Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2024 11:05:44 PM EDT
Amateur (?) gunsmith rechambers a single shot shotgun to .22 Hornet, very nearly thinks very hard about a firing pin:

#2 .22 Hornet Carbine Test Fire- A Cautionary Tale
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:08:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a primer embed itself in my forehead for a month. That shit was awful to squeeze out.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:10:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheBeaverRetriever:  I had a primer embed itself in my forehead for a month. That shit was awful to squeeze out.
View Quote

Yeah, blackheads that big get you views on YouTube.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:53:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I had to watch on mute with captions because the guy loudly smacks his damn mouth between almost every sentence.

Neat vid otherwise.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:38:47 AM EDT
[#4]
My de facto glasses are prescription safety glasses.

I rarely use my standard eyeglasses.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:25:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Tagged for after work.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:31:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I’ll post a trauma photo when I get to work
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:41:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Safety squint seems good enough for this.

My friend taught my to just use a magnet to pull stuff out of your eyes after the fact.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:44:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Magnets don’t always work

As promised…only a video
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Ouch! I hope that was under full anesthesia. I had to have something scraped off the surface of my eyeball as a kid. Think he used cocaine drops to deaden the pain. Still hurt.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:04:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Karankawa:
Ouch! I hope that was under full anesthesia. I had to have something scraped off the surface of my eyeball as a kid. Think he used cocaine drops to deaden the pain. Still hurt.
View Quote

Majority of ocular surgeries are under local. Twilight sedation can also be used and anxiolytic meds are commonly used. I don’t ever recall general anesthesia on any patients. Our peds guy might have had to in severe trauma cases when other things were being repaired as well. I’ll have to ask him. We also don’t use narcotics afterwards. Level of post operative pain is a major indicator to complications
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:18:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Karankawa:
View Quote

Magnets don't work unless you immediately and fully remove all particles. Anything that doesn't immediately get out turns to rust, which isn't magnetic, and will wreck your eye in short order.

Yeah, they can use Alcaine or whatever briefly while they're scraping, but it only lasts like 10 minutes, you can only do it a couple times in a day -  any more and it starts eating at your eyeball and causes blindness itself.

I had a piece of steel embed juust under my pupil while dremelling a loading gate for a .45LC 1860 conversion - I was wearing glasses, but it got the angle just right to jump under them.  Took 8 visits to grind all the rust ring out, they use an algerbrush for that, it's basically a little dremel and they freehand grind that shit out of your eyeball.

Second eye injury a few years later was installing a hammer and hammer spring (think AR style) into a receiver that had a deep hole it had to go into first, it all popped out and the hammer caught me right in the eye, giving me a nice new corneal abrasion.  I wasn't wearing glasses for that because it had never occurred to me to take that precaution with a simple spring loaded part.

These two cases are up there with the worst pain I've ever felt - it's constant, there's no relief until it heals other than a contact lens 'bandage' - and you'll be dripping goo into your eye every night for 6 months after so it doesn't heal into your eyelid and tear itself in the morning, which can turn into a permanent cycle if you let it happen enough.

Eyepro for everything. Full seal for anything the slightest bit iffy.   GWOT surplused so many great goggles there's no reason not to have a stack of them, ESS NVGs can be had for like $12, put 'em on when you're demeling and drill pressing and lathing and shooting new prototypes.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:22:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Curmudgeon762:

Majority of ocular surgeries are under local. Twilight sedation can also be used and anxiolytic meds are commonly used. I don’t ever recall general anesthesia on any patients. Our peds guy might have had to in severe trauma cases when other things were being repaired as well. I’ll have to ask him. We also don’t use narcotics afterwards. Level of post operative pain is a major indicator to complications
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Karankawa:  Ouch! I hope that was under full anesthesia. I had to have something scraped off the surface of my eyeball as a kid. Think he used cocaine drops to deaden the pain. Still hurt.

Do you practice S&M in your personal life as well, or just at work?  
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:56:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Do you practice S&M in your personal life as well, or just at work?  
View Quote

It doesn’t pay as well
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:58:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FG24U] [#14]
Originally Posted By arr199:

Magnets don't work unless you immediately and fully remove all particles. Anything that doesn't immediately get out turns to rust, which isn't magnetic, and will wreck your eye in short order.

Yeah, they can use Alcaine or whatever briefly while they're scraping, but it only lasts like 10 minutes, you can only do it a couple times in a day -  any more and it starts eating at your eyeball and causes blindness itself.

I had a piece of steel embed juust under my pupil while dremelling a loading gate for a .45LC 1860 conversion - I was wearing glasses, but it got the angle just right to jump under them.  Took 8 visits to grind all the rust ring out, they use an algerbrush for that, it's basically a little dremel and they freehand grind that shit out of your eyeball.

https://d163axztg8am2h.cloudfront.net/static/img/53/cf/c964d85019f3c67c04f6ade18692.webp

Second eye injury a few years later was installing a hammer and hammer spring (think AR style) into a receiver that had a deep hole it had to go into first, it all popped out and the hammer caught me right in the eye, giving me a nice new corneal abrasion.  I wasn't wearing glasses for that because it had never occurred to me to take that precaution with a simple spring loaded part.

These two cases are up there with the worst pain I've ever felt - it's constant, there's no relief until it heals other than a contact lens 'bandage' - and you'll be dripping goo into your eye every night for 6 months after so it doesn't heal into your eyelid and tear itself in the morning, which can turn into a permanent cycle if you let it happen enough.

Eyepro for everything. Full seal for anything the slightest bit iffy.   GWOT surplused so many great goggles there's no reason not to have a stack of them, ESS NVGs can be had for like $12, put 'em on when you're demeling and drill pressing and lathing and shooting new prototypes.
View Quote

That thing and my wive’s “foreign body removal kit” were enough to scare me into being more serious about PPE.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Once managed to get a sliver of steel embedded in my eye while working on my car, intern used a hypodermic needle to get under it and lift it out.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:10:09 AM EDT
[#16]
ATGAT = all the gear, all the time!

I'm a firm believer.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:10:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By TheBeaverRetriever:
I had a primer embed itself in my forehead for a month. That shit was awful to squeeze out.
View Quote

I got a sizzling hot primer in my forearm once, and since I was bench shooting it was only a couple inches away from my eye.  It really cooked itself into my skin, the scar is a nice reminder to wear my safety glasses.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:05:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By FG24U:

That thing and my wive’s “foreign body removal kit” were enough to scare me into being more serious about PPE.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Like this? Minus the Alger brush..
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:07:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Commando223] [#19]
I had a rear sight fly off a gsg .22 1911 and hit my shooting glasses where my eye is. Really glad I was using them then.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:09:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Commando223:  I had a rear sight fly off a gsg .22 1911 and hit my shooting glasses where my eye is. Really glad I was using them then.
View Quote

When the Germans go cheap, they're cheaper than Jimenez.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Pulled a ricochet 22lr out of my Arm and a piece of a 308 took a chunk out of my neck.

Also have had three tiny metal fragments removed from my eye.

Always wear your eye pro.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Magnets don’t always work

As promised…only a video
View Quote

Awww, damnit.  That was hard to watch.  I had to stop.  I'm gonna lay down for a minute.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:33:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Gulftanker:
I had to watch on mute with captions because the guy loudly smacks his damn mouth between almost every sentence.

Neat vid otherwise.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Gun looks like fun, I'm glad he didn't get any serious injuries.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top