Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2024 8:20:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dolomite]
This as almost two weeks ago.  So, dupe?  2 New Zealanders without licenses zooming by a Police checkpoint - take a bad situation and make it 1000 times worse.  Still in the local jail from what I've gathered.  Fucking lucky to still be alive.

Phuket—At 3:50 PM, on March 16th, 2024, Chalong police officers captured two New Zealand nationals who allegedly refused to pull over for a traffic offense, evaded police arrest, and were later accused of assaulting an officer who pursued them in Mueang, Phuket.

According to the police report, Chalong patrol police were performing their regular duty on Chaofa East Road, in front of the Chalong police station. Two foreigners on motorbikes did not follow the traffic laws, not riding close to the left side of the road and riding at high speed in a community area, according to Chalong police.

The police on duty asked for cooperation from them to stop their motorbikes. However, the two violators then allegedly attempted to flee from the police.  After the police pursuit, the two foreigners were infuriated and allegedly attacked the police while having the incident recorded by the police.

The situation escalated as the foreigners allegedly attempted to snatch the officers’ firearm causing the gun to fire once, nobody was injured, according to the police.
View Quote

"Meanwhile, the millionaire parents of the two suspects, who are brothers, have spoken to the New Zealand press about the situation.  In brief, they stated they were shocked by the situation, had obtained the services of a lawyer, and described the suspects as “Just two kids on vacation”, stressing that both men had families and children of their own who were deeply concerned about them.
View Quote
They're both in their 30's.

Maybe someone can translate Thai sign language:
???.???????? ???????-??????? ??. | 17 ??.?. 67 | ?????????????
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:22:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: noob5000000] [#1]
What a couple of pieces of shit. Maybe they should have thought about their families before committing several serious crimes, including assault. Is Thailand the country that publicly canes people? I hope so.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I have zero doubt it was a shake-down by the cops….but that’s what you get visiting shithole countries.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:27:53 PM EDT
[#3]
They are fucked. They are going to a shitty prison for a long, long time.

Their family better be figuring out how to bribe someone with a whole lot of money, still probably won’t help.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By noob5000000:
What a couple of pieces of shit. Maybe they should have thought about their families before committing several serious crimes, including assault. Is Thailand the country that publicly canes people? I hope so.
View Quote

Yeah, I hope that their families have money.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ServusVeritatis:
I have zero doubt it was a shake-down by the cops….but that’s what you get visiting shithole countries.
View Quote

I've seen too many misbehaving folks from Australia/NZ in Thailand and Indonesia to side automatically with the tourists.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:35:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 21usernamechecksout] [#6]
Originally Posted By noob5000000:
View Quote

Singapore... If it was those dudes would be executed.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:38:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dolomite] [#7]
I think the plan was to wrestle the cop, pin him to the ground, disarm him, unload his weapon, delete their images from his phone, give it all back to him - and then head down to the beach for a cold coconut drink.

The fuck is wrong with New Zealanders?
https://www.1news.co.nz/2024/03/19/kiwis-lose-thai-visas-after-alleged-brawl-with-police-officer/
Brothers Hamish Day and Oscar Mattson Day were charged with offences including robbery, causing physical harm to an on-duty officer, attempted bribery and driving a motorcycle without a license, Phuket provincial police chief Sinlert Sukhum told a news conference.

Police said officer Somsak Noo-iat on Saturday spotted the men speeding on their motorbikes and tried to stop them.

They allegedly tried to speed away then tried to offer a bribe to Somsak, who refused to take it. He tried to film the two men on his phone, and they allegedly tackled him and wrestled the gun away from him, causing a bullet to be fired.

The police chief alleged that the man who attacked the officer is a mixed martial arts fighter.
View Quote

I've never been to Thailand, but I have had to 'negotiate' a fine on the side of the street in MX.

So what if it was a shakedown?  They were speeding without licenses.  At worst this cop would've taken their ID's/Passports and expected them to show up at the station later to settle up.  They'd be out maybe a couple hundred.

Now, they've got pet rats 24/7 - and that MMA training?  LoL - they will be getting all the Thai-style MMA training they could possibly crave.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:44:24 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Been there twice. There are some shadier areas but my impression was that everyday life in Thailand was pretty straightforward. People were friendly and there didn’t seem to be much crime. I wouldn’t put it in the same league as some other countries in the area.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:49:09 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

Not sure how many times you've been to Phuket but it's not really a shit hole.

