Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 11/10/2022 8:02:12 PM EDT
What is your thoughts on a retired O-3E wearing his Navy dress uniform to his grandson graduation from army basic training?

Link Posted: 11/10/2022 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Nah
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 8:09:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it is attention whoring!
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 8:14:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 8:19:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Keep it about him.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 8:22:30 PM EDT
[#5]
If he’s retired, he fully rates the uniform.

If he’s within weight and grooming standards, and the uniform is serviceable and squared away, he’s good to go.

He probably shouldn’t show up in evening dress with a boat cape, full-sized anodized medals, a sword and one of those commodore hats, but a service uniform would be fully appropriate.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Unless you got out last month, how does it still fit?
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 8:24:01 PM EDT
[#7]
No, dick move. Its about their accomplishments not a spectator
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 8:29:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Yea-Right:
Unless you got out last month, how does it still fit?
View Quote

AIDS!  It is my brother and he lost a lot of weight and looks good.  I think it takes away from his grandson and was attention whoring because he can fit into his uniform for the first time in 25 years…
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 8:33:15 PM EDT
[#9]
A family member was scorned for decades for the exact same thing. My family was fubar, so YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 8:44:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By zach_:
A family member was scorned for decades for the exact same thing. My family was fubar, so YMMV.
View Quote

I love my brother but he and his hag wife are Vietnam “ era” veterans and go to all of the home town hero shit and free meals they can get.  I told him once that our dad was a real combat veteran. A Corpsman in Korea / Vietnam and he never did any of that shit.

I’m disappointed…
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 8:45:07 PM EDT
[#11]
No. Just no.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 8:55:18 PM EDT
[#12]
No, thread needs a poll
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I just asked him if he is going to show up at his other grandsons high school graduation wearing his Graduate School Regalia!
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 8:59:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Really would ask the grandson.

I wore my Army Class A's to my sons Because he asked me to.  I put on his blue cord.

YMMV
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 9:02:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: QCMGR] [#15]
Originally Posted By garyd:
Really would ask the grandson.

I wore my Army Class A's to my sons Because he asked me to.  I put on his blue cord.

YMMV
View Quote

You could possibly make and argument for son or daughter.  I’m talking grandpaw!

Added @Currahee
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 9:06:45 PM EDT
[#16]
While I still have mine, i doubt they fit.   If they did fit, I would beg off wearing them even if asked to.

It’s one thing if you’re a retired general or sgt. major.  You’re still a thing,...kind of.  An E6 O3 um no dog, thanks for serving, Applebee’s has a half price burger just for you.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 9:30:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:
While I still have mine, i doubt they fit.   If they did fit, I would beg off wearing them even if asked to.

It’s one thing if you’re a retired general or sgt. major.  You’re still a thing,...kind of.  An E6 O3 um no dog, thanks for serving, Applebee’s has a half price burger just for you.
View Quote

That was my thought!  Pure attention whoring!
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 9:33:51 PM EDT
[#18]
No, don't do anything to take attention away from the grandson.  Show up, be supportive, and shut the hell up.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 10:01:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By kymarkh:
No, don't do anything to take attention away from the grandson.  Show up, be supportive, and shut the hell up.
View Quote

Give me some ideas to shame him!
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 10:22:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By QCMGR:

View Quote

Ask him to explain how he fell asleep on Fire Guard!
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 10:28:22 PM EDT
[#21]
How does one retire an O3?

And full disclosure, my brother in law was an active O3 when I graduated. He wore his uniform to mine.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 10:36:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Currahee:

And full disclosure, my brother in law was an active O3 when I graduated. He wore his uniform to mine.
View Quote

O3E.

Prior enlisted.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 10:50:24 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

I can see that.  One of my friends is a retired BG an went to his sons graduation from the Naval Academy.

But my knuckle head brother going to an Army basic training graduation….attention whore!
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 11:37:18 PM EDT
[#24]
I wear mine everywhere

Link Posted: 11/11/2022 12:11:03 AM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

LoL!
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#26]
I’m sure my brother and his hag are wearing their military hats today!
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 10:21:20 PM EDT
[#27]
100% nope.

Make it about the kid who just graduated, not some nerd who retired.  Wearing your uniform to someone elses event is lame.

Only time it's acceptable is when the kid specifically requests it, or if the schoolhouse mandates it for certain attendees i.e. Navy bootcamp.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 10:36:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FDC] [#28]
I could still fit in mine.  It, along with my jump boots, was one of the first thing I chopped up and tossed at the transfer station when I retired.

I'm not hating on it, but I don't get the wont to wear a uniform once you're done.  I'm not playing Army anymore, so no uniform for me.

Link Posted: 11/12/2022 11:01:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I can see a Granddad wearing his Class A's and pinning Jump Wings on a new Paratrooper.

That's about it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 9:53:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Noble gesture but nope would not do.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

I was a ssg before I went to the dark side(full disclosure-my branch was warrant when I was getting ready to go and changed to commissioned)  I had just pinned major on 1.5 years after I qualified for retirement -I would have been an 03E
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 1:15:30 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't see an issue either way.  There's nothing wrong with being proud of your service, or that a family member is following the same path.  There's also nothing wrong with keeping it low-key and contained within the family.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 10:54:37 PM EDT
[#33]
What is your thoughts on a retired O-3E wearing his Navy dress uniform to his grandson graduation from army basic training?

