Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2024 5:32:10 PM EDT
Motoring along at 50 mph today, enjoying the great weather, when a BIG ASS turkey vulture flies out of the woods to my right and decides to occupy the space between me and my windscreen!

While the bird flopped around, I slowed VERY quickly while wishing I had worn my brown pants. Once I got slow enough, it flew up and over my left shoulder.

Holy shit...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#2]
*buzzard
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 6:03:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Buzzard targeted some road kill appetizer
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 6:05:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By intheburbs:
LOL

No feathers as souvenirs?
View Quote

I was actually surprised there were no feathers or birdshit.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn, very lucky!

I still have a smidge on my lid from a turkey vulture leg. I came barreling around the corner, leaned way over and surprised a turkey vulture having breakfast in the middle of the road.  He tried taking off, I tried slowing down and when flew underneath him flapping his wings (and I even tried to duck) and THUNK…….clocked him.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:15:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Similar story. Group of 5 of us riding a back road. Turkey vultures on roadkill and they take off as we approach. One of them wanted to get back to lunch, circles around prematurely and hit rider 4 right in the shoulder. Almost knocked him off the bike. He is now known as Buzzard and will forever be explaining his road name.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:46:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Apparently it's time again to post the vid of my buddy Joe taking a turkey to the dome.

Getting flipped the bird on a superMoto

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:03:40 AM EDT
[#8]
@rcrtr to the white courtesy phone
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:45:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:49:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I aced one with the handguard on my Hypermotard between 70-80.  DRT.  It came flying up out of the ditch to the right.  Lets see if I can find the pictures.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:51:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By VACaver:
Motoring along at 50 mph today, enjoying the great weather, when a BIG ASS turkey vulture flies out of the woods to my right and decides to occupy the space between me and my windscreen!

While the bird flopped around, I slowed VERY quickly while wishing I had worn my brown pants. Once I got slow enough, it flew up and over my left shoulder.

Holy shit...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/100647/Windscreen_Space_jpg-3150302.JPG
View Quote

I haven't actually connected with one yet but many close calls with those things while riding. They take off to low and slow and are usually at head height.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:14:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Butternut:
I once had my visor up while going about 50 and a hornet or yellow jacket lodged between my helmet and cheek, and then stung my cheek. I'll never forget that...
View Quote

Ouch!

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:02:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Vague:
@rcrtr to the white courtesy phone
View Quote

Oh yeah....
A couple of us were on a country road doing about 50 when a turkey came out of the woods from my left. I had just enough time to tighten my grip when it hit my rib cage and my wifes hand where she was holding on to me. It hurt and knocked my breath out. I stopped and my buddy comes rolling up laughing his ass off. there were feathers everywhere.
I rode back to the scene and heard some rustling in the woods.......one shot from my .38 silenced the wounded bird. Had the wife holding it and rode to a friends where we ate that fuckers breast and heart.

AIRBORNE!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Butternut:
I once had my visor up while going about 50 and a hornet or yellow jacket lodged between my helmet and cheek, and then stung my cheek. I'll never forget that...
View Quote

I had a bumble bee get caught inside of my collar once while riding. Bitch stung me multiple times.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 6:33:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By PinePig:
Apparently it's time again to post the vid of my buddy Joe taking a turkey to the dome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDtZFXfqrSU
View Quote

Ouch. But, funny later.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Nailed canadian goose once jumped out from behind some shrubs along the road, asshole broke my carbon fiber front fender.

Did catch a bat once after it hit my chest one night was wedged between my balls and tank.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Glad that you were not hurt.

I had a very close call with an actual turkey once. He flew out of a field to my right while I was in the middle of a 45 MPH curve. His legs were on both sides of my windshield. I bet the windshield left a crease in the turkey's tail. There was a conservation area parking lot right after coming out of the curve. Needless to say I pulled into the lot to check myself.

Lesson learned, you can hang off the side of your motorcycle while going 55 mph through a 45 mph curve while avoiding evil turkeys hell bent on taking motorcycles out.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 3:32:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akcaribouhunter] [#19]
A lot smaller but I have had ptarmigan bounce off the snogo windshield and my head.

