Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2024 12:22:36 PM EDT
Good morning and happy Easter!

Just a quick question on your opinion about changing the diode. Basically,  at this point is it worth it?

The heater (40 gal.) Is about 15 years old.  It was here when we moved in.  I replaced the pilot light assembly six months ago and other than that,  it's been working normally. I know it's well past it's expected life at this point.

I bought a new magnesium diode and figured it wouldn't hurt to change it.  But, I'm getting cold feet because the old one won't budge. I'm afraid of breaking something and rendering the threads ruined and left with a useless heater.

Given it's age, would you ride it out orgo ahead and try to replace the diode?
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:26:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy a new water heater. The average life of yours is surpassed.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Step 1:

Shut off the supply valve and let some water out of the heater so it doesn't make a flood.
Just a little water, because you need the weight. You don't want the heater walking around and wrecking the pipes in step 2.

Step 2:

Get out a 1/2" impact wrench or a 3' breaker bar and unscrew that rod.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 2:22:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Anode.  Not diode.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#4]
If it isn’t leaking is not bad, putting a few buck to prolong the life is a smart decision imo, if it’s electric, you can probably buy a full heating element and thermostat kit for under $50 to rebuild it but probably not needed. My recommendation is do the new anode rod and buy a new drain valve - the drain on the water heater is a 3/4” pipe thread but only have a 1/4” opening in the valve so the crud just build up and can’t be flushed. Replace it with a full diameter ball valve so the build up can be flushed from the tank.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 2:44:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Also spray a tiny dab of penetrating oil like KROIL on the thread to rod joint. AND I Mean Tiny, because a small bit of it is going to get into the water in the tank.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 5:05:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dntama] [#6]
Probably worth it. I first replaced an anode in a 13 yo tank. I replace it every 5-8 yrs but it could go longer as rod is not completely eaten. It’s now about  39 yo. I also needed a breaker bar to get it out.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dntama:
Probably worth it. I first replaced an anode in a 13 yo tank. I replace it every 5-8 yrs but it could go longer as rod is not completely eaten. It’s now about  39 yo. I also needed a breaker bar to get it out.
View Quote

I would agree. I replaced one in a WH at work around the 7 to 8 years mark, the material at the top 8" and bottom 12" of the anode was gone and the rest was pretty eaten up. I used a breaker bar and it came right out.

Bradford White states NOT to use an impact.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:05:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Impact wrench, 1 1/16th socket IIRC, pull the old one, bet there is nothing left, install new one.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replies.  I will give it a go.  Lucky part is that how it's placed against the wall and the anode is in the back,  I can only wrench about 4 inches at a time.
I don't own a 1/2 inch drill.  But this and wheel lugs may be my excuse to get one.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:44:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Is your water very hard?  Do you have a softener?  If your water is softened or naturally soft (mineral free) an anode replacement and run it a little longer is probably fine.  If not, then I'd probably just replace the whole thing.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 11:45:43 AM EDT
[#11]
No softener.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:23:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Cardplayer:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cardplayer:

Average life is short BECAUSE people don't replace anodes or do maintenance.

Originally Posted By Ef4life:
If it isn’t leaking is not bad, putting a few buck to prolong the life is a smart decision imo, if it’s electric, you can probably buy a full heating element and thermostat kit for under $50 to rebuild it but probably not needed. My recommendation is do the new anode rod and buy a new drain valve - the drain on the water heater is a 3/4” pipe thread but only have a 1/4” opening in the valve so the crud just build up and can’t be flushed. Replace it with a full diameter ball valve so the build up can be flushed from the tank.

I don't care how big of valve you put in, it's not going to get the crap out. The only reliable way I've found is to remove the lower element (larger hole) and tape a piece of curved 3/4 EMT conduit in the end of my shopvac hose. Use the EMT to break it up as it sucks it out. It gets it truly clean.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:28:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Impact wrench will get it.  New anode and tank corrosion drops to zero until anode is gone.  Would you like to get another 5 years, or more?  Be gentle with the impact wrench.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top