View Quote

No. It’s his day.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:38:00 AM EDT
[#34]
I went to two bct grads while I was still in. Hell no I wasn’t in uniform. Went to one when I was out. Hell no I wasn’t in uniform.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:56:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Tell him to get one of those ballcaps that say Vietnam Vet and leave it at that
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 1:19:20 PM EDT
[#36]
I’m retired from the Air Force and I’m 50/50 on this matter.  Time and place should be a big part of the decision.  Many times seeing vets wearing their uniform always seemed like that were trying to seek attention from people.  They often looked like shit while doing it with an ill fitting uniform, accoutrements misplaced, grooming out of standards, etc.  They should know better because they once knew how to wear that uniform right.  

I like what I see vets do in Britain and the Commonwealth countries to.  They wear a suit with their medals over the left breat of their suit coat and wear whatever regimental headgear or they have their regimental crest on their suit as well.  I think thats tasteful, not a shit sandwich like I see some of our veterans do when they hit up Golden Corral and Applebees on Veterans Day.  

The best instance I ever saw a retiree wearing the uniform was at my friends promotion ceremony to Chief Master Sergeant.  My friends Mom is a retired Army E-8 and she wore her dress uniform to the ceremony.  Mind you she’s been retried since the early 90’s, she still looked the part and that was awesome.  People thought she was still in the service and were asking her what unit she was in who she knew at the ceremony.  

In most cases common sense should prevail here.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 1:14:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
If he’s retired, he fully rates the uniform.

If he’s within weight and grooming standards, and the uniform is serviceable and squared away, he’s good to go.

He probably shouldn’t show up in evening dress with a boat cape, full-sized anodized medals, a sword and one of those commodore hats, but a service uniform would be fully appropriate.
View Quote

This. Do it right, or don't do it. If in doubt, don't do it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Look at me! Look at me!

No, would not.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Does it still fit and do you need a haircut?
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#40]
It's the grandsons day to be recognized. Leave your uniform at home
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 11:38:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By savoy3:
It's the grandsons day to be recognized. Leave your uniform at home
View Quote

That’s what I said!
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 4:51:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RolandofGilead] [#42]
I guess I'll dissent a bit here. There will be tons of people in uniform there, nobody is going to pay attention to one more guy in uniform either way, so it's not taking attention away from him IMO. Further, as long as it's the appropriate uniform of the day I don't really see the issue.
I wore mine to 3 of my son's graduations from bootcamp, but they also wanted me to be in the "first salute" ceremony the Coast Guard does.

ETA- I think another way to look at it is paying the proper respect to the event- it IS a military event after all, not attention whoring at a wedding or something.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 1:15:00 AM EDT
[#43]
If he says yes then wear your uniform or you could just wear your vfw / American legion cap or mini medals or white new balance.

I really like the commodore hat idea.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 11:24:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: anesvick] [#44]

View Quote
Dude, he's going to be an old fart in a junior Naval officer's uniform, at an Army graduation.  

I mean, if you could sneak some rainbow dick pins onto his epaulets, that would be awesome,  but there will be shame enough for the whole family.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 11:52:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Not a chance I would, unless my grandson asked me to.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 3:25:57 AM EDT
[#46]
The f*ck does it matter to anyone else? Would the grandson appreciate it? Does he value that he comes from a lineage of those that serve?

Retired Army E-8 father gave me my first salute when I commissioned in USAF. While I am supposed to hand him a coin, he in fact handed me his last unit's coin while yelling "Black Horse, Sir." F*cking means the world to me to this day.

My grandfather in law was a battlefield commission to Major from enlisted during Vietnam. Led his unit out of an ambush and received the Silver Star. I welcome him to any of my ceremonies in his uniform. I'm damn proud of my family's heritage, whether my own blood line or my wife's family.

Instead of asking some strangers, how about you ask the graduate and abide by his wishes?
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 3:34:48 AM EDT
[#47]
You might want to point out that as a cold war era vet there will be 20yr old E-3’s with monster racks walking around that post. Cold war non combat arms guys have the saddest little racks. lol
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 5:58:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Again?
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 8:12:13 AM EDT
[#49]
I cringe when I see guys with fat 65 year old waistlines wearing dress uniforms.

One local guy likes to wear his custom tailored by Omar the tent maker fat man blues on every occasion.   Come on guy, wear a scarlet marine corps league blazer.  

I have a round shape myself, there is no way in the world I would wear mine even if I was slim again.  The last time I had my dress uniform on was by request by family for a WW2 vet and close relative’s military funeral.  I still had a valid reserve ID card then though.  Once out that is a pretty firm no.

I can get conflicted though.   I was 18 and just out of boot camp and a gal I had known for years growing up had a severe crush on me wanted me to wear my dress uniform and take her to her senior prom.   That was tempting due to hormones and immaturity.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#50]
I would wear my retired pin.  That's about it.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top