BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Warhammer 40k Thread (Page 18 of 18)
Page / 18
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone got in to Kill Team? I haven't but I think i'm going to try it next time I have a game day.

I've been watching some battle reports on youtube and it looks pretty fun, and way faster.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:29:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sir_Sparhawk] [#2]
Got done priming and highlighting some Terminators and Sternguard Veterans earlier. They're now ready to paint while watching my favorite 40k streamer tomorrow.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 4:04:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sir_Sparhawk:
Got done priming and highlighting some Terminators and Sternguard Veterans earlier. They're now ready to paint while watching my favorite 40k streamer tomorrow.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/464833/IMG_20240305_205631825_jpg-3150737.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/464833/IMG_20240305_205801645_jpg-3150738.JPG
View Quote

Gonna slap chop them?
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:10:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EconProf] [#4]
Brand new here to the 40k universe. Wife and I both bought a kill teams to practice painting on. I haven’t picked a faction yet (wife stole orks from me lol) leaning towards imperial guard/astra militarum.

I bought the hearthkyn salvager kill team. I like the squats but there seems to be a lack of units right now to choose from in the leagues of Votann faction.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:26:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By EconProf:
Brand new here to the 40k universe. Wife and I both bought a kill teams to practice painting on. I haven’t picked a faction yet (wife stole orks from me lol) leaning towards imperial guard/astra militarum.

I bought the hearthkyn salvager kill team. I like the squats but there seems to be a lack of units right now to choose from in the leagues of Votann faction.
View Quote

Welcome to the addiction!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By lsujim:

Gonna slap chop them?
View Quote

What is slap chop?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:43:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#7]

What is slap chop?
View Quote

It's a speed painting method where you prime, then dry brush or air brush highlights in white or a shade of gray, then lightly brush the colors on (potentially using dry brush as well) until the desired darkness is achieved.

It's much faster than painting individual highlights.

The Slapchop Painting Technique Speedpainting Miniatures Fast
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:22:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

It's a speed painting method where you prime, then dry brush or air brush highlights in white or a shade of gray, then lightly brush the colors on (potentially using dry brush as well) until the desired darkness is achieved.

It's much faster than painting individual highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=618N48WxfoA
View Quote

Interesting. That's how I paint it then. I really don't like the painting part. So the faster I can paint them, the better.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:22:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Interesting. That's how I paint it then. I really don't like the painting part. So the faster I can paint them, the better.
View Quote

I use that technique for doing large groups like when I was painting Orks or Guard.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:26:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Games Workshop has now gone full woke.

BlackRock bought 2,162,045 shares of Games Worksop (6.56%) of the company.  Predictably we now have female Adeptus Custodes according to the new Adeptus Custodes codex, oh yeah, and they use pronouns.

What a damn shame.

Warhammer Finally Goes Woke
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:16:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Lots of simps and wokies on the FB and Reddit boards, cheering it on, too.
Coomers ecstatic over the prospect of Golden Muscle Mommies.

Sucks.

The writing retcon is lazy.  Typical Nottingham.

The codex being shit is a bigger crime.  They must have dropped the woke BS to cover up the garbage strats and stats.

I remember in 9th, they FAQ'd the hardcover a week or so after it was released.

GeeDubz is a joke.

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got enough miniatures to play the game already. I don't need to buy any more and I won't. Get fucked GW.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#13]
They say its not a retcon, its always been that way.  

I'm filling out some Death Guard but I'm trying to get people to play Grimdark Future rules since WH40k rules are not all that good and I hate the I go, You go activation system.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:32:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Network_Daddy:

I'm filling out some Death Guard but I'm trying to get people to play Grimdark Future rules since WH40k rules are not all that good and I hate the I go, You go activation system.

View Quote

I wish my local gaming scene would embrace One Page Rules.

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:30:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:
Games Workshop has now gone full woke.
View Quote

Of course they have. Right after I bought the Eldar combat patrol to get back into war gaming after being out for 20 years.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Hellion-Productions:
Lots of simps and wokies on the FB and Reddit boards, cheering it on, too.
Coomers ecstatic over the prospect of Golden Muscle Mommies.

Sucks.

