Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2024 9:45:09 PM EDT
More like a truggy actually.

Ordered an Arrma Kraton 8s EXB. Should be here Tuesday.

Honestly a little nervous about watching some videos online. Seems like the electronics can be killed pretty easy from what I'm seeing.

Time will tell I guess!
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 11:48:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AR15Texan] [#1]
Should be a handful.  Do you have skills with RC cars or is this your first one?

Do you have a track to run it at?  After you run a few batteries through it you'll want some competition.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 11:59:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AR15Texan:
Should be a handful.  Do you have skills with RC cars or is this your first one?

Do you have a track to run it at?  After you run a few batteries through it you'll want some competition.
View Quote

I've had hobby-class RC going back to 1999.

I've had about 30 cars, from a 2wd brushed Stampede to a 76mph Serpent Impact M2 235mm 4wd racing machine, and everything in between. Brushed, brushless, nitro, I've had .12s, .15s, .21 engined cars, trucks, buggies, etc.

I've also had 3 collective pitch helicopters, three airplanes, and 2 drones.

Currently I have four vehicles (well, 4 including the Kraton), the other three are all 4x4 Rustlers. I wanted an Arrma.

So yeah, I'm very well versed, and very comfortable, but I have never had 1/5 scale. Largest I've had previously was 1/8th, so it's a new world still. Never had anything with a motor quite this powerful.

I plan on starting with 6s, and getting comfortable first.

I have three Rustlers so others can drive with me. My neighbors all love to have a good time and run them in our 0.4 acre lot, and two of them have bought their own since introducing them to them 2 years ago. Another neighbor had also bought one, but they moved away. Womp womp.

Family portrait of my first four hobby class that started it all. Traxxas Stampede, E-Maxx, T-Maxx, and a GS Storm.

There Rustlers I have currently:

Link Posted: 1/8/2024 12:04:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Username checks out
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 12:07:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By kallnojoy:
Username checks out
View Quote

Turn your phone sideways.

Link Posted: 1/8/2024 12:46:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 9:58:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

I've had hobby-class RC going back to 1999.

I've had about 30 cars, from a 2wd brushed Stampede to a 76mph Serpent Impact M2 235mm 4wd racing machine, and everything in between. Brushed, brushless, nitro, I've had .12s, .15s, .21 engined cars, trucks, buggies, etc.

I've also had 3 collective pitch helicopters, three airplanes, and 2 drones.

Currently I have four vehicles (well, 4 including the Kraton), the other three are all 4x4 Rustlers. I wanted an Arrma.

So yeah, I'm very well versed, and very comfortable, but I have never had 1/5 scale. Largest I've had previously was 1/8th, so it's a new world still. Never had anything with a motor quite this powerful.

I plan on starting with 6s, and getting comfortable first.

I have three Rustlers so others can drive with me. My neighbors all love to have a good time and run them in our 0.4 acre lot, and two of them have bought their own since introducing them to them 2 years ago. Another neighbor had also bought one, but they moved away. Womp womp.

Family portrait of my first four hobby class that started it all. Traxxas Stampede, E-Maxx, T-Maxx, and a GS Storm.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/IMG_20210415_202300_01_jpg-2561802.JPG

There Rustlers I have currently:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/20230308_210147-2739018.jpg
View Quote

Always like the look of the Rustlers.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By EvoXGunner:

Always like the look of the Rustlers.
View Quote

Yeah, they are neat. The 4x4 is nice. I had a 2wd kit rustler way back when. And then my daughter notices they make a pink one now. Game over. Have three of them now.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 2:51:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Now expected Friday.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 4:14:43 AM EDT
[#9]
In for pics. Looks fun.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 4:28:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I want a couple of the nicer RC tanks.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:14:21 PM EDT
[#11]
This thing is insane.

It's wider than my Rustlers are long.

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Cool.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:59:34 PM EDT
[#13]
This thing is insane.

It's wider than my Rustlers are long.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/1000009002-3090621.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/1000009001-3090622.jpg
View Quote

Need some action videos.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:31:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#14]
Does anyone have Arrma and feel the Spektrum ESC neutral zone is way, way too big? I have to give this damn thing quarter throttle for it to start moving.

ETA seems like it only acts this way on 50% throttle mode.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Took it out today. No video. It was raining but didn't want to wait any longer.

It's a beast. No idea what speed it hit but it's not slow, especially for how big it is. It is surprisingly well planted. I'm actually really impressed with how stable it was. Made huge rooster tails in the yard too flinging water up.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 6:37:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#16]
Dropped another $700 today on two 10,000mAh basher 4s batteries and a DX5 Pro transmitter.

I have a problem.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 6:18:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Dropped another $700 today on two 10,000mAh basher 4s batteries and a DX5 Pro transmitter.

I have a problem.
View Quote

It's not a money problem unless your credit card debt is larger that you house mortgage

Get another one and put straps on them and you could use them as powered roller skates. You would be saving the planet from global warming, cooling or change, what ever they come up with next.

Nice unit.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:08:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Well picked up the DX5 Pro.

Can't get the telemetry to work. I thought this Kraton had it out of the box. What the heck.

