later, it seems that the smell is gone. Fingers crossed that it stays that way.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:45:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:47:26 AM EDT
[#2]
HVAC odors? AC evaporator can stink at times.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:48:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Toss a ozone generator in it for a day or two, seal it up and let it do it's job.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:51:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Ozone machine
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:09:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Ozone generator. This one is cheap and works great.
Amazon Product
  • HIGH PERFORMANCE - Eliminate smell on your clothing and gear with the HME Trow-N-Go Ozone Air Purifier; This portable ozone generator destroys smells in the car, at home, on the go in duffle bags, and anywhere you go, leaving no residue

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:17:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By intheburbs:
Is it parked outside, or in a garage/covered?

Might have a water leak.  Feel around the floor looking for wet carpet.

If it's parked in a garage, leave the windows open and let it air out.

Son's Wrangler had a bad drain/seal on one of his roof panels.   Parked outside.  The carpeting in the passenger footwell was perpetually soaked.
View Quote

Parked outside, but no water leaks.

I think I'll give the ozone generator a shot.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Look for a dead mouse in the HVAC intake/filter.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:42:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#8]
A friend of mine worked at a dealership and said they frequently used these Ozium foggers on used cars to remove the stink.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/OZIUM-Auto-Air-Freshener-Single-Shot-Car-Fogger-Original-Scent-1-Pack-2-fl-oz-Can/960276970?wl13=2175&selectedSellerId=0

Start the vehicle, roll up the windows, and put the a/c on full blast while fogging the inside. Do not sit in the vehicle while it's fogging / running.

Don't breath that shit (Ozium / Ozone) if you have asthma, it will trigger an asthma attack.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:50:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Parked outside, check your airbox and manifold.

I started my f150 one morning and it smelled like death warmed over. A rotten fetid smell in the cab.

Turns out a little field mouse had gotten in the airbox, started a family in there , couldnt get out, and they all died there, rotting.

Check your air intake, airbox, and manifold intake.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:39:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Dead mouse
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:15:31 PM EDT
[#11]
30 year old smegma?

Dont go in that thread.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Someone already suggested looking for a dead mouse...that was going to be my suggestion.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:32:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Dead rat or small animal
or
Ran over some ripe road kill that got up in  the  engine  area.  This  happened  to  a man I worked  with, gag a maggot for weeks...
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:42:29 PM EDT
[#14]
if it has a cabin air filter, take it out and check for dead mice.  While it's out, replace the cover and start the car and your ac/defrost on high.  spray lysol into the intake under the hood/windshield for a few minutes, let it circulate through your car.  open the windows and let it air out. buy a new cabin air filter.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:42:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DamascusKnifemaker] [#15]
This fucker caused the stink in my truck. He got stuck near the HVAC system. Had to take the wheel well apart to locate him.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top