The writing retcon is lazy.  Typical Nottingham.

The codex being shit is a bigger crime.  They must have dropped the woke BS to cover up the garbage strats and stats.

I remember in 9th, they FAQ'd the hardcover a week or so after it was released.

GeeDubz is a joke.

Best,
JBR
View Quote

Blackrock and Vanguard own collectively 13% of GW now, that's a significant ownership interest and they're pushing their woke agenda full send.  

I can't stand those simps, wookies, and coomers. They are an infestation that has infested the science fiction and comic cons spheres for awhile now. I knew they'd come for Warhammer sooner or later.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:33:58 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

They can say what they want, but it's pretty clear that the Custodians were referred to as the sons of Emperor and male in the past.   Not that GW is good about keeping their own stories straight and haven't contradicted themselves in the past, but please the Custodians having females?  

Plus, I don't see the need or utility here of female Custodians.  They have the Sisters of Battle and female guardsmen in abundance already.  Adding female Custodians and I'm sure soon Space Marines will detract from those factions.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:44:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lsujim] [#18]

They can say what they want, but it's pretty clear that the Custodians were referred to as the sons of Emperor and male in the past.   Not that GW is good about keeping their own stories straight and haven't contradicted themselves in the past, but please the Custodians having females?  

Plus, I don't see the need or utility here of female Custodians.  They have the Sisters of Battle and female guardsmen in abundance already.  Adding female Custodians and I'm sure soon Space Marines will detract from those factions.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Watch you'll start seeing "Warhammer is female" tshirts now. Remind y'all of something?

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:50:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Luetin posted a response to the Custodes retcon

40K - NO ONE NOTICED THIS FOR 10,000 YEARS? | Warhammer 40,000 Lore/Discussion
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:32:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaerMorhenResident] [#20]
So, one ambiguous line that is vague as to whether or not there were female Custodes, but for that one line there dozens of lines referring to them as men.  

I agree with Lutin, given the overall context provided by the Lore I think it is pretty clear that the Custodes were exclusively men until this 10th Edition Codex.  

Do we know when Blackrock and Vanguard purchased their shares in GW?  It would be interesting to see if GW's wokeness corresponds to Blackrock and Vanguard's investment.  

It's sad to see GW finally rising up in popularity with the PS5 game coming out this Fall and the Amazon series coming up that perhaps the funding that allowed all to happen has at the same time infested Warhammer with the woke virus, which ultimately destroy it.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:59:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#21]
So, one ambiguous line that is vague as to whether or not there were female Custodes, but for that one line there dozens of lines referring to them as men.  

I agree with Lutin, given the overall context provided by the Lore I think it is pretty clear that the Custodes were exclusively men until this 10th Edition Codex.  

Do we know when Blackrock and Vanguard purchased their shares in GW?  It would be interesting to see if GW's wokeness corresponds to Blackrock and Vanguard's investment.  

It's sad to see GW finally rising up in popularity with the PS5 game coming out this Fall and the Amazon series coming up that perhaps the funding that allowed all to happen has at the same time infested Warhammer with the woke virus, which ultimately destroy it.
View Quote
This is what I've seen people citing:

Custodes Codex 8th Ed

It is known that all Custodians begin their lives as the infant sons of the noble houses of Terra. It is a mark of incredible prestige to surrender one’s child to this most glorious of callings within the Imperium, and many notable clans amongst the Terran aristocracy have willingly given up almost entire generations of newborn sons to earn it.

Seems people are getting blocked on the official warhammer accounts for asking about it now:

ETA; It seems that if you really like a thing, you should pray it never gets popular, because that will dilute it and inject nonsense into it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:15:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Luetin posted a response to the Custodes retcon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy1TQbDVgJg
View Quote

@11boomboom

Watched it, he's well spoken and reasons well.

Wow, you guy's fluff and lore is comparatively mushy compared to bt. Not bashing, just noticing.

With a real fan of the setting who likes the setting, that can be a good thing, but ... well, you see the downside right now.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:

@11boomboom

Watched it, he's well spoken and reasons well.

Wow, you guy's fluff and lore is comparatively mushy compared to bt. Not bashing, just noticing.