Like not even like Atlanta at all.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:12:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Of all crimes, “assault an Asian police officer as a foreigner and take his gun” has to be damn near the stupidest.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:19:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Absolute fucking retards.  

Toss em in a Thai prison. Teach em that fucking around in someone else's country isn't the same as fucking around in their own.

Too bad we don't do that here.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:23:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Two entitled rich boys. I hope they get loved tenderly in jail.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I hope that they enjoy their time in the Bangkok Hilton.

No, not the actual hotel but rather  the third worst prison in the entire world.
The notorious Bang Kwang Prison
"The infamous Thai prison Bang Kwang is located in the Thai capital. With a great deal of irony, this correctional facility is sometimes nicknamed the Bangkok Hilton, but there is nothing luxurious about it."

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:28:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Their rectums are getting Muay Thai training
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:28:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MADMAXXX:
I hope that they enjoy their time in the Bangkok Hilton.

No, not the actual hotel but rather  the third worst prison in the entire world.
The notorious Bang Kwang Prison
"The infamous Thai prison Bang Kwang is located in the Thai capital. With a great deal of irony, this correctional facility is sometimes nicknamed the Bangkok Hilton, but there is nothing luxurious about it."

View Quote

Which guy is named Kwang?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:32:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HDLS] [#16]
Thai prison is no joke.

Farangs do some really stupid shit there.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:37:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dolomite] [#17]
Originally Posted By Beretta_Jerry:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Beretta_Jerry:
Originally Posted By MADMAXXX:
"The infamous Thai prison Bang Kwang

He's so famous, he's considered "In".
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't understand why foreigners would disrespect the laws of the country that they are visiting.  Just like the illegal immigrants here, they should be thrown in jail, serve out their sentences, and then be deported back to their country of origin.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:41:18 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Troll
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:26:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Pallas:
They are fucked. They are going to a shitty prison for a long, long time.

Their family better be figuring out how to bribe someone with a whole lot of money, still probably won’t help.
View Quote

This 1,000,000 %
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:44:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Murray Head - One Night In Bangkok "From CHESS"
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:17:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Sometimes life teaches you a lesson, sometimes you are the lesson for others.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:29:26 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Lol, please share with us your stories about crime and corruption in Thailand.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:39:56 AM EDT
[#24]

You can't fix stupid.

Had they stopped it would probably have been few hundred baht each to move on.  Now, their lives are ruined because they felt need to paly tuff guy.

And on top of all, how in blithering tarnation do 2 caucasian new zelanders think they can get away with something like this or hide out in a place where they stand out like a fart in church?
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:49:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: grayparatrooper] [#25]
Wife is Thai so I’m quite familiar with Thailand. They are rich so they definitely will be paying off the right people just how it works down there. Thai officer & family will get a bunch of cash as well as whoever else needs it to get the boys out. Doesn’t mean they won’t sit for awhile tho. We were stopped at a check point a truck full of white people and tons of luggage. He was asking the driver  something in Thai wife’s dad retired but fairly high ranking military who was following gets out said a couple words flashed his id and we were waived on thru. After that he was lead car and we weren’t stopped at any other checkpoints.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:06:19 AM EDT
[#26]
That's fucking hilarious

Was the one guy posing for a photo?
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:34:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MADMAXXX] [#27]
My Thai lady friend listened to this, and she found other Thai news stories about this incident.
The men were speeding in a high traffic area.
The Policeman signaled for them to stop, but they fled on their motorbikes.
Thw Policeman followed in his car, eventually stopping the men.
They had no Thai motorcycle license, nor a foreign motorcycle license, a requirement here.
The men offered money to bribe the Policeman, but the Policeman refused and said that the men needed to only go in person to the police station to pay their fines.
The Policeman then wanted to search the men's person and their motorbikes.
During this search was when the men started to fight.
All they would have had to do was ride a few blocks to the police station and pay a fine of maybe 1000 baht,  about $25 USD each but they chose to FOFA.
I suspect they maybe had drugs on their person that they didn't want the Policeman to find in his search.
Stupid shits making trouble here are usually Russian tourists.
ETA Usually on traffic stops for no helmet, speeding, or any other motorbike violation, the Policeman will take your ID and you are free to ride your motorbikes to the Police Station where you pay your fine and are given back your ID.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:35:11 AM EDT
[#28]
They are in trouble.  It's now a matter of international interest and Thai "face".  And they deserve it.  Doesn't matter if the stop was just a shake down (oh yeah it happens).  It's just part of being there.  These idiots went hands on with a thai cop.  Not good.

