Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2024 7:54:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GripnAK47s]
Im pretty paranoid about RC batteries and make sure to charge them and put them in storage charge correctly.

That said, I do set them on the charger and walk away...which I know is not recommended.

We have a ton of RC stuff and im lucky to have a whole separate building to keep it all in.

Kids got done running their arrma gorgans and I set the batteries on storage charge with my Peak 100x4 big charger.

Couple hours later I ran out there to get something outta the building and it was filled with smoke and the wall was on fire. No idea what happened, but there were alot of complaints on the charger about faulty fans which would make it overheat. That said, no idea.

Posting this for a couple reasons. 1 as a reminder to you guys not to get complacent like me. 2 to see what the best course of action is for storage.

Im thinking some kind of steel cabinet that sits outside? Something like a gas can storage cabinet. Do I need to be worried about extreme temps in the summer?

This was definitely a wake up call for me and maybe helps someone out there to take precaution before devastation.

No one was hurt and its just "stuff"...but man this sucks!

Link Posted: 2/12/2024 8:05:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stillnothere] [#1]
Well that's certainly a wakeup call! Glad you caught it before it spread. What did it take to get it put out?
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 10:08:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GripnAK47s] [#2]
For sure. Im going to have to find a way to store about 50 batteries!

A while back I had grass fire by the house and had to rush to put a bunch of hoses together. That made me have a long hose already ready in the event of another fire happening.

Ran to the garage and grabbed my 3M mask I wear for spraying paint, then just ran in with the hose quick to put it out. Cut the power at the box and ran out. Put a fan blowing out and watched it all night to make sure nothing kicked back up.

Learn something new with each disaster in my life :D  
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 10:24:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I understand that they go hand in hand, but you think it was the charger, not the battery?
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 10:29:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't trust the batteries.  I have considered making a tiny shed with an AC unit on it that I charge and store them in.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 11:45:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:59:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Hard to say what happened.

I want to say the batteries wouldn't blow without being over charged by the charger.

That said, one time we got done running our xmaxx's and I got lazy and forgot to hook up 2 of the 4 batteries for storage charge. Came back the next day and they were all swollen up and I threw them out.

Thinking its dangerous all the way around!

Makes me think about how much lithium batteries are under a tesla
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 12:11:14 PM EDT
[#7]
A neighbor had his garage catch fire.  He was buying china rc things on ebay and flipping them on Craigs.  He lost two frame off restored classic cars (GTO and a Vette), a tractor, and three cars in the driveway.  Fire dept arrived just as the flames got through the firewall to the main house and did damage.  His house had to be gutted and he was displaced for over a year.  I was there when they pulled the cars out of the garage, and they were a total loss. It was 2AM and the smoke alarms saved their lives.  I was awakened around 3AM when they were refilling the apparatus with water right outside my house.  I heard the diesel engine and looked out the window to see blue and red lights.  I thought my house was on fire.

He was not happy with GEICO shenanigans.

Battery tool lovers that keep their batts on the chargers are also at risk.  There have been several CPSC recalls on various models for fire hazard.

Link Posted: 2/13/2024 12:14:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I've heard of people repurposing a grill as a charging station. Like an old gas grill. They can handle the heat and are open to allow cords and things to plug in.

I may go that route, but I'm not sure how the heat/cold of the garage would hurt the batteries.

Sorry if I missed it, but what batteries were they?
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 12:39:37 PM EDT
[#9]
When I flew CP helis, the battery charging always produced a little anxiety.  Especially the 550-700 size birds with high discharge, high capacity lipos.

So.  I charged my batteries in a fireproof bag, inside a large ammo can lined with fire-proof brick.  I'd close the lid, but not latch it.

Link Posted: 2/13/2024 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TotalUnRecall:
Man that sucks OP. I charge mine on a metal wire rack and store batteries in ammo cans with part of the seal removed. Even still, the thought of what happened to you is always on my mind.
View Quote

@TotalUnRecall
I get the idea of allowing a can to vent, but isn't this just going to let the fire out of the box? I've seen plenty of Lipo battery fires online and it seems like trying to contain completely and let the can vent pressure through deformation is the best way?
Just curious what your thought process is. I'm about to lock up every lithium battery I have in some sort of burn box.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#11]
How much insulation would triple layer sheetrock buy us?

It would still need to vent outside.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a friend have one blow up when I was a kid.  Luckily they weren't in the room.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 2:56:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GripnAK47s] [#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
I've heard of people repurposing a grill as a charging station. Like an old gas grill. They can handle the heat and are open to allow cords and things to plug in.