Any pointers @TotalUnRecall ?
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:07:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 3:04:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#20]
Originally Posted By TotalUnRecall:
What model is the rx?
View Quote

Spektrum™ SR6200A DSMR receiver with AVC

From their site:

When combined with Smart ESC and Spektrum Smart LiPo batteries, the SR6200A can pass along a multitude of helpful telemetry and battery data with no additional modules, sensors or wires.

@TotalUnRecall

ETA, I may have found the issue. It mentions needing to rebind if you are in 5.5ms frame rate mode and want telemetry in 11ms mode. That can be interpreted that telemetry only works at 11ms frame rate. I will try that when I get home.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 5:10:17 PM EDT
[#21]
That thing is big.  I had an Outcast 6S a few years ago and that thing was a beast.  It handled surprisingly well and took a beating.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Col_Sanders:
That thing is big.  I had an Outcast 6S a few years ago and that thing was a beast.  It handled surprisingly well and took a beating.
View Quote

She is a bit large. Here is a profile compare of the 6s vs 8s.

I'll have to get some videos when it warms up.

I couldn't believe how big the 10,000mAh 4s batteries were.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 6:31:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Very cool there OP

Get another one and put straps on them and you could use them as powered roller skates. You would be saving the planet from global warming, cooling or change, what ever they come up with next.  
View Quote

I was thinking it would make a great platform for a moving target system riding on top of it.  I made one years ago off a E-Max but it's battery life wasnt sufficient to use for very long and always pooped out half way through a range session

How much run time do you get with this monster?
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I've considered an 8s Arrma many times, but haven't picked one up. I have several of their 1/7th scale 6s trucks and enjoy them..The Mojave and Fireteam are great. I see you're in OH. What part of the state are you in? It's always more fun to run with other people.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#25]
looks wild

ARRMA KRATON 8S // Rule The World [ARA110002]
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 8:15:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By StromBusa:

looks wild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6a8cy5E6QI
View Quote

That's the original 8s. The EXB version I have had 15% more power lol.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 8:17:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Burnsome-:
Very cool there OP

I was thinking it would make a great platform for a moving target system riding on top of it.  I made one years ago off a E-Max but it's battery life wasnt sufficient to use for very long and always pooped out half way through a range session

How much run time do you get with this monster?
View Quote

Driving full throttle nearly all the time bashing I get about 20 non stop minutes.

If I drive like a same person I bet I'd get an hour.

I had an E-Maxx back in the day, and I thought I was awesome for having 3,000mah NiMH batteries. These are 10,000mah batteries.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 8:17:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By golfcarz:
I've considered an 8s Arrma many times, but haven't picked one up. I have several of their 1/7th scale 6s trucks and enjoy them..The Mojave and Fireteam are great. I see you're in OH. What part of the state are you in? It's always more fun to run with other people.
View Quote

SW corner, Cincinnati area.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:08:34 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By golfcarz:

Almost close enough. I'm a little West of Dayton.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 3:31:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:04:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By TotalUnRecall:

Makes sense. So did it work?
View Quote

At first, no. It would make a weird buzzing noise whenever I hit the throttle and the steering was dead. Tried it a dozen times. Tried to recalibrate the ESC and it wouldn't go into calibration mode.

I ended up resetting the radio to defaults by wiping every setting and starting fresh. Bound right up.

Now I need to figure out how to get telemetry data on the main screen. When I select main screen on the Telemetry menu, it doesn't do anything differently. The manual is...lacking. I may have to send an email to their support staff.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 5:31:10 PM EDT
[#33]
I work with a guy who has the old 8s version and the new one. It is stupid fast and takes a beating.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 9:42:47 AM EDT
[#34]
It's either been single digits outside, or it's been pouring down rain here.

I've ran this thing twice now is all. Getting cabin fever a bit.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:35:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#35]
Broke my first part today. Clobbered the playset and cracked a wheel of all things.

I'll say this thing is tough. Really tough.

And zero thermal issues that seems to plague all the Traxxas models I experience.

Now I kinda want a Limitless V2.

I need to think how to capture video.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#36]
I need to think how to capture video.
View Quote

Chase drone!
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:45:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By crazyelece:

Chase drone!
View Quote

I tried that with my DJI FPV. Cars are very hard to chase.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:57:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrZero] [#38]
I have an OG 6S Outcast.  I had to rebuild some of it when it was run over by a truck doing 45mph (my son was driving the RC at the time and ran it into a busy street from the park sidewalk)  Only aftermarkets I put on it have been upper and lower arms and a fan kit for the motor.  Rebuilt the center diff and changed out oil weights.  A silly fun basher that just runs and runs.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 1:36:56 AM EDT
[#39]
5th scale is a whole universe unto itself. I had a Losi 5ive a few years back.

It was my first 5th scale gas truck, but I had been doing 10th scale electric since the mid 90's.

It was a really neat machine. Just spending hours in the shop wrenching and doing mods was therapeutic.

When I retired, I gave it to a younger coworker who was into RC and had young kids.

If you have the space (and cash), it is a really cool subculture of RC to get into.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top