With a real fan of the setting who likes the setting, that can be a good thing, but ... well, you see the downside right now.
View Quote

The problem in the lore is the inconsistency, but that's also explained in the lore.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:21:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Custodes Codex 8th Ed

It is known that all Custodians begin their lives as the infant sons of the noble houses of Terra. It is a mark of incredible prestige to surrender one’s child to this most glorious of callings within the Imperium, and many notable clans amongst the Terran aristocracy have willingly given up almost entire generations of newborn sons to earn it.

https://i.redd.it/5ztzi27jdcuc1.jpeg

Seems people are getting blocked on the official warhammer accounts for asking about it now:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GLT_4x-XEAAjlsA?format=jpg&name=orig

ETA; It seems that if you really like a thing, you should pray it never gets popular, because that will dilute it and inject nonsense into it.
View All Quotes

Custodes Codex 8th Ed

I thought I always wanted BT to be more popular. Boy have I learned how wrong I am there.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Paulie771:

I thought I always wanted BT to be more popular. Boy have I learned how wrong I am there.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Paulie771:

Custodes Codex 8th Ed

NO kidding.

They never should have hired rem, or caved to their bosses and the twitter mobs regarding BLP.

I hear the shadwrun fans have had it far FAR worse. I would very much like to hear from some of them in a shadowrun thread on the forums about what's gone down on their side of things, I only hear hushed rumors of it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:04:54 AM EDT
[#26]

NO kidding.

They never should have hired rem, or caved to their bosses and the twitter mobs regarding BLP.

I hear the shadwrun fans have had it far FAR worse. I would very much like to hear from some of them in a shadowrun thread on the forums about what's gone down on their side of things, I only hear hushed rumors of it.
View Quote

Shadowrun. Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Long time.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:39:01 PM EDT
[#27]
TCD dropped yall a gem.

The Battle For Warhammer Has Begun
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:18:44 PM EDT
[#28]
TCD dropped yall a gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcLRqXE7Les
View Quote

Carl had one, too...

Warhammer Finally Goes Woke
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:43:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#29]

View Quote

Amazon involvement just fuels the woke flame, & apparently, Sir Caville is not amused:

Henry Cavill Threatens to EXIT Amazon's Warhammer 40K?! + Woke Feminists Swarm Stellar Blade

Critical drinker covers it:

The Battle For Warhammer Has Begun
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:18:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

Amazon involvement just fuels the woke flame, & apparently, Sir Caville is not amused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkFdxBwwSyk

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkFdxBwwSyk

The cavill and amazon rumors are interesting, but I haven't seen anyone able to confirm or deny them.  It originated in a 4chan thread with someone saying he was @ amazon.

Oh, eh, scroll up a few. We both posted the same TCD vid.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#32]

The cavill and amazon rumors are interesting, but I haven't seen anyone able to confirm or deny them.  It originated in a 4chan thread with someone saying he was @ amazon.

View Quote

I watched the Battletech deep autistic dive with Razorfist yesterday. Man, I feel for you Battletech guys.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:37:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#33]

I watched the Battletech deep autistic dive with Razorfist yesterday. Man, I feel for you Battletech guys.
View All Quotes

In a way, we're used to it.

Those of us who are a bit older remember times when there was nothing published or advertised for years and we would have to tell game shop owners that "No, battletech is not gone, they are not out of business, they are still doing some things."

Because our setting is othewise so consistent over time AND you can play the game for free. Yes, FREE - using decades old content, we got through. The old IP owners were fasa. Who went belly up around 2000-1, (and are now nothing but a holding company) than it went to wizkids,  fanpro got involved, than sometime around 2007 the bt license went to catalyst game labs.  Oh, and because wizkids got bought out topps (yes, the baseball card maker), topps now holds the actual IP. But Topps got bought out by fanatics inc in 22.

Our novels all but disappeared for decades and became unobtanium.

Official sites and forums have gone belly up and been replaced multiple times. The current official one, iiirc, was a fan forum.

So ... as you can see, cgl and rem and the bigots in cgl and the old guard have not picked an easy fight.

