Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2024 6:31:04 PM EDT
Curious what thoughts are using something like this for recreational diving? The depth is well within the range I would go. Like the idea it uses my iPhone for easy sharing of pics and videos.

https://www.sealife-cameras.com/sportdiver-underwater-smartphone-housing/
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 7:15:29 PM EDT
[#1]
$350??

get da fuck outta here
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 7:52:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FB41] [#2]
@talontsi_95

Having used more than a dozen underwater housings for various cameras and associated lights, I offer this: DON'T use it. It WILL flood eventually and there goes your phone.

Buy a cheap UW camera- hell, they even make disposable digital ones now.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 7:57:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FB41:
@talontsi_95

Having used more than a dozen underwater housings for various cameras and associated lights, I offer this: DON'T use it. It WILL flood eventually and there goes your phone.

Buy a cheap UW camera- hell, they even make disposable digital ones now.
View Quote

Any suggestions on what cameras to look at? I would like video and good stills are important too.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 8:35:45 PM EDT
[#4]
IF you use a phone housing, I’d only use it with an OLDER phone that’s not your current ones.

Get a GoPro. Take video and pull stills off the video.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 12:27:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FB41] [#5]
Originally Posted By talontsi_95:

Any suggestions on what cameras to look at? I would like video and good stills are important too.
View Quote

@talontsi_95

Kodak and Fujifilm are the only 2 that I have experience with; both are waterproof to about 40'. Any deeper and you will need strobes along flash to get colors to come out.

As far as housings go, in my opinion, Ikelight housing are the gold standard.

Regardless which you choose, like @Marie said, DON'T use your regular phone!

Edit- Check this site for some camera tips.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:28:30 PM EDT
[#6]
So Im thinking a GoPro 12 with their underwater case? What are the thoughts on that? I guess it gives me an excuse to finally get a GoPro.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:26:29 PM EDT
[#7]
So Im thinking a GoPro 12 with their underwater case? What are the thoughts on that? I guess it gives me an excuse to finally get a GoPro.
View Quote

Much better choice. I know divers using GoPros on deep trimix divers and doing excellent photogrammetry with them.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Marie:

Much better choice. I know divers using GoPros on deep trimix divers and doing excellent photogrammetry with them.
View Quote

Good to know. I appreciate it. Do you recommend getting a red filter for the GoPro? Im curious if one is needed for 20-30ft deep. I want to be prepared.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 10:17:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Good to know. I appreciate it. Do you recommend getting a red filter for the GoPro? Im curious if one is needed for 20-30ft deep. I want to be prepared.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Marie:

I wouldn’t know! I dive fresh water that tends towards green so friends often use magenta filters
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:31:47 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

@talontsi_95
The red spectrum is the first to "vanish" at the depth you're looking at. A red filter wouldn't do much good, unless it puts the color back in. Carry a dive light and shine it on any subject you're interested in to make the colors "come back".
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:39:42 AM EDT
[#11]

@talontsi_95
The red spectrum is the first to "vanish" at the depth you're looking at. A red filter wouldn't do much good, unless it puts the color back in. Carry a dive light and shine it on any subject you're interested in to make the colors "come back".
View Quote

Maybe filter is the wrong word. Its a red flap that flips down to add the red back in.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:11:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Maybe filter is the wrong word. Its a red flap that flips down to add the red back in.
View Quote

Warming/cooling Gel filters, to filter out blue light a yellow-orange filter is used a lot. I don’t dive so I can’t speak to what actually works underwater, but it’s pretty much a necessity for reef aquarium photography with small sensor cameras

No filter

Orange filter on camera
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:12:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd get a Backscatter flip filter set, it'll attach to your GoPro housing itself and works pretty well. You'll also want some type of flood (not spot) pattern light (120* beam or so) for underwater photo/video.

Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:
I'd get a Backscatter flip filter set, it'll attach to your GoPro housing itself and works pretty well. You'll also want some type of flood (not spot) pattern light (120* beam or so) for underwater photo/video.

View Quote

That's a nice looking piece. One of them comes with a macro lens. Its funny because the attachment is almost the cost of a brand new GoPro12.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 6:16:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: talontsi_95] [#15]
Picked up the GoPro12 today. Excited to try it out. Got the bundle with extra battery, case, head mount and floating selfi stick thing. Bought the water resistant case too.

I picked up a 512GB memory card. What are your guys thoughts on memory size while shooting 4k @120? Havent found a definitive answer on roughly how many minutes of video 512GB will do.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 7:29:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Easy to figure out. Take a 1 minute video and see how big the file is. Won't matter if it's underwater or not, just make sure it has some motion in the video and not just static images.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:44:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Easy to figure out. Take a 1 minute video and see how big the file is. Won't matter if it's underwater or not, just make sure it has some motion in the video and not just static images.
View Quote

Didnt think of that. Ill try it out tonight when I setup the camera.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:33:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:

View Quote

Just bought the filter set last night. The backscatter crew are top notch. The gentleman on the phone was incredibly knowledgeable and helpful. Can wait to mount this up to the GoPro.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top