Was doing about 50mph.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:15:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By dragoontwo:
I aced one with the handguard on my Hypermotard between 70-80.  DRT.  It came flying up out of the ditch to the right.  Lets see if I can find the pictures.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:29:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the laugh, I'm glad you're ok.

I had it, once, where I was leaving my neighborhood, visor up, like in your photo.  I was doing 15-20mph and had a single dove shoot in front of me, from left to right.  A split second later, his/her mate was in my face and I was spitting dove feet out of my mouth.  I, thankfully, came to a quick stop and pulled it out of my face/mouth and threw it aside. And he/she took off.  I don't know who was going "oh shit, oh shit" more!  lol
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 12:50:56 AM EDT
[#22]
You should review your hygiene practices if you have vultures landing on you.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:47:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:54:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By scrambler28:
You should review your hygiene practices if you have vultures landing on you.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By CajunMojo:

I had a bumble bee get caught inside of my collar once while riding. Bitch stung me multiple times.
View Quote

That must be a thing. 2 years ago I was on the blue ridge Parkway and had a bumble bee get trapped between my coat collar and my neck. It stung me in the neck real good.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 12:11:45 AM EDT
[#26]
My grandad was a shade tree mechanic.  A friend of his was driving and as he crested a hill, there was a dead deer and some buzzards took flight ahead of him and actually broke through his windshield (1940s or 1950s vehicle without laminated glass, apparently).  The birds puked up rotten meat inside the car, which in turn made him do the same.  He drove to my granddad’s house and asked him what he could do with it.  My grandfather said the smell was so bad it would make your eyes water, so he told him taking it somewhere else would be a good start.  He would visit my grandfather years later and they would joke about taking buzzards for a ride.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:53:13 AM EDT
[#27]
I've had a few...

Lady threw a cigarette out of her car window, it went right into my helmet(Visor up). Got stuck between my left ear and helmet, pulled over as quickly as possible. It took a few weeks for the smell of cigarettes and burnt hair to go away.

In college I was taking a final and kept hearing a buzz/vibration. When I finished my exam I finally realized what it was. I had a bee stuck between my t-shirt and undershirt. I handed in my exam, went straight outside and took my shirt off, and away went the bee.

Riding to work one morning on my KLR650 a cat ran right in front of me. Caught it dead center of the front wheel. I wasn't sure what happened to the cat until I rode in the next morning...squished cat, right where I hit it.

Riding to work on my KTM990A one morning in the car pool lane, the car in front of me swerved, I slowed down a bit but had no where to go, cars to the right, cement barrier to the left and a 10ft ladder laying across my lane. I was probably going 45mph at this point, I just leaned back and tried to wheelie over, which went better than I expected, I didn't wreck. Thank goodness for a dirt bike back ground.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By mleaky:
I've had a few...

Lady threw a cigarette out of her car window, it went right into my helmet(Visor up). Got stuck between my left ear and helmet, pulled over as quickly as possible. It took a few weeks for the smell of cigarettes and burnt hair to go away.

In college I was taking a final and kept hearing a buzz/vibration. When I finished my exam I finally realized what it was. I had a bee stuck between my t-shirt and undershirt. I handed in my exam, went straight outside and took my shirt off, and away went the bee.

Riding to work one morning on my KLR650 a cat ran right in front of me. Caught it dead center of the front wheel. I wasn't sure what happened to the cat until I rode in the next morning...squished cat, right where I hit it.

Riding to work on my KTM990A one morning in the car pool lane, the car in front of me swerved, I slowed down a bit but had no where to go, cars to the right, cement barrier to the left and a 10ft ladder laying across my lane. I was probably going 45mph at this point, I just leaned back and tried to wheelie over, which went better than I expected, I didn't wreck. Thank goodness for a dirt bike back ground.
View Quote

I was riding my CB350 Twin to work late at night and the guy in the car in front of me flicked his cigarette out the window. I didn't see it coming until it hit me in the chest. Sparks everywhere! I didn't know what happened and it scared the crap out of me. Quickly pulled over, saw the scorch marks, smelled it, and realized what had happened.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top