We can and will keep playing even in the absence of CGL or support from it entirely. CGL is a gnat compared to GW. They have to be more careful. Rem and the leftist diehards in cgl on an inqusition campaign are playing a very dangerous game for the continued well being of their company.

Even if they don't get meaingfully punished as they should for the recent stuff, they will have cut their nose off to spite their faces.   I know of guys that are still so ticked about the clan invasion arc in the 1990s that they haven't bought a single new thing since then - *and they still play.*

If people find rem offputting, people like enby kaijuu would make them turn inside out. That dude needs serious help.  You 40k guys can shelter in BT ... but only by ignoring CGL and a fairly decent swathe of the new stuff.

---------------------------

I do wonder how you guys are going to handle whatever rolls down the pike in 40K.

I have been told - and it strikes me as being true - that the setting was never inteded to be really quite serious about itself (in the tongue in cheek way), and my bud(s) who were involved in it have been kvetching for years about how the new source and rule books change things, and not just game mechanics.

Plus yall's buy in cost seems pretty high - either in prices paid to GW or for 3d prints otherwise. Also people using older rulesets being able to catch a game. I don't know 40K well enough to see how that might work out.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:28:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#34]

Those of us who are a bit older remember times when there was nothing published or advertised for years and we would have to tell game shop owners that "No, battletech is not gone, they are not out of business, they are still doing some things."

Because our setting is othewise so consistent over time AND you can play the game for free. Yes, FREE - using decades old content, we got through. The old IP owners were fasa. Who went belly up around 2000-1, (and are now nothing but a holding company) than it went to wizkids,  fanpro got involved, than sometime around 2007 the bt license went to catalyst game labs.  Oh, and because wizkids got bought out topps (yes, the baseball card maker), topps now holds the actual IP. But Topps got bought out by fanatics inc in 22.

Official sites and forums have gone belly up and been replaced multiple times. The current official one, iiirc, was a fan forum.

So ... as you can see, cgl and rem and the bigots in cgl and the old guard have not picked an easy fight.

We can and will keep playing even in the absence of CGL or support from it entirely. CGL is a gnat compared to GW. They have to be more careful. Rem and the leftist diehards in cgl on an inqusition campaign are playing a very dangerous game for the continued well being of their company.

Even if they don't get meaingfully punished as they should for the recent stuff, they will have cut their nose off to spite their faces.   I know of guys that are still so ticked about the clan invasion arc in the 1990s that they haven't bought a single new thing since then - *and they still play.*

If people find rem offputting, people like enby kaijuu would make them turn inside out. That dude needs serious help.  You 40k guys can shelter in BT ... but only by ignoring CGL and a fairly decent swathe of the new stuff.

I do wonder how you guys are going to handle whatever rolls down the pike in 40K.

I have been told - and it strikes me as being true - that the setting was never inteded to be really quite serious about itself (in the tongue in cheek way), and my bud(s) who were involved in it have been kvetching for years about how the new source and rule books change things, and not just game mechanics.

Plus yall's buy in cost seems pretty high - either in prices paid to GW or for 3d prints otherwise. Also people using older rulesets being able to catch a game. I don't know 40K well enough to see how that might work out.
View Quote

We take the lore as from the point of view of an unreliable narrator, I think.

For game mechanics, we get DRASTIC game changes every edition (the plan from GW going forward is every 2 years, I think) and big gameplay changes throughout the year as they (GW) try to balance the armies for use in tournaments.

Cost of entry right now (if you want to play a tournament 2k point game) is a about $600-800-ish for models and another $150-200 in modeling supplies to build the army. To play a basic game at the smallest level, you could get in for abouit $200 for everything. I have about $2500 just in models for my main army and about $1500 for my other armies.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:29:30 PM EDT
[#35]

For game mechanics, we get DRASTIC game changes every edition (the plan from GW going forward is every 2 years, I think) and big gameplay changes throughout the year as they (GW) try to balance the armies for use in tournaments.

