Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2024 5:44:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4-AK]
2 Speeds and Torque Converter.  Minimal Shifting and a lot of torque converter action.

See the similarity in results?

TRIFECTA: Three Rare Corvettes for 300 Episodes of Coffee Walk!

One of the vettes is a Powerglide and it brought back memories.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:47:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Low & Go!
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:52:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Were the gear ratios constantly varying?
Then no.
Constantly slipping isn't varying.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:53:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Not at all. No.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:54:10 PM EDT
[#4]
No.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:56:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Alembic:
No.
View Quote

Efficient, No.  Smooth, Yes.

Jim Hall used them.  Drag used them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:06:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Hell naw!

I just found out today the tranny in my '68 Firebird was a Super Turbine 300, not a Powerglide like I called it all this time.
Been watching Barrett-Jackson Auction and went down a rabbit hole.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:11:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By M4-AK:

Efficient, No.  Smooth, Yes.

Jim Hall used them.  Drag used them.
View Quote

My brother had a Chevelle with one, it was smooth as silk.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Powderfinger:
Hell naw!

I just found out today the tranny in my '68 Firebird was a Super Turbine 300, not a Powerglide like I called it all this time.
Been watching Barrett-Jackson Auction and went down a rabbit hole.
View Quote

@Powderfinger

Specs on your '68? I have a '68 Sprint with a 4 speed, it's a good driver, but it's due for a suspension rebuild and power front discs would be nice. Fixing the oil pan or rear main leak would be nice also. But pulling the engine is pretty low on my things I want to do list.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:33:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Powderfinger] [#9]
Originally Posted By buckstrucks:

@Powderfinger

Specs on your '68? I have a '68 Sprint with a 4 speed, it's a good driver, but it's due for a suspension rebuild and power front discs would be nice. Fixing the oil pan or rear main leak would be nice also. But pulling the engine is pretty low on my things I want to do list.
View Quote

I've  mentioned the car several times in other threads.
I'm sorry to say it was owned long ago.
It was the first car I purchased, when in high school.
A friend's father took us car shopping a bunch and this car was a slow seller due to the 2 speed auto. All the cool kids wanted a stick.
He convinced me to get it when his son wouldn't consider it. A one owner car with 58K miles for a $1000.
It was 2 BBL 350 car.
Another friend's older brother left 2 Tri-Power setups in the garage when he went off to college. The friend bolted one on his '68 GTO HO 400 and the other one on my Firebird.
With the 2.73 rear-end, you couldn't smoke a tire to save your soul, but the 160 MPH speedo wasn't for looks either.
The car could exceed anything sane with the suspension and brakes it sported.

Your Sprint model deserves a nice rebuild.
Good luck!

@buckstrucks
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:44:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wmagrush] [#10]
Closest to a CVT was the Turboglide. Was so bad that when it came in for warranty, was usually replaced with a power glide of the cast iron variety.

I’ve dealt with both. Currently prefer TH350 or 700R4 transmissions. Or at least the aluminum power glide.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turboglide
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:28:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dlshady] [#11]
I know that you just couldn't kill a damn Powerglide.  My 63 Impala had one in it and when I turned 16 I rounded up a Mumcie and all the associated stuff to swap it over, but my old man wouldn't let me change it until the Powerglide went out.  Every single day leaving school I'd throw it up in neutral, rev that poor 283 to the moon and neutral drop it, but it never did completely go out.  the day I drove it to the shop to start the swap it had pretty much one speed which was all over the rpm range, but it drove the whole way out there.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:54:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Power Slide
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:11:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By wmagrush:
Closest to a CVT was the Turboglide. Was so bad that when it came in for warranty, was usually replaced with a power glide of the cast iron variety.

View Quote

Damn those things are heavy,  my dad and I tried to lift one over our heads to stuff it back in the Corvette,  that wasn't going to happen....EVER.   Made a little plate to hold it, welded it to the cherry picker and stuffed it in.

I have a spare on the floor in the corner of the shop,  I hope to god it never has a problem again.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#14]
No.

CVT’s only exist to be cheap. That is literally the only reason. Belts are cheaper than gears.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:29:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
No.

CVT’s only exist to be cheap. That is literally the only reason. Belts are cheaper than gears.
View Quote

No, they're not. They are quite pricy in fact, unless you're talking rubber belts in snowmobiles and ATVs/ SxS's. What they can do is produce best-in-class combinations of MPG and 0-60 times, which Nissan successfully did for a while there. 0-30 always sucked, but that is a weakness of the belt technology, not the principle of a CVT.