I may go that route, but I'm not sure how the heat/cold of the garage would hurt the batteries.

Sorry if I missed it, but what batteries were they?
View Quote

Cheap 2s amazon batteries. They were less than 2 months old. Maybe 5 runs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B098KY79NX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 4:08:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#14]
Originally Posted By GripnAK47s:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B098KY79NX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
View Quote

Rule #1: Don't use cheap ass batteries. There are a ton of valid places to cut corners. Things that have a tendency to explode or otherwise cause glorious fires is not one of those areas.

I buy expensive Spektrum batteries. I sleep pretty well. Whenever I hear of these Lipo fires it is almost always from cheap Amazon knock off batteries.

To each their own, but I'm not surprised. Maybe anecdotal, maybe there is something to it though.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 4:28:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Fellow RC nerd.  Damn man, glad you caught it!  I always worry about this kind of thing happening.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 5:51:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

Rule #1: Don't use cheap ass batteries. There are a ton of valid places to cut corners. Things that have a tendency to explode or otherwise cause glorious fires is not one of those areas.

I buy expensive Spektrum batteries. I sleep pretty well. Whenever I hear of these Lipo fires it is almost always from cheap Amazon knock off batteries.

To each their own, but I'm not surprised. Maybe anecdotal, maybe there is something to it though.
View Quote

Hey Im taking donations for my crack like RC habit buddy, PM me for my cash app

As far as I know they all come from china and can catch fire.

Maybe some are better than others.

I always see people poo pooing Traxxas batteries

Are they better than any other china battery? Who knows, maybe.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 9:55:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TotalUnRecall] [#17]
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 2:53:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By GripnAK47s:

View Quote

Yeah... I would've told you those are bad news bro. Never cheap out on Lipos.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 5:14:34 AM EDT
[#19]
im not into batteries much sorry for dumb question.

ive seen this with batteries alot lately. im wondering if my batteries are safe to store in house now. ive got a saw can full of lithium energizer aa and cr123a surefire batteries and the only rechargable is a mega bright cloud defense owl. should i be concerned at all? ive left the big lithium owl batteries charging alone before.

its any lithium rechargable and not the non rechargable lithium thats starting fires correct?

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 6:30:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By AK47_COMMBLOC:
im not into batteries much sorry for dumb question.

ive seen this with batteries alot lately. im wondering if my batteries are safe to store in house now. ive got a saw can full of lithium energizer aa and cr123a surefire batteries and the only rechargable is a mega bright cloud defense owl. should i be concerned at all? ive left the big lithium owl batteries charging alone before.

its any lithium rechargable and not the non rechargable lithium thats starting fires correct?

View Quote

Batteries don’t self combust. If they did, every Home Depot and Lowes would have burned down long ago. The problem is in the cheap battery management systems (BMS) of the chargers. Large batteries have the BMS built in, which makes it seem the battery itself is to blame, but it is the BMS. The BMS manages over-voltage, over-current, over-temperature, and charging profile. When Wang Hung Lo designs cheap electronics with brainless algorithms, you get fires.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 9:05:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Lexington:

Batteries don’t self combust.
View Quote

This is factually and empirically untrue.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:04:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By jos51700:

View Quote

Yes, but I think it's worth mentioning how lipos actually explode and catch fire.

If all studies done, it's pretty conclusive that these are all caused by the same thing. The battery internally shorts for whatever reason...likely crap internal wiring or on board circuitry, this causes it to overheat. Overheating leads to off gassing. Off gassing of flammable gasses lead to the explosion that is often reported, which leads to bigger fire, which leads to more off gassing, etc. Lithium batteries have their own oxygen and so can self sustain, and thermal runaway keeps the process going which is why they are notoriously difficult to put out.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:15:46 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lexington:

Batteries don’t self combust.

Without you stating anything factual, would you feel better if I said "extremely rare"? And probably so rare that the incidence we do see is not largely attributable to battery physics but is instead attributable to poor battery management. Now you may expound on your knowledge of BMS and why bazillions of AAA, AA, and 9V lithium batteries are not catching fire on the shelf in department stores.

Why Do Batteries Sometimes Catch Fire and Explode?
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:38:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I charge either in a cold woodburner stove.  Or outside on cement away from any structure, and shaded.  
I haven’t don’t much flying lately when it wasn’t nice so using either was not a problem.  
Some people will set some cinder blocks outside and put the batteries in the holes while charging

There used to be some ceramic pots that were sold for storing batteries while charging - they had vent holes too so if a battery did start to combust it wouldn’t turn into more of a bomb than it already was.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top