Cost of entry right now (if you want to play a tournament 2k point game) is a about $600-800-ish for models and another $150-200 in modeling supplies to build the army. To play a basic game at the smallest level, you could get in for abouit $200 for everything. I have about $2500 just in models for my main army and about $1500 for my other armies.
View All Quotes

Someone needs to make you guys an equivalent to OSRIC or something like that, built from the best of the old rules, only following rules and not 40k or GW content otherwise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSRIC
OSRIC, short for Old School Reference and Index Compilation, is a fantasy role-playing game system. It is a remake of the first edition of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (AD&D), and one of the most successful Dungeons & Dragons retro-clones.[1]: 366  OSRIC describes itself as "a compilation of rules for old school-style fantasy gaming...intended to reproduce underlying rules used in the late 1970s to early 1980s".[2] OSRIC uses the Open Gaming License and the System Reference Document of Dungeons & Dragons 3rd edition to create a new presentation of the first edition rule set.
History

The purpose of OSRIC is to provide publishers with a tool to legally produce gaming materials compatible with first edition AD&D.[3] More than 20 different publishers have produced more than 500 products branded as OSRIC-compatible.[4]

The initial version of OSRIC was released in 2006. The OSRIC rules are free to download from the game's site in PDF form.[5] OSRIC v. 2.0 was released in 2008.[6] In June 2009, hard copy versions of the rules became available from the Lulu print-on-demand service. Additionally, Black Blade Publishing and Usherwood Publishing together released a deluxe hard-bound print version with extra art and indices not appearing in other editions.

OSRIC v. 2.2, was released in 2013.[7]

https://osricrpg.com/

And setup a third party league with games.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:16:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#36]

View Quote

Sorry for reposting. Here's a new Endymion vid:

Games Workshop REJECTS Warhammer 40K Fans + Henry Cavill Hobby Goes FULL Woke Mind Virus

GW is doubling down. I'm now rethinking whether I'll buy SM2 when it releases this Fall.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:55:48 PM EDT
[#37]

Someone needs to make you guys an equivalent to OSRIC or something like that, built from the best of the old rules, only following rules and not 40k or GW content otherwise.

OSRIC, short for Old School Reference and Index Compilation, is a fantasy role-playing game system. It is a remake of the first edition of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (AD&D), and one of the most successful Dungeons & Dragons retro-clones.[1]: 366  OSRIC describes itself as "a compilation of rules for old school-style fantasy gaming...intended to reproduce underlying rules used in the late 1970s to early 1980s".[2] OSRIC uses the Open Gaming License and the System Reference Document of Dungeons & Dragons 3rd edition to create a new presentation of the first edition rule set.
History

The purpose of OSRIC is to provide publishers with a tool to legally produce gaming materials compatible with first edition AD&D.[3] More than 20 different publishers have produced more than 500 products branded as OSRIC-compatible.[4]

The initial version of OSRIC was released in 2006. The OSRIC rules are free to download from the game's site in PDF form.[5] OSRIC v. 2.0 was released in 2008.[6] In June 2009, hard copy versions of the rules became available from the Lulu print-on-demand service. Additionally, Black Blade Publishing and Usherwood Publishing together released a deluxe hard-bound print version with extra art and indices not appearing in other editions.

View Quote

One Page Rules is founded on a similar principle.

http://www.onepagerules.com

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:37:57 PM EDT
[#38]

Best,
JBR
View All Quotes

History

Best,
JBR

Sweet

Glad to see you guys have that going.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:51:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Has this kinda stuff been a thing in WD before?

https://www.warhammer.com/en-US/shop/white-dwarf-499-apr-24-english-2024

WD, issue 499, april 24

Page 6

https://www.warhammer.com/app/resources/catalog/product/920x950/60249999641_EngWD49904.jpg

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:29:43 AM EDT
[#40]

WD, issue 499, april 24

Page 6

https://archive.is/mhitb/a5ed681f6c4c4fce37276a5b7dc3bf088399531a.jpg

https://www.warhammer.com/app/resources/catalog/product/920x950/60249999641_EngWD49904.jpg

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:37:01 AM EDT
[#41]

WD, issue 499, april 24

Page 6

https://archive.is/mhitb/a5ed681f6c4c4fce37276a5b7dc3bf088399531a.jpg

View Quote

It fits for Slaaneshi armies. It was always considered cringe on regular Space Marine chapters.
Page / 18
Next Page Arrow Left
Warhammer 40k Thread (Page 18 of 18)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top