About 15 years ago, a 6 speed auto was in the $1- 1.5k range, the only 8-sp game around at the time was the premium ZF, coming in around $1300-1700, pricing for both dependent on models, and the Jatco belt CVTs started at $1500 and went up from there, LuK chain CVTs were even more. Understand that these prices are what OEMs paid the suppliers, not what you'd pay for a replacement.

To the OPs question, an unlocked torque converter is technically an IVT - Infinitely variable transmission - because it can have zero output speed with a torque reaction while maintaining a non-zero input speed, though unlike true IVTs, it can't seamlessly transition to reverse.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#16]

I’ve dealt with both. Currently prefer TH350 or 700R4 transmissions. Or at least the aluminum power glide.

View Quote

Buick’s Dynaflow was closer.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:12:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By hotdog250j:
Were the gear ratios constantly varying?
Then no.
Constantly slipping isn't varying.
View Quote

A CVT is just a variable speed sheave. Worked on them in industrial applications, not a fan.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:31:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HourOfAngle] [#18]
PG is still used  lot in bracket racing. Or least the core of one. Pre Lenco days it was used in almost everything.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:38:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DayandNight1701] [#19]
Does OP have any idea what he's talking about? No.

Is the Power Glide garbage when mated to narrow powerband modern engines...yes

Does it work with big cube, big torque engines from idle to whatever redline...kinda.

Carry on.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:46:25 PM EDT
[#20]
The old cast 2-speed powerglides were a generations lasting type transmission. About only thing that went bad on them was the vacuum modulator when it wouldn't let it shift correctly as the rubber diaphram in it would get worn out, go hard or rupture and start losing vacuum. A very simple transmission fix of replacement back in the day.

I don't think I'd ever seen anybody change out the fluid/filter on one of these transmissions. At least not on my dad's 62 impala or brother's 64 impala. Dad also had an SS 62 Impala w/4-sp that I loved at one point, growing up.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:50:47 PM EDT
[#21]
I believe the PG was two speeds. Fast and faster.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:17:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Darrellbear:

A CVT is just a variable speed sheave. Worked on them in industrial applications, not a fan.
View Quote

Not all of them. This one is sold for bicycles today, but can easily be scaled to any size/power needed. It just had the misfortune of being perfected right about the time that all the automakers decided they had to go EV. The driving characteristics are dramatically different from those of a belt CVT. It transfers torque via elastohydrodynamic lubrication between rolling elements, wherein a Newtonian fluid momentarily solidifies into an elastic solid.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:59:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Can you put a trans brake on a cvt?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:01:05 AM EDT
[#24]
A friend had one in a Chevelle. I don't recall any specifics but it seemed strange that the tranny was only two speeds.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:03:21 AM EDT
[#25]
So, how does it work? How can two speeds cover such a range? I've never understood it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:04:23 AM EDT
[#26]
powerslide
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:35:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HourOfAngle] [#27]
Originally Posted By mancow:
So, how does it work? How can two speeds cover such a range? I've never understood it.
View Quote

High stall convertor and a high top end rpm. For regular driving you started in low obviously and then into high when you got moving and the cruise rpm would be higher than in a 4 speed for instance.

In drag racing you can really space out the gearing so that you redline in low then redline in high and if you did all your math right you redline at the finish line so that you are always accelerating and getting higher rpm. Works well when you have a set distance to cover and then that's it.

And they were/are damn near bulletproof. I still see them sometimes in 9 second cars and such. Pretty standard in 10 and slower cars. When you get into the 8s or faster you really need a Lenco transmission which is modular standard transmission, pull the lever for each gear. You can make it however many speeds you want since it's modular. Not cheap. You still run into some bracket cars with other things like a Ford C6 or a GM Turbo 350 or 400.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:52:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By mancow:
A friend had one in a Chevelle. I don't recall any specifics but it seemed strange that the tranny was only two speeds.
View Quote

The TH350 and TH400 three speed automatics weren't introduced, until 1967.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:15:51 AM EDT
[#29]
We had one in a El Camino. Never an issue. Broke motor mounts multiple time until we chained it but the transmission was bulletproof.

A LOT of racers used them back in the day because they could handle far more horsepower then many more ''modern'' transmission.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:05:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gtfoxy] [#30]
Yeah, no.

I would say the closest was the Dynaflow when out of DD. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynaflow

Originally Posted By shovelheadrider:

View Quote

Buick’s Dynaflow was closer.
View Quote

For cars any way.

Let’s not forget various machinery like snowmobiles had sheaved clutch CVT’s for a long time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top