Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2024 8:49:41 PM EDT
As a cheeky prelude to the eclipse, my old reliable HF welding hood flashed me 3 times last night while practicing TIG, resulting in a rather sore left eye today. The last two times were after I had changed the battery and hit the test button to verify that it should be working. Before my wife could remind me that it was a Father’s Day present from 10 years ago, I broke it and threw it in the trash. Fool me thrice, and all that…

I did some looking around last night and found a Lincoln Viking 2450 for $285ish plus rebates.

What’s the hotness in auto-darkening welding hoods for under $300? I weld monthly, sometimes weekly and my wife is still pretty enough that I’d like to preserve my vision.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:35:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Get one of the new ones that are true color or whatever they call it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:56:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jkees] [#2]
Yeah that Lincoln Viking should be GTG.
At that price range pretty much all the name brands perform about the same, in my opinion it just comes down to comfort, coloration of the lens, and how cheap the sacrificial lens' are.

<---- I run an ESAB sentinel for my non PAPR hood which for me is extremely comfortable, awesome lens coloration/clarity, but the sacrificial lens are pretty expensive and not available locally outside of ordering them. I don't find this to be an issue as I wear it for my job, so the relatively small cost of the lens is worth it to me. YMMV
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 10:44:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I dislike the Lincolns that have a knob adjustment for shading on the side of the hood.  The knob gets bumped when you lay the helmet down and it is not intuitive which direction you need to turn it.  

I have the expensive weldcote and I like it, the batteries last many years and it’s never flashed me.  

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 10:56:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I just get the 2 year warranty on my Vulcan hood and exchange it

Lots of the guys at work use the ESAB sentinel, and the sacrificial lenses are provided so it works out well. I'm a submerged arc welder so I seldom use a hood unless making repairs or filling in for someone else
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 5:10:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Been rolling the Savage A40 for $100. Ekk! Looks like it's $140 now. No complaints, but it's just a basic helmet.

I had a cheap Hobart helmet from TSC, but during the summer when I left it in the truck, the heat would distort the shape and I'd have to let it relax back out. I bought a Vulcan, but passed it to my son to use. Can't say I had much issue with using either, except the vulcan had some issue with LED lighting flicker.

But I haven't done much welding the last 6 months, lots of other projects taking precedence.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:18:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought another Miller Digital Performance after my last one flash me 3 times in a day.  It was about 10 yeaes old, so that's a good lifetime.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:34:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MethaneMover:
I bought another Miller Digital Performance after my last one flash me 3 times in a day.  It was about 10 yeaes old, so that's a good lifetime.
View Quote

I did the same as I like it better than my digital infinity for all but low amp tig.   New digital performance is nice, but way too sensative for outdoor use.  Even on zero sensativity it darkens way too easily.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:41:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I was a helmet clarity snob for years. Weldcoat makes a clear and affordable helmet that has great visibility. My speedglas xxi just sits as a spare now.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:23:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:26:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Drooopy:

I did the same as I like it better than my digital infinity for all but low amp tig.   New digital performance is nice, but way too sensative for outdoor use.  Even on zero sensativity it darkens way too easily.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Damn.  I weld with the shop doors open when I'm using the wire machines.  My original was quite sensitive to the sun, this may be worse.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:43:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firearmsenthusiast] [#11]
I have a Hobart Inventor, I think it was $80 on sale at TSC.  I am pretty damn happy with it, lens is good, they have cheap accessories like cheater lenses, parts are available everywhere.

I do mostly TIG.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MKRYWMD?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:47:50 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote
^ Best value for a welding helmet out there.  It just works and works well.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:51:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Buy once, cry once. I have a hazard fraught Vulcan of some sort. Worked ok for a while. It is #4 when not activated, or when the batteries are dead. Most recently, I've had it flicker in and out. I'd much rather have it fail safe (i.e. fail dark) than fail in a potentially hazardous condition.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:11:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Damn.  I weld with the shop doors open when I'm using the wire machines.  My original was quite sensitive to the sun, this may be worse.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Got to weld with this for the first time on Sunday, holy hell the lenses have come a long way.  The clarity is amazing!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top