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:57:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Phuket
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 10:04:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VrodRay] [#30]
I can tell you that these type of check points are almost always shake down posts for foreigners. I lived in a similar situation. I guess the Kiwis weren't having it and went wayy too far. haha
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 10:35:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Likely didn’t want to do time for the drugs they had on them.    It certainly wasn’t a random let’s take down a cop because we’re stupid foreigners.

Of course they ditched their junk along the way.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 10:42:45 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Yep, shakedown the wealthy white western tourists for some quick cash on some bullshit charge. These dudes sniffed it out and were having none of it. Unfortunately that was the wrong move and the fine just got 20x higher lol. When in Rome, play by Roman rules.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 11:49:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Phukem
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 11:52:26 AM EDT
[#34]
I hope the Thais love them tenderly for that stupid stunt.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 11:57:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JKH62] [#35]
They just extended their stay with different accommodations.
Surprised the cop did not shoot them, the look on the cops face he is worried about getting shot with his own gun.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:01:29 PM EDT
[#36]
O Vatana Siam!
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#37]

oof

they going to be loved long time

you like f&*ky s*^ky ??
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:14:27 PM EDT
[#38]
not American!
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:16:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Ozgur:
I don't understand why foreigners would disrespect the laws of the country that they are visiting.  Just like the illegal immigrants here, they should be thrown in jail, serve out their sentences, and then be deported back to their country of origin.
View Quote

Execution would send a stronger message.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:21:02 PM EDT
[#40]
My wife is Thai and has been following this story.

It's bubbled up and is hot in the news so bribing your way out is not likely to work. That time passed when they got violent with the police officer.

Like others have said Thailand is very likely going to make examples out of them. Thai people do not tolerate things like this, I wish we didn't.

There is another case still in the news where a white man ended up kicking a Thai doctor over the case with his Thai wife near Phuket.

When in Thailand drive with a 1000 baht note alone in your wallet. When you get pulled over the fine will be $27 for whatever traffic violation you made, like driving while white. The officer will pull out a pad, record your name, the 1000 baht fine, and be on his way. I've been pulled over for passing slow trucks while I was doing the speed limit and paid my fine.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:42:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Maybe race factored in, maybe not.  Where is this checkpoint defenders keep speaking of?  Sounds like they earned speeding tickets which started a series of very poor decisions.   How can your Consul assist you when you are complete thugs?
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:54:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Paul:
My wife is Thai and has been following this story.

It's bubbled up and is hot in the news so bribing your way out is not likely to work. That time passed when they got violent with the police officer.

Like others have said Thailand is very likely going to make examples out of them. Thai people do not tolerate things like this, I wish we didn't.

There is another case still in the news where a white man ended up kicking a Thai doctor over the case with his Thai wife near Phuket.

When in Thailand drive with a 1000 baht note alone in your wallet. When you get pulled over the fine will be $27 for whatever traffic violation you made, like driving while white. The officer will pull out a pad, record your name, the 1000 baht fine, and be on his way. I've been pulled over for passing slow trucks while I was doing the speed limit and paid my fine.
View Quote

1000?  Holy crap inflation.  Started out 200 baht back in 1999 and last I heard most times 300.  Of course you DID have to keep the cash separate from your main stash cause if you pull out a wad of 1000s the fine might grow.  

Have to admit being pulled over for driving white hasn't happened to me in a long time.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:01:13 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

You are getting confused with the US. Try not stopping for a cop here.

That being said I know a number of people over there, we even have an ARFCOM member with his own thread over there right now. He doesn't seem to have a single issue living there or the other people I know who live there.

The Thai's showed some pretty great restraint, here in the US they probably would of been ventilated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top